Shin Se Kyung... You Didn't Just Steal My Locker Neighbour

Your "Bling Bling" Has Blinded Me

I curl my lip upwards at their annoying words of affection. Jjongie and I have been friends for 7 years and he falls for another girl in a matter of seconds. I feel my phone vibrate. I look at a text from Amber and then another from Hyorin comes in.

 

New message from Amber >:D!~

 

Why? What’s wrong?

 

 

New message from Hyorin <3!

 

Ottoke? Oh, didn’t Jonghyun donsaeng have a crush on her?

 

 

Gosh Hyorin! Rub it in will you?

“Who you texting?” Jonghyun whispers in my ear using a sing along voice. Aren’t you still talking to Se Kyung? Then I look up and see her talking to our homeroom teacher who must have just stepped in. I ignore Jonghyun’s question and wait for class to start. I see Mr. Lee and Se Kyung nod about something and then she comes back in our direction to sit down. “She’s so cool” Jonghyun says completely dazed. I look at him and shake my head. He shrugs.

“Hello class. My name is Mr. Lee, I will be your homeroom teacher for the rest of the year. Principle Park has already gone over the rules. Even so, you must complete a rule quiz tomorrow. Read over the rules on the school website and be ready for a quiz tomorrow. Now, we will have some short introductions and get into your schedules, courses, responsibilities and lockers”.

 

The next two hours produce unstoppable yawns from me. Jonghyun and Se Kyung seem to be in a fairy tale. It’s like I was just a troll under the bridge.

“Okay class. Locker time!” Mr. Lee says getting out a bag of locks. The class cheers and one guy says, “Don’t put me next to stinky Chin Hyun this year!”. Everyone but myself laughs. I just look at my hands on my desk.

“Yah, Bella-boo, we might finally get a locker next to each other!” Jonghyun says nudging my shoulder. I just let out a moan. Mr. Lee starts calling people randomly and giving them locks to their lockers.

“Shin Se Kyung” he says and as she walks up to the front, Jjongie checks her out.

 

 

*CRACK* What the heck was that? Oh, right. Heartbreak. I can literally hear it! (This has actually happened to me before. I heard like a crack. I’m not kidding…) Se Kyung grabs her lock and makes her way to the hallway.

 

*Jonghyun’s Point of View*

I never thought I’d see Se Kyung again. It’s like fate? Oh Jjong-ie your so cheesy. Se Kyung looks so good in those tight black jeans. Bella-nah and I have wanted to be locker neighbours since 6th grade but if I got placed next to Se Kyung... it would be second best. *Sigh* I think I’m in love.

 

*Back to Your Point of View*

My name is called and I get up. I make my way to my assigned locker and notice that Se Kyung is standing in front of a locker at another section of lockers past Science lab B, Mr. No’s math class and Mrs. In’s literature class. She’s quite a ways away. Yes! I see her putting away hair brushes, mascara and some other feminine things. You going to start your own business? She hangs up a mirror on the inside of the locker door and then a picture of Jay Park beside it. She kisses it. Maybe she’ll keep her safe distance from Jjong. Then, Jjongie’s name is called. Omo! Is he….

My frenzy ends as quickly as it came. I hear my heartbreak by every step he takes away from my direction. He stops… right… beside Se Kyung’s locker.

“Omo! Oppa, You’re my locker neighbour?” Se Kyung asks.

“Ne. I guess so. Let’s have a good school year, ne?” Jonghyun says, starting to flirt. I open my locker and start to put necessary things inside.

Se Kyung lets out a loud flirty laugh. *CRACK CRACK* “Oh oppa. You seem like a nice guy”. I quickly grab everything out of my bag and put it in random places. I place my bag back over my shoulder and open my lock to put it on my locker. Kevin donsaeng! Kevin donsaeng!

“I’m always nice to beautiful girls” Jonghyun responds. *CRACK CRACK* I rush back into the classroom before my heart breaks completely.

 

*At Lunch*

I rush through the door not wanting to hear more of JongKyung’s conversations. I knew they were going to have a future. I already knew it. So I took a head start at making couple names for Jonghyun. I go to my locker and take out my lunch box.

 

hello-kitty-i-heart-candy-lunchbox.jpg

 

It never mattered to me if people thought I was childish. I close my locker door with my knee and lock it back up. I turn to my left to go find Amber and Hyorin, when I bump into Jonghyun. He was standing beside my locker.

“I guess we’re not locker neighbours” he says slumping in posture.

“No, I guess not. I see you got Se Kyung” I say trying my best not to choke up when saying her name.

“But I still want you as my neighbour. I have Kim Ryeo-wook on the other side of me. I never really liked him”

“Then ask Mr. Lee to switch him with someone else” I say bluntly.

“I’ll ask if he can move you” he says walking towards the classroom. I smile. Wait… Se Kyung will be on the other side of him. I can barely stand hearing their giggles down the hall. I rush over to Jonghyun and pull on the sleeve of his sweater.

“No, oppa. I like my locker. I’m not moving” I lie.

“What?” he asks angrily.

“I like my locker where it is” I state.

“You okay? You must not have gotten much sleep” he says touching my forehead.

“Jjongie oppa. Please don’t.” I reach out and pull him back by his sweater. “I don’t want to move my stuff again”. Not that that isn’t true but if Se Kyung weren’t there, I would have moved anyways.

“Bella-yee. I know you extremely well. You don’t protest to these kinds of things. What’s wrong with you?”

“I don’t want to move lockers”

“That’s not the real reason!”

“Why can’t you leave it alone?”

“Because I want to be locker neighbours. We dreamed about this since grade school. How could you not want me to ask?”

“Oppa, don’t ask. End of discussion”

“But why?”

“End of discussion”

“What’s wrong with you?”

“Nothing. Everything is the same. Nothing changed. Don’t worry about it” I say.

“Bella-sshi! There you are! You’re all the way on the third floor!” Amber says approaching us. I slowly turn and am wrapped into an embrace by her and Hyorin.

“Can we go to ‘Mr. Rocky?” I ask.

“Sure” they both say in unison. Mr. Rocky is basically an area of the school surrounded by big rocks. The three of us always go there when we have something important to talk about. Donghae comes along too because he’s my second best guy friend. Jonghyun doesn’t come here because we have our own special place. The tree inside the park by his house.

 

 

Mr. Rocky

Photo%20944a.jpg

^ (Mind the unknown humans)

 

 

The Bella and Jonghyun tree

Best%20orchard-fruit%20trees%20by%20Jack

^ (Minus the horses ^^)

 

I push past them and start running to the stairs, knowing Jjong would still want to talk about the situation.

“Bella-nah!! Get back here !” he yells running after me. I skid through people with my lunch box banging against things.

“Sorry. Sorry. Sorry. Sorry” I repeat as I disturb the people around me. My sandwich and rice have probably turned into mush. Babo Jonghyun.

“Yah, Bella-nah!!” I hear him yell at the top of his lungs from the top the staircase. Oh crap! I jump down the steps until I get to the main floor and I try to slower my pace as to not get stopped and scolded by a teacher. I make it to the front door without getting caught. I bolt down the left side of school into the back where Mr. Rocky is. I start panting halfway and look behind me to see if Jonghyun is on my trail. Then my phone vibrates in my pocket, suddenly making me scream. I’m scared to see what the text message says for some reason but I do anyways.

 

New message from The Dino xoxo!

 

Yah, Bella-shi… don’t think you got away from this conversation. You’re in for it later.

 

 

I let out a sigh of relief. At least I have some time alone. I run over to Mr. Rocky even though I have no one chasing me anymore. The sooner I can talk to the girls about this, the better I’ll feel. I make it over to Mr. Rocky and see Amber and Hyorin coming from the other direction. I wave at them and they rush over to me.

“What was that big scene with Jonghyun about?” Hyorin asks right as she comes to stand in front of me.

“Yeah, he looked really mad”

“And he swore at you. He never does that” Hyorin adds. They’re right. Did I actually hurt him more than I intended? I walk over to one of the rocks and set myself on it.

“It’s about Se Kyung…” I say and through every syllable of her name my heart cracks into more pieces.

“Why?” they both ask. Amber comes to kneel in front of me.

“Hyorin-ah, I think it’s something serious” Amber says caressing my hair. Hyorin sits beside me and brings her hand down my back.

“She’s back. And he likes her.” I say looking at a small rock laying on the larger rock Hyorin and I are sitting on.

“And…” Amber says urging me on to continue.

“They’ll be dating by the beginning of next week” I say bluntly. They both sigh. I know this for a fact. Jonghyun can get any girl he wants. Based on how the other girl responds to his efforts and how much I can tell he likes her, I am able to pin point the expected date for their couple lives to begin. This relationship with Se Kyung seems to have a soon expectance day.

“That stupid dino. He knows you the longest aside from Key, yet he can’t get it through his thick skull that you like him. Who does he think he is? Why are boys so stupid” Hyorin says whilst throwing her hands in the air.

“Jonghyun just has difficulty realizing who really loves him. Babe, it’s okay” Amber says taking me into her arms as I start to cry. I grasp onto her shirt and cry my eyes out.

"Why is Kevin's body so evil??!" I sob.

 

When I feel a little at ease, I pull away from her and put my hair behind my ears.

“She’s his locker neighbour this year. Jjongie asked me to switch with Ryeo-wook but I told him no. how could I be on the other side of JongKyung? Yeah, I came up with their couple name”

“Ahh! Bella-ni, why do you do that to your heart??! Who comes up with couple names for their crushes crush? That’s just messed up! You…” Hyorin says and sighs heavily.

“She can’t tell him now. She should wait and see how it plays out” Amber says.

“What, so she can stare and pretend to support them together? Any girl would break after that. And you, Amber! You still haven’t told Key. When were you expecting to do that? Once he realizes his romantic interest in Jonghyun??!” Hyorin says.

“Yah, Hyorin-nah. Calm down” I sniffle. I start tearing up again. Her words replay now. How long was I going to be able to hold my feelings in?

“He’s just… he’d never look at me the same. Everyone always thinks I’m a guy. No one dates me because they feel gay” Amber says looking down at the ground.

“You’re beautiful” I say.

“There’s an idea!” Hyorin suddenly says.

“What?” Amber and I ask at the same time. Both confused.

“You two could date. If they really like you, that will urk them to the max!”

“Amber and I date?!? Hyorin! What are you trying to do?” I ask bewildered.

“It’s actually not a bad idea” Amber says.

“Yah, what are you two girls trying to do to me?! I’m not turning bi!”

“You don’t have to. Just pretend to be” Hyorin says.

“But someone would tell my parents. Jjongie is horrible at keeping stuff to himself!”

“It could mean you getting Jjongie to confess to you… and maybe something could happen with me and Key…” Amber says wishfully.

“Why don’t you to do it?” I direct my question to Hyorin, not liking the idea at all.

“Because it just works better with the two of you”

“Well I’m not doing it. I’m sorry. Amber I can find you someone. A guy but I will not date you. I just can’t…”

Amber looks down and then says, “You find me someone, and it will be just as good as having Key as my boyfriend. Just a dream.”

“Yah, you have to have confidence! Key has never been one to show emotion! He could like you” I say slapping her torso.

“Babo…” Amber mumbles. I don’t hit her back. Maybe I should take my own advice. Have confidence…

 

 

*Later that day*

 

I went to my locker after lunch and they had put my schedule in my locker like the teachers always do every year. Jonghyun still wasn’t upstairs when I got there. Good thing. He must want to kill me.

I look like crap because I was crying. I still have to go to the bathroom and make myself look decent again. My makeup has come off in some places and smudged in other areas. I go to the bathroom and find an empty mirror in the white large room. Many girls were freshening up and it smelled like a flower garden from all the perfume they have sprayed. I re-do my makeup and then walk back into the hallway. I quickly rush to my locker, not looking around, and open it. I grab a mirror I had quickly put in earlier and properly put it in its place on the inside of my locker door. A sad feeling comes over me when I remember why I had just shoved all my stuff in my locker and didn’t arrange it properly. I look into the mirror and smile. Jonghyun won’t be able to resist my smile when I apologize. I close my locker back up and look ahead of me. I feel my feet glue to the floor when I see the shocking, heart shattering sight before me. Jonghyun has Se Kyung (God that name annoys me) in a tight embrace in front of their lockers. I quickly stiffen up not wanting to cry again, but my heart doesn’t get the message. *CRACK* How many times will it crack until fully breaking? I see Se Kyung walk past me after Jjongie removes himself from her. I notice all the actions. She waited until he broke away, she rushed past me blushing, Jjongie jumped before turning back to his locker, when he opened his locker and saw his schedule he immediately formed a frown. My thoughts? They both like each other. Jonghyun still thinks of me which is a good thing but he doesn’t think of me in any way besides a best friend or sister. He turns around in frustration remembering he’s mad at me and what I had said to him earlier. I want to go over and apologize for earlier before he gets any more mad, but I can’t get myself to move at all. He finally notices me and comes over to stand in front of me. He stares at me angrily but I still don’t move. I gather air and say with a crack in my voice, “I’m sorry” before walking away.

 

*After school*

 

I walk the first 15 minutes home with Jonghyun.

“What’s wrong with you today?” he asks, cocking an eyebrow while looking my way.

“Just senior year jitters” I lie.

“It’s all going to be fine. You have nothing to worry about. Hey, if you don’t want to switch lockers… I guess, I can live without you” he says. For some reason, I take that as a literal sense and find myself running the rest of the way home with my face drenched in my tears. 

 

When I get home, I slip off my shoes and run up the stairs to my room. I swing open the door and plop down on the bed without removing my side bag from my shoulder. I cry into my pillow without even knowing the reason why. I hear footsteps approach the side of my bed.

"Noona" the person groans.

"Kevin!" my words muffle in my pillow.