The Park

I wish this was a dream
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

​"This was not a good idea."

A small group of young boys - teenagers - stood crowded together, different coloured hover boards sitting by their feet as they looked around the deserted car park of the old amusement park.

Honestly Mark, the eldest boy, had no idea why he had agreed to this. This was clearly the worst idea the group had come up with in a long time, which was saying a lot as they were known for their mischievous behaviour. By far this topped the list of bad ideas and Mark was going to try his hardest to put a stop to it.

"Why not Hyung?" Jaemin inquired a cheeky grin quickly growing on his face before he continued, "are you too scared Mark-ah? Don't worry Senior Jaemin will protect you" the younger stood in front of Mark, standing in a ridiculous pose that the elder supposed was meant to look like that of a super hero. Jaemin's smile grew when he heard a snort come from Donghyuck, who promptly high-fived him as he moved away from the oldest Hyung.

Mark shook his head, frowning at the carefree nature of the two younger boys. Looking around he saw Jeno wore an expression similar to his own, showing the handsome boy's disapproval at the childish behaviour of the two friends.

"We all know this is about that stupid dare with your classmates" he spoke, looking directly at Donghyuck and Jaemin. "I understand you don't want to lose, to be named losers or babies...or whatever by the other, but...isn't this taking it too far?" Mark pulled at the edges of his red beret, voice hesitant as if trying not to upset either of the boys.

"I agree with Mark Hyung, we don't need to prove ourselves, we have nothing to prove" Jeno voiced, rubbing the back of his neck, hoping that maybe the others will take him more seriously, which of course they did not, choosing to make fun of both the older boys. He looked at Renjun, the second oldest boy, hoping the other would speak up as well. He did not receive this help, the older Chinese boy just putting his hands up as a sign that he didn't want to get involved.

Seeing the interaction between his Hyungs, Jisung chose to speak up. "Come on Hyung, it won't be so bad. We'll just check out a few of the closer attractions, take a few pictures, then leave again, we can even stay as a group to ensure nobody gets lost or hurt, right?"

Mark sighed, he could already tell he lost, he raised his hands in defeat and gestured towards the main entrance way to the park. If he were to tell the truth, he would tell you he was absolutely terrified, he had heard the rumors whispered around the town about this place, about how when it was still opened it had claimed the lives of many, and that those restless souls were still there, haunting the park and hurting those who dared to venture inside.

"Okay, Fine! You guys win but make sure you always have your torch, phone and partner with you, I don't need any of you getting wondering off alone." Jeno gave his consent, voice laced with irritation.

Hearing the confirmation, the young boys all chose a partner. Donghyuck and Jaemin partnering, exclaiming how they would lead as they were the only brave ones, this comment earning an indignant noise from Jisung, who firmly believed he was the bravest.

The youngest boy was paired with Jeno and Renjun, the three of them walking just behind the self-proclaimed 'bravest' members who were leading the way. At the back, Chenle was grasping Mark's hand tightly, sticking closely to his Hyung, an action to which Mark just smiled fondly at.

Chenle wouldn't say he was scared...okay maybe he was a little scared but it was mostly because of his limited language. He had only been living in Korea for a few months so his Korean was improving gradually, learning more as he had the help of Renjun, who happily translated for the younger when he couldn't understand something.

Just before they reached the entrance, the boys had to walk past the ticket booth, the small room was dark, the sides and colours worn down by the weather and aging. From the corner of his eye, Chenle saw movement, looking towards the booth he saw what looked to be a shadowed figure inside the dark booth. Turning, he frantically pulled on Mark's sleeve, the older turning his attention towards him with curious eyes, which quickly turned to worry as he saw the panic of the second youngest boy.

"Ge, a man- there was a man inside the boo- room" Chenle pointed towards the dark space, trying to find the right words to explain. Mark swung round so fast, wide eyes searching the room, if Donghyuck or Jaemin saw him they would have been laughing at the comical look on the oldest boys face. The expression changed, eyebrows furrowing when he saw nothing.

The oldest was about to scold the younger Chinese boy, thinking he was trying to trick him, but quickly stopped himself, the look on the boys face showed that he was truly shaken up and the elder couldn't help but feel slightly worried. He was tempted to try and dissuade his friends again but quickly disposed of the thought knowing it would only waste his breathe, instead he wrapped an arm around the Chinese boy, giving his shoulder a slight squeeze in hopes that it might comfort the boy. It seemed to do the job as he felt the younger become less tense.

Pulling the boy with him, they squeezed themselves through the small gap in the gate, Mark going first, standing up and helping the younger through before connecting their hands once more and rushing to catch up with the others, who had not seemed to notice the missing group members. "We promised to stay together" Mark raised his voice to make sure the others could hear him as they walked.

The group walked slowly up the motionless escalators, steps careful to avoid injury, they didn't know whether or not the metal was still safe to walk on. At the top, the boys were met with a less than pleasant sight - and smell.

The grounds were deserted, the place was messy, looking as if the visitors had just dropped what they were doing and escaped from the tragic events that happened the day the park was officially closed down.

None of the boys knew exactly what happened, none of them had even been born at the time of the...incident, each just knowing what their parents had told them any time they had asked about it, 'The park was closed a long time ago and is now cursed, stay far away from it'. Clearly this warning had been ignored, the boys choosing to pretend they never heard the wise words their mothers had spoken.

"This place is a dump" Donghyuck exclaimed, voice loud in the silent park causing Renjun to give the boy a disapproving look, but did not say anything. Jaemin looked around, his face showing his excitement. "I wonder if we could get the power back on" an idea which was immediatly turned down by Mark. "There is no way we are getting on any rides, sorry I came here to supervise, not die" his tone sarcastic as he rolled his eyes at the younger boy, something which was immediately met with whines and protests of the boy.

Not far in front of them, a shadowed figure stood, watching the boys as they argued between themselves. 'The games begin' sinister smile on his face as he slowly walked back into the shadows.

 

-:-:-:-

 

The boys had been walking for a few minutes, trying (and failing) to reach the bumper cars. They had seen a park map and had tried to follow it but they seemed to be getting nowhere. Donghyuck stopped, turning his attention towards Jeno who was only a few steps behind him."You said this was the way" he whined, Jaemin joining or the fun of it. Jeno

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter