Kim Yongsun (pt V)

class of 2017

»»---¤---««

Yongsun sat at the corner of her bed and watched as Hyejin tended to Namjoon's cuts on his face. She knew better than to intervene when her friend was angrily lecturing the guy - and today's topic was his inappropriate use of violence as a solution to his problems. She watches as Namjoon winces at the slight pressure Hyejin was deliberately applying whilst putting ointment on one of his newly aquired cuts on his face.

"Ow!" He flinches and pulls away from her tight grip before giving Yongsun a pleading look for her to help calm the angry girl down. But to his disappointment, the brunette turned away and shrugged her shoulders as if saying, 'You got yourself into this mess, you can get yourself out of it'. He makes a mental note to himself repay Yongsun in the future with the exact same attitude when Hyejin nags her about her drinking too much. 

Hyejin shoots him a glare before pulling him back towards her and grabs ahold of his face, "Sit still." 

"It hurts," He whines.

"Well that's what you get for starting a fight with someone," She says before hitting the back of his head, "What were you thinking?" 

As the two continued to bicker back and forth, Yongsun starts to tune them out -  a habit she picked up ever since the three of them started hanging out at the age of five. Judging from the appearance of the vein™️ on Hyejin's forehead, she suspects that the two of them will be arguing for the rest of the night. She sighs internally, so much for having a chill night. But then again, (not that she would admit it in front of Hyejin) she did carry some of the blame that got Namjoon all riled up. Indeed, it was Yongsun who had figured out that the source of the rumour was none other than Hyejin's ex (surprise surprise). Thinking about it now, she probably should've stayed quiet after telling Namjoon who the source was, but stupidly she told him everything - including the fact that she overheard the ex telling everyone in the hallway that he always had suspicions about Hyejin cheating on him and that Namjoon played a part in their breakup.

The guy had always been jealous of the close friendship that the two of them had and if they weren't her best friends, Yongsun too would have assumed the both of them had some history but in reality they were just that close. Yongsun supposes that perhaps it was because they shared the same type of humour - sarcastic and dark - a type of humour that she could not understand at times and often made her worried about their mental health. This probably would also explain why Namjoon would only reserve those types of memes for Hyejin whereas for Yongsun, he would send funny dog videos and wholesome memes. She could feel herself digressing again, even in her own thoughts. She wondered if maybe that played a part in her low score in her recent test and in her inability to understand the various mathematical concepts in class. She shudders at the thought of Moonbyul's reaction to her lack of improvement in her test. She had no doubt that the blonde was going to give her a lecture of her own. 

Without any warning whatsoever, Yongsun's bedroom door was flung open, "Are you deaf?" Her younger brother shouts loudly (he had his obnoxious noise cancelling headphones on), "Mom has been calling for you for the past two minutes. Even I could hear her with these on." 

She glares at him, "Ever heard of knocking?"

"Ever heard of helping out?" He glances down at the sight of Hyejin and Namjoon on the floor who both exchanged awkward looks with each other before looking up expectantly at him, "I'm guessing you both are staying for dinner?" 

They nod.

Her brother's gaze softens as he smiles at Hyejin, "How are you? How was your summer?"

Yongsun grabs the first pillow she could reach and throws it at him, "Get out!"

He scoffs and mimics her voice, "Get out." With a roll of his eyes, he slams the door shut.

The three of them sit in silence for a moment. The only sound that could be heard was the air coming out from Yongsun's flared nostrils, "You guys are so lucky you don't have any siblings." 

»»---¤---««

Yongsun was running incredibly late for her session with Moonbyul and she had no doubt that the tall blonde would have some words to say about her tardiness. But to be fair, she had a legimate excuse this time. Being the kind hearted person that she was, Yongsun had planned to surprise her tutor with iced coffee - to repay her for having the patience to explain the importance of natural log functions over and over and over and over...well you get the point. Everything was going fine, she had given herself enough time after her last class of the day to walk to the café, buy the coffee and get back to school with even five minutes to spare (so she decided to take her time walking to the classroom where the bossy blonde was waiting for her). However, she eventually came to realise that she was walking far too slow and five minutes seemed to go by quickly yet she was still making her way through the hallways. Upon this realisation, she picked up her pace and that is when diaster struck. As she rushed to get to the end of the hallway, she failed to notice the 'wet floor' sign and you can probably guess what happened next. 

Fast forward to now, Yongsun sits in the classroom slightly shivering from the spilt coffee that had splashed all over her, as she waits for Moonbyul, who had stalked off muttering to herself after Yongsun had explained what had happened. To be honest, she had no clue if the girl was coming back or not but it was currently raining outside so there was no way she was leaving any time soon. With a sigh she wrings her shirt and watched as the liquid dripped onto the floor (she makes a mental note to herself to wipe the floors before she leaves but at this current moment she had no amount of energy to do so). Minutes pass and thankfully, before Yongsun could delve into her thoughts of how much of a mess she was as a human being, Moonbyul enters the classroom carrying what looked like a duffel bag. Yongsun watches as the girl rummages through it, her brows were knitted in concentration and when she eventually finds what she's looking for, she smirks to herself in triumph. As Moonbyul looks back up, her grin disappears and is replaced with a stoic expression. She tosses one thing after the other at Yongsun, and allows herself to smile smugly as the brunette flinches when the towel and hoodie hit her in the face. 

"Dry yourself and wear that."

Yongsun peers down at the towel and hoodie in her hands, she brings them towards her face and sniffs, "Are you sure these are clean?" 

"I think the words you are meant to say are 'thank you'." 

"Thank you, but are you sure these are clean?" 

Moonbyul glares at Yongsun before stalking over towards her. She sticks out her hand only to be met with a confused look from the other. Impatiently, Moonbyul's eyes glance to her hand before returning their attention on the girl and juts her hand for emphasis. 

"What, what, what?" 

"Give me the towel."

"Why?"

"So I can dry your hair. You're wasting valuable studying time right now."

Yongsun hugs the towel against her chest in a protective manner, "I'm capable of drying my hair."

"Well then do it." She says through gritted teeth.

"Alright, calm down." Yongsun replies with widened eyes. She opens to say something else but as soon as she catches the blonde's impatient glare, she closes and silently dries her hair. But she made sure to do so in a slow manner - just to subtly annoy the taller girl. 

 

»»---¤---««

After what feels like an enternity, Yongsun finally finishes drying her hair and areas on her arms and legs. She peers down at her soaked through shirt and then looks at Moonbyul with a docile smile, "I don't suppose you have an extra shirt in that bag?" 

"Just take off your shirt and wear the hoodie." Moonbyul says with a shrug

"What? No way." 

"Well I don't have any spare tshirts, so either take the hoodie or leave it."

With a sigh, Yongsun stands and begins to her shirt. 

"What're you doing?" Moonbyul says with a shocked expression. She feels her ears go warm and her face flush ever so slightly at the sight. Yongsun, however, stays put - her fingers linger on the next button as she stares at Moonbyul in a way that says, 'What's wrong?

Incrediously, Moonbyul says "You-You can't..."

"What? We're both girls, it's nothing you haven't seen before."

"Yeah but..."

Now it was Yongusn's turn to be impatient, "Oh my god, just turn around if it makes you feel uncomfortable." With a roll of her eyes, she continues to her shirt and laughs silently to herself as she watches the blonde shift tentatively on the balls of her feet. The sight of a shy Moonbyul seemed like a rare one - normally the girl carried herself with confidence wherever she went but seeing her squirm and fidget nervously over something so small makes Yongsun burst into laughter. The girl in question peers over shoulder, with a clear of she asks, "Are you decent?"

"Yes, you can turn around now," Yongsun says brightly. She looks down at the hoodie she was wearing, the thing was practically drowning her body - in that it was ridicously oversized. With a frown, she flails her arms around, her hands were engulfed by the sleeves, "Why is this so big?" She whines.

Moonbyul steps forward and pulls her towards her, which renders a surprised yelp from the brunette. The blonde ignores her and focuses instead on the sleeves. Almost delicately, she pulls each arm closer towards herself to slowly fold the sleeves until eventually, Yongsun's hands emerge. Dazed at the sudden gentleness from her, Yongsun subconsiously inches forward just ever so slightly. 

Moonbyul is the first to break out of their shared trance and takes a step back,  "Just do that, you idiot."

"Stop calling me that." 

"Stop being stupid then."

"I can't, it's a personality trait." 

For the first time that day, the blonde girl breaks into a geniune smile which makes Yongsun somewhat proud of herself. "We should probably do some math now." 

With a groan of protest from the less mathematically inclined individual, they both sit and take out the necessary materials which included the thick, worn out textbooks everyone was required to lug around every day. "I think we should focus on partial fractions today."

Yongsun nods (she had no idea what they were but they sounded vaguely familar).

There was a moment of silence before Moonbyul mumurs, "I'll buy the coffee next time." 

 

»»---¤---««

author's note: thank you to those who have left comments already. I don't know if you guys get notified but I do reply to them. Your feedback means a lot to me and I'm glad you enjoy reading the story as much as I enjoy writing it. ♡