006

Just the Five of Us

 

006

 

After patiently taking a two-week-long break from managing Haneul, Woohyun is now feeling much better and much more energized. His body is well-rested and his mind is no longer clouded with too much hormone-induced emotions. He wrote several songs during his break and was commended by his company’s producers because of the impressive melody and lyrics--all thanks to the inspiration given by the three little bundles of joy residing in his stomach. He’s had enough of the empty four walls of their new house and Sungyeol’s constant visits for his daily unsolicited parenting lessons so here is Woohyun now, happily wobbling around Haneul to check on the customers.

 

Ever since the art event at the nearby university nearly two weeks ago, more and more people are coming to Haneul. Students and parents alike fell in love with the food and the news must have reached many ears, so now they’re crowding Haneul as if it’s some kind of a foodie pilgrimage stop. Woohyun’s heart is swelling with joy at the sight of his packed restaurant. Seeing his staff systematically serving the patrons so well makes his heart swell even more with pride.

 

It’s really a dream come true for him.

 

“Woohyun hyung!”

 

He turns around with a smile and sees Taemin, his youngest server, standing in front of him.

 

“Yes, Taemin-ah?”

 

“You have a visitor,” Taemin says.

 

Woohyun frowns at the way Taemin’s eyes are glistening with something akin to mischief so he squints his own in suspicion.

 

“A visitor? Who is it?”

 

“Just see for yourself at table 8, hyung.”

 

Even before Woohyun can interrogate him more, Taemin walks away to serve a customer so Woohyun has no choice but to waddle his way to table 8. His heart skips a beat and does a cartwheel as soon as he sees the familiar figure with a messy mop of brown hair. When Woohyun’s reaches him, he gently nudges his shoulder with his bulging belly.

 

“Good afternoon, Nam Sajangnim,” Sunggyu teases, pretending to scramble on his feet to give Woohyun an unnecessary formal bow.

 

“You’re such a weirdo, Gyu-gyu!” Woohyun rolls his eyes but replies with a lingering kiss on the other’s lips nonetheless. “What are you doing here? Missing me already?”

 

“I heard a lot about Haneul so I decided to come see for myself what the fuss is all about and yes, you know I miss you whenever we’re not together,” Sunggyu says.

 

“Only good things, I hope?” Woohyun says.

 

“Wonderful things,” Sunggyu says.

 

They sit next to each other in the booth and Woohyun gestures for one of his staff to bring over some food.  Sunggyu looks around the crowded place with a grin before nudging Woohyun on the shoulder.

 

“This place is bumping with so many people, Woohyun-ah. I’m so proud of you,” Sunggyu says.

 

    “This is all thanks to the amazing teamwork of my staff,” Woohyun humbly says.

 

    “Ah, don’t be so modest, baby. You were the one who put them together and you also trained them. Also, do you really think that Haneul would be so popular if the food ?” Sunggyu says.

 

    Woohyun yawns and leans his head on Sunggyu’s shoulder, hands unconsciously rubbing his heavy baby bump. As he goes further into the second trimester of his pregnancy, the triplets are becoming more active. They move every now and then--just light movements, nothing too crazy.

 

    “I suppose,” Woohyun absentmindedly replies as he intertwines their fingers together.

 

    “I suppose. Whatever, you can deny the recognition all you want but I’m still very proud of you.”

 

Sunggyu pecks his forehead and their foods finally arrive. The older’s stomach growls as he is hit with the delicious aroma of the dishes laid out in front of them.

 

“But seriously, what are you doing here, Gyu-gyu? Don’t you have an interview or something at Seoul University?”

 

    Sunggyu almost chokes on his food as he remembers all about his interview that morning. He chews quickly and swallows his food with a huge gulp of water like a barbaric. Woohyun frowns and wipes his mouth with a tissue.

 

“I have a good news to tell you!” Sunggyu says, his smile so wide and his eyes disappearing completely.

 

“What is it?” Woohyun chuckles, seeing the excited expression.

 

“I know that you may not totally get it and it might not be a huge deal for you and I totally get it. I completely understand if this does not excite you one bit or if this does not seem like something you would like or whatever but--”

 

“Gyu-gyu! I don’t care if it’s something nerdy like all the other things you get excited about! Anything that makes you happy makes me equally happy as well, so can you just please tell me the good news?” Woohyun cuts in.

 

Sunggyu chuckles and rubs the back of his neck.

 

“I’ve been accepted as part of Dr. Lee Chaerin’s research team,” Sunggyu says.

 

Woohyun smiles and stays quiet, thinking that Sunggyu is going to say something more that would justify how excited he is but he’s actually done. That’s it. That’s the news and now he’s looking at Woohyun expectantly for a reaction that doesn’t come. Sunggyu’s face falls a little at the lack of response.

 

“Oh! That’s--That’s really awesome, Gyu-gyu! I’m happy for you! I’m sure it’s a great opportunity, huh?” Woohyun says, trying to save the situation.

 

Fortunately, the situation is saved.

 

“Indeed, Woohyun-ah! It’s a great opportunity and it just opened a lot of doors for me! Do you even know who Dr. Lee is?! She’s one of the greatest neurologists in the world and some organization sponsored a big-budgeted confidential study for her. I’m going to be a part of her team!”

    Sunggyu pauses to breathe before resuming.

 

“Sure, I’ll be one of the junior members who don’t really get to do major but at least I get a nice front seat to the research process, right? I’ll also have access to the files and everything and yeah, it’s just really amazing that I got accepted!”

 

Woohyun can’t really fully relate to what Sunggyu is talking about but seeing the sheer excitement and joy on the latter’s face makes him feel good as well.

 

“There were like hundreds of applicants from different universities and some were even the crazy smart ones. Only seven were chosen and I’m one of those lucky seven!”

 

“Okay, now you’re just bragging,” Woohyun rolls his eyes. “But nonetheless, I’m really happy for you! I’m sure being a part of her research team would greatly make your resume even more attractive than it already is, Gyu-gyu!”

 

“Thanks! I’m really happy for myself too,” Sunggyu responds before taking a huge bite of his food.

 

“And the triplets are also proud of you, daddy!”

 

The word just comes tumbling out of Woohyun’s mouth as he fondly rubs his triplet-sized baby bump, unaware of how he made Sunggyu choke a little once again. He isn’t really expecting his boyfriend to refer to him like that and he has been avoiding the topic of what their triplets would call them once they’re already born since the beginning of the pregnancy. Myungsoo and Sungyeol let their children call them papa and mama respectively. Sungyeol is fine with being called mama because despite him having the tendency to be a little childish, he embraces the term with all of his long limbs. Woohyun, on the other hand, would never let anyone call him that.

 

I’m a man! Sunggyu could almost hear him shout in indignation. But since Woohyun was the one who opened up the topic, Sunggyu decides to test the waters.

 

“Aww, thanks, mommy!” he says.

 

That’s a huge mistake.

 

“ you, Kim Sunggyu!” Woohyun yells, brutally slapping Sunggyu’s upper arm.

 

The customers around them stop whatever they had been doing to look over in their direction to see what’s going on. Sunggyu gives them an embarrassed smile (while holding in the scream of pain because holy , Woohyun slaps hard) but it seems like Woohyun is unaware of the eyes on them.

 

“Don’t call me that! Do that again and I won’t even let you see the triplets!” Woohyun scolds.

 

“Okay, okay, I’m sorry!” Sunggyu whispers, trying to console Woohyun because the people are really staring.

 

“I’m a man!”

 

There it is.

 

“Yes, yes, you’re a man. I’m sorry. Woohyun-ah, please the people are staring.”

 

“I don’t care!” Woohyun snaps, nose flaring in anger but he’s obviously a lot calmer now.

 

“I’m really sorry!”

 

Sunggyu looks away and pretends to be nonchalantly eating his food so people would stop staring. Woohyun consciously looks at the customers, his cheeks slightly flushed red with a little embarrassment. But he moves closer to Sunggyu and whispers.

 

“I swear, Gyu-gyu, if you call me mommy once again, I’m going to shove a broom up your !”

 

Since Woohyun is calling him Gyu-gyu again, he supposes that the younger has calmed down already.

 

“Stop swearing.”

 

“ you, you little piece of .”

 

 

When Woohyun next comes in for his regular check ups with Dr. Choi, Sunggyu tags along. The older miraculously got several days off and he wants to spend every moment with his precious boyfriend. What better way to do so than to accompany him to the check up, right? Dr. Choi, frog-eyed and kind-faced, greets them enthusiastically and immediately goes to check on the triplets. Woohyun is already on the fifth month. Dr. Choi commends them for making it this far in the second trimester without any incidents aside from the normal pains Woohyun experiences because the triplets are growing. But right after going through the whole ordeal of the check up, Dr. Choi says something that slightly bothers Woohyun.

 

“Unfortunately, this is the last appointment you have with me, Woohyun-shi,” he says.

 

“Huh? What do you mean, Dr. Choi?” Woohyun questions.

 

“To assure your safety and the triplets’ as well, I decided to entrust you in another doctor’s hands. Dr. Byun specializes in high risk pregnancies and I’m sure she would take great care of you.”

 

“I’m being transferred to a doctor who specializes in high risk pregnancies?” Woohyun gasps. “But I thought the triplets are in perfect condition?”

 

Dr. Choi smiles and nods. “Yes, yes, everything is going very well, Woohyun-shi. There had been no complications whatsoever and I want to keep it that way. As I told you before you are the only patient I had that has triplets. I’m afraid I still have a lot to learn. Dr. Byun is going to assure your safety more than anyone else.”

 

“But...why? Do we really have to transfer to someone else? I mean, I think you’re good enough. You’ve been amazing, Dr. Choi. Are you sure there’s nothing wrong with the pregnancy?” Woohyun says.

 

Sunggyu places a hand in Woohyun’s shoulder and squeezes it comfortingly.

 

“Woohyun-ah, just because you’ve been passed on to a high risk doctor, doesn’t mean that there’s something wrong. I mean, technically you’re a high risk patient...a sensitive case if you may. Being pregnant with one child is risky enough so what more if you have three? But nonetheless, you are fine. This transfer is just to assure your safety like what Dr. Choi had said,” Sunggyu explains.

 

Even though Sunggyu wants it to reassure Woohyun, hearing himself admit out loud that Woohyun is more vulnerable than most pregnant people makes him feel a little anxious. But he conceals his emotions and just settles to give Dr. Choi a sad puppy look.

 

“Fine...but I’m going to miss you, Dr. Choi. I was under the impression that you’ll be our caretaker until the end but you’re already abandoning us this early,” Woohyun says, making his plump lips stick out adorably.

 

Dr. Choi laughs with a shake of his head at Woohyun’s antics. It’s actually hard for him to entrust this puppy and the triplets to another doctor because he has somehow grown attached to them. It’s hard not to be fond of Nam Woohyun, after all. No matter what he does, he’s just so cute and it’s also hard not to get attached to the triplets. They may be nothing more than little alien-looking, black and white creatures on the monitor at the moment but Dr. Choi looked and cared for them as if they’re his own little ducklings. They’re his first triplets case, after all. But to make sure that everything will go smoothly and his black and white ducklings would transform into pink and wrinkly little humans, he knows that transferring them to the great Dr. Byun’s care would be the best option.

 

“Don’t worry, Woohyun-shi, you can still call me like you usually do if you have any questions or concerns. I can still give you advices,” Dr. Choi assures.

 

“Of course! What made you think I would stop bothering you? In fact, if this Dr. Byun proves to be not up to the standards of the triplets, we would go back to bothering you full-time,” Woohyun says.

 

With that, Sunggyu and Dr. Choi both heartily laugh at Woohyun.

 

“You’re being extra adorable today, sweetie,” Sunggyu remarks.

 

“Yeah, you’re making this hard for me, Woohyun-shi,” Dr. Choi agrees.

 

They chat for a few more moments until Dr. Choi’s secretary knocks and politely tells them that the next appointment is already here. Woohyun reluctantly says goodbye to Dr. Choi (with tight hugs and whiny complaints). Sunggyu feels a little jealous, just a little, so he coaxes Woohyun out of the doctor’s office by gently pulling his hand. Woohyun then sees the secretary outside and his whines and hugs act starts once again.

 

“I’m going to miss you and the cream buns you give to me while waiting for our turn!”

 

Sunggyu shakes his head fondly, all the anxiety he felt earlier is slowly dissipating upon seeing his boyfriend acting this way. Pregnant Woohyun has so much more love to give than normal Woohyun and if you know him, you know that this is beyond excessive already.

 

 

“Yes, this is Nam Woohyun. To whom am I speaking to?”

 

Sunggyu wakes up with a start at the sound of Woohyun’s booming voice. He groans, feeling the space next to him being vacated and soon, he hears the bedroom door open and close as Woohyun exits. Sunggyu shuts his eyes, trying to sleep once again but his headache is slowly creeping onto him. In addition, the muffled voice of Woohyun from the living room and the chirping of birds by the window are too much for his heightened senses. He rolls over and reaches out for his phone to check the time.

 

7:30 am

 

He looks at the closed bedroom door with a frown because who the heck calls at this ungodly hour? Woohyun should be sleeping at least until 9 but this person is bothering him. Sunggyu is about to get up and snoop in on the phone call but even before he could hoist his body up, their door bursts open and Woohyun comes flying in with a shout. He jumps on the bed and tackles Sunggyu while yelling causing the older man to be alarmed. Pregnant people shouldn’t be going around jumping on beds and tackling their still sleepy boyfriends.

 

“Gyu-gyu!!!” Woohyun yells.

 

“What?! What?!” Sunggyu panics, sitting up as he scans Woohyun for any sign of injury.

 

“That was a KBS writer! A writer from KBS called!” Woohyun yells.

 

Sunggyu, still not getting over his shock, blinks at Woohyun and gives him another once over to check if he’s really not hurt somewhere.

 

“Huh?” he says.

 

“KBS, Gyu-gyu! The TV station! She’s the writer of that food program, Celebrity Tasty Adventures!”

 

Sunggyu is still frowning, his brain is still partially asleep and is not following where Woohyun’s story is going.

 

“The show’s name is cheesy, I know!” Woohyun laughs. “But it’s the highest rating show in the afternoons and guess what!”

 

“What?” Sunggyu says.

 

“THEY WANT TO FEATURE HANEUL FOR A WHOLE EPISODE!” Woohyun exclaims, while shaking Sunggyu back and forth. “A WHOLE EPISODE, GYU-GYU! That’s like a whole hour of exposure for us!”

 

With his brain finally becoming fully conscious thanks to Woohyun’s shaking, Sunggyu lets out a surprised gasp.

 

“Are you serious?!” Sunggyu says.

 

“The serious-est I’ve ever been in my whole life! They said that Haneul is becoming really popular among the netizens because of the good reviews that some huge bloggers made! My restaurant is going to be seen on TV! Can you believe this?!”

 

“Wow, this is really a great news, Woohyun-ah! What a way to start the day! ” Sunggyu says, getting as hyped up as his boyfriend.

 

“I know, right?! So much better than seeing the toilet first thing in the morning! Oh my gosh, I have to call my staff and tell them this great news! But of course we have to prepare for the filming too and I have to improve some recipes so that no matter what they order, everything would be tasty!”

 

Woohyun starts rambling to himself, enumerating the things that he has to do to live up to the good reputation that Haneul has already built. He tunes Sunggyu out as he starts to get overwhelmed by the preparations, so the older takes ahold of him and stares into his eyes.

 

“Hey, don’t you stress yourself too much. Haneul is already perfect just the way it is. It’s being featured because of what it is right now, so you don’t have to stress too much, okay?”

 

“Okay…” Woohyun replies.

 

“Good.”

 

Sunggyu gives him a quick but sweet kiss before Woohyun’s phone rings once again.

 

“Myungsoo? What does this brat want?” Woohyun mumbles as he presses the answer button.

 

“Hyung!” Myungsoo greets as soon as Woohyun answers.

 

“Myungsoo!” Woohyun teases but the other just chuckles at him.

 

“I heard that Haneul is being featured on KBS! Congratulations! I’m so happy for you!” Myungsoo says.

 

“Thank you! News sure travels fast!” Woohyun laughs.

 

“Of course, it already reached me. I’m going to be the celebrity guest for that episode, hyung, so you better stack up on the serving size! You know me and my appetite, right?” Myungsoo says.

 

“What is this? You are going to be the guest?”

 

Woohyun lets out a humorless laugh to tease his dongsaeng.

 

“Do they even know how much you like eating? You’re going to say that everything’s delicious even if it’s not!” Woohyun says.

 

“Hey!” Myungsoo whines. “I’m going to be one hundred percent honest on my comments! I’ll be more brutal because you’re my friend and I’ll expect a lot from you, hyung!”

 

Woohyun chuckles and Sunggyu, who is perfectly hearing the conversation, rolls his eyes.

 

“Yes, yes, whatever, sir Kim Myungsoo. I’ll make sure I won’t disappoint you. Your huge fanclub might come after me if I do,” Woohyun says.

 

“I’ll take your word for it!”

 

Suddenly, the sound of babies crying could be heard in the background and Sungyeol calling Myungsoo. Woohyun hears a sigh on the other line.

 

“That’s my cue to hang up. The twins are being grumpy today. See you soon, Woohyun hyung! Say hi to Gyu-nim for me.”


 

Author’s Notes: I want to know what you guys think of the plot so far? Is it too boring? Too fluffy? Too cheesy? Unrealistic? Let me know in the comments!

 

Also! Thank you for patiently waiting for this update! I’ve been really busy with schoolwork and birthdays (cause most of my friends and myself included were born in September, my gosh!)  so I couldn’t really find time to write. But anyway, hopefully, I would be able to update weekly again starting now.