Danger #11

Stranger Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TIP #11: “On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur”
(We see well only with the heart)

 

“You’re very good at this.” Mdm Bae praises as she watches Wonwoo peel the orange with a blade and twiddle its unbroken skin laced within his fingers, “Have you done this often?”

“Used to watch my Mum do this often.” Wonwoo politely answers.

Mdm Bae nods in response, “You must’ve been a very good son.”

Wonwoo pushes a thin smile but doesn’t say anything else.

Mdm Bae fusses around him and sets down a plate of freshly cut fruits, “Won.” She calls out invitingly, “Stop doing that for a while and have a taste of these juicy mangoes.”

Wonwoo drops his razor sharp knife and heads over to the small table as his employer urges him.

His eyes dazzle in pure delight and takes a generous bite into its flesh, “They taste amazing.”

Mdm Bae chuckles, “These mangoes just arrived this morning straight from the farm.”

“I see.” Wonwoo sinks into another bite as the gushing sound of its juices reverberates in his ears, “Thank you for these.”

Mdm Bae waves it off, creases forming as her weary eyes fold slightly, “Aigoo. I should be the one thanking you for being willing to work in such an old shop like this. What a waste of your fine looks.”

“I’m indebted to you. You were willing to take me in eventhough you saw my police record.” Wonwoo says with a small laugh.

“Don’t be too hard on yourself. Everyone deserves a second chance.” She trails off gently.

“Are you thinking about your daughter?”

Wonwoo watches her whole body turning rigid before she nods longingly, “It’s been ages since I last saw her. I really miss her.”

“Why don’t you go and meet her then?”

Mdm Bae shakes her head regretfully, “I’ve hurt her too much. With both my actions and words. I’ve been thinking a lot since we’ve been separated. Until I become a better mother, I’m too ashamed to face her.”

A mother’s love is a noble act. How revoltingly true from this perspective.

Wonwoo isn’t the least bit touched or empathetic. Seeing her milky eyes so forlorn makes him rejoice inwardly.

No one can tell, and that’s the best part.

A burning desire to taint her humble little request once again consumes his entire raging body. Things are going just the way he planned without lifting a finger.

For their whole family to feel pain, outcast, despair, just like they had done to him 8 ing years ago. To fully understand how it feels to be shunned from the rest of the world, almost as if banished from the face of the Earth.

Basically, like you have never existed at all.

Wonwoo hums solemnly to pretend to get in tune with her emotions, “Children will never forget their loved ones. I’m sure she’ll understand. Don’t worry too much.”

The whole shop that has been constantly looking so dull seems to have brightened a fraction with Wonwoo’s daily exuberant presence. Mdm Bae feels a tad lighter with his comforting words.

For a young man, he sure has a mature thinking that makes her amazed with awe. She can’t help but assume that his filial piety hails from an eloquent upbringing.

“Seeing you treating me so diligently like this might make me think that I really do have a son as well.” Mdm Bae lets out a thankful cackle before she pets his back tenderly while taking a quick yet curious look at his unique star tattoo above his lips, “What a great kid. I’m glad I hired you back then. My judgment of character never fails me.”

Wonwoo feels his eye twitch.

Most murderers are.

 

* *

 

Baekhyun has his whole body locked up as he sits like a tamed lion before the old man he calls a father together with his intimidating bodyguard positioned right by his side.

“Until when are you going to keep this up?” Mr Byun’s voice is lined with nothing but disdain.

Baekhyun looks away, “I’m doing fine in my own company.”

“You can easily attain the CEO role if you come to Synergy Corporation but yet you settled for such a measly role. How disgraceful!” Mr Byun roars.

“It’s nothing shameful. I built that company from scratch.” He defends weakly.

“I expected better from you, Baekhyun.” His father rapidly fires and Baekhyun can’t help but feel small before his presence, “Are you really going to give up a diamond for a pathetic rock?”

Baekhyun stares as he wonders how his father can remain composed despite giving out such a deadly threat. His face remains stoic the whole time, not even a sign of colour rooted that it feels so distant. His eyes harden as Baekhyun’s stare milds down.

“Yes.”

Mr Byun clears his throat thrice as he leans forward, his jet black hair slickens from the morning sun rays.

“I’m not sure if this is simply part of your rebellion plan, but it’s about time you get over I and your Mum’s divorce.

Baekhyun’s expression contorts into a snarl, “I never mentioned anything about that.”

Mr Byun smirks knowingly, “Oh Baekhyun, you are too easy to read.”

Baekhyun looks away with a scowl before standing up.

“I know you’re still angry with her for leaving us.”

Baekhyun stops walking, “Dad, stop.”

Mr Byun sniggers as his son catches the bait, “And you still think about it every night.”

“STOP!” Baekhyun yells, his fist trembling by the side.

Mr Byun eyes him in amusement as Baekhyun turns around to shoot a frustrated look. It will never not get to him.

“Please. Just let me be.” He breathes out and his voice sounds tired.

Mr Byun fixes his collar before promptly rising, his bodyguard following close behind, “Very well. I’ll come back another day.”

Baekhyun doesn’t bother to spare them a glance as the old man walks himself out of the door.

“Watch him, Secretary Kim.” Mr Byun commands behind closed doors and the guard nods.

As soon as Baekhyun hears the door creak under the weight of its lock, he lets himself fall to the ground and kneads the skin between his furrowed brows. It’s really confounding how his father’s words from over a decade ago still have the power to affect him.

This is exactly the reason why he has walls put up high.

People always find ways to hurt him.

Baekhyun was only 10 years old when his mother suddenly walked out on them. A small kid who couldn’t understand anything, Baekhyun soon develops deep resentment at such a young age.

He felt angry, really angry that night. Little Baekhyun stared at the full moon, crossed to see it still glowing when it should’ve been raining like his heart, stars should’ve stopped twinkling and shed tears with him.

His breath sounds battered and his heart beats slower as Baekhyun wonders if his wounds will ever heal.

The alarm clock in his room shatters the tranquility and Baekhyun just lets it be, he lets it ring and ring and ring until he finally gets up and swats on the buzzer.

He takes out his cigarette box, finally opening the sealed lid and puts a stick to his mouth when he pauses.

“S

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter