[01] Meanie- Warmth

Letters

Warm. 

It had been what Wonwoo has been feeling ever since their classes ended for that day, going home with his friends and getting back home. Here he was a few hours later but the warmth and the tingling of his hands had not stopped. 

Wonwoo sighed happily, closing his eyes as he placed  his right hand on top of  his chest where his heart was. He smiled in the darkness of his bedroom, moonlight flooding through the curtains. 

He didn’t want the warmth to stop.
--
It had been a boring day. A lot of their classes got cancelled without any prior notice so they had been stuck in school for the whole day with not much productivity happening. Wonwoo groaned; he just wanted to go home and sleep. He had went to school earlier than usual since they were told that they had an exam. It turned out that their professor couldn't make it and they just wasted their time waiting for him. It was disappointing and annoying all at the same time. 

“You okay?” Mingyu asked as they waited for the others. 
Wonwoo nodded. “Just want to go home already.” 

Mingyu nodded, probably understanding what he meant. Wonwoo remembered the other  telling him that he had come to school early as well, earlier than the older even. He leaned against Mingyu, raising a hand to wave when he saw Seungcheol looking around for them. 

“Where are the others?” Mingyu asked, noticing that a few of them weren’t there. 
“Hansol, Jisoo and Jun are catching a ride so they’re waiting for that. Chan is still talking to a professor and Seungkwan’s waiting for him.” Seungcheol explained. “Let’s just go already. I’m tired and hungry.” 
“Aren’t you always?” Wonwoo and Mingyu chorused, causing the oldest to glare at them. 

Seungcheol grumbled before he started walking, Seokmin falling into step behind him. The two of them started comparing anecdotes about their History professor, Seokmin’s laughter ringing in the night. Wonwoo let out a yawn, turning to follow after the two when he felt something nudging his hand. He looked down and saw that Mingyu was reaching for his hand and he easily gave it to the younger.

It had been a habit of theirs to walk around like this, hands clasped together. Their friends would raise eyebrows at them but didn’t comment any further, something that Wonwoo was grateful for since he didn’t really know how to explain it either. It had just started one day and Wonwoo stopped being shocked after it happened a couple of times. It wasn’t like he minded anyway; Mingyu’s hand felt nice and comfortable. So, why would he complain? 

But the thing was, tonight was different. Rather than the normal clasped hands, hand holding that could pass for siblings honestly, Mingyu had laced their fingers together, hands swinging a bit between them. It sent a tingling feeling straight to Wonwoo’s heart and his hand suddenly felt warmer. He was lucky that it was dark since he had the feeling that his cheeks were tinted pink. 

“Aww, aren’t the two of you being sweet tonight?” Soonyoung teased, smirking a bit as he eyed their hands. 
“I thought the two of you went home already?” Seokmin asked.
Jihoon sighed, pointing to the food cart. “Supposedly. But Soonyoung got hungry so here we are.” 
“Well, since we’re already here, I’m going to grab a bite as well.” Seungcheol announced, eyeing the different snacks. “Oh, by the way, Seokmin, I need my Calculus notebook. Are you done with it?”
Seokmin froze. “Uhm…. Ha ha. I suddenly remember that I have to use the bathroom! I’ll be right back!” 
Wonwoo sighed as he watched Seokmin run back to their school. “He left it in his locker, didn’t he?”
“Or lost it somewhere.” Jihoon agreed, sighing as well. “Soonyoung, stop looking at the food. You ate already.”
Soonyoung pouted, eyes leaving the cart slowly before coming to a stop between Mingyu and Wonwoo again. “So, what’s the occasion? Why the tightly laced hands?” 
Before Wonwoo could think of something to say, Mingyu was already raising their joined hands, teasing smile on his face. “Why are you so curious, hyung? Jealous?”
“Ha. Maybe.” Soonyoung pouted more, directing it at Wonwoo. “Yah, I’m your best friend. Why are you only touchy with Mingyu?”

Wonwoo rolled his eyes at his best friend’s complaints, giving Mingyu a slight glare for causing the whines in the first place. The younger just winked at him which shouldn’t be giving Wonwoo butterflies, honestly. Soonyoung opened his mouth, presumably to whine again when Seokmin came barreling towards him, notebook clasped in his arms. Seungcheol just calmly took the notebook, placed it in his bag before telling them to get a move on. 

“He seems happier now.” Jihoon commented as they followed Seungcheol.
Soonyoung laughed. “That’s because he ate something. Just like me!”
“Simpletons.” Wonwoo muttered, dodging Soonyoung’s kick after. 
Jihoon frowned, pulling Soonyoung back to his side. “We’re going this way now, idiot. Stop being such a flirt.” 

The other four stopped, watching on amusedly as Jihoon dragged Soonyoung away, pausing to stop and wave back at them. Soonyoung hadn’t even tried hiding his smug grin, grin widening when Jihoon hooked their arms together. Soonyoung pointed at Wonwoo and Mingyu’s hands, sending a discrete wink to his best friend. 

“Jihoon hyung is so cute when he’s jealous, isn’t he?” Seokmin chuckled. 
Seungcheol nodded as they started walking again. “I don’t get why they don’t just fess up.” 
“I think Soonyoung hyung wants Jihoon hyung to confess to him first.” Mingyu replied before letting out a snort. “Fat chance of that happening though.” 
“True. Soonyoung is definitely breaking first.” Wonwoo agreed. 

Mingyu laughed at that, making Wonwoo feel like he accomplished something even though it was just a small thing. They continued walking in silence until it was broken when they reached the construction by the bus stop. Seokmin kept tripping over the pieces of rubble, his own squeals punctuating each one followed by Seungcheol’s laughter. Normally Wonwoo would have been like Seokmin but without the squealing but Mingyu’s hand kept him steady. Every time he was about to trip, Mingyu would hold his hand tighter, pulling him upright. There was even a heap of construction materials obstructing the road so they had to walk around to find a way through. It was here that Mingyu had to let go of Wonwoo’s hand to walk on ahead. Wonwoo didn’t want to admit it but his hand automatically felt empty without Mingyu’s and he grabbed onto air to try and get that feeling back. 

“Geez, I hope this gets finished soon. It’s so hard to walk here.” Seokmin complained as they walked on the path Mingyu had found.
“That’s because you have two left feet.” Seungcheol commented.
“Yah, Wonwoo hyung does too! Just because Mingyu was holding his hand…” Seokmin argued.
“Yah!” Wonwoo exclaimed, unable to say anything else. 
The two just laughed at him, snickering afterwards. 
“What’s so funny?” Mingyu asked when the three came out of the path.
“No~thing~” Seokmin singsonged. “Let’s go. I think I see the bus coming.”

Wonwoo huffed, cheeks puffing out as Seokmin and Seungcheol made kissy faces behind Mingyu. The youngest just raised an eyebrow before raising his hand. Wonwoo just stared at him until he understood what Mingyu meant. He shyly raised his own hand, putting it on top of the younger’s, eyes widening when Mingyu laced their fingers again before tugging him forward. 

“Something wrong?” Mingyu asked.
Wonwoo shook his head. “Nothing wrong, just…. Different, I guess?”
“Good different?” 
“D-definitely.” 

Mingyu gave his hand a gentle squeeze, pulling Wonwoo closer against his side. The bus was already there when they got to the bus stop and they got on board, hands still clasped together. Seungcheol and Seokmin wore matching smirks once they settled down, Mingyu placing their laced hands on top of his thighs. Wonwoo wanted to combust both from embarrassment and happiness. 

“See you tomorrow, hyungs, Wonwoo.” Mingyu said as he got up, bowing to Seokmin and Seungcheol. 
“See ya.” Seokmin replied. 
“Bye.” Wonwoo muttered, frowning when Mingyu let go of his hand. He watched Mingyu get off the bus, gazing at the window to give the younger. He sighed deeply, his hand opening and closing against nothing again. He already missed Mingyu. 
“God, just confess to him already.” Seungcheol groaned, throwing a chunk of eraserat Wonwoo. 
Seokmin groaned as well. “Look at him staring sadly at the window just like in the dramas. All our friends are such drama rip offs.” 
--
Wonwoo and Seokmin got off their stop after Mingyu. For some reason, Wonwoo kept his right hand in his pocket as if preserving the warmth from Mingyu’s hand. Seokmin kept teasing him about it, saying that he had a lovestruck smile on his face. Wonwoo scolded him about teasing his hyung but it was half hearted. He was too happy about the whole thing honestly. 

When he had gotten home, he was careful not to touch things for too long with his right hand, getting him looks from his younger brother but he didn’t care. It felt like Mingyu’s touch decreased the more he touched other things and he didn’t want that at all. 

So here he was lying down on bed, waiting for the feeling of warmth and contentment to leave him so he can sleep in peace but it just wasn’t happening. Every time he closed his eyes, he would see their clasped hands together and the warmth would just spread. He had just about given up, reaching for his laptop to watch something until his heart and brain shut up when he heard his phone ring. Reaching for it, he saw that it was a message from Mingyu.

From: Beanpole Mingyu
I really liked holding hands with you like that…

To: Beanpole Mingyu
I did too

From: Beanpole Mingyu
So, can I do it again tomorrow?

To: Beanpole Mingyu
Well, if you want to?

From: Beanpole Mingyu
I do, a lot.
So, that’s a yes
Goodnight, Wonwoo <3

To: Beanpole Mingyu
Goodnight, Mingyu <3 

~
A.N: I don’t know what to say hahaha. Hope you liked it. I didn’t think it would become this long, just like around 500 words or something but… Yeah. Xx let me know what you think!