The Ring

The Arranged Marriage

The dim morning began in the study hall. Mrs. Lee was not joking around when she said that Jinri would have etiquette classes or when she insisted for them to start within the same week of their announcement. It was a quarter to 9 and Jongin had already laid out the books which was expected of Jinri to finish reading within the next couple of weeks. Spread across the smooth brown table Jinri looked over all of them quietly before turning to Jongin with tired eyes.

"The first thing I wake up to see is a collection of books, how thoughtful," She said rubbing her eyes.

Clearing his throat and fixing his posture, arms down to his side, back straight, shoulders relaxed, "I made sure to tell you what time you would be expected to be up. Had you forgotten?" 

Jinri shook her head. It was impossible to forget anything she was told in this house. Every word was crucial to survive it seemed. Becoming a heir's wife was no easy task and transitioning into the part was going to be difficult to adjust to.

He smiled and clapped his hands softly, "Alright, the first lesson of the day is something simple and very important; posture." He sat in the chair across from Jinri and began sulking in his seat which confused Jinri and made him look ridiculous.

"Your posture is like a voice, it tells people about you. And this is no good voice," He said starring at Jinri who tilts her head at him. "Are you saying I sit like that?"

Jongin shrugs, "You're giving me an example." Jinri sighs and sits up into the chair stubbornly and Jongin smiles at this and fixes himself too. Feeling proud that she had caught on and learned something he happily claps.

"Just how do you have so much energy in the morning?" She asks crossing her arms. Jongin smiles, "I've trained myself ever since I was young to be up by sunrise. It always bothered Taemin, you see, he's not exactly a morning person."

Of course, their conversation would eventually turn to the heir. Thinking about it now, Jongin was the first to ever mention something personal about Taemin. She didn't know the heir very well other than the arrogant side he had shown her. Jinri wasn't expecting there to be much more to him but she also hoped that he wasn't only arrogant.

"Jongin, tell me, what was Taemin like growing up?" She asks resting her head on the table and looking at him with curiosity in her eyes.

The butler smiled, "Taemin, the heir, he was just as you'd imagined him to be. He was independent, driven, a little shy and awkward but still a strong boy. As you can see, some of those qualities have changed others not so much."

Jinri chuckled, "You forgot to mention arrogant."

Jongin smirked, "It's impossible for anyone to forget that."

Their small moment of quietness was interrupted by the opening of the doors, Jongin tried not to show his dissatisfaction as his lips formed a straight line and his smile disappeared. The heir himself walked into the room freshly dressed and his eyes scattering to Jinri's.

"Go get washed up and put on something descent, we have a long day ahead of us."

She furrowed, "Where to exactly?"

He picked off some lint from his sleeve, "Somewhere important. Now, don't make me regret doing this, hurry up."

Jinri sighed and pulled herself from the chair and past the heir who seemed to be in a rush. Jongin watched her slim figure disappear down the hall and his cousin watch her go up the stairs. "Just where exactly are you taking her?"

Taemin strolled to one of the bookcases on the left side of the room, observing all of which he already read, "It is none of your concern, butler."

It made Jongin fuel with anger whenever Taemin refused to address him by his name rather than the role he had to play for most of his life. "Mrs. Lee instructed me to teach the young women important etiquette lessons. She would have told me if there was a change in plans before hand."

Taemin abruptly turned around and cleared his throat, "Do you always have to question what you are told?"

Jongin stared at him with fixed eyes, "I'm only looking out for her. I've seen the stunts you can pull and I won't let you treat her anymore terrible than you already do."

The heir huffed loudly, "You think of me as some kind of monster."

Jongin doesn't utter aa word but blinks instead. This leads Taemin to scoff which is followed by a low chuckle, "I'll have her back here by the evening. In the meantime why don't you go clean or something."

Taemin rolls his eyes on his way out of the room leaving Jongin to watch his silhouette disappear. 


By the time Jinri finished washing up and pulling on what Taemin and pretty much Victoria deemed 'descent', she headed out of the large estate and to the heirs vehicle. He was leaning on the black mustang checking his watch every five seconds. There he was in his high fashioned clothing next to his fancy and expensive car. Everything about the view Jinri was witnessing screamed money which she didn't want to be brainwashed with. However, her life was going to be very different after this wedding which meant money was going to be at the tip of her fingertips all the time. This thought didn't exactly ease her mind.

Looking up from his watch and at the girl who stood there with a pout, Taemin sighed. "How long have you been standing there? Look, we need to go now if you want to make it back in time for your useless lessons. Get in."

Jinri rolled her eyes at his rude way of greeting her and when she got closer to the car it became clear that there was no personal driver. "Wait, you're driving?" She asked. Taemin pulled open the door and hopped into the drivers seat, "Yeah. Why, you don't trust me with my own car now?"

Jinri crossed her arms, "I didn't say that." Eventually getting into the car and buckling up, the engine starts and the car is on the road within the minute.

They say you can tell more about a person through their car but it didn't work so well for this occasion. The mustang was a beauty, clean and comfortable. There was nothing out of the ordinary nor personal on the inside or outside of the car. In fact, if Jinri didn't know any better she would think the car was bought the same morning.

His eyes were on the road but from the corner he could see her shift in her seat analyzing every inch of the vehicle. She reminded him of a child who'd never been in a car before. Her dark brown locks were down and she had a strand of it pushed behind her ear, she appeared to look even more younger when her hair was down. He wouldn't complain about this.

She rested her head against the window and watched as the trees came and went in a blur from the high speed they were driving at. She would then try to count how many trees they drove past, this lasted for a good minute until she got bored.

Reaching to turn on the radio her hand is quickly retracted by Taemin, "No music, I like the silence."

"We've been driving in silence for the past half an hour. I need to hear something," She responds going to reach again and likewise her hand is pulled away.

"Fine, listen to my voice. Most women like the sound of it," He states confidently as he grins sheepishly.

Jinri huffs and glares at him, "I am not like most women. Your charm isn't working on me."

Taemin nods, "Sure, not now but soon it will. Just wait and see."

A green sign comes into view reading something that states they were only 6 miles away from getting into another part of Korea. The name of the place looked unfamiliar to Jinri, hence, she realized she had never been this far out before.

"Where exactly are you taking me?" She asked once more that day.

Taemin sighed, "To an old family friend. Now, stop talking. I need silence if you want to make it the location in one piece."

"Did you just threaten to get us into a car crash?" She asked unsure how to comprehend what he had said.

"Oh, look at that, my right foot is getting a bit tired."

Jinri crossed her arms and kept to her side of the car in utter disbelief of how stubborn and rude the heir could be. As for the rest of the ride it was droven in pure silence.


Parking the car across the street from a string of little shops full of sweets, perfumes, and even toys Jinri looked around in awe at the small little town that felt like a whole new world to her. The brown brick pavement and the upscale people that walked upon them took Jinri by surprise. A tall women that strutted with a Gucci purse in one hand and a phone in the other resembled a model from the cover of a magazine hitting stores soon.

Shutting the door and walking over to the sidewalk, Taemin didn't hear footsteps behind him and when he turned around he saw the girls eyes light up at the sight of her surroundings. In the moment, just for a second, she appeared to remind him of something from his childhood. It was a feeling. A feeling that he hadn't felt in a long time and couldn't put a name on as of yet.

"Jinri, we must go," He called out earning her attention and getting her to walk behind him down the not so busy streets. They passed little boutiques and a bakery that had a specialty in chocolate chip cookies. At the end of the street there was a small shop that didn't appear as busy as the others. Taemin pushed open the door and a light jingle went off which alarmed the owner of a customer.

Inside the shop was jewelry of all the sorts. There were small delicate necklaces, charm bracelets, studs and diamond earrings. Pictures of smiling women wearing the beautiful jewelry were hung up on the brown walls. Taemin waited at the front of the shop and eyed around in hopes of the person he had been promised to meet here.

