Hydrangea

Perfectly Imperfect

Hydrangea – heartfelt emotions


 

                Daehyun woke up as soon as his alarm went off. He grumbled before fumbling for his ringing phone on the bedside. When he almost knocked a night lamp off the table in the process, he remembered that he was not in his own room.

                After turning off the alarm, Daehyun began groping the other side of the bed until his hand met with someone’s back. He straightway gave it a few taps to wake the person up, earning a groan as a reply.

                “Get up. They may come and call us for breakfast,” Daehyun said before sitting up on the bed.

                Jongup rolled onto his back while stretching up his body. “What time is it?” he asked, voice still husky from sleep.

                “7.45.”

                Jongup yawned, finally cracking his eyes open. His brother was sitting next to him while rubbing his eyes with both of his hands.

                “How’s your ankle, hyung?”

                Daehyun promptly tried to move his foot. He brought it out of the blanket to run his hand along his bare ankle, given that the bandage had been removed before he went to bed. It seemed to be less swollen compared to yesterday. “It feels better, I think.”

                “That’s good.” Jongup got up and sat on the bed. He wanted to examine the injured ankle on his own, but then he noticed that his brother was still rubbing his eyes. It was weird since nobody would rub their eyes for that long even if they had just woken up.

                “What’s wrong?”

                “I don’t know. My eyes itch,” Daehyun whined.

                Jongup’s brows knitted together as he thought for all the possible reasons. “Maybe it’s an allergic reaction? What did you eat yesterday?”

                Daehyun hummed to himself, trying to recall yesterday’s events. “The same thing as you did?”

                “Let me see.” Jongup took Daehyun’s hands away from his eyes, which were blinking rapidly after that, but there was not anything weird going on. Maybe a little bit puffy, but that was quite a common thing after waking up. “Your eyes look fine. Do you want to go for a checkup?”

                “I don’t know. Maybe it will go away later.” Daehyun shut his eyes tightly and just pressed them gently with his palms, since his knuckles were starting to hurt his eyes from all the rubbing he did. It crossed his mind that he might be crying too much last night, but of course he wouldn’t tell his brother about it.

                “Why don’t you try washing them with water?” Jongup suggested.

                “Yeah, I’ll do that.” Daehyun sighed before bringing down his feet to the floor.

                Realizing that his brother was about to get off the bed, Jongup quickly jumped off his side of the bed before rushing to his brother. “Can you stand up?” he asked, hands already wrapped around Daehyun’s arms to help him.

                With his eyes still shut, Daehyun held onto Jongup’s arms in front of him as he tried to stand up. He put all the weight of his body on one foot first, the one without the sprain. Then, he slowly pressed the heel of the injured foot on the floor. It was less painful than before. He could walk with a limp, but still let Jongup assist him since he needed a guide to the bathroom anyway.

 

 

 

                Daehyun had just done washing himself when someone knocked on the door, whereas Jongup was still in the bathroom. Grabbing his cane on the bedside table, he slowly limped towards the door, being extra careful since he wasn’t really familiar with the room’s layout.

                “Wait a minute!” He only walked straight towards where the knocking sound was coming from, with his cane tapping in front of him. He only took a few seconds to reach the door since it was only a short distance from the bed, but he needed a few more seconds to find the knob. After figuring out how to work it out, he finally managed to open the door.

                “Morning, Daehyun,” Yongguk greeted, a wide smile immediately etched on his face once his mate came into view.

                Daehyun was also grinning broadly after hearing the deep voice that he loved so much. “Morning, hyung.”

                “I bring my mom to check on your ankle.”

                “Good morning, Daehyun,” Minjee greeted from Yongguk’s side. “I see you can already stand on your feet.”

                Yongguk had only realized of that matter. He was just too happy to see his mate again that he actually forgot that Daehyun wasn’t supposed to be able to walk yet.

                “Yeah, I was surprised too,” Daehyun said.

                “Come on, let me see the sprain.” Minjee took a hold of Daehyun’s arm and guided him back to the bed with Yongguk silently going after them.

                She made Daehyun leaned against the headboard and brought the injured foot up onto the mattress. Yongguk took Daehyun’s cane and leaned it against the wall before handing his mother the box of supplies he had been carrying. The woman then laid it open beside her on the bed.

                “What kind of ointment did you use, aunty?” Daehyun wondered aloud. “It works really fast.”

                “Oh, it’s just some herbs that Aunt Narae mixed by herself,” Minjee replied. “Did you take the tonic?”

                “Yeah. I kinda like its taste. It’s not that bitter like most of herbal drinks.”

                “That’s good. That tonic probably helps to heal your injury too.” Minjee tilted Daehyun’s foot from side to side to examine the sprain. She didn’t expect the swelling would subside this fast. Without using the link, she just sent a meaningful look to Yongguk, who acknowledged her with a nod.

                “I will refill the bottle and you can take it home. And the ointment too,” she said while applying the said ointment around Daehyun’s ankle.

                “Oh, don’t bother. I think I’ll be fine from now on.”

                “It’s okay. The tonic is very good for your health too besides healing.”

                Daehyun tried to refuse again, since the tonic probably required a lot of effort to be prepared and he didn’t want to just easily take it. But Minjee kept insisting on it until he finally gave in to her.

                “Aren’t you joining us for breakfast?” Yongguk asked when his mother was bandaging Daehyun’s ankle.

                “Sure, but you can go ahead first. I’ll go with Jongup later.” Daehyun flashed a radiant smile in Yongguk’s direction.

                Yongguk internally cooed at his adorable mate. He would’ve kissed him if his mother wasn’t around.

                Daehyun thanked Minjee after she was done treating his ankle. She went out of the room with Yongguk helping her to take the supply box.

                “I don’t know if your mate is someone who can heal faster than other people, or the tonic actually works. But I know for most people, a sprain like that usually takes three to seven days to heal,” she told her son as they walked towards the dining room.

                “Whatever it is, I’m just glad he’s healing fast.” Yongguk shrugged his shoulders. “But we can find out if the tonic does have an effect on him. We just have to constantly give it to him and see if anything happens to his eyesight.”

                “That’s why I wanted him to take the tonic home.” Minjee raised his brows before winking at her son, causing Yongguk to chuckle at her.

 

 

 

                “Good morning and good news!” Suwoong exclaimed while making a dramatic entrance into the dining room with Minsu following behind, who went straight to his seat.

                “Good morning, Suwoong.” Dongwan carved an amused smile. “What’s so good about the news you have?”

                “Of course it is! Because today’s classes have been cancelled!” Suwoong threw his hands up in triumph.

                “Really?!” Jongup asked in surprise mixed with excitement.

                “Yeah! I just got the text!”

                Jongup quickly put down his chopsticks before taking out his phone from his pocket. Suwoong went to sit next to him and both of them high fived each other after Jongup confirmed the news.

                “How many classes do you have today?” Jungsu asked. “It can’t be possible for all of them to be cancelled.”

                “We only have two classes today. One lecturer has a conference to attend and the other has to go outstation,” Suwoong explained.

                “If so, Daehyun and Jongup can stay here longer,” Minjee suggested.

                “Oh, no, that’s okay. We gave you enough trouble already,” Jongup refused politely.

                “Yeah,” Daehyun agreed with his brother. “Yongguk hyung can just drop us home on his way to work. It’s easier than having someone else to send us later.”

                “Aw… I was just thinking on having a long, fun chat with you,” Minjee complained in a sulky tone.

                “Ah, don’t be like that, aunty. I promise I’ll come again soon,” Daehyun coaxed the woman and Yongguk just smiled softly, amused with their conversation.

                Minjee sighed, but her lips were smiling. “Alright, I’ll hold onto your promise.”

                “What about your assignment, boys?” Eunbyul asked the two college friends.

                “Oh, we finished it last night!” Suwoong answered with his cheeks stuffed with food, even gave a thumbs up to her.

                “Wow, this is the first time you’ve finished an assignment before the deadline,” Dongwan’s brows raised in pure disbelief.

                “Is that a compliment, uncle? If yes, then thank you,” Suwoong said with a miffed smile.

                Sungjoon scoffed. “It’s all because you got Jongup as your partner,” he pointed out. Minsu agreed by nodding his head.

                Jongup waved a hand at her. “Nah, Suwoong actually did a good job on his own.”

                With that being said, Suwoong slowly turned to look at his friend. His expression was filled with gratitude and appreciation as he stared at the latter.

                Jongup arched an eyebrow at Suwoong and seconds later, he was pulled into a tight hug.

                “Man, I love you, man,” Suwoong said while patting Jongup’s back repeatedly.

                The elders were all smiling and shaking their heads as they watched Suwoong’s antics, moreover when Jongup had an irritated forced smile on his face. He just let Suwoong hug him for as long as he wanted and at the same moment, his eyes landed on Youngjae, who was sitting at the other side of the table.

                The man was smiling, a beautiful and genuine smile that he had been wishing for a chance to see. Their gaze were connected for a brief moment until Youngjae quickly diverted it down and now, the man’s face was turning pink. The adorable sight melted his heart and he could feel his face heating up too.

 

 

 

                Yongguk rounded the car after they had arrived at the Jungs’ house. “You can go open the door. I’ll help Daehyun out,” he told Jongup, who was getting off the back seat.

                “Okay.” Jongup closed the door and slung his backpack onto his shoulder, whereas Daehyun’s bag was carried in his hand. He opened the gate and went to unlock the door next.

                Daehyun safely got out of the car with Yongguk’s help and his arm was immediately hooked around Yongguk’s neck. Yongguk held onto his dangling wrist, while the man’s other hand was on his hip.

                “It’ll be quicker if I carry you in my arms,” Yongguk said.

                Daehyun snorted. “No, hyung. This is fine.”

                Jongup had entered the house and was probably opening the windows. Both Yongguk and Daehyun eventually reached the doorstep after some time. Fastening his hold around Daehyun’s waist, Yongguk lifted his mate off the ground as he climbed up the step.

                Daehyun squeaked, his free hand flew to Yongguk’s chest, giving the man’s shirt a tight grip. Even though he was in the air for only a second since Yongguk had carefully put him down on his feet again, he was still caught off guard with the sudden move.

                “Why did you do that?!” Daehyun smacked Yongguk’s chest. “It scared the hell out of me!” He snarled and smacked the chest again.

                “I’m sorry, I’m sorry,” Yongguk chanted as he rubbed the sore attacked spot, pushing Daehyun’s hand down to his belly. “I thought it’ll be easier for you to step up.”

                “You should’ve told me about it first.” Daehyun glared in Yongguk’s direction before smacking a different spot on Yongguk’s chest.

                “Okay, okay, I’m sorry.” Yongguk grabbed Daehyun’s attacking hand, afraid if he would get hit again. “But it wouldn’t have happened if I just carried you from the start.”

                “And how would I know if your sticklike arms wouldn’t drop me halfway like what you did last night?”

                Yongguk widened his eyes at the latter. “What did you say? Sticklike arms?” He scoffed. “I’ll show you what my sticklike arms can do.”

                Yongguk immediately bent down to gather Daehyun’s legs before hauling the shorter man into his arms. Daehyun let out a yelp in a surprise when his feet were swept off the ground for the second time. He hung on to Yongguk’s neck for his dear life when he felt them moving from the previous spot.

                “I told you just now to warn me first before doing something like this,” Daehyun whined. He would’ve smacked Yongguk again if he wasn’t so scared to loosen his grip around Yongguk’s neck.

