Kim Yongsun (pt I)

class of 2017

»»---¤---««

If you were to ask students to summarise Kim Yongsun using one adjective, they would all end up saying the same word - clumsy. She can't remember exactly when it started, but her clumsiness has been with her throughout childhood and onto adolescence. She has lost count on how many stitches she's gotten over the span of eighteen years but let's just say that almost every nurse in the city hospital now knows her name. 

Most of her cuts and bruises have resulted from running after the school bus in the morning and unsurprisingly, (a) she is late to school almost all the time and (b) she always manages to trip and fall during the sprinting. Her best friend of thirteen years, Ahn Hyejin has witnessed it one too many times, to the point where she quickly got her driver's license as soon as she turned of age just so Yongsun wouldn't suffer any more - though she'd never admit that to her face. 

"It's a hassle not having a car in the city." Was her automatic response when Yongsun enquired about it. 

Yongsun yawned as she stared out the window of her best friend's car. She tried to focus on the nice sunrise but all she could see were the dark circles clouding her face. She had spent all of last night making up a list on things she wanted to achieve this school year:

  1. Pass math with at least a grade  B  C. 
  2. Participate more in class discussions
  3. Make more of an effort to get to know people. (Being friends with Hyejin was great and all but they were never in the same classes. She was the smart one and Yongsun was just average)
  4. NO MORE CLUMSINESS

The last one on the list was the most important so much so that it had been highlighted and underlined more than once - you know, just to emphasise the importance. You're probably thinking 'so she's clumsy, so what?' Well I'll tell you 'what', okay - picture this. It's graduation day - you're standing in line waiting for your name to be called. You smile at the crowd picking out the faces of your proud parents amongst the sea of other parents. Your name is called - you take a deep breath. You go up the steps one by one until you reach the stage. You walk across the stage, eyes on your certficate. You're just mere inches away from grabbing your freedom before - oh no you trip on your gown and fall face first onto the cold wooden stage. You turn your head to see everyone laughing whilst your parents are trying their best to not be embarrassed by the pathetic lump of clumsiness that is their daughter on the stage. Okay so now we've established just how important it was for Yongsun to not be clumsy this year, we'll move on -

"Are you doing an internal monologue in third person again?" Hyejin asked as if it happened on a daily basis and she was only asking out of habit not because she didn't already know the answer.

"No.."

"God, you're so weird. It's amazing how we're actually friends."

"I thank God every day. You truly have blessed my life with your presence, Ahn Hyejin." 

"Don't you forget it." She replied with a smirk before pulling into the school parking lot. "No nu-uh." She slammed down on her car horn and then proceeded to stick her head out the window, "Back off Namjoon, that's my parking spot." 

"Oh c'mon," He whined, "There's other spaces."

"Get your car out of that space before I come and do it for you."

"You're such a bi -"

"Finish that sentence and I'll finish your life."

It wasn't long before Hyejin masterfully maneuvered her car into the space and switched off her engine. Leaning her head back against the headrest and closing her eyes, she sighed in content. She did all this while Yongsun stared at her with her brown doe eyes. 

"You're creeping me out."

"You're everything I want to be in life. Damn you're so cool."

"I thought you said you didn't like how I lose my temper."

The brunette nodded in agreement, "You do need a little zen in your life - perhaps you would be interested in meditating with me?"

"No thanks."

"Your loss."

"Can you believe it's our last year?"

"For you not for me."

Hyejin frowned, "What're you talking about?"

The girl let out a long dramatic sigh, "If I fail math again, I might have to repeat." 

"Wait what? You did well last time!"

"Hyejin, I'm cursed."

She rolled her eyes, "Here we go again."

"My math grades fluctuate every year, so if I did well last year I'm going to do terrible this year - out of all the years I could do terrible in, it had to be the most important year." She groaned.

"Yongsun, you are the root cause of your own stress,"

"Say whatever you want - but I'm going to do badly."

"The school year hasn't even officially started yet -" She pointed at the clock which read 8:43 am, "And you're already being so negative."

"I'm positive that I'm going to do badly." Yongsun muttered.

"Do you want me to tutor you again?" 

Yongsun stared at her in horror as memories of last year flooded her brain. She shook her head excessively, "No that would be a bad idea."

"Okay wow, that wasn't hurtful at all."

"I'm sorry but you're really mean as a tutor."

Hyejin turned her cheek against the headrest to stare at her, "No Yongsun, you're just really stupid."

She puffed out her cheeks in anger, "You made me cry."

Hyejin laughed, "You cry at everything."

"You made me cry within 50 seconds of you tutoring me." 

»»---¤---««