Baseline

Home Run (Rewriting & Deleting)

Tzuyu mentioned trying out for softball to her parents the morning of try outs and she tried to not notice the way her dad's eyes lit up.

 

“Well, if you think you're ready to play again Tzuyu, then I think you should do it.” Her mom said while serving her juice, “I just don't want you to get like last time.” She said softly, running her fingers through Tzuyu's hair.

 

“I promise, I won't.” Tzuyu whispered, “This time it will be different.”

 

Her parents smiled encouragingly and Tzuyu walked to school with a small duffle bag that held a change of clothes.

 

 

 

Chaeyoung squealed excitedly as Tzuyu stuffed the bag in her locker.

 

“I'm so glad you're trying out.” Chaeyoung jumped up and down, “We'll be so popular when we make the team.”

 

“Who says we're going to make it.” Tzuyu teased.

 

Chaeyoung pushed her as they made their way towards there seats.

 

She had spent the entire week since meeting Sana pondering if whether or not she was ready to play again. Of course she still feared falling down the dark path she had back home in Taiwan but ulitmetely her need to be on the field again won over. Also, the intense looks of hope Minatozaki Sana sent her way whenever they crossed paths had also been a small factor.

 

Before Tzuyu knew it, she was standing on the field, dressed in her old practice clothes next to a shaking Chaeyoung. All the girls trying out stood in a line on the first base line while all the members of the team prepared the field for play. Tzuyu could see Sana warming up with another girl by the third base and was able to see Sana's eye's happily looking over at her every so often.

 

“Does everyone have their forms filled out?” A voice asked, making the girls all jump.

 

Tzuyu looked over to see a women she suspected to be the coach looking them all up and down. She held her own form out as she came around to collect them. She seemed intimidating but not as intimidating as her last coach had been.

 

“I'm Coach Yeeun.” She introduced, “Today we'll go through a couple of practice drills, batting, catching, and then finish off with a scrimmage. This is Park Jihyo, she is the team captain.” She said nodding toward a player standing behind her.

 

Tzuyu studied the captain who had large eye's and was shorter then her.

 

“Try outs can run for about a week or less depending on what we see. At the moment we only have 2 to 3 spots open.” She explained, “At the moment this team really needs a pitcher.” She says looking at all of them, “Do your best.” She finished off.

 

“Thank you.” The girls chorused as she walked away.

 

“She's not always that intense I promise you.” Jihyo laughs, “Alright, we're going to start with warm ups.”