Danger #5

Stranger Danger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

TIP #5: “Petit a petit, l’oiseau fait son nid”
(Little by little, the bird makes its nest)

 

“Park Areum?”

“Here!” A bespectacled little girl raises her hand.

In Hya flips the checklist to the back of her note board.

“Now I’m going to mark the attendance for Group 4.”

The class replies a ‘Yes’ in unison and In Hya gives a satisfied thumbs up.

“Seo Joohyun?”

“Yes.”

“Cha Taehee?”

“Yeah!”

“Han Iseul?”

“Here!”

“Kang Seokjin?”

“I’m present.”

“And lastly.. Jung Yunae?”

In Hya looks up when she doesn’t get a response.

“Yunae?”

Her eyes linger around the room but there’s no sign of Yunae.

“Has anyone seen Yunae?”

The little children shake their heads. In Hya purses her lips when she checks her watch. The excursion bus will be here soon in a couple of minutes.

And maybe also, could it be because she hopes to see Jongin again..?

“I’m here!!”

The door flies open and in comes Yunae skipping merrily. In Hya’s face lights up as Yunae takes a seat.

She exhales in relief, “You made it in time.”

In Hya turns her face towards the door, anticipating Jongin’s arrival.

Her breath hitches as she tugs on her bottom lip.

If In Hya can slap herself right now, you bet she will. Her heart was acting out of the norm and keeps on denying her brain’s orders these past few days.

“Ah I’m sorry we were almost late—“

Her smile falters the moment Baekhyun jogs into the class.

The latter, as well, gapes upon seeing her. Baekhyun is shocked, twice as much from her, till he is rendered speechless.

The waitress from yesterday.

In the nursery class.

Staring shell-shocked at him.

Boring her gaze right through his skull.

Baekhyun can see horror painted in her face. She could have been at least a little discreet about it.

He derides, rolling his shoulders. Pfft, like as if he wants to meet her again. He's just as bewildered by this uncalled situation too.

But seriously though, why in the world is she even here?!

“Yu-Yunae? Who is this?” In Hya stammers and starts scratching her elbow.

Baekhyun's sight ultimately falls to her sudden action. He narrows his vision, slanting his head. Why does she keep on doing that?

“Oh that’s Baekhyun Oppa!” She chirps freely.

“I’m glad you made it in time.” She presses a thin smile and Baekhyun can tell it is forced. “You were almost late today.” She hurls a pointy gaze towards the latter.

A honk sounds from outside and it breaks In Hya from her trance. She peeks out the window to see the bus parking.

In Hya regains her composure, “Ah fellow children and parents. The bus is already here so kindly make your way outside.”

Everyone starts scuffling out of their seats and makes their way to the bus.

“Are you stalking me?” Baekhyun blocks her way, “You’re everywhere I go!”

“Me?” She emphasizes greatly, “What about you? This is where I work. I teach this school.”

“You teach here?”

Baekhyun recalls the photos she took with little kids in her phone album.

“Dammit.” He hisses quietly.

Of all places that she can teach, it turns out to be Yunae’s nursery.

In Hya lets out a proud smug, “Cat got your tongue huh?”

Last night’s incident strikes his memory and he subtly steals a glance at her hand. There’s a band aid hidden at the back of a palm. So shes's fine afterall.

Baekhyun clicks his tongue, “I’m just here to replace her guardian. After today, we we won’t see each other again.”

“You, honestly don’t have to put in that much effort for me.” She retorts paradoxically, “Idle talk aside, how are you related with her uncle?”

“Uncle?” He balks, “I’m good friends with Kai—“

“You’re friends with Jongin?” In Hya gasps.

“Jongin..?”

In Hya titters, “Daebak. For a friend, you sure are worlds’ apart.” She ridicules before heading for the door.

Did she just call him Jongin?

She did.

In Hya turns around to see Baekhyun in a daze, still frozen at the same spot.

“Aren’t you coming?”

Baekhyun blinks before moving along.

Jongin has never let anyone else call his real name.

 

* *

 

The morning bus excursion is an hour and a half long ride.

Children are jumping up their seats as they eagerly chatter. They are excited as this is the first trip that is organised for the semester.

Most of the parents are seating at the back, talking amongst them after a brief introduction. A few came to the front to pass some snacks to their kids.

“Everyone, please take a seat. It’s going to be a bumpy road ahead.” In Hya turns behind and leans towards her seat. “We’re halfway through the destination already.” She announces.

“Yey!” The bus shouts in unison.

All except one person.

In Hya darts her sight and locks her target on the man sitting by the window, viewing the outside scenery.

Everyone else seems to be enjoying themselves on the bus except Baekhyun.

He’s alone, not even attempting to converse with the other parents on board. 

He could be assumed to be unfriendly but it’s understandable, In Hya thinks. Considering that the rest of the guardians are parents around the same age group, maybe Baekhyun feels a little too young and out of place.

She searches for Yunae and finds her sitting at the back with two boys, exchanging their UNO cards, unbothered about her lonely guardian.

In Hya snickers inwardly. Finally this Baekhyun doesn’t seem all that mighty. Without Yunae by his side, he looks a bit pitiful.

Since Yunae is literally the one that Baekhyun knows here, apart from herself.

The thought of teasing Baekhyun riles her up as she wonders how the man will react. In Hya gets up from her seat and makes her way next to him.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Baekhyun shoots a glare past his shoulder.

“Uhh sitting, what else?” In Hya comments stupidly.

“That’s my point. Why are you suddenly seating here?”

“Here?” In Hya points at her seat, “Well this place doesn’t look occupied, does it?”

“There are a lot of other seats.”

In Hya shrugs shoulders nonchalantly, “I know.”

“Get out.” He nudges her.

“No.”

Baekhyun makes a full head turn and frowns at the childish woman. “Better go back to your seat, while I’m still asking nicely.”

In Hya’s smile forms into a lop-sided sneer, “Why? Are you going to like, run me down again? Like, the previous night?”

“You turned up out of nowhere in front of my car!” He hisses through gritted teeth, “Don’t make me sound like a hit-and-run driver.”

“Well okay, but you still almost knocked me down.” She backs up.

“You—“ Baekhyun points a finger but heaves before curling it into a tight fist, “you’re incorrigible.”

“If I’m incorrigible, then you’re hopeless.” She debates.

Baekhyun clenches his jaw and forcefully tears his gaze away from her. “..That’s a first.”

The ride continues as the bus settles down with time. In Hya smiles when she sees that the children are sleeping after wearing themselves out.

Baekhyun is not saying anything as well. He’s been resting his elbow on the ledge on the window while propping his chin.

Not once has he look at her.

“Do you hate me?”

Baekhyun is still looking out, “No.”

“Really?”

“I might now if you won’t shut up.” He commands.

“It’s gonna be hot out there, don’t you think?” She starts off another topic with undefeated vigour even after being shunned.

Baekhyun groans in irritation at her capricious behaviour and turns around, “Are you bipolar? Why are you asking so many random questions?”

“I’m not lying.” 

“Okay, so?” 

“I mean, you’re wearing thick clothes..”

“So now you’re gonna control what I wear?” He bemuses, “After invading my personal space?”

In Hya jerks her chin to the window, “Hey I’m just letting you know that it’s not going to be comfortable—“

“Yah!” Baekhyun snaps when his patience has run thin and startles a few parents.

He bows apologetically before seething, “Can you just please just leave me alone?”

In Hya gives up suppresses a victorious grin, “Arasso.”

She stands up and trudges to the front of the bus. Baekhyun sneers under his breath as he watches her strolling to her original seat.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter