Kim Yongsun (pt III)

class of 2017

»»---¤---««

Yongsun watched as her psychic shuffled the tarot cards, her knees bobbing up and down in anticipation. She had made sure to get her reading done every now and then each month just to check if her life was on track and to prepare her for any scenario. She was a frequent client of almost two years much to Hyejin's disappointment. Her friend didn't approve of her psychic after having read some of her reviews online. "That woman is a quack." Were her exact words. But Yongsun had always found that her readings were accurate most of the time, however when she made this point to Hyejin, it was refuted almost immediately; "What? She predicted you were going to get hurt?" She rolled her eyes, "Yongsun, you're the clumsiest person I know. Hell, even I can predict that." After that, Yongsun made no attempt to persuade her to think differently - her friend was a stubborn one, she was always adamant on her views and opinions.

"Pick six cards, child."

Yongsun surpresses a laugh, "Yejin, you're only three years older than I am."

Yejin's mystic demeanor faltered a bit as a flicker of annoyance flashed across her face but after a brief moment, she regained her composure. "Nevertheless," She clears , "I have three more years of wisdom than you."

The foolish and gullible brunette nods, "That's true." Her hand hovers over the faced down cards that spanned across the wooden table in front of them. She chooses six cards, "Please continue."

Yejin picks them up, her eyebrows moving up and down as she read them. She occasionally threw in a few "Ahhs" and "oohs" which piqued the naive girl's curiosity.

She lays the cards in front of her facing up and points to the first one. "This is the lovers card." The card showed three women staring at a person - to Yongsun that's literally what it was; just four people having a staring contest but to Yejin it was much much more.

She taps the card with her index finger a few times, "This means you want love or a new love and a new relationship in in the making. Even -"

Yongsun interrupts her, "Let me stop you right there." She says whilst holding up her hand, "I've no interest in that sort of stuff. Please just tell me about the outcomes of my goals right now."

Yejin's voice lost all the mystic element it had, "You picked the cards." She says, not bothering to hide her irritation.

"Yes I know but can we-"

"Do you want your reading or not?" She snaps.

Yongsun cowers in her seat, "Sorry." She gestures at the cards, "Please continue."

Yejin goes back to her mystic voice, "As I was saying, even if you are not thinking about love, you're in for a surprise."

She waits for a response from the girl but to her dismay Yongsun remained indifferent. Strange, she thinks to herself. Normally her female clients would be jumping for joy for picking this card at the prospect of a blossoming relationship yet Yongsun seemed to not care whatsoever. Odd. Very odd indeed.

She points to the second card, "This is the judgment card." She taps on it with her finger, "This means that if you allow fear to stop you from taking a chance or a new possibility then you will lose out. Do not ignore the new opportunities being presented to you - a decision, new job or relationship. They could change your life for the better."

Yongsun merely nods in acknowledgement, still remaining silent. Taking her lack of response as a indicator to continue, Yejin proceeds to the next card.

"This is the world card." She taps on it, "Success and fulfillment are near at hand - the successful outcome to a venture and - "

Yongsun stands up abruptly causing the psychic to fall back into her chair in fear at the sudden movement, "Okay perfect. We can just finish here."

Yejin frowns, "Don't you want to hear the rest?"

The girl shakes her head while gathering her things into her backpack, "Nah it's fine. I'm actually going to be late for class if I stay any longer." 

"Wait! You haven't paid me yet!" Yejin yells after her.

"Put it on my tab!" Yongsun shouts over her shoulder.

"I don't do tabs!"

But it was too late. The girl had already disappeared. Man, she sure can run fast.

Yejin sighs as she started to tidy up her workspace. Maybe it was the lack of clients or maybe it was because she was a nosy person in general, whichever it was, Yejin decided to read the rest of Yongsun's readings.

Huh. She thinks to herself, the universe must really want this girl to be in a relationship. Good luck to whoever that person is.

Kim Yongsun is certainly a peculiar one indeed, Yejin had found. On the surface she may seem ditzy and often clueless at times but there was more than meets the eye with this girl.

»»---¤---««

"You seem oddly happy."

"Why wouldn't I be?"

Irene gives Yongsun a worried look, "You do realise what day it is right?"

"Of course I do." She replies whilst happily munching on her salad.

Irene looks at her apprehensively, "We have the test today..."

"I know." Yongsun nods, "I'm ready."

Before Irene could say anything, Hyejin had beaten her to the punch and pointed her fork at Yongsun in an accusing manner, "You went to that psychic again didn't you?" She sighs, "Yongsun you're way too nice. You shouldn't let people take advantage of your naivety."

"Her readings were accurate today."

Hyejin returns her attention back to her lunch and sighs in defeat, "Whatever. It's not like I can dictate what you can and cannot do."

Yongsun slings her arm over Hyejin's shoulder and pulls her into a hug which Hyejin fought against, but to no avail. She was surprisingly very strong. "Aww is my cutie worried about me?" She coos, "I'm not that foolish. So you can stop worrying."

"StOp." Hyejin whines as she wriggles out of her grip, "So you're ready for this test then?"

"So ready."

Irene sighs, "I wish I had your confidence."

"You're good at math." Hyejin says. She jerks her thumb at Yongsun, "She's a special case."

Irene shakes her head back and forth, the movement caused her straight black hair to become somewhat disheveled which was a weird sight as she was normally so annoyingly neat and tidy. "They're merging the advanced class with our class."

"What? Why?"

Irene looks at Yongsun confused, "Yongsun, we were told this in class last week. You were there."

She gives her a sheepish grin, "I was too busy crying over the homework questions so I didn't pay any attention to the announcements."

"Their teacher quit just near the end of last year. The school failed to find any replacement - or maybe they were just too lazy to." She adds in as an afterthought, "Anyway they decided to just merge that class with ours since they don't have that many people anyway."

Hyejin frowns, "But that's hardly fair. They're way ahead. So the stuff you guys are learning this semester, they probably would have already been taught."

Irene nods, "It puts so much pressure on us."

As the both of them continued onto a different topic of conversation, Yongsun had remained silent throughout the duration of it which was very uncharacteristic as normally she would have something to say for almost anything - even things as mudane as the weather for example.

Hyejin nudges Yongsun with her elbow, "Hey. You alright?" It was a rare sight to see Yongsun so happy and optimistic about an upcoming math test. Hyejin didn't want for that newfound confidence to be shattered so easily in just a few minutes. A part of her was annoyed at Irene for bringing the topic up in the first place - couldn't it have waited until after the test was done? But regardless, what's done was done.

Yongsun nods, "Yeah I'm fine." 

Still unconvinced, Hyejin asked again. Instead of giving a verbal answer, Yongsun cups Hyejin's face with both her hands, "Stop worrying. You're going to get wrinkles." She says in the tone of voice one would use to sweet talk a child. "If you must know, I was thinking about what my psychic told me earlier."

"What did she say?"

Yongsun smiles broadly, "Does that mean you believe in her readings?"

Hyejin rolls her eyes, "Isn't that the normal response? To ask about it since you seemed so deep in thought? That doesn't mean I take back what I said about her."

Yongsun pouts, "Fine. I won't tell you."

"Okay."

There was a brief silence.

"Okay fine I'll tell you."

Hyejin smiles to herself.

"Apparently I'm going to find love this year."

"That seems unlikely."

Yongsun made no attempt to hide her hurt expression, "Why's that?"

"Yongsun, you do realise you spent almost all of last week rejecting people left and right. If you were suppose to find love, I don't think that's the way to do it."

"That's true."

"Besides, didn't you say you weren't interested in any of that stuff this year?"

"That is also true."

"No more talk of whatever comes out of that quack's mouth." Hyejin pokes Yongsun's cheek, "Good luck on your test."

Yongsun smiles, "Thanks. I think it'll go okay."

 

[Narrator: It did not go okay.]

 

»»---¤---««

author's note: phew. Sorry for the long wait. I'm sorry for the inconsistent updates. Please. Comment. :)