The Breakdown

The Arranged Marriage

The sun peeked in the wide bedroom window lighting the girl’s hair like a fiery halo. Wrapped in the soft white satin sheets it was evident just how comfortable the night’s sleep must have been. Tossing over to her side, the light shining on her face causes an eye to open. Slowly the next eye opens and with a blink or two, she’s finally awoken.

Lifting her head from the pillow, her soft long hair appearing in waves and tumbling down her back like waterfalls. She shifts to her side to stretch and yawn, this was natural for her to do. Yet, when she rubbed her eyes once more and took a good look at her surroundings it became a bit more surreal for her. This wasn’t the exact walls she had grown used to seeing, and this bed wasn’t fully her own.

It had dawned on her that she was now at her new home, and there would be more mornings like this to come. Mornings where it would take her a minute to realize that her parents aren’t in the room next door and that she had to adjust to this new life. It was only the morning and yet she had already felt like there was a long day ahead.

Hanging on the back of her door, a white silk robe hung on one of the wooden hooks. Its softness was amazing, the maids must have left it along with the pair of slippers that were by the edge of her closet. Speaking of the closet, it looked incredible.

All of her clothes were hung up on the wooden hangers neatly and ironed. On the side, her shoes had been aligned by the size of heel which was very small considering her height. Surprisingly, some of her shirts had been matched with other jeans and skirts. Outfits she didn’t think would look well together actually worked well now that she saw them together with her very own eyes.

Scratching her head and shoving her feet into the soft slippers, Jinri exits the bedroom and heads to the bathroom down the hall. She had remembered which bathroom had been assigned for her to use, thankfully Jongin made that clear. Knowing Taemin, he would have had something to say, as usual.

Closing her eyes every now and then still trying to fully wake up, Jinri turns the knob of the door before forcefully pushing it open. The heat of steam rushes past her and the shower door opens showing a very revealing Taemin.

“Oh god,” Jinri says quickly closing the door as she retreats her steps.

Seconds later the door opens, Taemin walking out with a towel wrapped around his lower half. His wet hair drips down his wet body, water reaching its way to the floor. He smirks happily at her appearance, her hands covering over her eyes.

“Oh please, you know you like what you see,” Taemin teases.

“T-That is not the case! Are you dressed, now? Is it safe?” She asks not budging to open her eyes.

“Maybe,” He says resting his hand on the side of the door.

Jinri grunts, “Seriously!?”

Taemin grabs her hands away from shielding her eyes, “Oh, cut it out.”

Slowly opening her eyes, it takes her a moment to take in his appearance. He was good looking indeed. He had a sharp jawline and his body was in fact fit. Maybe it was because of all the suits he had been wearing that she never realized it but it came as a surprise to her that he was able to be as decent looking as he was.

“It’s rude to stare. But if you like what you see then I don’t mind,” He says.

Jinri quickly looks away, “I need to wash up.”

About to walk right past him into the bathroom, Taemin stops her with his hand as he extends it out to reach the wall. She looks at him confused.

“It’s a quarter to 9. You’re assigned time was around 5, correct?”

“You can’t be serious, can you?”

His smirking appearance suddenly disappears into a straight face. “In fact I am.”

“I overslept alright? Is that such a bad thing?” She asks.

Taemin chuckles, “Back home, no. But in this house, yes. It’s a Saturday morning and you think oversleeping is accepted over here. No, sweetie, you’re wrong. If you’re going to stay here and be my wife then your sleeping schedule should be fixed and we won’t have problems such as these.”

Jinri crosses her arms at his lecture.

“Good luck next time,” he tells her with a wink as he allows the door to shut lock behind him. Jinri watches as his figure disappears down the long hall leaving a trail of water behind.

Sleep schedule her , Jinri was almost at her limit with this guy.


Quickly getting dressed in one of his usual suit and ties, Taemin walks casually into the dining room his eyes meeting instantly with Jinri’s taking notice of her change in clothes and hair. Bringing out French toast, eggs, bacon, and even ham the maids place the foods neatly down on the table. Jinri’s eyes widen at the large variety of food offered.

Sitting down across from Jinri and taking a napkin neatly tucking it into his shirt, Taemin picks at what he wants to put on his plate. Two pieces of bacon, a scoop of eggs, and French toast is enough for him. Noticing the sound of only his fork moving he looks to the end of the table at her.

“Are you not hungry? It’s rude if you don’t eat,” Taemin comments.

Jinri shakes her head and picks up her fork to put some of the food on her plate. Taemin watches intently as she picks at the eggs and slowly puts it into . Within three chews she swallows the food and smiles lightly, Taemin looks back at his own food unbothered.

It wasn’t that she wasn’t hungry or didn’t like the food, it’s just that she never saw so much in her life. Back at home, her mother only made eggs for breakfast or only just plain waffles. It was a miracle and only for special occasions like birthdays when both types of food were made at the same time.

“What’s on the agenda today?” Jinri asks noticing how quiet it is.

Taemin chews on his bacon before taking a short sip from his cup of coffee. He liked it black with three sugars, exactly three sugars.

“Rule 27,” He states cutting some of the French toast that he drizzled with syrup.

Jinri groans in response to his annoying and frequent reminder of his rule book or whatever those big pile of papers were.

Eating some more of the eggs, she hears shuffling from behind her. Turning around, she realizes that Jongin was as always standing there, this time he was adjusting the locks on the door, playing with them in his free time.

“Jongin, come join us,” Jinri offered.

Taemin clears his throat quickly his glare meeting with the male. Jongin remains still in his position as Jinri looks to him waiting for a response.

“No can do. Page 7, Rule 53.”

Jinri turns her head back to him and sighs. “Seriously, what is your deal?”

Jongin mentally asks, “There’s a page 7?”

Taemin places his fork and knife down, his stomach feeling full. “Again, rule number 27. I insist that you keep that book with you, it’ll save you a lot time. Look over it, perhaps.”

Getting up he goes over to the doors waiting for Jongin to push them open for him. Jinri watches as he does so and rolls her eyes at him. She was also pretty full already and not to mention completely fed up with his stupid rules.

Strolling into the foyer with the angry girl behind him, Taemin picks up his jacket and grabs a cigarette from the pack that was resting on one of the short stands by the door. Hearing her feet step hard against the floor only makes him smile more.

“This whole rule thing is not going to work, Taemin. You’ve taken it too far,” Jinri says.

The maid helps him put on his jacket as he holds the cigarette in his mouth. “This is too far? Well then you’re in for a rude awakening for the rest of your life, sweetie.”

Jinri crosses her arms. “What do I have to say for you to stop all this insanity? What am I doing wrong? What do you want me to do?”

“Leave!” Taemin exclaims annoyed. The maid steps back from him surprised by his outburst and quickly walks away once he sends her a cold glare.

Jinri remains quiet and huffs softly.

Inching closer to her, “You leaving would be the best thing you could do for me. So think about that next time you catch yourself wanting to try and make things right. Nothing will make this marriage right so just go.”

And with that being said, Taemin lights the cigarette in his mouth before heading out and slamming the door behind him. Jongin watches the silent girl remain still in her spot before hurriedly rushing back upstairs and to her room.


The sound of glass clinking against metal is overheard.

In the grand room over in the corner by the brown low engraved table, Taemin watches as the soft spoken female stirs their tea. The smell of green tea is smelt throughout the first floor of the estate.

“Thank you, Naeun.” Taemin takes the tea cup and sips it softly aware of his friends gaze on him.

The two bodyguards that went everywhere she went stood by the doors of the room silently, arms behind their straight back.

“What happened this time?” Naeun asks, sipping her tea.

“I can’t do it, I just can’t. She’s living there, now. She doesn’t know how to act or how to be. I’ve never met such a worse pick to be heiress,” Taemin complains.

Naeun places her glass cup back down on its small plate. “Taemin, she’s new to all of this. You’ve made that pretty clear.”

The male places his cup down as well and feeling a sense of defeat.

