Sparks

Wolves

Wonsik had known Sanghyuk long time. Their town wasn’t all that big after all. Wonsik had seen Sanghyuk all over the place; at football games and the local coffee shop for example. It was just that they didn’t hang out with the same group of people and thus weren’t friends. Wonsik had the sports kids and Sanghyuk had his nerdy friend Jaehwan, the weird kid Hongbin, and his older brother Taekwoon who everyone – even the adults – avoided like he had some kind of disease.

The four were the school’s weird kids and no one hung out with them. So who could really blame Wonsik for doing the same? He was still better then the kids who bullied them, that was for sure. He just stuck to avoiding them like his parents told him to because he was a good son.

And then Cha Hakyeon came to town and everything in Wonsik’s life just seemed to go to hell in seconds.

Hakyeon seemed normal and people liked him. He got a bunch of friends, including Wonsik, and had a bit of a fan club. He didn’t take part in teasing the Jung brother and their friends, but he did take part in avoiding them. No one thought anything off it, they just decided that Hakyeon was too pure to make fun of anyone, let alone the freaky kids.

Then came the day when Sanghyuk decided that enough was enough. Some of the bullies had pulled a prank that destroyed a necklace that belonged to Sanghyuk. Wonsik couldn’t understand why Sanghyuk had gotten so worked up over a piece of jewelry.

Sanghyuk confronted the bullies, Jaehwan and Hongbin rushing to try and pull him away before something happened. The bullies just laughed before ordering Sanghyuk to get out of their way. The youngest Jung didn’t, so they pushed him out of the way. Sanghyuk fell and he fell in such a way that he was left bleeding.

Wonsik could still remember the look on Hakyeon’s face when that happened. Hakyeon’s eyes darkened and he clenched his jaw. Wonsik almost wondered if Hakyeon was scared of blood, but that didn’t fit at all. Hakyeon had seemed fine a few weeks ago with they did a blood type test in biology. Wonsik wondered if maybe Hakyeon was worried about getting punished, but that wasn’t going to happen. The teachers never cared about the Jung boys and it wasn’t like the brothers had parents who’d complain. Their guardian, an uncle or something, wouldn’t throw a stink either. He just glared at people and walked away.

After that day, Hakyeon had withdrawn from the people who’d called friends. Everyone had been worried, but that worry faded into anger and resentment when Hakyeon brushed off that concern and continued to isolate himself. But while everyone else seemed to give up on Hakyeon, Wonsik was determined to help his friend deal with whatever was bugging him. Because Hakyeon had become his best friend and he wasn’t going to let him go through whatever was going on with him alone.

And that was what had led him to following Hakyeon into the park in the middle of the night.

He’d noticed Hakyeon heading in the direction of the park one night after his shift at the coffee shop ended. Since it was so late and Hakyeon didn’t have any reason to be out and about, naturally Wonsik was worried for his friend and followed him. All kinds of things ran through his mind before he finally decided that it had to be drugs bringing Hakyeon out.

Wonsik knew a couple kids who did drugs, even knew a kid who sold them. But he liked to stay clear of that stuff, couldn’t risk his parents finding out because they’d send him to live with his aunt on the other side of the country if they even smelled anything on him. So if Hakyeon had gotten into drugs……

“What?” Wonsik whispered when he noticed Taekwoon standing in the park, Jaehwan to his left and Hongbin and Sanghyuk sitting on a picnic table just behind them.

Was Hakyeon…..meeting up with them? It sure seemed like it when Hakyeon came to a stop in front of them.

“What’s up with the late night meeting?” Jaehwan asked, “I’ve got a test in the morning that I could be studying for.”

“You never study, Jaehwan,” Hongbin laughed, Sanghyuk joining him until Taekwoon sent them a sharp glare.

“We agreed that we wouldn’t interact,” Taekwoon growled, “I’ve allowed for you to stay here without comment, but now? I saw how you reacted to my brother’s blood, vampire.”

“Vampire?” Wonsik breathed.

“Well,” Hakyeon smiled slightly, “his blood smells especially wonderful.”

“You--.” Taekwoon made to move forewords, but Jaehwan was quick to catch his arm and Sanghyuk and Hongbin were by his side helping hold the oldest back just as quickly.

“I’m not going to drink from him,” Hakyeon scowled, “awakened wolf or not, I’ve made a rule not to drink from something that can kill me with a bite.”

“You’re a vampire,” Taekwoon growled, “your kind always lie.”

“I trust him,” Sanghyuk spoke up, “I don’t think he’s lying to us.”

“Sanghyuk,” Taekwoon smiled softly, “you’re always so trusting.”

“It’s what we love about you,” Hongbin smiled.

“Getting back on topic,” Jaehwan said, turning to Hakyeon, “why did you ask to meet us here?”

“I’ve gotten word of some trouble headed this way,” Hakyeon said, “a hunter.”

“One after you?” Taekwoon growled.

“One after anything supernatural,” Hakyeon replied, “my friends have told me that the hunter coming here…..he will not be content with just a vampire. He’s killed wolves before. He’s killed wolves even before they’ve awakened.”

“You talk like you know him,” Hongbin commented.

“I have,” Hakyeon nodded, “I almost died trying to escape. If it wasn’t for my sister making sure I got away, I would have.”

“So what do you propose?” Jaehwan asked, “If you’re calling us here instead of just running away, you must have something planned.”

“We’re a vampire,” Hakyeon smiled slightly, “two wolves, a warlock, an un-awakened wolf, and, if Wonsik is willing, a human.”

“What?” Taekwoon startled, looking around madly for Wonsik who was frozen in shock.

How did Hakyeon know he was there? What was Taekwoon going to do to him?

“Come on out, Wonsik,” Hakyeon called, “I promise, the wolves won’t hurt you.”

“How long did you know he was there?” Sanghyuk asked, helping Hongbin and Jaehwan hold Taekwoon back from ripping Wonsik apart.

“Since he started following me,” Hakyeon shrugged, pulling Wonsik to stand beside him once the human was close enough, “I figured, if things went south he’d be there to make sure people knew the weird kids killed me.”

“You--.” Taekwoon growled, struggling against the hold his friends had on him.

“Calm down,” Sanghyuk ordered, “Taekwoon, don’t do something you’ll regret.”

“Let’s just go home,” Jaehwan suggested, “talk this over with your uncle and Hongbin’s mom. Sounds good?”

“Wait,” Hakyeon frowned, “you’re leaving?”

“We’ll talk about this later,” Sanghyuk told him, “once we’re figured out what we’re going to do.”

“Fine,” Hakyeon nodded slightly, “but I would strongly recommend working with me. Neither of us will be able to take this guy down without the other.”

“We’ll consider it,” Jaehwan promised, “and while we talk it over, you should consider compelling your little human friend to forget all of this.”

“I’ll think it over,” Hakyeon promised, but Wonsik just knew that Hakyeon wasn’t going to think about it for a second. He was more than a little grateful about that. He had no idea just what ‘compelling’ meant exactly, but he figured it wouldn’t be good for him.

Taekwoon sent one last glare at Hakyeon before heading off. Jaehwan was quick to fall into line with the older teen, but Sanghyuk and Hongbin hung back for a second. Hongbin kept an eye on Sanghyuk, clearly only sticking back for his friend’s protection, while Sanghyuk looked Hakyeon and Wonsik over carefully.

When Sanghyuk finally locked eyes with Wonsik and looked at him, really looked at him, the human felt…….something. Some kind of spark went through him. Something in his brain just clicked. But Wonsik didn’t know what that something was, he couldn’t put what he was feeling into words. All he knew was that Sanghyuk’s eyes had widened slightly, so maybe that meant he’d felt the same thing Wonsik had.

Sadly, Taekwoon called for Sanghyuk and Hongbin was quick to drag Sanghyuk away before Wonsik could say anything.

“Well,” Hakyeon sighed, “I guess now we just have to play the waiting game. Hopefully, Taekwoon’s uncle will talk them into working with me. He’s a smart man, he’ll see that I’m right.”

“Hakyeon?” Wonsik asked, brain reminding him of everything he’d heard.

Hakyeon was a vampire! An honest to God creature of the night who drank blood. And Wonsik was now alone with him. At night!

But…..Wonsik had seen Hakyeon out in the daytime and he seemed fine. Did that mean he wasn’t a vampire? Or had he recently been turned? Or were all those ‘sunlight kills vampires’ stories fake?

“I’ll explain everything to you when we get to my house,” Hakyeon promised, “I won’t do anything besides tell you everything I know.”

“Alright,” Wonsik nodded, deciding that he trusted his best friend.

 

--

 

“So,” Wonsik frowned slightly as he went over everything he’d just been told, eyeing the cup of red liquid sitting in front of Hakyeon, “you’re a three hundred year old vampire?” he’d already screamed about everything and denied everything and just freaked out. Now it was time to react calmly and ask questions.

“Yes,” Hakyeon nodded.

“And you stopped here because of the Jung brothers catching your interest?”

“Yes.”

“And they caught your interest because Taekwoon is a werewolf and Sanghyuk is an un-awakened werewolf?”

“And because Jaehwan is a werewolf and Hongbin is a warlock,” Hakyeon added, “it’s not very often I cross paths with so many wolves in a small town like this. Most like to live alone, try to blend in with the humans. The only times you find groups is on the full moon. Large groups will gather together out in a big forest, far away from humans, and just…..let the wolf run free.”

“Alright,” Wonsik nodded, “but you said that wolves can kill a vampire with a single bite. Why would you stay in a place with three of them?”

“Because of the blood that flows in Taekwoon and Sanghyuk’s veins,” Hakyeon shrugged, “it’s not often I find someone with such…..delicious smelling blood.”

“W-what?” Wonsik cried, his mind quickly recalling when Sanghyuk had fallen and his wound bleed. That look on Hakyeon’s face…..

Recalling that look, something inside Wonsik twisted angrily. It almost…..it almost felt like something was clawing at his insides, trying to get free so it could rip Hakyeon apart.

Just like the feeling Wonsik had when he’d locked eyes with Sanghyuk in the park, he had no idea what to think of this weird feeling. But going by the look on Hakyeon’s face, he sure seemed to know what was going on.

“I said in the park,” Hakyeon said, telling Wonsik with his eyes that they would return to the topic of feelings Wonsik didn’t understand later, “that I will not drink from a wolf, even one who’d wolf is still sleeping.”

“Why?” Wonsik asked even though a part of him wanted to drop the subject. Hakyeon had said he wouldn’t drink from Sanghyuk, but……but Wonsik wanted to know why. That feeling inside of him might shut up if it had a good reason not to worry about Hakyeon hurting Sanghyuk.

“I don’t drink from what could kill me,” Hakyeon shrugged, “it’s just a personal preference really. I’ve met several vampires who had no problems drinking from wolves, awake or otherwise. I’m just not comfortable being that close to my mortal enemy. I’ll admit, it was a little hard to walk away from Sanghyuk that day, but……” Hakyeon trailed off, frowning down at his cup.

“But?” Wonsik prompted.

“I think it had less to do with Sanghyuk,” Hakyeon sighed sadly, “and more to do with the fact that…..I sort of……forgot what I was.”

“How could you forget something like that?” Wonsik furrowed his brow, trying to understand how something that was so much a part of Hakyeon could just be forgotten.

“I was playing human for a while,” Hakyeon replied with a helpless shrug, “longer than I’ve ever played human before. I guess I just got caught up in the part. Or maybe I just wished so much that I could be a normal human like you that I just…..tricked myself into believing I was one. That’s why I withdrew the way I did. Sanghyuk’s blood reminded me what I was, that I couldn’t get away from it, so I started pushing away anything that had helped me forget.”

“Oh,” Wonsik nodded, but he still didn’t understand.

“Now,” Hakyeon smirked, “let’s talk about what’s going on between you and Sanghyuk.”

“Nothing is going on between us,” Wonsik said, “we haven’t even talked to each other.”

“But you feel something in regards to him,” Hakyeon sighed, “correct?”

“I feel something, yeah,” Wonsik nodded, “but only since he looked at me in the park tonight. I don’t know what I’m feeling, but……it’s something.”

“You know,” Hakyeon told his human friend, “there’s a theory about wolves just knowing their perfect match. All it takes is one look and they and their perfect match both know on an unconscious level that they’re meant to be.”

“But I’m not a wolf,” Wonsik frowned, “and you said Sanghyuk’s wolf isn’t awake yet.”

“I did say it was just a theory,” Hakyeon shrugged, “and since his brother’s wolf is awake, since he’s best friends with a wolf and a warlock, it’s not crazy to think that Sanghyuk’s wolf might be a little more awake then it should be. Magic setting off more magic, you know?”

“I don’t,” Wonsik frowned, “and…how is it that Taekwoon’s wolf is awake but Sanghyuk’s isn’t? is this, like, a puberty thing? You hit a certain age and your wolf wakes up?”

“No,” Hakyeon frowned slightly, “Taekwoon and Jaehwan……they had to kill someone.”

“What!?” Wonsik recoiled in shock.

“From what I’ve heard,” Hakyeon explained, “Taekwoon accidentally killed his father. Asking around some of the bars, the man……he wasn’t a good man, despite what I’m sure the masses would like to tell people.”

“I don’t follow,” Wonsik tried to recall everything he’d heard about Mr. Jung and came up with ‘respected cop’ and nothing else.

“I mean the average person would like to pretend he wasn’t an abusive father,” Hakyeon shrugged, “they want to paint him as a good cop, a man who could do no wrong. So what if all the parents of all your classmates know they saw Taekwoon and Sanghyuk bruised and beaten more than once? As far as they’re concerned, they didn’t actually see their father do anything so it didn’t happen.”

“That’s horrible,” Wonsik whispered, eyes wide as he recalled several times when he was younger and Sanghyuk had shown up to class sporting long sleeved shirts and turtle necks, the bruising still peeking out from under the fabric.

And then the bruising stopped appearing and his parents were talking about how horrible it was that Officer Jung was dead. Taekwoon had been about eleven then, Sanghyuk two years younger, and suddenly everyone was to stay clear of the brothers.

“It is,” Hakyeon nodded, “but their father was just so respected, no one wanted to believe he could actually be a monster. Instead, they decided that his children were the monsters because they didn’t cry over their dead father. I’m sure more than one person around here will tell you that Taekwoon killed his good, honest, kind father in cold blood because he’s a psychopath.”

“I just…..I can’t--.” Wonsik couldn’t understand this. How could anyone demonize the Jung boys, but praise their father. Even his own parents?

“It worked out for the best,” Hakyeon tried to shrug it off, “their uncle carries the werewolf curse as well, although his hasn’t been awakened yet. He and Hongbin’s mother were able to help Taekwoon get used to his new existence. And from what I know, his uncle is a much better father then that man could have ever hoped to be.”

“What about Jaehwan?” Wonsik asked, noticing how Jaehwan didn’t seem to fit into this as easily.

“From what I know,” Hakyeon shrugged, “he’s a ward of the state that their uncle took in. I have no idea how he woke his wolf and I’m not about to ask. It would be rude.”

“Ok,” Wonsik took a deep breath, trying to wrap his head around everything, “I…….ok, wow.”

“It’s a lot to take in, I know,” Hakyeon said, “so feel free to just……take a day or two to wrap your head around it.”

“I’ll be fine,” Wonsik tried to smile, “I….just tell me….what do you want me to do with…..with this hunter.”

“I don’t want you to do anything with the hunter,” Hakyeon told him, “he’s far too dangerous. You’d only get hurt if you were there with us when we face him.”

“But Sanghyuk will be there,” Wonsik pointed out, that feeling in his gut almost crying out in fear and anger at the idea of Sanghyuk being near this hunter.

“I’m sure Taekwoon will be keeping him away, too,” Hakyeon assured his friend, “I can’t see someone like Taekwoon letting Sanghyuk near a dangerous hunter.” Hakyeon smiled sadly, “he killed his father and took on the werewolf curse in order to protect Sanghyuk.”

Wonsik frowned, a small part of his brain taking note that Hakyeon didn’t say ‘accidentally’ before ‘killed’.

“So,” Wonsik said after a moment, “what do we do now?”

“Wait.”

 

--

 

“Are you sure we’re going to be ok?” Wonsik asked, eyeing the cave he, Sanghyuk, and Hongbin were being left in.

“I’m sure,” Hakyeon assured him.

“No one is going to be coming near here,” Sanghyuk nodded in agreement, “the only people who use these caves are people who want to explore them. And it’s the wrong season for that sort of thing.”

“We’ll be alone,” Hongbin added, not looking up from his work, “exactly what we need.”

“And if anyone does come by,” Sanghyuk’s uncle told the three teens, opening up a bag he’d brought to reveal a bunch of guns and knives, “you can scare them away.”

“Awesome,” Sanghyuk grinned, rushing forewords and grabbing the biggest, most awesome gun in the bag.

“Hey,” his uncle snapped, grabbing the gun away, “don’t get all gun happy. This is only incase you need to protect yourselves.”

“I know,” Sanghyuk sighed.

“How’s the spell coming?” Hakyeon asked, moving as close as he dared to the chalk writing on the floor of the cave that Hongbin was making.

“I’m almost done,” Hongbin reported, “once I’m done, we’ll be linked to my mother’s spell.”

“I don’t understand,” Wonsik said, “why do we need to be linked?”

“Hongbin only has so much magic,” Sanghyuk explained, “and while he’s super powerful, he has limits. His mother even more so. Linking his spell to her’s will help power her spell.”

“Ok,” Wonsik nodded, “and what does her spell do?”

“It will imprison whoever steps inside of it,” Hakyeon took charge of explaining the plan, “the hope is that the hunter will step into it and while he’s locked inside, we can figure out a way to kill him.”

“This guys apparently got special ruins carved into him,” Hongbin added, “they apparently make him an even match for the vampires and werewolves he kills. Not to mention it’s hard for magic to work with him.”

“Which is why you need to lend your power to your mother,” Wonsik said, understanding what was happening. He’d missed out on the planning stages of this who adventure thanks to his parents needing him home. He almost wondered if they knew what was going on since they’d been working very hard lately to keep him busy and away from Hakyeon, but that was crazy. They just had a lot of things to do and nothing more.

“Yeah,” Hongbin nodded.

“We also suspect he had an item that will bring him back from the dead,” Sanghyuk’s uncle said.

“What?” Wonsik’s eye widened in surprise, “things like that exist?”

“Here,” Sanghyuk passed Wonsik a ring, “we all have one. Well, uncle and I do. They don’t work with warlocks and witches, they’re pointless on vampires, and with awakened werewolves……they aren’t supposed to work properly, so we don’t even try.”

Wonsik accepted the ring and quickly slipped it on.

As it turned out, he would really need it.

Nothing went according to plan. Not in the slightest.

The hunter made a beeline right for the three, ignoring the vampire, witch, human, and two wolves laying in wait for him around Hakyeon’s home. Hongbin detected him and rushed to alert the others while ordering Wonsik and Sanghyuk to take up arms. Wonsik grabbed for weapons madly, stuffing a couple of knives in his pockets before grabbing a gun.

