Chapter 1: Camping

Pup or puppy?

Jaehwan is always happy, cheerful, get excited easily because of small little things. 

 

Today is Friday and Jaehwan is happy like usual, but he is more cheerful than usual. It's not because that there is no school the second day, it's because that he will be going for a camping with his group of friends in the forest. He was so excited when his parents gave him the permission the other day. Although he knew that his parents would allow him easily, as his group of friends is reliable and trust-able. On top of that, they are wolf, who born with instinct and can survive in the wild well. 

 

Speaking of his hyungs, Jaehwan pouts unconsciously. His hyungs said that they will pick him up before class and go the school together, but his hyungs are late, AGAIN. Most probably Wonshik hyung sleeps in again, Jaehwan thinks. Wonshik always sleeps in and forever in the sleepy mode for no reason and Jaehwan doesn't understand why, his hyung is not the type who will spend all night for revision and assignment as well.

 

After another 5 minutes of waiting, Jaehwan decides to go to school himself. He is tired of waiting and he feels like he will be late if he keeps waiting. He then picks up his bag and waves goodbye to his mother, "Umma~ I leave first!" 

 

"Aren't you waiting for Wonshik to pick you up?" his mother asks.

 

"Hyung is late. I don't want run madly to class" Jaehwan says and puts on his shoes. His mother smiles before going back to kitchen.

 

Jaehwan hums as he walks down the streets. Although he is unhappy a moment ago because his hyung is late, but he becomes cheerful again when he see the weather is good, not too sunny but slightly windy.

 

10 minutes later, he reaches his school. He smiles when he sees his other friends are already there waiting for his and others' arrival. 

 

"Hyungsssssssss" Jaehwan greets cheerfully and latches himself on one of their friends. 

 

Sanghyuk looks down and finds his adorable friend is clinging onto his arm.

 

“Jaehwanie~ morning” Sanghyuk greets the youngest in their group with a smile.

 

“Why are you alone? Wonshik and Hongbin supposed to pick you up isn’t it?” Hakyeon asks, frowns slightly as the baby of their group goes to school alone.

 

“They are late! I waited for a long time so I decided to come alone” Jaehwan complains and pouts.

 

“You should wait. You know we don’t like the idea you being alone” Taekwoon says and pats Jaehwan’s head.

 

“Stop babying me! I’m not a kid!” Jaehwan complains and cross his hands in front of his chest.

 

“Tomorrow mama Hakyeon will pick you up instead, okay?” Hakyeon says with a smile.

 

Jaehwan frowns, he knows he is the youngest among his friends but its not necessary for the others to treat him like a baby. He is already 17 years old and a high school student.

 

Taekwoon who senses Jaehwan’s change in emotion immediately cheers the youngest up by tickling the youngest. Jaehwan giggles and whines “stop.. hyungie stop…”.

 

“JAEHWAN!”

 

All of them turns around when they heard someone is calling the youngest.

 

From far, Hongbin and Wonshik are running towards them, panting heavily.

 

“We.. We.. We.. Wonshik can’t wake up! That idiot breaks his alarm” Hongbin accuses his friend who is also panting beside him.

 

“Hey! I’m your hyung!!” Wonshik says and glares at Hongbin.

 

“You two! I thought you two will come to school with Jaehwan. Our poor baby came alone” Hakyeon says, clearly upset at Wonshik and Hongbin who break promise.

 

“Sorry. Binnie hyung will send you home late, okay?” Hongbin apologizes and pats Jaehwan’s head, the younger only smiles and nods.

 

--- After class ---

 

“Later we will pick you up. Get ready by 4 okay?” Taekwoon says, as all of them reach Jaehwan’s house. Ever since the youngest enters the same school as them, they have made it a habit to send the youngest home together everyday.

 

“Okay! Hyungie must wake up from nap, okay?” Jaehwan asks cutely at Wonshik.

 

Wonshik only smiles embarrassedly and nods. Before the hyungs leave, Taekwoon pats the youngest’s head, gives him a warm smile before seeing the youngest enters the house.

 

The five elder then split way and go homes to prepare for their upcoming camping.

 

By 3.30pm, five of them have gathered together at Jaehwan’s house.

 

“Hi auntie!” all of them greet Jaehwan’s mother who welcomes them a warm smile.

 

“I think our little pup is still sleep. He was so excited that he barely slept last night” the mother says with a smile.

 

Five of them enter the youngest’s bed room. They can’t help but smile when they see Jaehwan is sleeping soundly on the bed.

 

When Hakyeon walks over to pat his head, Jaehwan will whine a little and leans into the touch, like a little pup.

 

“Jaehwannie~ wake up.. we have to go into the forest before the outside turns dark” Hakyeon says and wakes the youngest up.

 

Although they will be able to move around the forest easily as they basically spend most of their time there, but they have to be careful this time since they will sleepover in the forest. On top of that, recently there hunters who hunt for animals in the forest at night. So, to be safe, they have to find a safe spot before it turns dark.

 

Jaehwan wakes up at the mention of forest, he wakes up in a split second.

 

“Forest! Yes yes yes!!! So I can meet my friend?” Jaehwan asks excitedly. By the mean of friend, its not another werewolf, its actually a deer which Jaehwan found two weeks ago when they were hanging out at the forest. The deer is so cute that Jaehwan immediately decides to be friend with it the moment he saw it. Ever since then, he will always look for the deer whenever he goes to the forest. He even gave it a name, Dolly.

