Unsteady

Unsteady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 24: Unsteady

 

Unsteady – X Ambassadors

“Hold
Hold on
Hold on to me
'Cause I'm a little unsteady
A little unsteady

If you love me, don't let go
If you love me, don't let go”

 

 

 

Light shined in through the window. Wonwoo groaned, trying to pull his pillow over his eyes. He rolled over in his bed, stretching his arm out. He frowned, looking to the side of the large bed. He leaned over the bed, reaching to the side where his cane always was. He pushed his good leg off the bed, his foot connecting with the cold wooden floor. He reached into his drawer, pulling out the sock and fitting it on. He then leaned down again, reaching for the metallic base. He pulled the plastic socket on, the familiar pull of the weight of the device pulling at the muscles in his thigh.

 

The birds were so loud today, chirping obnoxiously outside his window. Wonwoo couldn’t help but be annoyed. He rose from his spot, nonetheless, doing his daily stretches. His body felt good today, better than usual. He felt balanced, almost normal.

 

His phone lit up beside him. He grabbed the phone, seeing the caller and realizing he was kind of ed. He forgot he was supposed to meet up with Seungcheol today. He dropped to the floor, quickly changing his shoes and adjusting what he needed to. He ran to the door, answering the phone just barely in enough time before it cut to voicemail.

 

“No! I didn’t forget!” His voice was unconvincing.

 

“I call B.S. So are you here then?” Wonwoo could hear the smile in his voice through the phone call.

 

“Almost.”

 

“Oh yeah how close is almost?” Seungcheol laughed. Wonwoo quickened his steps, looking around for the park.

 

“5 minutes?” Wonwoo questioned. Sure, it was a slight underestimation. Seungcehol scoffed on the other end of the phone. Wonwoo rushed across the street. “I’m just so tired, this is all so new Seungcheol.” Seungcheol hummed.

 

“It’s been two years Won, bull!” Wonwoo laughed, breathing heavily now as he crossed the street. The new “shoes” felt weird but good, really good. He heard a voice in the background of the phone yelling something at Seungcheol.

 

“Is that Jihoon?” Wonwoo said, voice teasing and lifted. He rounded the corner, the park approaching in the background.

 

“Yeah, yeah he said he like wanted to join so like you know…” Seungcheol stuttered. Wonwoo smiled, seeing his friends sitting at a table in the park. Seungcheol had the phone to his mouth, covering it partly to respond something to Jihoon. Jihoon seemed irritated as usual. His hands were crossed across his chest, wheelchair pushed suspiciously close to the bench Seungcheol was sitting at. Wonwoo hung up the phone, not bothering to tell the other boy why. Seungcheol looked at the phone confused before he looked around. Seungcheol finally looked his way, waving at Wonwoo dramatically as he saw the other boy.

 

Wonwoo walked up, not missing Seungcheol’s dramatic reaction to his “shoe”. Seungcheol threw his head back, laughing wildly. Wonwoo just shook his head, smiling down. It had taken them so long to return to this level of friendship. After the surgery, Seungcheol had stuck around, even after Wonwoo was totally honest with him. He’d gone away for his military service shortly after. It was hard, but he still kept in contact with Wonwoo. When he came back, it was as if the time apart had been a restart for them. He’d only been back for a few months, but Wonwoo felt like they were back to elementary school, running around the playground.

 

Jihoon gave Wonwoo a once over, warily looking at the boy. Wonwoo wasn’t the only one that Seungcheol had kept in contact with while doing his military service. Wonwoo smiled, leaning forward with his hand and patting Jihoon’s bald head. Jihoon had been in remission for a few months before the cancer came back. He was handling it well. Sarcastic and dismal as always, but Wonwoo would be concerned if the boy wasn’t pessimistic.

 

“I considered running with you all today, but I knew you all wouldn’t be able to keep up with me. I’m sparing you the embarrassment.” Jihoon smiled, smirking slightly.

 

“I like your new toy.” Seungcheol nodded forward, referencing to Wonwoo’s “shoe”. Wonwoo looked down. The base of his prosthetic leg barely peaked out of his shorts. Most of what could be seen was the new metal piece that attached right after the socket base. He’d only ever practiced with it on a track, but he’d had the blade for a while. He smiled, suddenly grateful for how much he had practiced on the leg so he could show off when he’d meet with Seungcheol to go run.

 

“Thanks.” Wonwoo smiled cheekily, bouncing slightly from his foot to his blade. Seunghceol walked over to the path around the park, and they took off. Wonwoo was still very slow when it came to running. As Jeonghan put it, he was breathing borrowed air. After a double lung transplant, sprinting wasn’t really much of an option. But distance running, slow and steady mileage, was actually good for preserving his lungs. Seungcheol didn’t seem to mind slowing down for him. Seungcheol had gotten into running during his military service. He was currently training for the Marathon in the spring, all proceeds would go to funding research for leukemia and lymphoma. Wonwoo had never seen anyone quite as excited as Seungcheol when he asked him if he could run with him one day.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter