Let's Play a Game

I wish this was a dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Pick One"

The world around him was dark, blank, a void. Looking around Mark tried to find the owner of the voice. He felt his body startle as the voice spoke up again, the deep raspy sound making a shiver shoot down his spine.

"It's your choice. Pick one."

The words swirled around in his head, he tried to decipher what the voice was trying to tell him but could think of nothing.

"Pick what?" His voice shook as he tried again to find the owner of the haunting voice, but once again failed in his search as all he could see was the endless darkness which surrounded him. A shrill laugh ran through the air making the boy tense up, eyes searching desperately around him.

"You have to pick one Mark."

"But I don't know what I'm supposed to be picking!" His voice rose in desperation and confusion, the laughter continuing to mess with the boy. The sound was familiar but yet he couldn't remember where he knew it from.

"If you are so sure you don't know, why don't I show you another one?" The voice sounded closer. Mark felt his body freeze as he felt hot breath on his neck, he wanted to move away as it seemed to burn the skin it touched but his body wouldn't move. The voice continued this time next to the terrified boy's ear.

"Just remember this was your choice. It will be another person to join our little lottery."

"It's only going to get more fun from here"

Before Mark could even think of what that meant, his vision blurred. He closed his eyes and was surprised when he opened his eyes he was in the familiar area of the roller coster. He shivered looking around. 'No' he thought, finally piecing together what this meant. 'I don't want to see another one' he scrunched his eyes shut and willed the dream to end.

 

Of course it didn't.

 

"Mark" the shout was distant and strangely happy in comparison to the tense atmosphere that seemed to be trying to suffocate Mark, surrounded the boy in tightly in the darkness.

At the call of his name his eyes opened in surprise, his eyes darted around as he searched frantically for the owner, this time familiar.

"Mark, I'm up here" The voice called again and Mark slowly looked up at the roller coaster, fearful for the sight that might meet him. At the top he noticed a figure sitting on the tracks, their legs dangling over the side.

"Hyung! You should join me, the air is so fresh up here"

Mark ignored the younger boy's word, his breathing laboured as he struggled to in a much needed breath over his panic. He knew exactly who was sitting dangerously on the edge of the tracks, he knew but he wished it to not be true.

After a few minutes, Mark opened his eyes a new resolve burning in them. He was going to save him, he was going to take control. With no hesitance Mark walked towards the rollercoaster, stopping only briefly to look up before he started to climb. "Jeno, don't move. I'm coming up just like you wanted so stay still, okay?" he didn't receive a response but did not stop moving as he struggled up the tall structure.

Towards the top he saw a pair of legs still dangling and found himself sighing in relief that the younger boy was still there. Unexpectantly when he had almost reached the top a hand stuck out. "Grab my hand Hyung, I'm going to pull you up" the voice sounded different now, it was no longer happy, it was now scared as if the reality of the situation hit.

Mark grabbed Jeno's hand and struggled onto the tracks, as soon as he was safely on the ground he pulled the younger into a hug which he responded to. "I'm sorry Hyung, this is what you've been going through this whole time?" Mark pulled back confused, the younger boy was just a character in his dream why did it sound so real. Seeing Mark's confusion Jeno hurriedly spoke up. "I think we're sharing a dream scape. I was awake one minute and the next I was here" His voice quivered as he dared to look down.

'It's only going to get more fun from here' the words from the monster echoed in his ears, he now understood what it meant. It wasn't just him anymore he was now targetting his friends as well, making them experience the same horrifying experiences he had.

He choked back a sob at the thought, the man had said it was going to be his fault what happened now. It was his fault Jeno had to experience this mess. 

"Hyung we should get down, it's not safe up here" Mark simply nodded in agreement and they decided to follow the tracks down rather than climbing like Mark had originally when he wanted to get to the younger boy. They didn't walk far before Jeno stopped, eyebrows furrowed. "Do you here that?" Mark paused, it didn't take long before he heard something coming towards them.

"The rides been " he said, eyes blown in terror. "W-We have to climb down, the carts are coming". Jeno nodded and they both got on their hands and knees, carefully sliding down onto the structure below. Only moments after they were off the tracks they felt the vibrations of the ride carts above them, inhuman screams echoing as they did years ago when families came to enjoy their time, only to scream in terror when a young boy was thrown from his seat and onto the tracks, his blood spraying the first carts and the people in them when his body collided with the ride at a high speed. It was one of the accidents which accounted for the eventual shut down of the amusement park.

"We need to climb down now" the handsome boy nodded, tears in his eyes as he tried to not look down. After minutes of climbing, both teenagers collapsed on the safe ground below. Mark rushed to comfort Jeno as the younger boy started to cry. "It's okay, we're both fine, we're both alive and safe. If you had not been here I don't know what I would have done. I know it wouldn't have ended the same way". His next words made him feel guilty but they were genuine. "Thank You Jeno" He buried his head in the crevice between the boy's neck and shoulders, letting the relief flow through him as he sat next to the very much alive boy.

"It's over, can we wake up now?" Jeno asked as he calmed down. Mark looked around, he usually would have woken up by now. "I don't know, something feels wrong".

"What does?" Jeno asked as he surveyed their surroundings. "I don't know" He felt frustrated, he knew something was wrong but he couldn't figure out what. Jeno thought for a second before his eyes widen, a look of horror on his face. "What if we haven't woken up because it's not over?" The words hung heavily over the two as they sat in silence. "W-what if there's someone else here, or what if we're all here" Mark shook his head, that wasn't possible. There was no way that thing could do that, was there?

'Number 1'

Mark startled at the voice causing Jeno to look at him in confusion. "What's wrong?" he looked around to find what spooked the older boy but saw nothing. "Didn't you hear him?" Mark's voice was rushed as he frantically looked around.

"Hear who?" Jeno asked, confused.

"Him. His here somewhere" Mark said shakily as he grasped the bottom of his T-shirt tightly. Jeno shook his head, confused and concerned for his friend as there had been no noise at all.

"Hyung calm down, we need to find a way to get away from him. The only way we can do that is to find something. I don't know what but something tells me there are more people we need to find". Mark nodded as he tried to control his breathing, he soon had it under control and sighed.

"We should look around" He knew he needed to take control, they needed to do this fast in order to get out of there. As the oldest he knew it was his responsibilitly to get them both out and anyone else who was stuck there to.

"Should we split up? Cover more ground?" Jeno asked hesitantly. Mark shook his head "No, that puts us both at more risk, I have a feeling that are lives are no longer safe even if we are in a dream. Plus the reason this whole game started two years ago because he split up, right?". Jeno felt guilt pool in his chest, he knew his hyung was stating facts but hearing it made his heart ache.

"Where should we go first?" the younger asked slowly. They both jumped as the lights to the rollercoaster suddenly turned off leaving them in darkness. They hadn't taken much notice before but the rollercoaster lig

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter