Danger #13

Stranger Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TIP #13: ”Masque de belles illusions”
(Mask of beautiful illusions)

 

Have you ever feel so speechless that even words fail and you can’t differentiate if you are dreaming or in reality?

In Hya pinches herself and muffles a low hiss.

She’s not dreaming.

“You. Are. Definitely. Drunk.”

Baekhyun flaunts his shiny keys as well and puts it next to the phone.

In Hya simply gapes and watches his hand move.

“In all seriousness, I’m offering you a job.”

“But why?”

Because Jongin doesn’t like it.

“I’m sure you are pretty upset after falling out yesterday.”

She diverts her gaze awkwardly and takes a sip of her latte.

Why is he bringing up yesterday? Most importantly, why is her heart throbbing?

In Hya fakes a smile, “You don’t know anything.”

It’ll be a lie to say that Baekhyun isn’t startled by her cold voice but he still clears his throat, “You’re right. I don’t. But it’s not difficult to see the dark thunders hanging over your shoulders.”

In Hya scrunches her face, “None of your business.”

“I’ll pay you twice as much from whatever the waitress job is paying you.”

In Hya folds her arms and scoffs, “Thanks but I don’t really like dogs—“

“Thrice.” He says, pointing up 3 fingers, “And at least, try to lie a little better next time.”

“T-Thrice?”

Baekhyun gloats smugly seeing as to how she’s quickly taken the bait.

In Hya glances around the café before propping her arms on the table and leans closer.

“What’s the catch?” She whispers as her eyes sparkles.

Baekhyun chuckles inwardly and does the same, “Here’s the deal. You play with Chunchun from 3pm after you knock off from the nursery until at least when I reach home at about 9pm daily. Simple?”

“Why do you want me to look after Chunchun?”

“I’m always outside and I rarely have time to play with her. Since you get along with her so well, maybe she will feel less lonely with your company. Besides, I can see she likes you, surprisingly.”

In Hya grins charmingly, “So my presence is quite important eh?”

Baekhyun snorts at her but still gives in, “Only to my dog. Not me.”

In Hya sinks deeper into her chair, “Good enough.” She points to the phone on the table, “But why give me a phone though?”

“It’s more convenient for me to contact you if you have a phone in your possession. And these keys are for you to enter my apartment when I’m not around.”

She rounds her eyes, “How did you know I don’t have one? The phone, I mean.”

Baekhyun feels the blood drained off his face and blinks rapidly, “O-Oh you don’t? I meant to give it to you as a separate phone. Looks like it’s your lucky day.”

“I don’t. I lost it some time ago.” She mutters in a serious tone.

Baekhyun fidgets in his seat guiltily, “Oh. That’s unfortunate. Then— you can use this phone as your personal one.”

“Your offer is too good to be true, honestly..”

“Yah you think this is for free?” He blurts out in a haste, “I’m gonna dock your first pay for the cost of this phone, so do a good job.”

In Hya picks up the new phone and examines it in her hand.

“Who is ‘Cute Prince’?” In Hya pauses at her list contacts and eyes him dubiously.

Baekhyun raises his brows knowingly, “That would be yours truly.”

“I’m changing it.”

“Rule #1, you’re not allowed to edit my contact name.” Baekhyun points out and grabs onto her hands, admiring her slender fingers for a while before letting go.

In Hya scorns and continues to scroll through her contacts.

“I also saved Jongin’s number for you.” He adds on and looks away.

Her thumb hangs in mid air seeing his name.

Kim Jongin.

“I’m saving his name as ‘Handsome Jongin’ instead.” She chirps merrily, oblivious to his snarl.

“Seriously?” Baekhyun balks at her varying shift in reaction and sulks, “Aren’t you being way too biased?”

In Hya nods giddily, “Well it has become my phone right? I can do whatever I want.”

Baekhyun grumpily the last drop of his latte.

“By the way.. don’t give this number to anyone else.”

In Hya looks up for a minute, frowning in confusion, “Why not?”

His own mind is starting to scare him as those weird messages etch like a parasite. Baekhyun is certain that it will be worst for her, especially for a woman.

If he doesn’t want to scare her, he needs to observe precaution.

He’ll have to keep it a secret.

Which means, he’ll have to lie.

“Rule #2.. Overusing it for unnecessary things will only charge the bills higher.. And I paid for your line.”

“Sheesh. I’ll use it strictly for business, don’t worry.” She grumbles boringly as Baekhyun emphasises on it mockingly.

“Rule #3, keep this whole thing a secret from Jongin.” Baekhyun isn’t done laying out his instructions, “Just do as I say.” He instantly clucks his tongue upon seeing her lips about to part.

In Hya puffs out the loose strands of her hair out of her face, “Why are there so many rules?”

Baekhyun narrows a long face and the girl groans.

“Fine, I’ll zip my mouth.”

Baekhyun triumphantly smirks, “That’s the way.”

“But you know, it’s such a coincidence that you offered me this phone because I was just about to buy one once my next pay comes in.” In Hya admits mellowly and raises it, “Thank you.”

“Yeah. Don’t mention it.” Baekhyun mutters quietly.

He lwatches at her, still admiring her new phone, but a distant look clouds over his face.

If only In Hya is able to read his thoughts there, maybe she could have spare herself from a lot of pain later on.

Because I have your phone.

 

* *

 

Baekhyun drives in his car and has not even bothered to play the techno clubbing music that should have been a routine while he’s on a ride.

It’s crazy how easily moody he can be these days.

He had spent his entire youth being playful, carefree, indulging in fun and temptation day and night.

Dating and flirting with different kinds of women also helped spice up his life and he was always looking forward getting to socialize with them, mostly materialistic people.

He figured that it was less troublesome this way, so that they wouldn’t be too attached and move on easily.

He never found it in him to be serious.

But now, things are different.

This concerns someone’s life.

Baekhyun swivels the steering wheel as he drives around the curb, about to switch lanes but hadn’t noticed a lady carrying two bags of groceries.

In a panic, he immediately steps on the foot pedal and manages to brake a few feet right before the shocked lady who stumbles.

His head knocks onto the wheel before he looks up, jumps out of the car and runs to the person on the ground.

“Oh fu— I’m so sorry.” He squats and helps her sit up while checking on her limbs, sincerely concerned, “Did I knock you down? Are you hurt?”

The lady grabs onto his arms for support as she straightens her back, “No, you didn’t. I fell by myself.” She says and points to her vegetables spread on the road.

Baekhyun quickly picks up all the fallen vegetables and puts them back into the bags, “I’m sorry, I really am. I didn’t notice you crossing.”

He helps her stand up and she dusts her legs, “I’m fine, I should’ve waited for the light to turn green.”

Baekhyun bites on his lips, “I’ll help send you home.” He offers politely and takes away the bags she’s holding.

The lady tries to take back her items but Baekhyun shakes his head.

“I can’t let you do that. I’ll be okay on my own.”

“Please let me do at least this.” He pleads as he sees her weary face, “I won’t be able to forgive myself if anything untoward happens.”

 

* *

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter