Walk

Home Run (Rewriting & Deleting)

“So you were in the Rockets, that's so cool.” Sana said as they walked towards the bus. “I was in a few traveling teams as well but I could never stay in them for long because of dad.”

 

“I, uh, heard that your dad is Minatozaki Nori. My dad was a big fan.” Tzuyu awkwardly responds.

 

“Yeah I guess dad used to be a big deal.” Sana shrugged, “But he was always just dad to me. So you will always be Tzuyu to me.” She looked at her reassuringly. “I saw the panic in your eye's after you said you were in the Rockets. I know what it's like to feel that pressure. I used to beat myself up because of who my dad was. But I managed to just ignore it and live a happy life. There's no use in trying to prove anything. So don't feel the need to prove yourself to us, just be Tzuyu.” She smiled warmly.

 

Tzuyu was speechless by her words and felt a sense of relief that someone understood. She wasn't alone for the first time. None of her old teammates had ever bothered to be concerned by her, bitterly staying away from her the more Tzuyu got better and popular. Despite being in a team of thirteen girls, Tzuyu had been all alone.

 

She was grateful to have someone like Sana.

 

The rest of their journey was spent talking about their favorite college teams. Tzuyu also learned that Sana was in her third year, making her two years older then her, and had lived in Japan (her home), New York, Los Angeles, and China before her father was recruited into the Twins.

 

Tzuyu really admired Sana, she manged to be bright and optimistic despite having moved so much and having to deal with all the people who could care less about her but who her father was.

 

She knew she was developing somewhat of a crush on her but she hoped they could become really good friends and teammates. Having someone like Sana would be good for her.

 

“Bye Tzuyu.” Sana waved, bright smile on her face.

 

Tzuyu smiled and waved back as she made her way off the bus. Sana still had two more stops before her own and Tzuyu wondered why she never noticed her before.

 

They made plans to sit next to each other in the mornings from now on and Tzuyu couldn't wait.

 

“How were try outs?” Tzuyu's mom asked as they sat down for dinner.

 

“Good I guess,” She shrugged, “I think I showed off to much.”

 

“You can never show off too much.” Her dad replied, “It's a try out after all, they need to see how good you are.”

 

Tzuyu nodded, “I guess.”

 

“How are the other girls?” Tzuyu's mom carefully asked, “Are they nice?”

 

Tzuyu thought about Sana and smiled, “Yeah, actually, their first baseman rode the bus with me. She's really nice.”

“I'm glad they're being nice to you.” Tzuyu's mom smiled.

 

“Dad, guess, what?” Tzuyu smiled excited to see his reaction.

 

“What?” He said, amused.

 

“Their first baseman is Minatozaki Nori's daughter.”

 

Tzuyu enjoyed the way her fathers eye's lightened up as he began to question her about Sana. Tzuyu was happy to talk about Sana more and even happier to see her parents not looking at her with so much worry anymore.

 

She hoped they'd continue to look at her normally.