011

Just the Five of Us

011

 

Along with three other interns and a nurse, Sunggyu is in the middle of assisting one of the senior doctors in the operating room when Jinki bursts inside, looking disheveled as he tries to catch his breath. Sunggyu furrows his brows and wonders why is that he often sees Jinki in this state.

 

“Intern Lee, this is a delicate procedure, please take your leave,” the senior doctor calmly says as he carefully removes part of the patient’s skull.

 

“No, doctor, I apologize for the intrusion but Intern Kim is needed! Right this instance!” Jinki says.

 

“Who’s this person who can’t wait?”

 

“Dr. Byun Hyunmi, doctor!”

 

At the mention of her, the senior doctor has no choice but to dismiss Sunggyu reluctantly and when Sunggyu is finally out of the operating room, he is immediately being forcefully whisked away by Jinki.

 

“Whoa! Jinki, what the heck?!” Sunggyu yelps in surprise.

 

“It’s Woohyun!” Jinki pants, still dragging Sunggyu through the identical twists and turns of the hospital’s white hallways.

 

“His water broke and he’s now in labor!”

 

Sunggyu doesn’t get the chance to react at the news because the next thing he knows is that Mrs. Nam, Sungyeol, and Sungjong are all up in his face. They have arrived in the waiting area near the delivery room and the three of them are bombarding poor Sunggyu with words and sentences that his mushed brain couldn’t decipher at the moment. Seeing the state of his friend, Jinki steps in between them and pushes back the visitors to give Sunggyu some space to gather his bearings and process the news.

 

“Everybody, please let Sunggyu breathe!” Jinki says.

 

Finally, Sunggyu’s brain clicks and he looks at all of them, eyes opened as wide as they could, “WHAT IS HAPPENING?!”

 

Mrs. Nam clicks her tongue, Sungyeol looks at him incredulously and Sungjong looks as lost as Sunggyu.

 

“Sunggyu, get inside. They’re just waiting for you,” Jinki calmly says, holding onto Sunggyu’s shoulders in an attempt to get the message across.

 

“Waiting for me? F-For what?” Sunggyu stutters.

 

“So they could deliver the babies!” Sungyeol impatiently yells.

 

“Right now?” Sunggyu says, continuing to look like a lost lamb.

 

“Oh, for crying out loud!” Mrs. Nam bursts out, “Just get your inside!”

 

Jinki loses his patience too so he pulls Sunggyu with him inside the delivery room. When inside, they are greeted by Dr. Byun and several other people in scrubs and masks. Woohyun is already lying on the bed, his heart monitor steadily beeping in the background and an oxygen mask covering his nose and mouth but what confuses Sunggyu is the fact that Woohyun is not fully conscious. He’s awake, sure, but he looks groggy, as if in a daze. When babies are delivered through a c-section, most of the pregnant people are fully conscious during the procedure and only in some extreme cases would the person be sedated or be fully put to sleep.

 

“Good, you’re both in surgery attire already,” Dr. Byun interrupts Sunggyu’s train of thoughts as she gives him a once over. “Okay, the father has finally arrived. Shall we start?”

 

There is a chorus of yes’s and Dr. Byun turns to Jinki, “Is your video recording already?”

 

Sunggyu turns to his side just in time to see Jinki giving a thumbs up to Dr. Byun with one hand while the other is holding a small camcorder.

 

“Why was there a need to sedate him?” Sunggyu croaks out when he finally finds his voice.

 

Sunggyu moves closer and worriedly runs his fingers through Woohyun’s soft locks when he finally reaches him. Woohyun looks at him and a flicker of recognition flashes through his eyes as he gives Sunggyu a tired smile. Dr. Byun watches the gesture and shakes her head with a small smile.

 

“Right after we gave him the spinal block, Woohyun-shi started hyperventilating. He was panicking quite hard when he lost the feeling on his lower body. He tried to flail his legs around and let’s just say that it was a disaster since he wouldn’t calm down. That was also the reason why it took us so long to send someone to summon you. I guess him unexpectedly going on labor before his due date triggered this but he’s perfectly fine, don’t worry.”

 

Up close, Sunggyu could see the dried tear tracks on Woohyun’s plump cheeks. The sight tugs at his heartstrings and he feels so guilty that he couldn’t be there to calm Woohyun down. Sunggyu finds Woohyun’s hand and when he feels the younger squeeze lightly, he gives him a reassuring smile.

 

“Gyu-gyu,” Woohyun manages to mutter.

 

“Yes, my love, I’m here…”

 

“Your lover is quite a handful but he’s really adorable as well, Sunggyu-shi,” Dr. Byun chuckles. “Shall we start pulling your adorable triplets out?”

 

The first baby comes out ten minutes later. Dr. Byun happily lets Sunggyu pull the baby out from Woohyun’s open belly. Their one and only baby girl whose cry is so powerful that Mrs. Nam, Jinki, Sungyeol and Sungjong could probably hear her from the waiting area. Sunggyu takes a moment, observing the little human in his hands and trying to wrap his head around the fact that this beautiful little lady is something that he and Woohyun produced together out of their love.

 

“She’s perfect, Woohyun-ah,” Sunggyu whispers.

 

With the baby cradled in his arms, Sunggyu shows Woohyun their baby girl. Woohyun smiles so wide at the sight, tears welling up in his eyes as he observes the baby.

 

“She’s b-beautiful,” Woohyun whispers.

 

Oh, how Sunggyu wishes that Woohyun would be able to remember all of this despite his groggy state. Sure, Jinki is recording every second of the triplets’ first few moments in the world but it would still be more beautiful if Woohyun could remember it himself.

 

“Cut the umbilical cord and get her cleaned up, quickly!” Dr. Byun orders, snapping Sunggyu out of his trance.

 

Sunggyu proceeds to cut the umbilical cord and entrusts their little girl into the waiting arms of one of the nurses. When he turns back, Dr. Byun is already in action, pulling out the second one. However, when her hands re-emerge, Sunggyu is rendered speechless once again. The amniotic sac of this one still hasn’t popped, it’s completely intact and when Dr. Byun successfully gets it out, Sunggyu’s jaws drop down on the floor.

 

“T-Two? There are two of them inside? M-monozygotic?” Sunggyu sputters out, as he stares at Dr. Byun who is smiling knowingly at him.

 

“I thought that such a smart doctor-to-be like you would’ve noticed it in the sonograms already. But I guess you’re too caught up with your own field of specialty, Sunggyu-shi,” Dr. Byun says.

 

“I...I didn’t notice,” Sunggyu says.

 

“Woohyun-shi didn’t as well. But I guess this is a pleasant surprise for the both of you,” Dr. Byun says. “Now, please do the honors of bursting the sac. Delicately, of course.”

 

Dr. Byun hands him the scissor-like tool and Sunggyu does as he’s told. The sac immediately bursts out the moment he cuts through it, amniotic fluid gushing out and, just like that, their two identical baby boys are officially born. They both cry out as soon as their airways have been cleared out but in Sunggyu’s opinion, their little girl’s first cry had been louder.

 

“Babies 1, 2, and 3 are now out. You’re officially a father, Sunggyu-shi!” Dr. Byun cheers as she finishes stitching Woohyun up.

 

Indeed, he’s officially a father now and this is truly a point of no return. Sunggyu lets that thought sink in for a second before turning back to Woohyun who is starting to give in to the sleepiness brought on by the sedative.

 

Sunggyu fondly places a kiss on Woohyun’s forehead and whispers these heartfelt words, “Today, you’ve given me the best gifts anyone could ever ask for. Thank you so much, Woohyun-ah. They’re magnificent. I love you so much…”

 

Woohyun soon falls into a peaceful slumber, so Sunggyu walks over to where the triplets are being cleaned and dressed. According to Dr. Byun, all the babies have complete sets of fingers and toes. Their vital signs are all perfectly normal. To sum it all up, all three of them are healthy and the delivery has been a huge success.

 

Baby Girl weighs exactly 5lbs.

 

Baby Boy #1 weighs 5.6lbs

 

Baby Boy#2 is the lightest, weighing only 4.5lbs.

 

“Congratulations, Sunggyu! I’m so happy for you and Woohyun-shi! Look at these adorable little ones!” Jinki says, nudging Sunggyu as they look at the newborns.

 

Indeed, the triplets are adorable and even though he has a lot of apprehensions looming over his head, Sunggyu is also excited to raise a family with Woohyun. Both of them are very unprepared and they still have a lot to learn but as long as they’re together, Sunggyu knows that this would be the best adventure of their lives.

 

 
 

Two months later...

 

Kim Sungkyung (Baby #1), Kim Sungwoo (Baby #2) and Kim Sunghyun (the lightest, Baby #3) are finally allowed to be taken home after five days of staying in the hospital. Despite being born a month earlier than the due date, they are in great condition and their parents couldn’t be more ecstatic about it. Woohyun’s surgery wound on his belly healed up really nicely and in two weeks, he could already stand and carry on with his usual chores around the house. However, the ever worried Sunggyu decides that he is still not allowed to clean the whole house since the wound is still healing on the inside. Together with Mrs. Nam, who is a constant presence now in their apartment, Sunggyu insists on spoiling Woohyun until he recovers ‘fully’. Even though it’s practically been two months now, Sunggyu’s worry for Woohyun is still not disappearing. Woohyun enjoys the caring side of his boyfriend most of the time but other times, it’s borderline smothering.  

 

On the other hand, the triplets’ individual personalities are starting to manifest as early as now. The boys, Sungwoo and Sunghyun are technically the same age since they came out together with their amniotic sac still completely intact. They might also look identical but Woohyun could see that Sunghyun seems to possess the traits of an elder brother.

 

Sungwoo’s mood easily gets ruffled especially when someone disturbs him when he’s sleeping or feeding--a trait that he obviously inherited from none other than Sunggyu. Whereas Sunghyun is as cool as a cucumber. Woohyun sometimes worries that there is something wrong with him because he cries so little for a two-month-old baby. Sunghyun sleeps through the entire night despite his brother’s and sister’s crying. If Sungkyung and Sungwoo would rudely wake them up at dawn with their wailing, demanding to be fed, Sunghyun wouldn’t even make a sound. But he still needs to be fed so Woohyun would just calmly place the bottle at Sunghyun’s mouth and he would silently on it while sleeping until he finishes the milk. He’s a tranquil little angel that Woohyun is really thankful for.

 

Their oldest, Sungkyung, seems like she knows that she is the favorite of Sunggyu and she sure knows how to enjoy this. She’s perfectly behaved when Sunggyu is at the university or the hospital. Sungkyung is Woohyun’s sweet little darling during the daytime but the moment she hears Sunggyu’s voice announcing that he’s home, she would immediately demand his attention by being grumpy or by crying until she gets to finally be in his arms.

 

Sunggyu finds this lethally adorable and would always say, “Look, she knows who she’s named after! She adores me so much.”

 

Woohyun would roll his eyes and argue, “All of them are named after you but Sungkyung is the one who’s named after you only. Of course, she would be your little minion.”

 

And Woohyun’s statement has some truth to it. Actually, when they were coming up with names for their babies, Sunggyu really pushed that Sungkyung would solely be named after him. That’s how much Sunggyu adores their little girl. Woohyun sarcastically remarked he should’ve just named her Sunggyu the second instead. You might think that Sunggyu doesn’t love his identical boys as much as he loves Sungkyung.

 

That’s not the case at all.

 

“I love them all the same, Woohyun-ah,” Sunggyu chuckles.

 

They’re currently in the bedroom with only a night light illuminating the room. It’s late and they should probably join the triplets in dreamland now but nowadays, Sunggyu and Woohyun only get the chance to talk like before during the late hours. Sungwoo and Sunghyun are sleeping on Woohyun’s chest while Sungkyung is on Sunggyu’s. Woohyun just playfully teased Sunggyu about his favoritism and special treatment for Sungkyung.

 

“Oh, please, Gyu-gyu. Everybody could see that you’re particularly very fond of Kyungie,” Woohyun teases more.

 

“Alright, I’ll admit that Sungkyung has a very special spot in her daddy’s heart,” Sunggyu says, smiling down at Sungkyung’s sleeping face.

 

“Daddy, you’re so unfair!” Woohyun says as he smirks at Sunggyu.

 

“Believe me, I love them all! It’s just...there’s something about having a daughter, you know? There’s something about having a daughter that makes me want to be a better man,” Sunggyu says.

 

“Uh-huh?” Woohyun hums, getting serious now as he looks at the faraway look in his boyfriend’s eyes.

 

“She’s just so precious and delicate and I get this feeling that I just want to make the world a better place for her and protect her,” Sunggyu continues.

 

Woohyun has the urge to kiss Sunggyu because the older is showing how much he has grown by just becoming a father to Sungkyung. But he holds his urge and lets Sunggyu continue his little speech.

 

“Don’t get me wrong, I also want to be a better person for the boys. If anything, I want to set a good example to them...but I guess daughters will always have a special place in their daddy’s hearts. It’s hard to explain, Woohyun-ah. I don’t really know how to put it into words.”

 

Carefully leaning closer to not wake the boys, Woohyun gives Sunggyu a kiss on the lips and whispers, “Don’t worry, I get it. I totally get it.”

 

 

Because of Sunggyu’s and Woohyun’s busy schedules before the twins were born, they didn’t have the time to actually shop for most of the major baby items like the cribs and the strollers. Even now that they’re already born, Woohyun’s hands are too full in taking care of the triplets and Sunggyu is too busy going back and forth to internship and his extra work with the research team.

 

“Where do they ing sleep if the cribs are yet to be bought?!” Sungyeol exclaims.

 

The tall man is visiting while Mrs. Nam is out of town to relax and unwind. When Sungyeol looked into the supposed baby room and found it in the same state as two months ago, he freaked out and started asking Woohyun a lot of questions.

 

“On our bed, of course,” Woohyun answers and he wants to laugh at the face that Sungyeol makes.

 

He’s sure that Sungyeol almost had aneurysm at that new piece of information.

 

“Are you serious, hyung?!” Sungyeol exclaims. “You could squish them in your sleep!”

 

Sungwoo jumps a little in Woohyun’s arms because of the loudness of Sungyeol’s voice. He starts whimpering and Woohyun glares at his tall friend because it took him an hour to put this little one into sleep thank you very much.

 

“Sorry,” Sungyeol apologizes. “But we need to get them cribs or cots right now, at least.”

 

“Yeollie, the baby room isn’t even ready yet,” Woohyun says as he soothes Sungwoo back to sleep.

 

“I’ll call Sungjongie. He can take care of that. You can just put the cots in your room in the mean time.”

 

The front door suddenly opens and Sunggyu walks in, looking tired and weary but he’s smiling.

 

“I’m home,” he calls out.

 

“Welcome home, daddy. You’re early,” Woohyun says, giving Sunggyu a smile as he kisses him and missing the way Sungyeol scrunches his face in disgust at the pet name. He thought that Gyu-gyu is already bad but this is kinda worse.

 

“They let me off early,” Sunggyu shrugs as he sits down next to Woohyun and Sungyeol on the couch.

 

“Hello, Gyu hyung! Welcome home! You’re just in time since Woohyun hyung and I are thinking of going out to buy cribs for the babies!” Sungyeol interjects.

 

Sunggyu raises his brows and looks at Woohyun questioningly. Sungyeol nudges Woohyun and raises his brows to communicate what he wants.

 

“Y-Yeah, Yeol is worried that we would squish them on our bed and I agree. Besides, we can’t let them sleep in our room forever,” Woohyun says.

 

“Yeah, so here, take care of little Sungwoo and Woohyun’s just going to get ready!”

 

Sungwoo is gently ed into Sunggyu’s arms before Sungyeol pulls Woohyun in the bedroom. Sunggyu stares at the baby in his arms and smiles, all his weariness from the day’s work dissipating because of his son’s precious features. He starts whispering sweet nothings to the baby and doesn’t even notice when Sungyeol and Woohyun comes out of the bedroom. Woohyun, hastily dressed to go out, is looking at Sunggyu with a guilty look on his face since this is the first time he’s leaving the triplets with him.

 

“We’re going now, Gyu hyung!” Sungyeol declares, averting Sunggyu’s attention from Sungwoo.

 

“Wait, where are Sungkyung and Sunghyun?” Sunggyu asks.

 

“They’re in the room. I think all their nappies need to be changed, Gyu-gyu. Can you do that for me?” Woohyun replies.

 

Even though he’s uncertain whether he could do it, Sunggyu beams at him reassuringly and nods.

 

“We’ll be back in less than two hours, okay? If you’re lucky they might still be asleep by the time we come back,” Woohyun says.

 

“Okay, take care. Buy a pretty cot for Sungkyungie,” Sunggyu says.

 

With that, the two of them are out. As soon as the door softly clicks shut, one of the triplets in their bedroom begins wailing.

 

“This is going to be a long less than two hours…” Sunggyu whimpers.

 

Author’s Notes: TOO MANY ‘SUNG’ IN THIS CHAPTER!!! Sungkyungie is Sunggyu’s little princess haha! Since you guys want to see it, I will continue writing WooGyu’s experience of raising the triplets! But I’m warning you now that it might a bit cause I also don’t know how to take care of babies lol anyway, thank you for the support!! I was so pleasantly surprised when I saw that this already reached 180 something subscribers! Thank you so much for the upvotes and comments as well~ I’ll stop blabbering now! See you in the next chapter!