Three

Dead End
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone is frozen until there is a terrifying tearing noise and the figure stumbles awkwardly backward with a dolphin shriek escaping its lips. Starling everyone except for Sohee, who has seen the daunting ghost's face, especially the stubby nose.

Now she rushes brightly beaming to the currently stuck interrupter. Helping her to unravel her ripped nightwear that unfortunately got hooked on the small window escape. “I’m sorry, have we woken you up?”

Chorong is still in a daze, her eyes puffy and small. Thankful for the help, as her sleepy self still tries to wrap her mind around what may have caused the sudden tug. “What are you guys doing?” She mumbles, her voice husky from sleep deprivation. Despite her annoyance, she is also of course curious. Unsurprisingly everyone would feel a little miffed when woken up so abruptly.

“Apparently Krystal ran away, she got a call, and that’s all we know. According to Sulli she acted weirdly before, so they are concerned about her health,” she quickly shares the few facts she knows on her own. Before grinningly finally freeing her friend's pajamas from its misery.

“Why?” Suddenly alert and sounding more awake as Chorong’s mum-mode must have kicked in. It's fascinating to see how a single piece of information not only changed her attitude but also posture. As her body instantly strains up and her face tenses.

“She said, she would prefer to be dead,” explains Sulli now as she is the only one who has witnessed it all. Chorongs brows furrow worryingly.

“Kai and I wanted to apologize, so we asked Irene to give us a moment of privacy. But she was acting so strangely and mumbled something about her sister, and suddenly she runs off and apparently into Hoya, who was on the way to -" she halts a moment but then confidently continues, "ah, the bathroom."

"We don't have the time to discuss this all now," Irene urges. The worry almost drips from her voice and is written all over her face.

"She is right, we can talk as we go," Sohee urges. Since she also worries about the noises they have made and who will find them. Hurriedly they take the long corridor, as Chorong recalls to have heard footsteps over there before the group coaxed her out of her perfectly warm and comfy bed. There is only one way to go from there.

"I shouldn't have brought Kai along on this trip," for a moment Sulli almost sounds beaten. After all, Krystal has been a year long friend to her as well.

“Yeah might have been better you didn’t,” Chorong agrees, whispering. For a second she searches for word of comfort, but she never speaks them out loud. As Sulli has quickly shaken off what ever guilt she may have felt, and now takes back the lead on the tiny group. To Chorong's dismay, this meant to sneak out of the front gate.

Luckily Chorong doesn't notice it, as in this very moment Hoya distracts her. "Hasn't Hani woken up too?" She could hear the seriousness in his voice despite him trying to keep it to a bare whisper. It almost hurts her to crush his hopes as she has to shake her head, especially because she knows it is a lie. Secretly Chorong is glad that she can't see the disappointment on his face. As even she, who has been distracted and flinching away from every moving shadow, has noticed the glances over his shoulders. Hoping against hope the woman of his desire would appear.

Chorong is a really bad liar, well unfazed, but she still stiffens when she does. Luckily Hoya couldn't tell, but Sohee does. Particularly because she also knows the truth, and is close enough to have overheard their conversation. She needs to bite her lips to prevent herself from chuckling. Not because she doesn't feel bad for Hoya, of course, she does. No one knows better how painful an unfulfilled longing can be then her. It's because even without seeing it right now she can picture the look on Chorong's face too well. The stealthy expression and the twitching of her nose. Sohee is also the only one who knows the sheer horror the view in front of them must be to her. As everything that lays beyond the gate is wrapped in arcane black that swallows any silhouettes, except what lies just a steep ahead of them.

Chorong isn’t fond of anything frightening, and there are a lot of potential dangerous and scary things that can lurk in the dark. Knowing her friend's fears, Sohee takes her hand into hers. 

“She must be nuts; I wouldn’t even go there if it were day.” Chorong whispers. It makes Sohee chuckle a little, and she squeezes her hand a little tighter. “Are you sure she went this way?” She feels her friend slowing down in her pace as she asks words that Sohee has to consider thoughtfully. Simply because she too has difficulties picturing Krystal running off into the w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter