Amaryllis

Perfectly Imperfect

Amaryllis – splendid beauty


 

 

               Yongguk cursed under his breath as he walked on the empty pavement. It was late at night and he had finished his work an hour ago, but had to keep watch around the town right after that. Had it not been for those rogues who had sent an alert saying that they would come for a visit in the nearest future, he would be lying peacefully on his bed right now.

               His feet came to a halt and he released a heavy sigh because he didn’t found anything suspicious after more than an hour of walking. Having started from downtown, he was now in a residential area that he had to patrol from street to street. Most of the houses were dark, the owners probably sleeping.

               Maybe a little rest would do. Yongguk scanned his surroundings for a nice spot and when he saw a large tree behind a house, he nodded to himself. He passed by the front, noticing that the lights were still on, but he just shrugged it off, thinking that he just wanted to borrow a tree. He jogged around the house to go to the back. However, his feet almost gave up on him when an amazing scent invaded his nose.

               Yongguk gasped, like the air was knocked out of his lungs. He had never smelled something so wonderful before. It was so delightful, so pleasant, so great, so magical. It was everything good that could not be explained with words. It made his heartbeat increase drastically.

               Yongguk dragged his feet along the remaining distance. The large tree was behind a wall, which was pretty high to climb. But nothing physical was ever too hard for him. He got on top of it in the blink of an eye before quietly jumping onto a tree branch. He directly saw someone down there and he forgot how to breathe again.

               It was a young man, looking so tiny from his view on the top of the tree. The man was squatting in front of a row of flowerpots, delicately caressing the flowers. The sight was so breathtaking, that Yongguk’s heart was hammering in his chest. The scent was even stronger than before. It smelled like honey, or caramel, or even chocolate, something that made him want to have a taste right away.

               He moved a little to the side of the branch, wanting to see the man’s face. What he saw was beyond anything his brain could think to describe. His tanned skin was gorgeous, his full lips were enticing, his eyebrows looked as if they were drawn on. His hair seemed so soft and it fell over his eyes in a thin curtain. The sight of him inhaling the fragrance of the flower was something Yongguk could admire forever. He had his eyes closed, but when they opened, Yongguk could swear they were the most beautiful he had ever seen.

               “Who’s there?!”

               Yongguk flinched in surprise. He blinked for a few times until he realized that he was already on the ground, just a couple of meters away from the beautiful creature. The man looked scared, his eyes wide as he looked in his direction.

               Yongguk knew he was not supposed to reveal himself like this. He should have planned something to make it seem like they got to know each other naturally. But everything about this man attracted him so much, that he couldn’t control his own mind and body anymore.

               “Who’s there?” the young man asked again. Even his voice sounded like honey, Yongguk thought.

                “Um… me…?” he timidly answered.       

                “Who are you? Why are you here?” The man looked a little less frightened than before, confusion and curiosity drawn on his face.

                “I’m Yongguk. I don’t know how, but… I just stumbled here.”

                The man lowered his head, his long fringe hiding his pretty eyes again, much to Yongguk’s disappointment.

                “But how did you get here? I thought the wall is pretty high,” he wondered.

                “Climbing it is a small matter to me.” Yongguk shrugged before squatting down too but still kept the distance between them. “You shouldn’t be out here during a time like this. It’s late and dangerous.”

                The man snorted. “Yeah, you’ve shown that to me.”

                “Hey, believe me, I’m not a bad guy,” Yongguk quickly defended himself.

                “I know.” The man smiled genuinely. “If you were a bad guy, you would’ve done something to me.”

               A strange feeling stirred Yongguk’s gut at that. Usually, people would think him a bad guy based on his cold attitude and the solemn appearance of his human form. But he was starting to realize that he was not so cold towards this man. He stared at the beautiful face as he thought about it, wondering if the man had cast a spell on him.

                “So… are you going to stay longer or…” the young man asked awkwardly after a moment of silence.

               Yongguk heard that, but he just couldn’t stop staring. “You’re beautiful…” he unintentionally blurted out, causing the man’s cheeks to redden.

               “Hyung! Where are you?” Another man’s voice sounded from inside the house.

                The man promptly stood up on his feet, picking a white stick from the ground along with him. “I have to go in.” He sent a smile in Yongguk’s direction. He turned around and began tapping the walking stick in front of him on the grassy lawn.

               That was another thing that made Yongguk’s breath still that night. Something clicked in his head. It was about how the man wouldn’t look directly in his eyes when they talked, how the man kept asking if someone was there with him even if the person was obviously standing within an arm’s reach. It was how the man’s eyes looked so full of wonder, so pure and innocent,  so beautiful.

                “Wait!” Yongguk stood up to call the man before he could get into the house. “What’s your name?”

                The man stopped walking and slightly turned his head to the side. “Daehyun.” He smiled.

 

 

 

 

               Daehyun was sitting on the bed after washing himself in the bathroom. His brother had taken a pajama from his wardrobe before placing it in his hands, telling him to change. Daehyun had been blind as long as he could remember and he could do things on his own. However, his brother loved to help. Though it annoyed him at times, there was nothing he could do about it. He was used to Jongup’s help as much as he was used to being sightless.

                “Where have you been?” Jongup asked, tugging Daehyun’s arm to make him stand up so he could put his pants on.

                “Outside,” Daehyun said, pulling the pants up to his hips after gaining his balance.

                “I told you not to go outside alone,” Jongup scolded. He sat his older brother down on the bed again before giving the shirt for him to wear.

                “But it’s just our backyard,” Daehyun grumbled as he slowly put on the shirt on his own. “And by the way, there’s someone I met.”

                Jongup was of course shocked to hear that. “What? Who?”

                “Um…” Daehyun thought for a second, unaware of his brother’s anxious expression.

                Jongup left the older man to be in his own world while he went to the window and moved the curtain to take a look outside.

                “Ah, I forgot his name,” Daehyun groaned in frustration.

                “I see nobody outside,” Jongup said, still darting his eyes around the backyard in search of the certain someone. “Hyung, you’re being delusional.”

                Daehyun just realized that his brother was not standing in front of him anymore. He turned his head to where he thought Jongup was standing based on his voice. “No, I’m telling the truth,” he countered.

                Jongup shook his head, though Daehyun couldn’t see it. “Whatever, it’s time for you to sleep.” He went to his older brother again and told him to lie down.

                Daehyun sulkily snuggled his pillows when Jongup tucked the blanket over his body. He didn’t care what his brother got to say because he knew he really did meet a guy in his backyard just now. The guy sounded nice; he had something that was drawing Daehyun in. He really hoped he could meet him one more time.

 

 

 

 


Proofread by Sempiternalis

 

A/N:

Idk how this story will go from here since this is my first time writing about shapeshifters and disability. But I'll do my best for you guys and bangdae :D

thanks to upvoters, subscribers, readers and commenters! XOXO