001

Just the Five of Us
001
 

There’s a brief pause after Dr. Choi relays the result of Woohyun’s blood and urine tests. With his frog-like eyes shining with glee, Dr. Choi congratulates Woohyun. Sungyeol, who went with him for moral support, gives him a wary glance.

 

“P-positive?” Woohyun stutters out, still reeling from the shock of the result.

 

“Indeed, Woohyun-shi! You’re pregnant and if you don’t mind, I would want to take a look at the baby to see how far along you are,” Dr. Choi says, smiling widely at him.

 

“Okay…” Woohyun mumbles.

 

“Great, let me just prepare the sonogram machine.”

 

Sungyeol follows Dr. Choi with his eyes and when the latter is out of earshot, he nudges Woohyun.

 

“Are you okay?” Sungyeol asks.

 

Woohyun blinks at him before furrowing his brows.

 

“Yes, why won’t I be okay?” Woohyun replies.

 

“You don’t look so thrilled about the news,” Sungyeol points out.

 

Upon hearing that, Woohyun pouts and frantically shakes his head in disagreement.

 

“What? No! I’m happy! A baby is always a blessing, Sungyeol. Of course, I’m thrilled and I’m happy about this!” Woohyun says. “I’m just a little worried since he or she came so unexpectedly…”

 

“Uh-huh, I understand. You just opened your restaurant last month and Sunggyu hyung just got an internship,” Sungyeol nods in understanding.

 

“Exactly. We barely even see each other these days, I don’t know how we’re going to have this little one,” Woohyun says.

 

Sungyeol nods and puts a hand on Woohyun’s shoulder because he knows how hard it is when a baby comes at the wrong time. He doesn’t know how to comfort his hyung but thankfully, Woohyun is a ball of sunshine.

 

“But whatever, I’m sure Gyu and I are going to make things work. We found a way to create this, I’m sure we can also find a way to raise it!” Woohyun says, cheesily smiling as his eyes turn into adorable crescents.

 

“Okay, too much information! I get your point, hyung!” Sungyeol groans.

 

Dr. Choi calls Woohyun, saying that the sonogram is ready. After doing the drill of pulling his shirt up and squirting cold gel on his stomach, the transducer is already roaming on the still flat abdomen in search of the baby. Woohyun is squinting at the black and white screen and as soon as an image is projected, Dr. Choi gasps.

 

“Oh my…” Dr. Choi says under his breath.

 

“What? What?!” Woohyun exclaims.

 

“This is…” Dr. Choi gasps and Sungyeol is getting worried for Woohyun who is fruitlessly trying to decipher the image on the screen.

 

“Is it not a baby but a cancer tumor?!” Woohyun yells in a voice so loud that Dr. Choi is awakened from his trance.

 

Dr. Choi looks at Woohyun and says, “It’s not a baby…”

 

“What? Am I dying?!” Woohyun cries out.

 

“It’s not just a baby,” Dr. Choi says, continuing to tease.

 

“Is it a tapeworm?!” Woohyun gasps.

 

“Spill it, Choi Minho!” Sungyeol exasperatedly says.

 

“You are having not just one baby, Woohyun-shi!”

 

“Twins?!” Sungyeol asks in excitement.

 

“No, Woohyun-shi is having triplets!” Dr. Choi finally reveals.

 

“Oh my God! Triplets?! This is surreal! I’m so excited to see them!” Sungyeol says, voice getting louder with his excitement.

 

“Yes, yes, this is a miracle! This is the first time in my career that I’m going to be taking care of fetus triplets and I’m so excited for this journey,” Dr. Choi agrees.

 

Sungyeol and Dr. Choi continues to express their glee and excitement about the triplets while the soon-to-be daddy of the said triplets is trying so hard to keep his head from exploding because of the news.

 

“The triplets look healthy and you are in your ninth week! They are developing just fine but I advise you to start being on a strict healthy diet so you won’t have problems…”

 

Woohyun can hear the voice of Dr. Choi but the words aren’t making much sense because his brain is somewhere else.

 

“Exercise is encouraged but nothing too intense. Remember, being pregnant with triplets makes you responsible for three more lives other than your own…”

 

Triplets. Indeed it’s a huge miracle to have three little angels growing in him and he’s sure that he’s going to love them so much but there are just so many things that he’s worried about.

 

“Your cravings would be intense and you’ll gain a lot of weight. Don’t deprive yourself since you and the babies need all the nutrients you can get…”

 

How is Sunggyu going to react? Sunggyu loves him a lot and he also wants to be a father. Everything’s going to be fine, right?

 

“Woohyun-shi, here is baby number one,” Dr.Choi manages to make him pay attention with that, “this is baby number 2 and the smallest right here is baby number 3.”

 

His triplets look nothing like a baby yet. They are just white blobs with what look like mermaid tails on the screen but Woohyun could already feel his heart swelling with fondness. Those tiny blobs are growing in him.

 

“These little ones are living off of you now, Woohyun hyung,” Sungyeol interjects. “They’re relying on you so don’t be stubborn and follow everything Dr. Choi tells you!”

 

Woohyun chuckles and nods at his friend before turning his attention back on the screen. His triplets are going to be the cutest babies in the world (even cuter than Sungyeol and Myungsoo’s twins). Woohyun can’t wait to hold them in his arms but first, the following months are going to be one hell of a ride for Sunggyu and him.

 

 

“I’m so hungry…”

 

Woohyun snorts when he hears his boyfriend saying that all of a sudden. They are talking on the phone and Sunggyu, who just came home from his shift as an intern at the hospital, had been telling him all about his day. Woohyun is dying to tell Sunggyu about the triplets but he doesn’t think it’s appropriate to tell him over the phone.

 

“Then go eat something! You’ve had a long day at the hospital, after all,” Woohyun says.

 

“But I have no more ramen to cook and I’m out of chips as well,” Sunggyu whines.

 

“Hey, what did I tell you about eating junk?” Woohyun reprimands.

 

There is a groan on the other side of the line and Woohyun could see Sunggyu’s grumpy face in his mind. God, he misses Sunggyu so much.

 

“I don’t have the luxury of time to make fancy healthy meals for myself everyday, okay?” Sunggyu says.

 

Woohyun hears cupboards opening and slamming close as Sunggyu hunts for food until, “Oh! I still have one pack of ramen!”

 

He shakes his head and says, “If you would just let me move in with you, I would cook for you every single day. You’ll even have a lunchbox to take to the hospital.”

 

“And let you live with me in this shabby place? I don’t think so,” Sunggyu deadpans.

 

“You know I don’t care about the appearance or the quality of your place, baby. I just want us to live together so we can see each other more often especially now that we’re both so busy…” Woohyun pouts.

 

“Not yet, Woohyun-ah. Just a few more years, okay?” Sunggyu says.

 

“That’s what you said before about getting married. You’re done with med school and I still don’t have a ring on my finger! I’m not believing you anymore, you poopface.”

 

“We’ll move in when I’m done with my residency, okay? Then we’ll get married soon after.”

 

“I don’t even know what that is and how long that’s going to take! That could be ten years from now for all I know! I just want to be with you, Gyu!” Woohyun yells in frustration.

 

“Baby, it’s not going to be that long. I want to be with you too. I miss you so much right now but just...please? You know how much this dream means to me, right? Your restaurant means just as much to you, right?” Sunggyu says.

 

Woohyun scowls because Sunggyu is right.

 

“Whatever,” he bites out.

 

“I love you,” Sunggyu offers.

 

It takes Woohyun several moments before he finally says, “I love you too.”

 

They fall into a comfortable silence before Woohyun speaks again.

 

“Do you have a free day this week?” he says.

 

“I’m free on Saturday. Do you want to come over then?” Sunggyu says.

 

Saturday is four days away from today and Woohyun hates it since he wants to share the huge news with his boyfriend already. But at the same time, it gives him more time to think about how he’s going to drop the bomb, so he guesses that it’s fine.

 

“Okay,” Woohyun accepts.

 

“Can’t wait,” Sunggyu adds.

 

 

"Me too. It feels like a million years from now."


Author's Notes: Don't worry, the update won't be a million years from now ;)