Danger #14

Stranger Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TIP #14: “Qui vivra verra”

(He who lives shall see)

 

“It should be around here somewhere..” In Hya tells herself as she reads the small handwriting on the piece of paper, wondering around the district.

She had spent the whole night reading recipe books on how to bake brownies.

Yes.

A freaking chocolate brownie.

First and foremost, she recognizes her own butter fingers and avoids baking anything alone.

Yesterday proved her right. She encountered several futile attempts; first cake was burnt, second was missing enough cocoa powder and third was extremely bland.

Until finally after countless attempt, she perfected the recipe, added a nutmeg on top and called it a night. Okay maybe not perfect, probably just edible.

She searches the reception counter and places the box on the desk.

“Excuse me.. I’m looking for Kim Jongin, is he around?”

The clerk looks up from her computer and reiterates her request, “Kim Jongin?”

“Um,” She blinks fast, “yeah.”

The clerk checks the system, squints her eyes, before averting her gaze back, “Ah, you mean Kai?”

She furrows. Does it matter? They are both the same person.

In Hya nods and the clerk lifts up her phone, “Mr Kai? There’s someone here who would like to meet you. Oh hold on,” She pulls away and covers the speaker, “Can I have your name?”

“In Hya.”

The clerk returns the call and ushers In Hya to take a seat, “He will be out in a min—“

“Hey.”

In Hya stumbles in shock when Jongin’s voice booms from the back. The clerk also seems equally surprised to see him reach in the blink of an eye.

Jongin leads them to his office but his face is still briefly stricken.

“I don’t really know how much more of your surprises I can take.” He laughs amusingly.

“Oh I am so sorry, I shouldn’t be interrupting yo—“

“Don’t get me wrong, I meant you should have told me you were coming. Then I could have prepared myself.” His face flushes pink.

In Hya stifles a giggle and slowly slips the box of brownies towards Jongin who has his eyes grazed with interest.

“I made some brownies for you.. Um.. I was bored last night.”

She scratches her elbow under his table. In Hya has never been a good liar since birth. Did it seem natural?

His expression changes in a faint way and it makes In Hya really nervous.

Jongin lifts up the container lid before their eyes lock for a moment. He is not really saying anything and it makes In Hya think that this might all be just a really bad idea.

“Um how do I say this..” Jongin tugs on his bottom lip regretfully, “I really love chocolates but sadly, I’m actually allergic to nuts.”

Yeap, this was definitely a bad idea.

For a moment, In Hya feels her heart drop with disappointment and mentally slaps herself with her insensitive gesture.

In Hya sighs silently as all potential optimism leaves her, making her feel stupid and well, just stupid.

 “Crap, I didn’t know I wa—“

“It’s fine.” He smiles thoughtfully and keeps the box safely in his drawer, “I’ll give it to Yunae at home, you won’t mind right?”

In Hya waves her hands in the air, “Of course I don’t, I will be more than happy in fact.”

“I’ll also ask her to give a verdict, to see if you’re a good baker or not.” He teases to cheer her up.

Her insides curl in a delightful manner.

“D-Don’t expect too much.” She bloats her cheeks.

At least he’s accepting my brownies..

“It’s the first time I’m receiving food from someone.” His brood voice pulls In Hya out of her reverie.

It’s my first time baking for someone too.

“It seems like I have many firsts with you.” The beam is still plastered on his suave face.

She blinks in an attempt to think and speeds up hysterically.

Like what? Does he mean it in a bad way? Oh no, what else has she messed up again? , has she ever offended him without realizing? What? What? Get it together, In Hya!

Jongin laughs heartedly at her confused face.

She is really so dense.

In Hya can feel her face burning with the playful look he is gazing her.

“You know what In Hya, just forget about it..”

Jongin finally walks her out of the office after they chatted for a while. She turns around and flashes a smile.

“I hope Yunae will like the brownies and I’m sorry about your nut allergy.” She bows.

Jongin’s chuckle folds his eyes into crescents as he hears her choice of words and it’s a really cute sight.

“Whatever for? It’s not like you were the one who caused me to have this allergy.”

In Hya ducks her head bashfully and shuffles her heel against her black stockings, “So.. see you around?”

Jongin nods, “See you.”

He makes sure he sees In Hya safely get into a cab before skipping back into the office building.

“Girlfriend?” Hyunsik pops out of nowhere and peers past Jongin’s shoulder as he also watches In Hya ride away in a cab.

“, at least make a sound next time will you?” The startled Jongin simply ignores his query and carries on moving.

“Who is she?” Hyunsik continues to probe while tailing behind his happy senior.

Jongin snorts, “Even if I told you, it’s not like you know her.”

“She looks quite pretty.” He nods.

Jongin makes a head turn, “You think so?”

“Woohoo, seems like love is in the air.” Hyunsik whistles gleefully.

Jongin nudges his arm jokingly and earns a grimace from the younger latter, “Just shut up and keep walking.”

 

* *

 

Baekhyun kept true to his words as he gives her little apartment a visit the very next noon.

“Come in, come in.” Mrs Kwon extends her door as Baekhyun makes his grand entry.

Baekhyun moves towards the couch and his steps creak under the wooden planks.

“Take a seat, I’ll prepare some drinks.” She smiles warmingly and he grins gratefully.

It is indeed a lovely house despite the fact that it is way smaller as compared to his. While waiting, Baekhyun can’t help taking a look at the photo frames that are neatly displayed on top of the shelves. Faint sunlight has seep through the curtains, reflecting a tiny shine on its glass so he can’t make out the photos.

“Say, is coffee fine for you?” Mrs Kwon offers.

Baekhyun nods, “Thank you for having me here.”

“No, what are you saying? Thank you for willingly want to spend time with an old woman like me.”

“You’re not old.” Baekhyun kindly remarks.

His glib tongue has always been reserved for women, specifically for the women he flirts with, meant to swoon them.

It’s a first to be complimenting like this as a form of reassurance but it feels.. oddly comfortable. Maybe it’s because he’s talking to a mother, Baekhyun thinks.

Mrs Kwon’s eyes lit with obvious enjoyment as Baekhyun sips on the aromatic coffee she prepared and Baekhyun is aware of it but he lets her be.

“It almost slipped my mind, but I got you some food on the way here.”

Mrs Kwon clasped her hands, “How nice of you.”

“So you don’t have to cook today.”

Mrs Kwon unties the bag and the sweet spicy scent soon swarms the vicinity.

“Wow, they look delicious.”

“Ah yeah,” Baekhyun brushes the nape of his neck, “I didn’t really know what to get on the way.”

“Good enough. My son and I will enjoy this.”

Baekhyun helps tie back the wrapper.

“By the way.. why did you buy so much rice cakes?”

 

* *

 

“You’ve been smiling a lot these days.”

In Hya turns around from her books, “I have?”

Mrs Min stands up to go to the teachers’ pantry and passes another vague answer, “Not surprising.”

Love sure does crazy things to people.

 

* *

 

Rich people’s apartments sure are different.

With security guards heavily deported at the gates and a elegantly grown garden right before the carpark along with, there’s pretty much nothing to dislike at all.

In Hya slides Baekhyun’s key card and carefully tips her toes in the really, really expensive looking flat. She takes out her little notebook, one she finds it useful as a daily planner, and checks the list of activities to do with Chunchun today.

“You’re finally here.”

“Jesus Christ.” In Hya jumps back and taps her chest in huge relief when she realizes it is just Baekhyun, “Aren’t you supposed to be at work?”

“The employer has to be there for his employee’s first day of work, shouldn’t he?” Baekhyun states as a matter of fact.

“Then why didn’t you tell me not to come?”

“Why should I?” He asks while raising a brow.

“Well, I’m supposed to dogsit Chunchun only because you’re not around. This actually defeats my purpose of being here.”

“Well since you are already here then..” Baekhyun smirks.

“Uhh.” In Hya simply grumbles and tosses her bag on the couch that Baekhyun is on.

Baekhyun takes the purple notebook that slips out of her bag and flips its contents, “Looks like you came prepared.”

In Hya springs forward and snatches it back, “Privacy, Mister.”

She runs her fingers in the back of her hair and ties it into a high ponytail, some of her violet strands dropping loose.

“You sure like purple.”

In Hya turns to look at him, positive that she heard

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter