Waves

Unsteady
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 20: Waves (2281 words)

 

“Waves” – Dean Lewis

“And freedom
And falling
The feeling I thought was set in stone
It slips through my fingers
Trying hard to let go
It comes and goes in waves
It comes and goes in waves
And carries us away”

 

A/N: Follow me on twitter (@nat_a_joke) to interact/ get updates/ ask questions, etc.

 

Also Upvoter S/O is back! S/O: mochi_alicia for voting up my stories <3. Also, special S/O to yeonnnbinnnn_97 and Djatasma for all the comments you have left for me. You have been so supportive from the beginning and it truly means the world to me. 

 

I literally cannot explain to y'all how much a comment or an upvote means to me. <3

 

Mingyu groaned as the sun peeked through his curtains, forcing him awake from the little sleep he had gotten. If only it had all been a dream. He would wake up in the morning with no splitting headache. However, the nightmare was reality. He had really done that. He’d crossed the line no physician was ever supposed to cross. He got out of bed, rolling to the side. He glanced at his phone, but decided to ignore it. Wonwoo wouldn’t have texted, but Seungcheol might have. Or maybe Jeonghan and Jisoo would have something to say if they’d heard about what he did. He’s sure Jihoon made no effort to keep it quiet.

 

The kiss would not leave his mind. It played over and over again, never letting him have rest. “Why did I do that” He thought to himself restlessly. He didn’t want this to happen. He didn’t want to take advantage of Wonwoo or his position.

He rubbed his eyes tiredly, pouring some coffee from the coffee pot. The clock in front of him read 6:30AM. Little of the world would be awake this early on a Saturday. He decided to go for a run, since sleep wouldn’t allow him to rejoin. The run would take his mind off of things.

 

As he changed he glanced toward his phone again, wondering if he should take it. The constant thought of what if Wonwoo called ran through his mind, but he knew he wouldn’t. Wonwoo was doing better, he didn’t need Mingyu. He definitely didn’t need Mingyu taking advantage of him.

 

It was raining outside, but Mingyu decided to still go run. The burning in his chest and the water coating his clothing distracted him well from the mess he had made. The sun was just beginning to rise and he knew it would be a few more hours before he could do any work to distract himself. He considered running to Jisoo and Jeonghan’s house, but at the chance of a lecture, he decided against it.

 

He ran through the city. Mindlessly wondering and pushing himself to keep going. Passing 5 miles, he neared the school. His legs were starting to hurt and he was getting very short of breath, but the school forced him to keep going. The thing about running that many loved was the pain. Due to the fact the pain could distract you from things you didn’t want to deal with yet. Running past the school he heard the distant but familiar sound of sirens break the air. He glanced to the side, looking around for the source to see if he needed to get out of the way of the sirens. Sure enough an ambulance sped past him from the direction of the hospital.

 

Mingyu watched as the ambulance sped past the school and in the opposite direction of where Mingyu was going. Mingyu stopped running, an eerie feeling coursing through his veins. “Don’t turn down that street, don’t turn down that street” he thought to himself as the ambulance continued on. And then it happened. The ambulance turned down Marbellowed Court. The street Wonwoo lived on. Mingyu’s heart dropped, he took off running towards Wonwoo’s house, dread spreading through his body.

 

 

Mingyu got to the house just moments after the ambulance pulled up. They were at Wonwoo’s house. The nightmare continued. He looked around quickly, the men had already gotten out of the truck and gone inside. Mingyu ran as fast as he could to the house. He burst through the doors. Wonwoo’s mother was in the kitchen, sobbing.

 

“Mingyu! H-He’s in his bed room. He couldn’t breathe Mingyu. I-I tried to call you after I called 911. He passed out.”

 

Mingyu ran up to her, pulling her into a hug, forgetting the fact that he was drenched in sweat and rain. “I’m so sorry, I didn’t take my phone running. I’m here.” She nodded and they watched as the parametics brought Wonwoo out on a stretcher. He was unconscious, lips blue indicating he hadn’t been breathing.

 

Mingyu jumped up, following the parametics out the door. “Hello, I’m Kim Mingyu. I’m one of the members of his team, with the intern program. He’s my personal patient.” Mingyu’s voice cut off at the end as he began to get choked up, he grabbed Wonwoo’s hand. The parametics nodded as they loaded Wonwoo into the van and let Mingyu hop in to ride along to the hospital.

 

Mingyu clutched Wonwoo’s hand almost desperately, bringing the hand up to his mouth and kissing it. He whispered prayers in the hand as the tears dripped down his face.

 

“What’s h-his vitals?” Mingyu asked, quietly, looking up at the paramedic sitting near the machine they had hooked up to Wonwoo before him.

 

The paramedic looked over at the boys sadly, before look back at the machinery, “He’s still not breathing on his own. His temperature is slightly elevated, oxygen saturation in his blood is low, indicating a problem with the lungs. We will need to insert a tube as soon as we get to the hospital.”

 

Mingyu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter