Eventful Return

Rewritten

"Okay, pretty much everyone in the company knows what happened to you, so don't be afraid of asking anything you want, even if you have to ask people for their names. Nobody's going to take it personally." Bona said, linking her arm with Cheng Xiao. "Either way, I'm going to be with you every second of the first few days to make sure everything goes smoothly. Not like that's any different from the usual." The assistant gave a weak smile, facing Cheng Xiao. "Hey!"  

The CEO was most definitely not listening to her assistant, and if having her arm linked with hers didn't provide her with directional guidance, she might have tripped over herself. Her head and her eyes travelled in every direction, taking in the overwhelming panorama around her. 

The gigantic reception floor overflowed with people in business attire, pacing around, talking to each other over cups of coffee, talking on their phones, holding their laptops under their arms, staring down at their smartphones or tablets. The tinted glass walls, the marble floor so shiny it was blinding, every piece of sleek, modern furniture and decoration impeccably cleaned and maintained.  

Eventually, she was struck with the realization that she was the CEO of that company. The company her missing family had built with their blood, sweat, and tears, the company which she took over and continued to grow and mature, even in the absence of her parents' support. Maybe someday they could see what she'd done with the company and be proud of her. 

Cheng Xiao decided to start paying attention to Bona in order to stop herself from thinking about her parents.  

"Yes. Thank you." Cheng Xiao turned to her assistant, an artificial smile on her face. Her expression changed when she looked around and saw that most of the people in the reception floor were staring at her. Some groups whispered among each other with their hands covering their mouths, while their eyes were locked in her direction. Every single person lowered their heads as soon as they felt her eyes on them. "What's going on?"  

"You just might be the CEO of this company, who everyone knows. The CEO, who came across a near-death experience and was absent for a week. Of course people are going to worry... sort of." Bona rolled her eyes. "I heard there was a silly rumor flying around that you had died and a doppelganger was to replace you when "you" were back. I guess they're trying to figure that out."  

"I don't remember any of them." Cheng Xiao frowned.  

"Don't feel bad about it. You can't expect to know each and every employee of this company, gosh, there's hundreds of people here. Not even I know everyone. You might know more people on the top floors, since you used to work more closely with them. Which reminds me..." Bona sighed and made her way towards the reception, resting her arms on the surface and leaning towards the raven-haired woman at the desk. "Good morning, Cao Lu. Is the representative from China here already?"  

Cao Lu smiled back at them. Cheng Xiao wondered how someone's smile could be so wide and at the same time so genuine.  

"Good morning, Bona." She turned to Cheng Xiao and spoke to her in Mandarin. "CEO Cheng. I hope you're feeling well."  

Cheng Xiao assured her, and then Cao Lu continued.  

"She's been directed to the waiting room on the 5th floor."  

Bona thanked Cao Lu, then dragged Cheng Xiao towards the elevator.   

"She's way early. You bet she only arrived this early so she can pester us about being kept waiting." Bona said to her on the way, her eyebrows knitted together. Her back straightened and she faced forward, her nose slightly tiled upward, in an attempt to embody superiority. But Cheng Xiao knew her well enough to figure out her insides were shaking. 

 


 

Sitting on the leather recline chairs was a woman with honey blonde hair, falling just above the shoulder pads of her navy blue business suit. She held a dried seaweed bag in her hands, from which she pulled out snacks at an alarmingly fast pace. The alias 'Seaweed Girl' suddenly made a lot of sense.  

Observing her unconventional posture for business and her interesting choice of outfit, Cheng Xiao had a hard time picturing her as the rigid woman Bona had described her as. The CEO glanced at her friend, whose face was tensed, her lips tightly pressed. She kept fidgeting with her outfit and hair as they approached.  

"Ms. Wu Xuan Yi?" Cheng Xiao called her, distracting her from the conversation she was having with a girl who looked no older than 15.   

Xuan Yi turned her neck to the source of the call, her eyes widening at the sight of her. She readily rolled up the top of her bag of seaweed and took a few seconds to finish chewing before she got up and extended Cheng Xiao a hand. A wide and welcoming gummy smile was plastered on her face.  

"CEO Cheng! It's great to finally meet you."  

Cheng Xiao shook her hand – or rather, let her hand be vigorously shaken. 

"My name is Wu Xuan Yi, and I've been appointed as the head of operations for the expansion of WJSN into the Chinese Market. But you already know that." She chuckled, making Cheng Xiao laugh along. She pointed at the girl next to her, the one who looked like a teenager. "And this is Lee Yeoreum, my own personal assistant."  

The girl greeted them both with a handshake.  

"I'm delighted to be here today and finally make your acquaintance. This is Kim Bona, my right arm. I believe you have met before." Cheng Xiao had to make an effort not to smirk as she shot Bona an incriminating look.  

Xuan Yi took Bona's hand in both of hers and shook it just as hard. The personal assistant paled, her expression stuck in between panic and rage.  

"Indeed so. It's wonderful meeting you again, Ms. Kim Bona. You look even lovelier this time around." Xuan Yi winked at her and released her hand from her grip. "It was most unfortunate that I couldn't meet you in China, CEO Cheng, but Ms. Kim Bona received me so warmly and handled things so efficiently we are now able to meet so shortly after. You have made a wonderful choice for an assistant."  

Cheng Xiao frowned in confusion. The report Xuan Yi gave about their first meeting contrasted quite a bit with Bona's version - which didn't involve any warm receptions. Either Xuan Yi had gotten a completely different idea or she was being sarcastic and downright teasing her in her face. Even though she knew it was wrong, a small chuckle escaped her when she looked at Bona. The latter threw her a look so threatening she might as well have shot lasers out of her eyes.  

Cheng Xiao couldn't help but take a liking to Xuan Yi and her sense of humor. Anyone who could front Bona and catch her off guard earned her respect. 

The meeting went as smoothly as it could have. Xuan Yi presented her prospects about the Chinese Market and had very insightful suggestions to make, all of which Cheng Xiao found impressive. She had a great feeling about her and the business, and couldn't be more excited to work with her from that point on. There was no better way to kick off her return to work.   

"Thank you very much, Ms. Wu-"  

"No, please. Just Xuan Yi." She interrupted.  

"Xuan Yi, then." Cheng Xiao smiled. "It would be great if you could present your insights to the rest of the board tomorrow. Is that alright with you?"  

"Of course. I would be delighted to."  

"Great. In the meanwhile, why don't you let us show you around the company and chat a bit more? Maybe we could talk over lunch as well."  

Bona, who had kept her head down the whole meeting as if a toddler throwing a fit, gave her a sideways glare. Yeoreum's eyes shone as she looked at Xuan Yi clapping and whispering "Yes! Lunch!" Xuan Yi smiled and agreed, making Bona roll her eyes and sink deeper in her chair.   

As they left the room, Bona tugged on Cheng Xiao's sleeve.  

"Xiao." She muttered under her breath. "Can I talk to you?"  

"Just a moment, please." Cheng Xiao told Xuan Yi and Yeoreum, staying behind as she was asked. "What is it?" She grinned, already aware of the kind of conversation Bona would come up with. 

"What are you doing?"  

"What do you mean what am I doing? My job?!"   

"Does your job involve asking the devil in person out for lunch?" Bona squinted.  

"She seems nice, Bona." Cheng Xiao shrugged. "I don't know what you meant with her being that rude. I kind of like her. Plus, she's really knowledgeable in her position."  

"But she is rude! You don't understand. When we first met she only made ridiculous demands and I was the one who had to shield it. Now she's acting completely different in front of you and trying to make me look bad. I'm telling you, this is on purpose. I don't know what kind of game she thinks she's playing, but I don't like it and I'm not going to play it. You should take care and not trust her." Bona scoffed and pointed at her boss, who had a smirk on. "You don't believe me."  

"I don't know what kind of game you mean, but the way you put it, it kind of sounds like she's winning." Cheng Xiao rested a hand on her shoulder and made a condescending face.  

"You too? You're in on this?" Bona swatted her hand away. "I can't trust anyone, for crying out loud!"  

"Seriously now, Bona." The CEO sighed. "You should try to stop judging people so quickly and going full defensive. I don't know what she did the first time, but she's being nice to you now. Maybe she's sorry because she heard what really happened and she's trying to make up for it. You should give her a chance and relax a bit."  

"Seriously now, why can't you listen to me? I'm telling you she's up to something."  

"Such as...?"   

Bona pursed her lips, crossed her arms and looked away.  

"Look, at least try to be professional? It's very counterproductive to hold such unjustified hostility against our business partners." Cheng Xiao pleaded.  

"Fine. But I'll keep an eye on fish-face." Cheng Xiao raised one eyebrow at her. Bona cleared and continued with a crystalline voice, rapidly batting her eyelashes. "Yes, I will be the most cordial with head of operations Ms. Wu Xuan Yi."  

"That's more like it." Cheng Xiao smiled widely and patted Bona's head, making her assistant click her tongue. "Now we go show them around and you are going to keep your promise."  

"Wait." Bona frowned. "Do you actually know your way around?"  

"Surprisingly, yes. I had no memory of the building just this morning, but as soon as I stepped inside and started looking around, it was as if a map was drawing itself in my head. It all felt familiar. It's the people I'm having trouble with. And some small business details, but nothing to worry about, right? You can fill me in on those."  

"Of course. Now let's go show Cruella our company." Bona sneered. 

When they were about to step out of the conference room, someone else was waiting for them outside. Cheng Xiao thought she remembered her as Sally, but she couldn't be sure. 

"CEO Cheng? Cao Lu called from downstairs. She says there's two women who want to see you." She read from a small post-it note she had in her palm. "Chu Sojung and Im Dayoung. They're from the police. Should I send them in?"  

Cheng Xiao's eyes widened at the mention of the officers.   

"I guess you'll have to show Xuan Yi and Yeoreum around yourself, Bona. I'll join you later."  

"Can't I see Sojung instead and you take care of that? Believe me, I'd rather hear Sojung ramble all day than spend half an hour with her."   

Cheng Xiao cocked her head to take a look at Xuan Yi, at the bottom of the corridor, to make sure she hadn't heard Bona. She was munching on dried seaweed again and feeding some to Yeoreum's mouth, so probably not. 

"I have to go see them and we can't leave our guests unattended, can we?" Cheng Xiao threw her a compromising look, to which she answered with a bitter smile. "Thank you, Sally." She dismissed. 

 


 

"Big boss!" Exy exclaimed as she saw Cheng Xiao sitting in the conference room. "So this is your gig, huh? Pretty impressive." 

"Yeah... it's alright." Cheng Xiao greeted with a crooked smile, preparing herself for the incoming dose of crazy. 

"So, I saw that Bona kid outside and she mouthed 'Help Me' to me? What happened?"  

"Actually, Boss, I think it was 'Kill Me'." Dayoung said, making air quotes. 

"Don’t worry about her." Cheng Xiao reassured, containing her evil laugh. "So what brings you here today? Do you have any updates?"  

The investigation on her attack had been the last thing on her mind for the previous week, but when she heard the officers had come to visit, the anxiety about what they had to say hit her. She was unsure if she wanted to know more about what happened or if she was too scared of knowing. 

Exy and Dayoung exchanged a look and shrugged, then took a seat and put their game faces on. Exy began with asking her how she felt, and if she by any chance could recall more events about the day she was attacked, to which she answered negatively.  

"So, we've been analyzing the evidence we gathered on the crime scene – that means your house – along with the pictures we took, and it all points to our first hunch being right. Seems like you were pushed against the glass cabinet and hit your head on it... And you were pushed by someone significantly stronger and larger than you. We already suspected you'd put up a fight, but now we're sure." Exy explained. 

Cheng Xiao's face contorted and she leaned forward in curiosity. 

"Aside from your DNA and Eunseo's, who already confirmed she was there, we got a different one... in one of the blood spots. The tests are not 100% accurate, but we got male DNA. So far it has no matches on our system, though." 

"When we say this, can you think of a man who might have been to your house any time close to the incident?" Dayoung intervened. Cheng Xiao shook her head and the young officer took note on her tablet. 

"There's something else." Exy continued. "We checked with your doorkeeper, Soobin. When she sees someone she doesn't know, she has to ask for their name and check with the resident if they're supposed to go up, but she's not allowed to keep record in order to protect the residents' privacy. Is that right?" 

"As far as I know, yes." 

Exy nodded. "However, that day, she doesn't remember seeing anyone unfamiliar." She glanced at Dayoung, who stepped in for her. 

"We also checked with your building's security team. They reported a general failure in the surveillance cameras around the time you were attacked, lasting for about 10 minutes." Dayoung looked down at her tablet and started tinkering with it, a focused expression on her face. 

"It's not unusual for this type of stunts with security to be attempted, but very rarely do they work. To succeed in shutting down all the cameras in a building for ten whole minutes, that's just... It has to be premeditated." Exy frowned and signaled Dayoung, who nodded and turned her tablet towards Cheng Xiao. "We have reasons to believe this was done from the inside." 

