[04]Meanie- Comfort

Letters

That morning started with Wonwoo crying. He hadn't even opened his eyes, mind drifting between consciousness and dreamland. He opened his eyes, hands quickly wiping the tears that had fallen from his eyes. Sitting up slowly, he placed a hand behind his head, the phantom pain from his dream making its way to reality, making his head hurt. He shook his head, reminding himself that it was just a dream because what were the chances of his father throwing an arnis stick at the back of his head? 

 

Chuckling darkly at the thought, Wonwoo got up to wash his face, hoping it would somehow wake him, remind him that it was just a dream. 

 

But was it? 

 

It was no secret that Wonwoo didn't get along with his parents, getting reduced to his quiet, brooding state whenever he had to go home for the holidays. The only reason why he actually went back was to see Bohyuk and nothing more than that. Bohyuk would always complain that their parents were suffocating him and that he wanted to run away. Wonwoo wondered if he was just getting blackmailed to go home since his brother looked happy whenever he visited. 

 

Wonwoo settled himself on the couch, staring at nothing as he thought about it. The chances of his dream becoming a reality, event by event, was slim but he could read between the lines. His dreams always had a way of becoming real somehow so maybe this was a sign that he was going to get in a fight with his parents in his next visit. Again. 

 

It wasn't like Wonwoo liked getting into fights with anyone. He avoided them in general, actually but for some reason, at home, he was always in the middle or at the end of one. It would start with some snide comment from his parents that he should really know better to just ignore it by now. But he wouldn't. Everything just rubbed him the wrong way, grating on his nerves as he argued back. It never did end well. 

 

What a depressing way to start the day. 

 

Luckily, he didn't have work today and he could spend his whole day moping if he wanted to. With no other option being presented, it looked like that's what he would be doing. 

 

The weather matched his mood, dark clouds filling up the sky but there was no rain yet. Wonwoo dragged his blanket to the couch, curling up on it as he watched reruns of some dramas. He had to change channels whenever the main lead argued with his family, the show hitting a little too close to home. 

 

Wonwoo was about to give up on the dramas altogether and maybe mope around the park before it rained when he heard the sound of keys jiggling. Without being even aware of it, Wonwoo was already smiling. 

 

He waited for his boyfriend to figure out which key was to his place, trying not to feel too impatient about it. 

 

"I should probably label my keys, huh?" Mingyu said as he walked in, arms loaded with groceries. 

"Or just throw out your old ones." Wonwoo teased, getting up to get some bags from the other. "Why are you here anyway? Shouldn't you be at work?" 

"Other boyfriends would be happy that their significant other showed up unexpectedly." Mingyu replied airily before raising an eyebrow. "Unless you're hiding someone here?" 

"Don't be stupid." Wonwoo said as he rolled his eyes. "Who did you bribe to leave early?" 

"There was an unexpected virus on the mainframe. IT department is trying to check if there were damaged files which I'm pretty sure there was none. Anyways so the rest of us lowly beings had to go home until they fixed it." Mingyu explained with a crooked grin. 

Wonwoo raised an eyebrow. "Did you bribe Jihoon to do that for you?"

"What, our boyfriends are best friends. Gotta take advantage of that somehow." Mingyu said, chuckling as he gave Wonwoo a small peck. "Don't worry. I gave Soonyoung something as exchange." 

"I don't even want to know." Wonwoo said, holding onto the other's arm. 

Mingyu hummed. "I'm cooking spaghetti then we can cuddle while you tell me what's wrong, alright, babe?" 

 

Wonwoo's eyes widened, surprised that Mingyu could tell something was wrong that quickly. But then again, Mingyu was always surprising him one way or another. Like now as he made Wonwoo's heart beat faster. 

 

"Okay,I'll wait in the living room." Wonwoo said, kissing the taller's cheek. 

"Okay." Mingyu agreed easily as he started preparing the ingredients. "Oh, by the way, good morning, love." 

 

And for the first time that day, Wonwoo started to think that maybe it was.

--

Polishing off three plates of delicious spaghetti had taken a toll on Wonwoo somehow. He was full and sleepy and content to just lie here in Mingyu's arms but he knew that the younger was just waiting for him to speak. 

"It's not that big of a deal, baby. I just... had this bad dream." Wonwoo started. 

"Were you and your parents fighting there again?" Mingyu asked quietly. 

"Yeah, Dad even threw an arnis stick at the back of my head. The details are a bit fuzzy but I remember fighting. I was fighting for or against Bohyuk. That part became confusing after I woke up." Wonwoo explained, turning to bury his face in the crook of Mingyu's neck. "Maybe it's a sign that I'll always be fighting with my parents." 

"I'm sorry, baby." Mingyu whispered as he kissed the top of the older's head. "I really wish they can see you like I do." 

Wonwoo scoffed. "Fat chance of that happening." He sighed, burrowing closer. "I just want them to be proud of me. I'm trying so hard,. I'm trying so so hard but why is it never enough for them?" 

 

Mingyu's arm around him tightened as Wonwoo began to cry. Wonwoo wasn't even sure why he was crying anymore. This wasn't anything knew but , did it sting whenever that wound was reopened. The thing was Wonwoo really didn't know what to do about this problem. He had tried different ways to please his parents but nothing had worked. The only other option was to stop caring. Easier said than done. 

 

"Are you okay now, baby?" Mingyu asked softly once Wonwoo's sniffles died down. 

Wonwoo sighed. "As much as I can be." 

Mingyu sighed as well, nuzzling the other. "Hey, don't know if it's any consolation but you are more than enough for me and the others. You are such an amazing person and if your parents can't see that, it's their loss. I know I'm not in any place to talk but please, I just really wish they would stop talking to you like that. I wish you could just learn to ignore them but I know you can't. I don't know what I'm saying anymore. I'm sorry." 

 

Wonwoo pulled back, eyes sparkling with unshed tears as he stared at his boyfriend. Mingyu was looking back at him with such an open adoration and concern for him that it was making Wonwoo's heart so much bigger than he could handle. For the first time, Wonwoo could easily just ignore whatever insults from his parents could throw at him. Mingyu was right. Even if he wasn't enough for them, he had his friends and Mingyu. 

 

Mingyu who was looking at him just like he was his whole world. 

 

"Thank you." Wonwoo said, pouring as much sincerity as he could in those words. "That means a lot to me. So so much. Thank you." 

"I'm just glad to be of help, baby." Mingyu said, caressing Wonwoo's cheek. "Just think of that whenever they talk about you, okay?"

"Okay." Wonwoo agreed easily, leaning onto the younger's touch. 

"I love you." Mingyu said, oh so gently that it made Wonwoo feel like mush. 

"I love you too. So so much." Wonwoo replied, drinking in as much love as the younger was willing to give. 

 

And God knew, Mingyu had more than enough love to give. 

A.N: I wanted to write a one shot with a slightly heavier theme and there it is. ♡♡ 

I am so productive for this series. I love it. Haha 

Thank you so much for the support here. Rare pairs are about to come so watch out!