"Mr. Lee, is that really you?" A hoarse man's voice said coming from a door in the back of the room. Jinri looked away from the anklets on display and towards the old man's direction, a wide smile on his face and arms open wide for an embrace. Taemin casually took in the man's hug and patted his back, "Erik,You haven't aged a bit."

Erik Lee was one of Mr. Lee's brother's. He had a good eye for jewelery and began creating pieces of his own. For years he had his own little shop in one of his favorite districts, his customers are mostly family and regular's but he's made his living off of something he loves.

"Why, you look just like your father. My brother is giving you a hard time, right?" He casually asks. Clapping his hands excitedly he catches the sight of Jinri from the corner of his eye. "My, oh my, is this the wife?" He asks starring at her.

Jinri slowly strolls to them and shakes his hand respectfully, "Choi Jinri."

"Taemin here is a lucky man to marry such a beautiful young women as yourself," He compliments.

Jinri nods, "Thank you."

"I wish the two of you the best of luck in your marriage. Please do take care of Taemin, he's a man but behind every great man is a great woman who helps him." He says with his gravelly voice.

The heir's eyes travel to Jinri and she notices, nodding her head, "O-Of course. I'll try my hardest."

Clearing his throat and patting the old man's back, "Alright, I hope you haven't forgotten why were here. Do you have the item with you?"

Erik chuckles, "Of course, Taemin. Your mother would kill me if I didn't have it. Right this way then."

Taemin and Jinri follow the man to the front desk where the man goes behind and bends down to retrieve the item. Jinri still wasn't sure exactly what he had and why Taemin found it so important to come but as soon as the old man pulled out a small box it became clear the reasoning behind their visit.

Removing the satin red lid carefully and pushing forward the box a shiny diamond ring sits still. It was elegant and beautiful all at once. The silver engagement ring had a round diamond center, it's style was nothing to extreme but rather simple which Jinri preferred. Her eyes sparkled as she looked at the ring in awe.

"This ring is a 3 carat, Mrs. Lee had scrapped most of my other designs and this was the final cut."

"You really made this? It's beautiful." Jinri said still in shock at what she was looking at.

Erik smiled, "Why don't you try it on? I'm sure it would look even better on that hand of yours."

The older man picked up the ring and was about to put it on her finger but quickly retracted from doing so, "I'm so foolish, Taemin you may do the honors."

Taemin looked at the man blankly and Jinri looked at the heir feeling a bit worried at the change of events. She was so concerned with how the ring looked she had forgotten who was supposed to be the man to put it on her. He wasn't exactly her favorite person in the world and right now she wouldn't have minded if the old man would be the one to place the ring on her.

"It's alright, you can-"

"Oh no, I know how special moments like these are. My wife and I went throgh the same thing, it's okay to be nervous. Just give it a go."

Taemin cleared his throat and took the ring from the man and stared down at it carefully. Jinri watched him do so and it was no surprise how awkward it had become. Gently holding her hand which shocked Jinri at how soft he could be, he slowly pushed the ring on her finger and that's when it finally hit her that she would be a married woman.

"Beautiful," Erik says grinning proudly from behind the desk.

Jinri analyzed her hand, the ring was so unfamiliar to see but looked perfectly on her. It's beauty was costly and it's meaning was nothing of that. Wearing this ring would declare Jinri as Taemin's and seeing how things were she wasn't sure if she were ever ready to belong to someone.

Taemin watched the girl stare down at her hand, her delicate hand that fit the ring exactly. She would be Lee Jinri within a matter of months. Seeing her now in this moment made him wonder just how would having her as his wife turn out to be.

Only time would tell.

 

A/N: I know this chapter is really long but I literally had a brain dump of what I wanted to see in the next chapters. We're almost reaching that 10 chapter mark which means that a change is coming, good or bad, we'll have to find out in the next chapters. Comment down below if you have any suggestions for what you want to see next. And if you know anybody who wants to make a poster for this story let me know, I'm thinking of changing it soon but that'ts until I find somebody to do it. I'll update soon!