Oblivion

W - Another side of Two Worlds

“Wake up. Please wake up, Oh Yeon Joo…..!”

A soft breeze blew. It was indeed calming. She was awake but she felt unwell, so she didn’t even bother to open her eyes. Her palms and feet were numb with cold. She finally opened her eyes.

White ceiling, green curtain. Hospital, huh? She felt dizzy.

As a few first seconds passed, she didn’t even care where she was at.

Footsteps were heard. A man in a doctor coat opened the left curtain.

“Yah, Oh Yeon Joo! You awake? You should have called someone if you’re awake.”

“S..Seok Beom?”

A bunch of memories were pushed into her head all of the sudden, creating an awful pain inside of her head. She remembered the last time she was here with Chul. It was the scene where she was crying, thinking of the disappearance of her dad inside the manhwa world.

“You ok? I’ll call someone.”

“No don’t! Seok Beom a, I missed you and the others so so so much. You guys didn’t even existed there.. ”

“You.. We’ve been assigned to checked on you every hour no matter how busy our schedule was.”

“Wait. Where’s my phone? What date is it today?”

“Did you hurt your head? Should I make an appointment with the psychological professor for you? What happened to you Yeon Joo a? You’ve been resting on the extra bed of  ICU since yesterday.”

“Yesterday? I passed my highschool and college life all over again. And it’s just in one day? This is too cruel..”

“Where’s Kang Chul…?”

“Kang.. Who? Should I call your dad? Writer Oh.., where’s him? Wait.. wait.. I’ll try to contact him.”

“Seok Beom a, my dad is gone..” 

Seok Beom went outside while mumbling something.

“He’s gonna be sad to see her daughter like this.”

"Why..? Almost everyone here knows Kang Chul though.."

The curtain on the other side was opened.

Someone appeared at the other curtain.

He was wearing a dark navy blue toned formal working suit, smiling at Yeon Joo.

That eyes, nose, and lips. She missed them so much.

“You don’t like it? Weird. The book definitely said so.. don’t girls like surprises?”

“Kang.. ? Kang.. Chul aa..” She hugged him tightly.

“I thought I’ll never ever see you again. I’ve been where you didn’t existed, passed those years all over all by myself and saw you being created again.” Said Yeon Joo while crying.

“Did you have bad dreams? That’s not fair. I got a good one…where we’ve gotten into a marriage and we were both on a park bench by the river.”

“No! No it’s not just a dream. Please believe me, Kang Chul a. I don’t think anyone besides you would believe me. I….was inside my past life…. Where I didn’t even know all of the people around me now! W was just created not long ago there, before I woke up here..”

“Then, was there me inside? Who were there?”

“My omma, appa, friends from the highschool, university, and.. Soo Bong..”

“Soo Bong.. I borrowed a lot from him. He must be distressed, huh?”

“He’s the only person who knew about the manhwa world, just like us, now that appa is gone.”

“Things like this happened to me a lot ya know?” said Chul proudly.

“Like this?”

“Having a long dream. It’s not just a regular dream. But I must not tell it to anyone. It could last months, years, and when I woke up. It’s just been half day.”

“You too? Why haven’t you told me before?! Aren’t you my husband?”

“It’s not a simple thing to be told. Those scenes were drawn and deleted.”

Yeon Joo was starled, she stepped back a bit, and she sat down on the edge of the white bed.

“I got the same nightmare every night back then. The scene where I jumped down to the sea not long after my family got killed and after they framed me. But then I woke up. I have never done that. It was a deleted scene made by your dad, and it turned into my dream every night instead. Someone must have drawn and deleted them on purpose to show you something.”

“What? But.. it’s not possible! Isn’t dad gone?!”

Chul’s body slowly turned into transparent. This time, it’s not just one of his hands.

“Oh no! Chul a? What.. what should I do…?! What..What happened to you...?!” Yeon Joo panicked.

“Sorry, I..have no time to explain. Things sure are obscure this time. They just happen. People are forgetting me. Even in the real world and not in the manhwa world. Someone has created new variables. Take care. I’ll go check them out for awhile.” Chul teleported into the manhwa world without any other words.

“What should I do, Appa? Did Soo Bong make these scenes? No way, why would he do this? I don’t want Chul to disappear just like Appa. I don’t want him to fade out.”

A ringtone was heard. It was her cellphone.

“Soo Bong?” “Soo Bong a, where are you? Something scary is happening. Please listen to me.”

“Noona, are you ok?”

“Soo Bong.. What have happened?”

“Noona, just like Chul told me before, that unexpected things can always happen in a manhwa world. Check it out. It is back to “To Be Continued”...”

“Really? How’s that possible? But.. Appa is gone…”

“When Chul died in the sea, you drew him being saved. When you were shot by Han Sang Hoon, Teacher drew you, and you’re back, alive.”

“What are you trying to say?” said Yeon Joo, nervously, she couldn't believe what she was listening to.

“Noona! Get a hold of yourself! How can you chose Chul more than your dad?! Your dad is a human, just like us, but Chul is just a manhwa character. How could you do that?!” said Soo Bong while crying.

“Omo, are you drunk? This is not a time for you to drink. Kang..”

“Yes! You’re right! I’ve been drinking since last night. I swear to teacher this might be the first and last time I stole his precious liquor!!”

“Soo Bong a…. Tell.. Tell me, what have you done?”

 The line was cut.