“I think you two started off on the wrong foot. I mean that whole rule book idea was pretty bad on your part, can’t you see that?” Naeun asks, folding her hands together. This time she wore black gloves that matched with her black and red floral evening gown. Her hair put up in a neat bun showcased her beauty.

“I don’t want to marry her.”

“And I’m pretty sure that after all your efforts to get her out the house she’s well aware of that. She’s not your biggest fan right now.”

Taemin sighs and gets up, “Why couldn’t I choose who I married. Isn’t that a choice for me to make?”

Naeun nods along with him. “Your grandparents must have had some sort of good feeling if they made this agreement. Either way it’s wrong but it’s nothing you can’t get through, Taemin.”

Getting up along with him she motions for the men to come and take the tea and the tea cups away. This was the only way she would be able to get a moment alone with the boy.

As soon as the two men leave, Naeun places a hand on his shoulder. “There’s only one true way for you to fix this. Apologize to the girl and try to do right.”

Taemin scoffs, “I would never do that. Why should I?”

Naeun sighs, “You’re mad at the wrong person, Taemin. She had no control over this agreement either. She’s in the same position as you are, you’re just too blinded by the anger to see it. And that’s one thing I won’t allow for you, to be blinded.”

Taemin looks at the girls, her warm eyes seeming more captivating in this moment than ever before. He exhales slowly taking in her advice.

“Start all over with her, try and find some common ground. Most importantly, apologize.”

Taemin nods, “Fine.”

Quickly before the guards come she takes the male into a warm embrace.

Resting her head on his shoulder and feeling his arms wrap tighter around her, “I thought you needed this.”

Pulling away at the sound of the footsteps from the two men, Naeun casually releases and looks past Taemin once the door is pushed open once more.

“I’ll be off then.”

As he walks off Naeun slowly trails behind him, “Don’t forget to visit me. Keep in touch, alright?”

Taemin turns back around and smiles, “Of course.”

The lady smiles a nice smile as he heads out the door.


Sitting silently in the living room on the soft couch, the packet of rules placed on the end table in front of the girl. Her eyes remained focused on it as if she could somehow magically make it disappear.

Jongin stood idly by and watched Jinri sit and do nothing. Why did his cousin make her feel this way? No one should have to go through what they’re going through, Jongin wouldn’t wish their situation on anyone. After seeing how they were treating each other it became evident that something needed to be done.

“Jongin, could you light the fireplace for me?” Jinri softly asks surprising the male.

He swiftly moves away from the door and towards the fireplace, “Of course.”

The front door opens, shuffling and footsteps are heard. Turning her head, she looks back and watches as her soon to be husband enters the room.

“Jinri, we need to talk,” The male addresses.

Jongin lights the fireplace and slowly places the lighter back where it came from, watching the scene in front of him.

Getting up off the couch in her jeans and oversized grey shirt, Jinri walks towards him.

“Yeah, we do need to. In fact I think this talk has been long overdue. Let me start,”

Taemin opens his mouth to interrupt but is quickly cut off.

“I’ve reached my limit with you, Taemin! I’ve had enough! I’ve had enough of you and your stupid rules and this stupid contract!” She yells angrily at him surprising both men in the room.

Grabbing the rule book she tears paper after paper until she scrunches it all up on the floor.

“Jinri-” Taemin tries to speak.

This time with her voice shaking a bit more, “I’ll never be the perfect wife but all I can do is try which will never be enough for you!”

Jongin exchanges a look with his cousin whose eyes remain on the girl, a different look that’s never been shown before. Some sort of sympathy.

“Consider this our talk!” Jinri says grabbing all the papers she ripped off and the balled up papers on the floor and quickly tosses them into the fire place.

“You and your rules can go to hell,” Jinri whispers to him before retreating up the stairs. Jongin flinches as she storms out while the other latter remains the same.

Watching the flames flicker around the piece of paper before completing engulfing them, it became clear for once what Taemin had done. Had he finally experienced some sort of clarity?

A/N: So this chapter was sort of intense and long. I’ve realized that I’ve only shown one side to Taemin which is the bad side so to prove to you guys that he is in fact human and is capable of feelings, I added something. Hope you enjoyed, I’ll update soon.