Sanghyuk had grabbed a gun long before, the one he’d picked when his uncle dropped the bag in the first place, and was already ready to open fire on the hunter. Sadly, the hunter was too fast for the human and Sanghyuk only managed to put a couple bullets in a tree before he was slammed into the wall of the cave.

Hongbin was up in a second, starting to chant a spell that would defend them. But just like with Sanghyuk, the hunter moved faster and Hongbin was sent flying as well. The hunter glanced over at Wonsik, rolling his eyes before turning his attention to the chalk on the ground.

“Don’t move,” Wonsik said, trying to keep the fear from his voice.

“Stay out of this, human,” the hunter scoffed, “I have no problems killing you, but I do like to avoid taking human lives.”

“I’m not going to let you hurt them,” Wonsik said, glancing at Hongbin who was down for the count and Sanghyuk who was struggling to get up.

“I’m not going to hurt them,” the hunter laughed, “I’m going to kill them. It makes for a better world, you see. A few less monsters running around destroying lives.”

“We haven’t destroyed anything!” Sanghyuk growled, slowly getting to his feet, “you’re the only source of destruction around here.”

“Your wolf is still asleep,” the hunter smirked, “good, I always love taking out the pups.”

“Don’t touch him!” Wonsik yelled, the unnamed feelings he felt for Sanghyuk bubbling up and silencing his fear. Wonsik fired off a shot, catching the hunter in the shoulder.

“I would not have done that if I was you,” the hunter hissed, rushing to grab Wonsik by the throat, “you just signed your death warrant, boy.”

Wonsik heard Sanghyuk call his name, voice fill with fear and sadness, and then the hunter snapped his neck, killing him instantly.

What felt like seconds later, Wonsik woke to find the hunter kicking Sanghyuk in the ribs. Sanghyuk looked badly beaten already, one eye showing the first signs of swelling shut and his lip split open. And that was just what Wonsik could see. Sanghyuk’s long sleeve shirt and jeans hid a lot of skin and thus a lot of damage.

The idea of Sanghyuk being covered in bruises under those cloths sent Wonsik it to a rage. His mind was still hazy from being dead a few minutes prior, so he was more susceptible to that feeling in his gut that made him feel protective of Sanghyuk. That feeling told him to grab one of the knives from his pockets, so he did. It told him to stab to hunter with the knife, so he did.

The hunter let out a pained cry as the knife dug into his back, right between the shoulder blades. He hadn’t been expecting that, he’d thought Wonsik was dead and he could take some time killing the little brat with a sleeping wolf before finishing off the warlock. Wonsik used this to his advantage, throwing the hunter to the ground before grabbing another knife and smashing it into the hunter’s chest.

The hunter hacked up some blood as he tried to stand after throwing Wonsik off of him, but the damage was already done.

“Th-that blade,” the hunter wheezed, blindly grabbing for the knife in his chest, “it’s n-not normal.”

“It’s not,” Sanghyuk nodded, slowly getting to his feet, “it’s charmed. All of the knives and bullets are charmed. Did you think we’d be stupid enough to use normal weapons? Everything we brought could take down a pack of a hundred wolves.”

The hunter just coughed up more blood, unable to say anything else with all the blood filling his lungs.

Sanghyuk and Wonsik watched the hunter die silently, not saying anything even when Taekwoon, Jaehwan, and Hakyeon showed up. Taekwoon waved to shush the other two, respecting the silence Sanghyuk and Wonsik apparently wanted. Instead, he grabbed Hongbin, checked that he was still alive, and passed him to Jaehwan once he was certain that Hongbin was just knocked out.

“Who?” Taekwoon asked once the hunter had finally died.

Before Sanghyuk could say it was Wonsik who’d killed the hunter, Wonsik let out a cry of pain.

“What’s wrong?” Hakyeon asked, rushing to his friend’s side, “what happened?”

“He…..no,” Taekwoon frowned, “there’s no way.”

“There’s a chance,” Jaehwan told him, watching Wonsik carefully, “it’s not totally impossible.”

