Search

The Reincarnation of Lee Donghae

 

(Listen to Tonight by Big Bang : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h88Zf-r3-eE)

While Top left for the States to prepare his last shift to the Korean movie industry, Aiden decided to take up the time of two weeks he had to form the foundation of his plan – find Yoona.

Aiden sighed and put down the cardboard box full of props and clothes. A few days back he had asked Hyuk-Jae to look for a warehouse where the auditions could take place. With Aiden personally involved in the selection, a long line of girls had been waiting since morning for their call. It was already two in the afternoon and the audition was soon to begin.

“Let’s hope this works out,” murmured Hyuk-Jae. Aiden grinned from ear-to-ear as he saw his friend shout around at the stylists and spot-boys. His smile widened when he saw his mother prepping herself in front of a vanity mirror.

“Mother…” he sang and was greeted with a wave of her hand.

“You know Donghae,” she said, ignoring her son’s requests of calling him by his new name. “If I were twenty years younger, I would have easily fit into Yoona’s shoes.”

“That’s a little disgusting,” muttered Hyuk-Jae and Aiden laughed for the first time in a long time, as he saw his old mother energetically run after his best friend. He shook his head and looked at his watch.

“Fighting,” he whispered to himself and clapped to get everyone’s attention. “Okay guys! We’re gonna start off with the first round! Bring them in!”

The audition was more nerve-wrecking for the judges. After one hour of having girls walk in for nothing but a picture with Aiden, Hyuk-Jae furiously stomped out of the door and filtered the crowd. “Who all are here for the audition?” he was heard shouting.

“And for Aiden?” Cheers went up.

“Alriight!!” Aiden chuckled as he recognized Hyuk-Jae’s sarcasm. “All of you please shift here, there’s a surprise waiting for you.” After a thunder of footsteps, Hyuk-Jae walked back in with only about thirty girls.

“They’re here for the role,” he sighed and locked the door.

“What about the others?” asked Aiden’s mother. Hyuk-Jae smirked. “I dressed up Seon-Jae hyung as Aiden. He could actually contend to be your body double for life, you know?”

Aiden glanced at the girls. He motioned for his stylists and whispered, “Get them dressed. Now.” Forty-five minutes later, thirty girls dressed up in various attires reminiscent of Yoona’s screen avatars. However…

“The promise of a lover…” the girl with the bright orange bow lost herself for the fifth time. “What else?”

“THE PROMISE OF A LOVER IS EVERY WOMAN’S DREAM!!” shouted Aiden’s mother, slapping the script against her head. “DID NONE OF YOU WATCH THE CLASSIC ‘DREAM GIRL’???”

“Oh my,” muttered the chubby girl. “This script is corny.”

“And you’re boring,” murmured Aiden, his face scrunched up. “Get out.”

“SORRY! SORRY! SORRY! SORRY!” sang the hyper-active girl as she pranced around in her polka dot dress.

“NIGA NIGA NIGA KEOJJO (get lost)!” replied Hyuk-Jae as he joined her. It took the girl five minutes to realize what he meant.

Three hours later, Aiden and Hyuk-Jae were the only ones in the warehouse as the spot-boys and stylists packed up while Aiden’s mother prepared to leave for home with Seon-Jae.

“None of them,” growled Aiden. “Not even one of them!”

“Calm down Aiden,” said Hyuk-Jae, even though he himself was irritated by the ridiculous quality of acting that the girls showed. “We’ll find someone.”

“Hyuk-Jae we don’t have time!! We need to find the girl, train her and make Top believe that she’s Yoona!”

Auditions were held for the second and third time and each day ended with Aiden banging his head against the wall. He would go back to his old spoilt ways but the memories of his last life would recharge him. He couldn’t give up. Even though he knew it was impossible, it was imperative for him to find someone who could pass off as Yoona.

Watching countless videos, pictures and audio clips of Yoona reawakened Aiden’s fight for her, as he recognized that the only person who had the right of being her lover was Lee Donghae.

“We’re two different persons,” he once told Hyuk-Jae. “Its something I have to understand.”

Finally after the fifth audition, Aiden threw a tantrum.

“Forget it.” Aiden kicked the spotlights and banged his fist on the table. On Hyuk-Jae’s orders, everyone emptied the area within minutes.

“Aiden, you have got to calm down. You giving up is the last thing we want.”

Aiden shook his head, his lips trembling. “Ah … Was I so sensitive earlier?” By earlier, Hyuk-Jae knew he meant in his past life. In an attempt to lighten up the atmosphere,  he wryly smiled. “You vanished before I could see your worst. But yeah, it was difficult being honest around you.”

Aiden scoffed and realized that tears were slowly forming in his eyes. “This is just…”

“EXCUSE ME!”

Aiden narrowed his eyes and turned to look at Hyuk-Jae, who his lips and sighed. “Yes?”

Both turned around to see a girl’s figure hesitating at the entrance. The sunlight outside and the bright lamps inside clashed, shrouding the girl in darkness.

“I’ve come here for the audition!” The two friends looked at each other and Hyuk-Jae sat down on the table as Aiden let out his frustration.

“Its all over! We’ve packed up! Leave!”

“Pack-up?” The girl sounded like another fan and as words rattled out of , it turned out to be the truth. “But the security guard said the auditions are still going on! Look, can I at least see Aiden? Actually, to be honest, I came here all the way from Gwangju to see him. I’m a big fan of his, so please, if you could do tha---”

The girl was interrupted as she stumbled on some cardboard boxes.

“Oh lovely! She tripped!” Aiden threw his hands up in the air and moved forward. “Switch on the lights! Hey, listen—”

This time, Aiden stopped. As the girl lifted herself from the ground, her hair in a mess, Aiden’s heart skipped a thousand beats and he was transported to an unconditional moment of his life as Lee Donghae. The girl’s face, her eyes, the glow on her cheeks, her pursed lips….

It was Yoona.