                “There would be no fun then,” Yongguk retorted, steadily carrying his mate into the house.

                “How come I don’t find this fun at all?”

                “Are you sure about that?” Yongguk asked before suddenly spinning the younger man around.

                Daehyun yelped again, but it was an amusing one this time. He burst into laughter when Yongguk started to walk normally again.

                Yongguk chuckled as he gazed at the beautiful man in his arms, not aware that Jongup was staring at them ever since they stepped into the house.

                Daehyun was gently settled onto his bed with Yongguk sitting down next to him. He exhaled a long relieved sigh when his ride had come to an end, even though he was just starting to enjoy it. He sat up on the bed after that, bringing his feet down to the floor so that he was sitting side to side with the older man.

                Yongguk sighed. The time he was dawdling over had come at last. “I’m off to work.”

                “Alright.” Daehyun was nibbling his lips before they turned into a shy smile. “Um… work hard…?

                Yongguk ran his fingers through his hair, trying to hold his laughter because Daehyun was suddenly acting so stiff with him. “Stop being so awkward or you’ll make me feel awkward too,” he muttered, nudging Daehyun’s arm with his elbow.

                Daehyun breathed out a nervous laugh, a pink tinge developed on his cheeks. “Well, I don’t know, I’ve never experienced something like this before,” he admitted, now covering his burning face with both of his hands.

                Yongguk was grinning from ear to ear that his cheeks were starting to hurt. He scooted closer to the other man until their thighs were brushing against each other. His arm then went around those narrow shoulders to bring Daehyun closer to him.

                “Something like what?” he asked close to Daehyun’s ear.

                Daehyun dropped his hands onto his lap and for a moment, he just stared blankly ahead. “Something like…” His voice trailed off when he turned to face Yongguk. His head tilting while smiling at the other man. “You…?”

                That was all Daehyun had to do for Yongguk to lose his composure. His mate could easily steal his heart again and he just had to pull him for a chaste kiss on the lips.

                Yongguk drew himself back after a short moment. Now, both of them were equally red in the face and Yongguk was fine even if he was the only one who knew about it. It would be embarrassing if Daehyun could somehow find out how hard he was blushing because of a kiss.

                “Take care of yourself and your ankle,” he reminded Daehyun.

                “You take care of yourself too,” Daehyun sheepishly replied. His gaze was casted down as he his lips, which were still warm from Yongguk’s touch.

                Yongguk just stared at his mate being precious in every possible way. He was reluctant to release the younger man from his hold. His heart was already yearning to be with its other half when he was yet to leave.

                “I’m gonna miss you,” he sighed before claiming Daehyun’s pillow lips again.

 

 

 

                Yongguk got out of the room with a sickeningly sweet smile on his face. He saw Jongup in the living room, busy arranging the small pillows on the couch. Yongguk didn’t realize that it was all an act since his mind was fully occupied by his mate. He casually said goodbye to the younger man before finally making his leave.

                Jongup followed Yongguk with his eyes until he disappeared behind the door. Later, he saw his brother coming out from his room, using the wall as a support to head towards the kitchen. Jongup took a minute to make up his mind before going after his brother.

                “Do you have something you want to tell me, hyung?” he asked as he stood at the kitchen’s entryway.

                Daehyun put down the cold water bottle onto the table after having a drink. “Um… I don’t think so.”

                “Really? Because I think I saw you kissing Yongguk hyung just now,” Jongup blurted out, causing his brother to freeze. “How come I didn’t know that you’re in a relationship with him?”

                He initially didn’t have any intention on spying his brother, but the way he was acting with the gym’s manager earlier had generate his curiousity. They seemed to be closer and more intimate compared to before. Also, the door to his brother’s room was not properly closed, which made it seemed like it was meant for him to take a peek through the small opening. He saw them at the exact moment when their lips were pressed against each other.

                “It’s not like I don’t want to tell you. We just got together like last night. Of course I’d tell you. I’ve been wanting to tell you since last night. I’m just waiting for the right timing to do so.”

                “When is the right timing?” Jongup went to the table, pulled out a chair and took a seat. “What about right now? Because I’m ready to hear whatever you have to tell me.”

                Daehyun’s face flushed. The situation was too sudden for him. He wasn’t ready to break the news without getting embarrassed by it. “What’s more to tell? Isn’t it obvious?”

                Jongup leaned back against the chair and folded his arms across his chest. “What is?”

                Daehyun sighed in irritation. He didn’t know why his brother was still beating about the bush. “Yongguk hyung and I, we love each other, okay?”

                Jongup scoffed loudly. “Seriously? Love?”

                “Yeah?” Daehyun frowned at Jongup’s attitude, which was really getting on his nerves. “Why are you acting like this?”

                Jongup sat up on his seat, his stare fixed on his brother. “Are you sure he loves you? What if he’s just playing around?”

                Daehyun’s frown deepened. “What makes you say that?”

                “Well, first off, I don’t think you meeting Yongguk hyung was a coincidence. Like come on! He broke into our backyard, he found you on the streets when you got lost, he suddenly appeared and helped us with the thugs. Isn’t it just funny if they were all coincidence? It seemed like he got everything planned out!”

                Daehyun gritted his teeth to hold his anger. He could agree with his brother, but it was in a different way. He had always known his meeting with Yongguk wasn’t just a mere coincidence. It was fate.

                “But why would he do all of those for someone like me? I’m just an ordinary blind guy,” he countered.

                “That’s the point!” Jongup threw his hands up. “I don’t know if he’s playing around with you or he just likes you for your body, but he does seem like he wants something from you. There’s no way he can be serious with you. He’s rich, he’s good looking, he has a happy family. Why would someone perfect like him want someone like you?”

                Daehyun’s heart clenched painfully at his own brother’s words. He could feel his knees weakening. He had to lean his hip against the edge of the table hold on tightly to it to keep on standing. The breaths he released were shaky as he fought the urge to cry. “You’re right… Nobody would want to be with someone like me because I’m blind… I know.”

                Jongup could clearly saw his brother’s painful expression, but everything he had said was for Daehyun’s own good. “I just don’t want you to get hurt, hyung.” He sighed. “I’m your brother, I’ve been taking care of you all the time, but you never told me about your feelings for him. Was it a lie when you told me you’re just friends with him? You just met him, hyung. For like two months? How could you say you love him? How do you know if he really loves you? You have never been in a relationship before. I don’t think you know anything about love.”

                “Because you never let me be in love with someone!” Daehyun yelled. The anger he had been holding finally exploded. It wasn’t just from a while ago. It was something he had harbored from a long time ago, ever since he realized how Jongup was being too over protective of him.

                He never tried to be more than friends with someone, just because he knew how Jongup would react over it. He really didn’t want to get mad at Jongup because Jongup had done so much for him. He didn’t want to repeat the same fight he had with his father, because while his father kept blaming himself for his son’s blindness, Daehyun actually felt like he was also at fault for always giving his father a hard time.

                But he had his limit too. And Jongup had exceeded that limit. He might have a lot of patience before as he kept wishing for his brother to change into someone understanding and supporting. But all he got now was someone who hindered him from everything he was yet to know and made him feel like an idiot for being blind.

                “How would I know if you always keep me under your arms all the time?! I’m just blind, I’m not dumb! I can take care of myself! So piss off!” Daehyun shouted with all his might before feeling his way out of the kitchen.

                Jongup was shocked. He was speechless. He could only watch his brother limped towards his room as fast as possible and slammed the door close with a loud bang.

 

 


 

A/N:

Ohohohohoho drama's coming!

Thank you to all upvoters, subscribers, readers and commenters! XOXO