Dayoung pressed play on the video. In the first few seconds, there was only visual noise. The image cleared up, replacing the monochromatic moving dots on the screen, just in time for Cheng Xiao to recognize it as a hallway in her building. A few seconds after, the video stopped, making the CEO grimace at Dayoung, puzzled. 

"Look closely." She said, zooming in on a spot of the video and pressing play again. 

This time, Cheng Xiao saw it. A figure, fully clothed in black, closing the door of an apartment abruptly. Dayoung played it once again, in slow motion, then swiped several times to show her frame captures of the video.  

"This is a clip of the surveillance tape the day you were attacked. This captures the exact moment the system was back up, 15th floor. Do you happen to know who lives in this apartment?" 

Cheng Xiao gulped, her face more wrinkled with each passing second, and shook her head negatively once again. 

"Whoever lives there might have something to do with this. We believe the culprit knew exactly when you were supposed to be away, and they orchestrated the surveillance shutdown to precise timing. But they obviously didn't expect to see you there and fight you, so that stole some more time from them." Exy exposed the hypothesis, making use of the whiteboard in the meeting room. "Also, if they are residing in your building, it would make it that much easier for them to mess with the CCTV and in some way get a duplicate of your house key."  

"Are you saying I'm not safe in my building? Not even in Eunseo's house?" Cheng Xiao asked, her breath increasingly shallow and fast. 

"Have you felt unsafe there, lately?" Dayoung asked. 

"Not really... I left by myself to go spend some time in the hotel. I only went back to her house yesterday. But even I was surprised nothing happened to me when I left, to be honest." 

"Lover's quarrel." Exy mouthed to Dayoung, elbowing her. The trainee giggled, and then Exy turned back to Cheng Xiao, whose cheeks had pinked. "If you say so, then I don't think there's the need to move out or anything, at least for now. Just avoid being home alone or leaving the house by yourself as much as you can. We will be investigating some more in your building and we'll get back to you as soon as possible."  

Cheng Xiao nodded. All the women in the room prepared themselves to leave, but Exy stopped at a point. 

"By the way..." Exy said, startling Cheng Xiao. "There's something I want to tell you... think of it as advice from a friend." 

Cheng Xiao's hands started to tremble, her eyes wide. Way to be cryptical and make her panic ahead of time. 

"This person went through such a great deal of trouble it's at the very least strange they were just trying to steal a computer for its value. I can't be sure of it because it's our job not to assume anything, but I think they're after more than just money or possessions. You're young, rich, pretty. And you have something some people would kill for - Power." Exy placed her hands on the table, leaning closer, and looked the CEO dead in the eye. "You're bound to have made some enemies along your way up. You don't have your memory to rely on anymore, so you're especially vulnerable. You know what they say – keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer. Watch out for yourself." 

 


 

At lunch, Cheng Xiao could only fiddle with her fork, eating one small bite every few minutes. Unlike Yeoreum, who ate more than half the food the table ordered by herself, never bothering to finish chewing before she started talking or laughing. 

Cheng Xiao tried her best to keep the conversation going, laughing at Xuan Yi's hilarious stories and watching her successfully irk Bona time and time again. She wondered if Bona was aware of how red her face turned every time Xuan Yi winked at her or told her how pretty and amazing she was.  

She also wondered if Xuan Yi was just pulling a cruel act to get even on their first meeting, for the satisfaction of embarrassing someone as uptight as her, or if she might genuinely be flirting with Bona out in the open. She didn't seem like someone too concerned with social and professional norms, but somehow, she was inconvenient in an endearing way, however she could pull that off. 

Cheng Xiao gazed at her friend and guilt started to twist an even bigger knot in her stomach. It was hard to even imagine what she felt like after that morning, but even so, she was doing a much better job than her at concealing her worries. Because she just couldn't shake off what Exy had told her, and she was positive it was showing through. 

Enemies... Cheng Xiao currently knew of none, but she'd heard a few times that before the accident, she used to be a completely different person and often treated people in a less than cordial manner. She didn't know details on it – and she'd told herself many times that she was better off never finding out. But Exy made her realize that even if she tried to rid herself of her past, it was threatening her safety in the present. Considering that, it would be better to find out who she might have to watch out for and attempt to make amends.  

At that moment, trying to decide what was best for her was too much. Since she talked with Bona that morning, the happenings of the day piled up. She was a wreckage inside, about to implode in a panic attack. Until her phone vibrated on the table and she checked the incoming message on the screen.  

 

Eunseo [13:21] 

How's your first day so far, CEO Cheng? Keke~ We have to celebrate later. I have a surprise for you, so look forward to it. :) 

 

She grew a smile so big she had to hide it behind her hand so she wouldn't look stupid.  

 


 

Throughout the day, absorbing the information Bona filled her in on while simultaneously discussing plans and ideas with Xuan Yi and wondering about Eunseo's surprise, her mind was occupied enough for her to put her previous worries aside. 

When all matters for the day were settled, the 4 women walked to the outdoors parking lot together, readying themselves to call a driver. Xuan Yi invited them for dinner, so they could later show her and Yeoreum around Seoul. But Cheng Xiao said she had plans, to which Bona smiled in relief. Her smile disappeared when she suggested they instead settled it for the next day and it was agreed on. 

When Cheng Xiao turned around to keep walking, she saw the familiar white car and wondered how she hadn't seen it coming. Of course Eunseo would pick her up. 

"I'll be going now. Let's meet again tomorrow." She said, directed at Xuan Yi and Bona, but her eyes were stuck to the woman in the white car for a while before she snapped her neck back. 

"Is that your sister, CEO?" Xuan Yi smirked, leaning her head to take a better peak at Eunseo. Yeoreum followed along. 

"N-no." Cheng Xiao waved a hand in front of her body and shook her head along. She then lowered her head and fidgeted with the handle of her suitcase. "She's my uh... p-partner?" 

"Your girlfriend, then." Xuan Yi elbowed her lightly. 

"Not quite... Well, you could say so." It didn't take long for Cheng Xiao to realize Xuan Yi had it figured out in the first place and she was the victim this time around, instead of Bona. It served her right when she spent the whole day internally laughing at her friend. 

"I'll be staying a little bit longer, after all. There's still stuff I want to take care of." Bona said, her head low, her face sunken. Cheng Xiao regretted the course of that conversation the instant she looked at her. 

Xuan Yi glanced at Bona and her eyes narrowed. 

"I'll be staying as well. I'm sure Ms. Kim would love my company and I can be of great help to her." 

"No, thank you. Really, I can handle this---" Bona said between her clenched teeth. 

"Don't push yourself so hard, Ms. Kim. We could all use a little help sometimes." She winked at her for the hundreth time that day and turned to Yeoreum. "Yeoreumie! You go on ahead, take a look around the city. Just try not to burn my credit card on dinner and souvenirs, please." 

Cheng Xiao excused herself and paced off to the car, forcing herself not to look back. 

 

"How did you know when I was leaving? I might have stayed here until midnight." Cheng Xiao asked Eunseo, opening the door and taking the passenger seat. 

"I texted a surprisingly helpful personal assistant." Eunseo grinned in pride, as Cheng Xiao swallowed dry. To think Bona had cooperated with it... It was best to smile and have a talk with Eunseo later, for the time being. 

"So, where are we going?"  

Eunseo pinched her cheek and then started the car. "You'll see when we get there." 

 


 

"We're here!" Eunseo clapped her hands as she finished parking the car. 

"We're home." Cheng Xiao frowned in suspicion. 

"Yep." 

When they arrived at the door, Eunseo instructed Cheng Xiao to wait outside while she put the 'finishing touches'. After no longer than 30 seconds, which already felt too long for Cheng Xiao, she stepped outside and told her to close her eyes. She held her hand as she opened the door once again. 

"You can open your eyes now." Glee could be heard in Eunseo's voice. 

When she did, the house was dark. Her gaze skipped past the impeccably decorated table, locking to the flame coming from the candle at the center, as if she was hypnotized. Everything around the flame started to become blurry, as did the flame itself. Every sound was replaced by deafening tinnitus, mixed with overlapping siren noises of different pitches, along with shrieks of what felt like a thousand people. 

"Xiao!" 

"Over there!" 

"Xiao, run. RUN!!!" 

"Miss, talk to me, can you breathe?" 

"Xiao! Xiao, I'm here!" 

"Come with me!" 

"Xiao, run. RUN!!! Run... Run... Run..." 

"Xiaaaaaaaaaoooooo!" 

A last, long, sharp call of her name echoed inside her skull, and then lights went out. Her body collapsed to the floor, motionless.

 

---

A/N: This is by far the biggest chapter so far. I'm trying to make my chapters bigger so I will be less lazy and to force myself to edit and actually get to the point with the story. I'm so sorry I took 15 chapters to bring Xuan Yi! I hope you like her :) Poor Xiao, just when things were starting to go smoothly... Hope you liked the small cameos. Thank you for your support :)