A New Beginning

W - Another side of Two Worlds

Two years later, June 2006

“So what do you think after becoming a Sophomore at a Medical University?”

“I feel empty.”

“I feel like I’m dying, this is too much, what about you Yeon Joo?”

“I don’t know.”

A small group of university students were chatting in a book store.

“But Yeon Joo. How’s your depression or anxiety?”

“It is good. The psychiatrist said to do something happy for myself. Lemme search for some manhwa before we leave.”

“Sure. Oh have you heard about W?”

“W? Do you know about W?!”

“What? The first book was just released last week. It’s soo cool.”

“Aish, you guys are reading manhwa at this age?”

“What about it?! It is so good. Oh Seung Moo is awesome. I look forward to the next chapter.”

"Oh Seung Moo?!"

She ran to see it with her own eyes.

“Yah wait for me Yeon Joo a.”

Two years ago, the psychiatrist Yeon Joo met, told Yeon Joo that she suffered from a severe anxiety and paranoia. But she refused to take the pills as she knew that they could create addiction. She would cry to sleep almost every night, despite not knowing what the reason was, and she kept having the same dream, meeting the same people in the dream, including the tall lean guy. The dreams were almost like, as if, she had another life somewhere, at the same time.

“Did Dad actually made this manhwa?” “Kang Ch..ul..? President Kang..?”, Yeon Joo remembered something while reading the manhwa.

Yeon Joo closed her eyes. A vision of her kissing a tall lean guy at a shopping centre popped into her mind. The time seemed to stop, it felt warm, he looked shocked at the moment and so did everyone around them. She saw some words and then she ran into the fitting room.

She opened her eyes. She touched her lips.

“What the heck? Did I know someone who looks like him before?”

“Eiiii stop dreaming Yeon Joo a. Kang Chul is too perfect to be real. Let’s go get this and return to our class.”

"Is it really just a dream..?"

Yeon Joo kept dialing her dad’s number. “The number you are calling is…..”

She tried calling her old house (the house her dad is staying at).

“Hello, this..this i-is Park Soo Bong. The Author is currently busy preparing things. So c-can I help you ins-instead?”

He sounded as if this was his first time answering it this way. Yeon Joo laughed.

“Hello, is he there though? Tell him that his daughter is coming.”

She got down from the cab as soon as she arrived.

“Soo Bong a, where’s him?”

“Hello, nice to meet you, I’m Park Soo Bong. And they are Ms.Seon Mi and Ms.Yoon Hee.”

“Oh! Soo Bong a. Where’s Appa?”

“There. Urm. Why are you acting as if we were close friend?

"Heol.... Sorry, what’s wrong with me..? But still you need to call me Noona later on anyway.”

 

January 2004

Park Soo Bong’s POV:

At the small alley between buildings, beside a pile of garbage, a highschool student was being beaten, bullied by his peers.

 “WHERE’S MY MONEY YOU STUPID KID?!”, the tallest student shouted at him while kicking him once. He fell right in front of a trash can. His glasses fell down and one of the guy stepped on it. The other 3 guys laughed at him. 

 “Nerd!!” “Loser!!” The rest started kicking the can and kicking him at the same time.

He held all the pain. It’s useless to fight back without his glasses. He could barely see clearly even in a 1-meter-radius.

“S…Stop.. Stopppp..... I said STOPPP!!”, his patience was gone.

“What?” That tall guy grabbed his necktie. “Did you just talk back? Did I ask you to answer me?”

“Yes… Why? Are you surprised?”

“WOooo”, the rest of the guys were smiling.

“Should we make him our piñata?”

“Sounds good.”

“Lemme find a baseball bat.”

As they were talking, a middle aged man walked out from a mart beside the dark alley, he brought a plastic of bottled beer and canned beer and he was about to throw an empty can to the pile of garbage when he saw a group of students with uniforms covered with some dirt standing there.

“HEY! What are you boys doing?!”

“It’s… nothing...”

A hand on the floor grabbed his leg.

“Idiot. Don’t touch my leg.”

The man walked closer, “You punks, that’s a cop over there. You wanna get beaten by police? Or maybe me?”

He pointed inside the mart, then he pointed at himself. Two police were inside.

"Damn, let's continue next time guys." The tallest walked away. One by one, they ran away. 

“Kid, are you ok?”

“Y-yes.”

“Go to the hospital now!”

“Nah, I’m fine. Thankyou Ahjussi.”

“Call me Mr. Oh Seung Moo. What’s your name, kid?”

“P-Park Soo Bong..”

January 2006

Highschool students were filling something on their table.

During last year, Park Soo Bong changed so much. He used to be a total scaredy cat. His lack of confidence was always a reason for him to be laughing-stock among his peers. Now he was much better. Although, still, he won't be considered as a confident guy.

Please fill in the blanks.

Number 4, what’s your plan after your high school graduation? I’m gonna work with my life-savior. I’ve just recently realized that I have the same passion with him, so I’m gonna help him with his work.”

Number 5, what’s the university you’re applying for? None.”

 

One fine afternoon, Park Soo Bong was right in front of Oh Seung Moo's house.

“Mr. Oh Seung Moo… H-Hello? Is anyone home?” Nobody answered. It seemed like nobody was home.

With his trembling hands from taking to much books, Soo Bong accidentally touched the gate.

“Oh? It’s opened!”

 

“Hellooo? Is anyone home??”

Oh Seung Moo was so shocked, did he forget to lock the gate? Again? He accidentally kicked the chair where he’s standing. The rope started to choke him, while he pulled the rope around his neck, trying to make it not so tight.

Park Soo Bong heard the sound of something falling.

“Mr. Oh Seung Moo?” He went to find the source.

“H-help!”

How shocked he was, when he saw what's in front of his eyes. Oh Seung Moo was hanging himself up in the ceiling of his bedroom.

“Mr. Oh Seung Moo!!! What happened??! What's this??!”

He tried to find something. With his trembling hands, he put the chair back.

“Wait.. wait…WAIT!! I’m going to find a scissor!!”

He went to the kitchen. He came back with a knife instead.

“NOO, you can’t die!! You're my hero. I wanna be your student. I want to learn a lot from you!!”

“You’re late kid. I untied the rope.” said Oh Seung Moo, sitting on that chair, while touching his neck. He's still trying to catch his breath.

“Are you ok, Sir? Accept me as your disciple, please, Teacher Oh. I wanna be a manhwa artist one day!!”, said Soo Bong while giving Seung Moo a bottle of new mineral water.

“You punk! You dare to become my rival?!”, said Oh Seung Moo with an angry face while drinking the water.

“No, no, I didn’t mean that. Anyway, I wanna be one of your assistant. You...you saved my life once....”

“...And you saved me today..”

“I’ve been drawing my whole life, even on my textbooks, sir. I bring a lot of my sketches today. Look there’s this …, and this..., and this as well as....”

“Fine. I guess, I really need some assistants. Actually I planned to have only 2 assistants, but now I’ll make it 3.”

“Re-really? T-Thankyou Teacher Oh.”, said Park Soo Bong with eyes full of tears.

“You can’t die, Teacher.. You’re my hero!! So how can you die?? You finally make a manhwa which is the most anticipated, after all this years. This.. this is the first time I’ve read a manhwa with such a cool plot and characters. People... are waiting for the next chapter!! So how can you just kill yourself??!” He wiped his tears away with his sleeve and he continued crying, sitting on the floor.

That was the first time Oh Seung Moo began to think that it's not that bad to be alive. People now need him to continue the chapter.