 

“You all are leaving now?” Jaehwan’s mother asks as she sees all six of the are walking down the stairs, Sanghyuk even helps Jaehwan to carry his bag.

 

“Be careful. I heard Jaehwan said that you all are going to have a run and the hunters are active at night.” She reminds again and the boys nods.

 

30 minutes later, they have reached the forest and found a perfect spot for them to spend a night. The land is flat, suitable for them to build a tent. The surroundings have bush and trees, a river by the side as well. Jaehwan is the most excited as the spot is near to the place where he knows his deer friend, Dolly will be.

 

As soon as they settle down, they start to build the tent and start up the fire. They split the work and smile in content when they see the outcome. The tent is big enough to fit six of them and Jaehwan even requests that he wants to sleep as far as possible from Wonshik, as the elder tends to snore when sleeping, which causes all of them except Wonshik to laugh.

 

The sun starts to set and the youngest three, Sanghyuk, Hongbin and Jaehwan whine that they are hungry. Wonshik and Taekwoon decide to go hunt around while Sanghyuk and Hongbin choose to catch some fish at the river. Hakyeon decides to start off with cooking some rice for them.

 

“Hyung~~~ Can I go see Dolly? It’s very near from here” Jaehwan asks cutely at his eldest friend.

 

Hakyeon smiles and nods “Come back as soon as possible, alright? Its late and the hunters may appear”

 

“Okay~ Thank you hyung!” Jaehwan thanks and hugs the elder. He then runs off to look for his friend.

 

About one hour later, Hakyeon has done with some side dishes while the other four who went to look for food come back with sufficient amount of food for them.

 

“We found a lot of fish. We even caught the one that Jaehwan likes the most” Hongbin says while showing the fishes that he caught Sanghyuk.

 

“Where is Jaehwan?” Sanghyuk asks and glances around, finds that the maknae is not there.

 

“He went to find Dolly” Hakyeon answers.

 

“Taekwoon and I didn’t see him on our way back tho” Wonshik says.

 

Hakyeon looks at them with wide eyes “! He promised he will be back soon but its almost an hour since he left”

 

Five of them suddenly panic and worry, afraid that the youngest may be in danger or maybe worse, encounter with hunters. This is because they know that its impossible for Jaehwan to be lost in the forest as all of them are really familiar with the forest, even those short cut ways to get out from there.

 

“We will wait for a while more. If he is not back yet, then we will go look for him separately.” Taekwoon says calmly. Although he is worry as well, its more important to stay at times like this rather than being panic.

 

Another few minutes passed and Jaehwan is not back yet.

 

“That’s it! We are going to look for Jaehwan. Something is not right. He is playful but he is always aware that we will be worry” Hongbin says, breaking the silence.

 

Hakyeon looks up with guilt. He feels guilty as he is the one who allowed Jaehwan to go alone. He can’t forgive himself if there is something happen to Jaehwan.

 

At the middle of their discussion about how they going to split the work and look for the youngest, they hear some noise from the bushes.

 

Wonshik and Taekwoon who has the best senses among them immediately become alert.

 

“Wait. It’s Jaehwan. I can smell him” Sanghyuk who has the best sense in smelling says.

 

True enough, Jaehwan walks out from the bushes. However, they feel even more panic when they see the youngest’s condition.

 

Jaehwan is walking towards them with heavy steps, shirt stained with blood, puffy eyes and tear-streaked face. It is obvious that something has happened and it involved Jaehwan.

 

Taekwoon immediately rushes over and examines Jaehwan.

 

“You came across with the hunters? What’s wrong with the blood?” Hongbin asks nervously.

 

“Are you hurt? Tell hyungie if it hurts” Sanghyuk asks.

 

“Mama is sorry for letting you go alone. My poor baby. Are you okay?” Hakyeon asks and checks the youngers from head to toe.

 

“Are you scared? Why did you cry?” Wonshik asks worriedly.

 

“We are just worried. No rush. Take your time” Taekwoon calms Jaehwan.

 

They all then sit in a circle after getting Jaehwan changed into clean clothing.

 

“I.. I went to see Dolly” Jaehwan starts.

 

“When I get nearer to him, I heard some noise and I found that there were hunters. I hid a tree. They.. they .. they killed Dolly in front of me” Jaehwan continues and cries.

 

Taekwoon pulls the youngest into a hug, “shh.. shh.. it’s not your fault.. don’t cry”

 

“If I go there earlier.. then maybe I can protect Dolly..” Jaehwan says sadly and buries his face in Taekwoon’s neck.

“Stop being sad okay? Hyungie caught your favourite fish! You can have it for dinner” Hongbin says.

 

Jaehwan nods and decides to be alone by the river side. He is still not good in controlling his feelings. He is usually not good in dealing this kind of situation.

 

The group of friend sit together around the fire again after the dinner has done.

 

Hongbin who is still worries about Jaehwan, keep piling food on Jaehwan’s plate, even feeds the younger with more food, trying to cheer the younger up with food.

 

Jaehwan smiles softly as he sees his friends’ effort to comfort him.

 

“Guys~ Lets finish dinner fast and we can go for a run” Taekwoon says with a smirk, it has been a long time they have gone for a run at the forest in their wolf form.

 

“YESSSS!!” The boys chorus and they can't wait to be able to run freely in the forest.


First chapter is up! Enjoy reading :D