004

Just the Five of Us

004

 

Standing in front of a full-body mirror, Woohyun fusses over his locks that just won’t stay in place. Several moments pass and his efforts are still fruitless so he just lets his hair be unruly and turns his attention towards his clothes--his comfortable baggy shirt in particular. Dressed in a pastel blue knit sweater that is twice bigger than his actual size, his growing baby bump can’t be noticed at all. Sunggyu told him not to wear something too big and just let his shirt hug the three-month-old triplet belly beautifully. But with Sunggyu’s parents coming over for lunch for the couple’s big announcement, the younger wants to wear something that won’t give away the news the moment they walk into his front door. He wants to surprise them a little.

 

After making sure that he looks perfect, Woohyun slowly walks towards the bed and sits down to rest his aching feet. According to Dr. Choi his three-month-old triplet belly looks like a five-month-old belly of a normal pregnancy. Woohyun is rapidly gaining weight and he doesn’t know how his mother fails to notice anything despite being under the same roof as him.

 

“Are my babies to miss grandma when we move out?” Woohyun whispers, his baby bump fondly. “Because I sure am going to miss her.”

 

Woohyun and Sunggyu spent the last three weeks preparing to move in together. One week was spent looking for the perfect place and the two weeks were spent for furniture shopping. It had been a very stressful feat for them especially for Woohyun who is constantly tired and sleepy because of the pregnancy. Finding a decent place that fits their price range wasn’t hard at all. However, the fact that they had a lot of options made the decision-making more complicated especially with Sunggyu’s and Woohyun’s contradicting tastes.

 

Thankfully, the hunt is successful. Woohyun and Sunggyu (and the triplets) are going to be living together in an actual house in the suburbs rather than in a small apartment building in the heart of the city. The house has a backyard--a tiny one, but at least it has a backyard where their triplets could hang out when they’re old enough. They are lucky that it was located in a town that is near both Haneul and the hospital. Woohyun and Sunggyu are set to move in together in less than a week and both of them can barely contain their excitement.

 

“Woohyun-ah?”

 

The said man turns at the sound of his boyfriend’s voice and finds him looking anxious by the doorway.

 

“What’s the matter?” Woohyun worriedly asks.

 

“My parents are here,” Sunggyu replies before nervously gulping and smoothing out his perfectly styled hair.

 

“Okay, tell them I’m coming. I’ll just pee!” Woohyun says.

 

“I’ll just wait for you,” Sunggyu hastily says.

 

“Gyu-gyu, it’s rude to leave guests waiting alone!”

 

“Your mom is already talking to them! Go pee so we can join them already.”

 

Woohyun stares at Sunggyu who looks strangely constipated before shaking his head disapprovingly. Sunggyu has always been uncomfortable around his own parents and Woohyun thinks it has something to do with how extremely strict they were with Sunggyu when he was growing up. To be honest, Woohyun thinks there’s no need for Sunggyu to feel that way anymore since Mr. and Mrs. Kim significantly became more lenient with him since he graduated med school.

 

“Kim Sunggyu,” Woohyun warns, eyes narrowing.

 

With that, Sunggyu lets out a defeated sigh before trudging back to the living room. There really is nothing he could do when Woohyun uses his full name with that tone. Woohyun shakes his head and does his business in the bathroom before finally joining the others in the living room.

 

“Woohyun-ah,” Mrs. Kim cheerily greets, “so nice to see you again!”

 

“Is my boy treating you well?” Mr. Kim adds in with a smile.

 

“It’s so nice to see you both again too! And yes, uncle, he’s treating me well despite his busy interning schedule!”

 

They say their greetings and engage in small talk until Mrs. Nam asks them to go to the kitchen so that they could already eat the lunch that she and Woohyun prepared. While the elders march into the kitchen, Woohyun catches Sunggyu’s anxious eyes and reaches out for his hand to reassure him. Woohyun is feeling nervous as well even though he knows that they would most likely receive the news positively but Sunggyu, who would never want to disappoint his parents, is much worse than him.

 

“ it up, would you?” Woohyun teasingly whispers into Sunggyu’s ears before leading him to the kitchen to join their parents.

 

 

“Ah, I’m so full, I might not be able to eat for the next five days or so!” Mr. Kim says, leaning back on his chair after eating the main course.

 

Mrs. Kim laughs and puts a hand on her husband’s shoulder, “Dear, what do you expect? We are at the Nams’ where nothing but the best tasting dishes come out of their pots!”

 

Mrs. Nam laughs and says, “Minyoung, you flatter me so much! But I hope both of you aren’t too full? Woohyun baked a cake for dessert!”

 

“Yes, it’s currently the best selling cake at Haneul and I would really like for you to taste it!” Woohyun pipes up, beaming at them brightly.

 

“I said I’m full but I didn’t say I’d refuse the best selling chocolate cake from Haneul. I’ve read so much positive reviews about your restaurant on the Internet, Woohyun-ah,” Mr. Kim says.

 

Woohyun laughs at that as he walks to the refrigerator to retrieve the cake he baked. Once everyone has a slice of it on their dessert plates, Woohyun gives Sunggyu a signal and with a clear of the older’s throat, everyone’s attention is on them.

 

“Mom, dad...Mrs. Nam,” Sunggyu begins, “Woohyun and I have something to tell you.”

 

Woohyun thanks the heavens that the mothers simply put down their forks and look at them expectantly instead of jumping into conclusions like oh my goodness are you guys finally getting married?!

 

“Yes, what is it?” Mr. Kim says.

 

Sunggyu gulps and reaches for Woohyun’s hand under the table before uttering the words.

 

“Woohyun and I are going to start living together next week. Also, he is three months pregnant our triplets,” Sunggyu says.

 

There is a gasp from Mrs. Kim and an exclamation of disbelief from Mrs. Nam while Mr. Kim remains quiet while sporting wide eyes.

 

“Goodness gracious! Triplets?!” Mrs. Nam almost yells as she puts her hands on both sides of her face.

 

“Yes, mom,” Woohyun says with a small smile.

 

“Dear oh dear, Sunggyu! What activities have you two been engaging in for you to end up with three babies at once?!” Mrs. Kim says.

 

Sunggyu is profusely blushing but but doesn’t say anything while his dad pats him on the shoulder saying, “I’m so proud of you, son. You know where you got those high quality from, right?”

 

Hearing that, it’s Woohyun’s turn to blush. Mrs. Kim shakes her head at her husband and turns to Woohyun with worried eyes while Mrs. Nam is still shell-shocked.

 

“Woohyun-ah, I knew something was up with you these days...moodswings, increase in appetite...not to mention your face is resembling a dumpling more and more but I didn’t realize--triplets. What a news!” Mrs. Nam says.

 

“Yes, triplets! Twins are rare enough but here you are with triplets! Are you certain that you’re carrying triplets?” Mr. Kim says.

 

Woohyun nods, “Yes, I already went to the gynecologist twice.”

 

“Do you know the genders already? It would be nice to have three little boys!” Mr. Kim speaks up.

 

“Oh, dear, don’t be silly! They should have three little princesses for granny to spoil!” Mrs. Kim contradicts.

 

Mrs. Nam laughs and dismissively says, “But don’t you think it would be nice to have at least one boy? A mix would be perfect!”

 

While their parents squabble with each other, Sunggyu looks at Woohyun and shakes his head with a laugh. The tension in Sunggyu’s heart has obviously been lifted now that he’s seeing how excited they actually are to spoil their grandchildren. Woohyun puts Sunggyu’s hand on his growing baby bump and mouths a teasing I told you so.

 

“But are you sure you would rather move in together instead of just staying with me?” Mrs. Nam suddenly interjects.

 

“Yes, mom. I think Sunggyu and I are ready for that step.”

 

“Okay, but I think you would do better if I’m with you so I could take care of you. You’re having triplets after all!”

 

“It’s fine, Mrs. Nam. I think Woohyun and I need to start being independent. We wouldn’t want to trouble you so much,” Sunggyu assures.

 

“Alright, if you say so! But you won’t stop me from dropping by every once in a while! I want to make sure my babies are doing well!” Mrs. Nam says.

 

“Count me in! I’ll be visiting regularly so, Sunggyu, please text me the address of your new apartment, okay?” Mrs. Kim pipes up.

 

The expecting couple is perfectly fine with that and after a few more discussions about the triplets, Mrs. Nam suggests that they all have a toast for the bright future that is yet to come.


 

 

The moment the last piece of furniture is set on its proper place in the living room, Sunggyu plops down on their new bed with a cry of agony because of his aching back. Woohyun sees the movers out to the door, thanking them profusely and handing a generous tip before locking the door. They just moved in their new house in the suburbs. They arrived with the movers as early as 6:30am and it’s now 10:30pm. With the efficiency of the moving services in their country, neither Sunggyu nor Woohyun anticipated that it would take 16 hours to settle despite them not having a lot of possessions. But they obviously underestimated the process of moving in.

 

Woohyun waddles into the kitchen, stomach feeling extra heavy because of his low energy level. He takes out a glass, wanting to drink water but when he opens their new fridge, it’s completely bare. He pouts and stares at the tap. He turns the faucet and gets some water into his glass. Woohyun is about to raise it to his lips before stopping abruptly, hesitating. He used to drink from the tap every once in a while when their water filter is too dirty to pump a decent flow and he never once had any problems. But now that he’s pregnant, Woohyun’s not sure if he could risk drinking from the tap. Dr. Choi told him to be extra careful about what he eats and drinks, after all.

 

Woohyun puts down the glass and makes his way to the bedroom where he could bug Sunggyu to accompany him to a nearby convenience store to get water and some food as well. But when he enters their bedroom, Sunggyu is lying on his back, limbs spread apart wildly, completely passed out.

 

“Gyu-gyu?” Woohyun calls out.

 

His call is answered by Sunggyu’s soft snore, making him pout even more.

 

“We don’t have drinking water!” Woohyun says, dropping down on top of his boyfriend.

 

“Mmhhm?” Sunggyu grunts, trying to pry Woohyun off him.

 

“Wake up, Sunggyu. I’m thirsty,” Woohyun whines as he clings onto Sunggyu’s collar.

 

“Tomo...rrowww,” Sunggyu mumbles. “Let’s just...sleep, my looove…”

 

Woohyun chuckles and bops Sunggyu’s nose with his own pointy one.

 

“But we still have to eat black bean noodles too, remember? It’s a tradition,” Woohyun says.

 

That seems to catch Sunggyu’s attention. He opens his sleepy eyes and stares at Woohyun.

 

“Maybe they have bottled water,” Sunggyu says in a croaky voice.

 

Woohyun hums in agreement. His bribe is successful. “Aren’t you going to wake up and order some?”

 

“...Okay…”

 

Sunggyu wraps an arm around Woohyun to keep the latter steady as he stands up to get his phone from the bedside table. Woohyun wraps his arms around his husband’s neck and snuggles into his collarbones, half nibbling and half kissing them while Sunggyu orders their food.

 

“Do you have...bottled water?” Sunggyu asks, trying his hardest to keep his composure now that Woohyun moves his kisses down his torso. “Okay, give us five. Yeah...okay…”

 

After getting off the phone, Sunggyu flips them over so that Woohyun is underneath him.

 

“Whoa, careful now. Pregnant person here,” Woohyun says, wagging his index finger at him.

 

“Such a tease,” Sunggyu growls before attacking Woohyun’s face with wet kisses.

 

The butterfly kisses transitions into something hotter and more intense, Sunggyu’s long fingers start roaming on Woohyun’s warm skin and the between them grows by the second. Woohyun slides his hands down Sunggyu’s back, pulling him closer and kissing him on the lips. He lets out a moan as Sunggyu’s tongue meets his, dancing a familiar dance before Sunggyu starts to tug at the hem of his shirt. In a flash, Woohyun’s shirt is gone and the older is peppering his chest with lingering kisses-- and nibbling greedily.

 

“Can...can we do this while I’m pregnant?” Woohyun pants, looking down on Sunggyu who looks up at him with hazy eyes.


 

“Of course,” Sunggyu replies.

 

Woohyun opens his mouth to ask another question but Sunggyu already has one of his s in his mouth and the question turns into a throaty moan when pleasure shoots up in this veins. Soon enough, every piece of clothing is shed and their bodies slick with sweat are connected in the most intimate way, moving gracefully against each other.

 

“I love you,” Woohyun breathes out as his hits him like tidal waves.

 

Shortly after his release, Sunggyu too is spasming on top of him. Woohyun feels the older’s lips all over his body, hands roaming everywhere before gathering him in a tight embrace.

 

“I love you too…” Sunggyu moans as he holds Woohyun tightly in his arms, bodies still intimately connected. “...so much.”

 

Sunggyu lazily puts kisses on his collarbones, trailing down until they reach his baby bump. Woohyun watches his boyfriend nuzzling his face on the taut skin and whispering things he couldn’t make out. He lays his head back down on the pillow and closes his eyes while feeling his nerves buzzing. He’s completely spent, satiated and all he wants to do is to sleep.

 

Ding dong

 

“Get the door…” Woohyun quickly says, knowing that it’s the delivery guy with their black bean noodles and bottled water.

 

Sunggyu groans and buries his face in Woohyun’s hip bones but gets up anyway after about a minute.

 

Ding dong ding dong

 

“Alright, alright!” Sunggyu scoffs as he tries to put on his pants with his jelly limbs.

 

Sunggyu is halfway out the bedroom door when Woohyun throws his forgotten wallet at him.


“Hurry up and bring me my water.”

 

Author's Notes: What is this boring chapter...