“What are you two talking about?” Hakyeon asked.

“He’s a wolf,” Taekwoon explained, “a wolf who just killed for the first time.”

“What?” Sanghyuk asked, just as shocked and confused as Hakyeon, “but….but how?”

“Uncle said he suspected Wonsik’s family were wolves,” Taekwoon explained, “he said that the way his parents looked at us…….it was different then everyone else. It was like they knew more about what was going on with our family then everyone else.”

“And now Wonsik’s experiencing pain after killing someone,” Jaehwan added, “I’m thinking he’s a wolf. In fact, I’m positive he’s a wolf.”

“We can make sure later,” Hakyeon sighed as Wonsik passed out from whatever pain he was feeling, “for now, we just need to get him to my place where he can sleep.”

“Yes,” Taekwoon nodded, waving for Sanghyuk to piggy back him since his brother looked to beaten to walk, “Jaehwan and I will take Hongbin and Sanghyuk to our place. You can come by later with Wonsik once he’s awake.”

 

--

 

Four days later found Wonsik packing up his things and leaving his parent’s house behind.

“You don’t have to leave, you know,” Sanghyuk said as he helped Wonsik put his things into the back of Taekwoon’s car, glancing towards the front window where Sanghyuk’s parents were trying to spy. He winced when he noticed how they glared at him like this was all his fault. Luckily Wonsik didn’t notice or he’d have become even more upset then he already was.

“I know,” Wonsik nodded, “my parents are begging for me to forgive them for lying and stay here. But……but I just can’t do that right now. They knew, Sanghyuk. This whole time they knew what you and Taekwoon are. What Jaehwan and Hongbin are. What I am. And they kept silent about it.”

“They wanted you to be safe,” Sanghyuk tried again, but Wonsik shut him down with a look.

“I know you’re just trying to help,” Wonsik sighed as he closed the trunk, “but please, don’t worry about it. I’ll be fine, I’ll forgive them in time. Right now I just need to be away from them.”

“Alright,” Sanghyuk sighed, “just….don’t take too long. Parents…..those aren’t forever.”

“I know,” Wonsik nodded, recalling what he’d heard about Sanghyuk and Taekwoon’s mother.

She’d carried the werewolf curse like them and taught her children to never fear the wolf that lay within them. Unfortunately, she’d died when Sanghyuk and Taekwoon were seven and nine. The brothers didn’t like talking about it, but their uncle mentioned something about their father putting wolfsbane into the families food. Wolfsbane was toxic to those whose wolf was awake, meaning that while Taekwoon and Sanghyuk hadn’t been affected their mother had.

The necklace that had started all of this, that had started Wonsik on the path that lead him to awakening his wolf, had belonged to Sanghyuk’s mother. After her death, not only had their father become abusive to the brothers but he’d removed most of their mother’s things. The necklace had been one of the few things Sanghyuk still had and that made Wonsik feel horrible for….for doing nothing over the years to help the boy.

“Let’s go,” Sanghyuk smiled, moving around to the driver’s seat, “before we’re late to dinner.”

“Right,” Wonsik laughed, following Sanghyuk’s example and getting into the passenger seat.

Taking one last glance at the house he’d once called home, Wonsik grabbed hold of Sanghyuk’s hand and relaxed into his seat.

Wonsik had known Sanghyuk for a very long time. His whole life, really. But it was only recently that he’d finally gotten to know the other. He was learning about Sanghyuk, he was getting to see why his wolf had fallen in love with Sanghyuk. Even though this new life of his was going to be challenging, it was worth it so long as he had Sanghyuk.

Wonsik smiled slightly, a gesture Sanghyuk returned when he noticed his boyfriend was looking at him, and realized that he felt perfectly at peace.

A/N: finally, it’s done! I had a lot of fun writing this. So much so that…..maybe I’ll write another part? No promises on when (or if) I’ll write more ‘cuz I might end up changing my mind or losing inspiration, but it’s defiantly something I’m interested in doing.