Kim Yongsun (pt II)

class of 2017

»»---¤---««

Stepping into the entrance of the school felt like stepping into a stampede. Left to right came a swarm of new faces each wearing the same expression that both Hyejin and Yongsun wore on their very first day of high school: Excitement (plus a little fear - obviously).  Yongsun had to admit that looking at them made her feel somewhat nostalgic, she yearned to be able to experience high school all over again because this time she'd know what to expect. And maybe . . . just maybe she would do much better on her math ex- nah, never mind. No amount of time traveling could ever save her grades. She was doomed. Upon this terrible realisation, Yongsun's expression turned sullen.

 

"Stop looking like you're going to burst into tears. You don't want the newbies to think that you're one of them." Hyejin whispered. 

 

"Look at them," Yongsun sighed wistfully, "They're so full of hope and happiness. They don't know what lies ahead."

 

"You're being overly dramatic again." Hyejin said probably accompanied with an eye roll, judging by her tone of voice. "Besides, you have the whole year to move up your grades."

 

"You say that like it's an easy thing to do."

 

"Because it is."

 

Yongsun stayed quiet for a moment calculating how on Earth she could manage to pull her D up to a C at least. She gasped, "I'd have to get full marks on one paper!" Dragging her hands down her face with a groan, she contemplated walking back home and pretending that summer wasn't over. "If I could go back in time I would slap myself so hard for not studying." 

 

"No need to go back in time," Hyejin grinned before slapping her hard on the arm, "There. Now can you please smile? It's our last year together. We have to enjoy it."

 

Yongsun pouted whilst rubbing her arm but nevertheless smiled brightly, "So law school huh?"

 

Hyejin stared at her blankly before replying, "I swear, I can never get use to you changing the subject so abruptly - but yes law school. I actually went and visited one in London during the summer. I heard it's one of the top ones."

 

"You know, there was a girl 2 or 3 years older than us who got in to that university. She dropped out after a semester though." 

 

"Who?"

 

Yongsun shrugged, "I can't remember her name but I heard she's back in Seoul and running a successful bar/restaurant."

 

"Good for her, maybe I should track her down and ask her for advice."

 

Before Yongsun could speak, she was roughly shoved aside causing her to hit a frightened freshman. Just when she was about to utter some form of an apology, they scurried off. Meanwhile the culprit himself had breezed past her as if she weren't important enough for an apology. The culprit had his eyes fixed on one person - everything else around him was practically invisible. Yongsun would have found it cute had it not been for her now aching arm (the one that had suffered a hard slap from Hyejin only a few minutes ago). Sensing the two needed some form of privacy, she stepped back and easily blended in with the frenzy of newcomers. Soon enough, Yongsun found herself leaning against someone's locker; far enough to not eavesdrop on Hyejin and her boyfriend's conversation yet close enough to keep them in her sight. 

 

"I heard she dumped him over summer."

 

Yongsun turned to see a girl huddled with her minions friends as they glanced over at Hyejin. 

 

"No way! How do you know?" Minion one asked

 

The girl flipped her hair in a charismatic way, "My sister told me." 

 

"I didn't know your sister was friends with Ahn Hyejin!" Minion two gasped, "Can you imagine what this could do to our popularity?" The girl clasped her hands in glee but before she could break out into dance in celebration, her eyes flickered towards the girl who definitely was not in their social circle. Peering much more closely, she gave out a small gasp and nudged her friend. Simultaneously they all turned their heads to stare at Yongsun. 

 

"Yongsun, why the hell are you over at the first year lockers?" 

 

She stared blankly at the group of first years then at Hyejin. "I..Wha-"

 

"Hyejin unnie." The first year stepped forward with a smile.

 

"Do I know you?" 

 

"No but you know my sister, Rachel Chang." 

 

Hyejin pursed her lips in contempt, "Pretty sure I don't but if I see her, I'll be sure to ask her why she's telling people about my personal life." She turned to Yongsun who still was yet to utter a single word but still continued to stare mindlessly at her. Hyejin grabbed her by the shoulders and shook her, "Snap out of it." 

 

Out of nowhere he grabbed her wrist, "Hyejin!" 

 

"Go away."

 

"No, we need to talk!"

 

She freed herself from his tight grip and glared, "Crazy bastard." She said in a defiant manner before turning around and ushering a slightly confused Yongsun away from the gathering crowds. What a way to start the new school year. 

 

»»---¤---««

 

Yongsun took small glances at Hyejin, who for some reason was uncharacteristically quiet after the run in with apparently her now ex-boyfriend whom she had failed to mention to her best friend. No, Yongsun had to find out from Lily Chang - a freaking freshman. I mean, can you imagine the embarrassment of having a freshman know more about your best friend's personal life than you do? The horror! The very thought of it made Yongsun's blood boil. This was a big deal considering she wasn't normally the type to confront people, she hated the idea of hostility. She liked to believe that she exuded a calm and peaceful aura. Like seriously - 

 

"You're doing it again."

 

"Doing what?"

 

"Internal monologue." Hyejin said still keeping her eyes on her food.

 

"How do you know when I do that?"

 

"You have a dazed expression."

 

"Right whatever," Yongsun dismissed the subject, "Are you alright?" Considering it was the first time Hyejin was speaking after that whole diabolical scene in the hallways this morning, she took this as an indicator for the right time to talk about it.

 

Hyejin set down her fork and looked at her, "I know you're upset that I didn't tell you but honestly I've been so busy preparing for university and travelling over summer and adding on the fact that you were busy as well I just - "

 

Yongsun stuck out her hands and patted hers, "Don't worry about it." She smiled reassuringly all traces of earlier thoughts disappeared almost instantly at the look of despair on her best friend's face, "The important thing is how you're feeling."

 

She watched as Hyejin withdrew her hands and buried her face in her arms, "This was not how I thought the first day was going to turn out."

 

"Being the most popular girl in school has its drawbacks. You better give some advice to those wannabes before you leave."

 

"Shut up." Hyejin laughed, "How's your day been?"

 

"Uneventful."

 

"That's not what I heard," She raised her brows, "I heard that you rejected Eric earlier."

 

"Oh that. How'd you find that out?"

 

"Being the most popular girl in school has its perks." She replied with a wink

 

"Yeah well, dating Eric isn't going to get me good grades. I'm going to be super focused this year." 

 

Hyejin sighed, "You're so innocent, it's adorable."

 

»»---¤---««