The Announcement

The Arranged Marriage

“Do you want to tell her?” A low female voice asks.

“I thought you were going to?” The male responds in the same low tone.

Releasing a sigh, “We’ve been over this before. You said you were going to.”

“Fine, I’ll be the one to tell her.”

 It’s silent.

“But don’t you think you should tell her, I mean you are her mother.”

The woman scoffs, “And you’re her father, have you forgotten?”

“Alright, I’ll tell her. When did she say she was coming?”

“Around 11, she should be here any minute now.”

The shuffling of keys is heard and the front door pushes open. The two adults look at each other and then at the hallway waiting for their daughter to appear.

“Mom, Dad, I’m home. I came as soon as I got your text,” the female voice calls out as shuffling noises continue. Walking into the living room of the small house, the two adults stare blankly at the girl.

“What’s going on?” the girl asks.


Seated on the couch in the small living room across from their daughter, everything fell into a pure silence. Brief glances were exchanged from the girl to her parents and they would look only to end up glancing somewhere else.

“Jinri, say something, anything.” Her mother pleads.

The girl closes her eyes for a mere second trying to process the unbelievable words that rolled off of her father’s tongue. They didn’t make sense, and they couldn’t be true.

“Could you repeat that to me? I’m not sure I heard right,” Jinri asks, folding her hands over her lap and closing her eyes once more.

Her father looks to the mother receiving a nod, “Jinri, you’re getting married.”

“WHAT!?” She yells loudly, getting up from her seat. Her mother flinches at the loud voice while her father remains still on the couch.

“This must be a joke, right? Please tell me you’re joking!” She exclaims.

“Honey, please sit down. Let us explain,” her mother pleads.

“Why can’t you tell me that this isn’t real?” Jinri asks.

“Sit down, Jinri,” Her father says in a loud voice. He exchanges a look with the young girl before she does as told and sits.

“Were just as surprised as you are, alright. I never wanted these words to leave my mouth, never ever would I want my little girl to get married.” Her father starts off.

Reaching for his hand, the mother holds onto him as her eyes get a bit teary and she whispers for him to continue.

“Before your grandfather passed away and retired from his work, he made an agreement with his boss for you to marry his grandson. We didn’t know about this until late last night when we received a letter with the signed contract as well as the details for what was to happen soon.”

Jinri remained quiet. No, it wasn’t making sense to her. Marriage? Contract? When in the world were all of these things taking place and why did it have to happen to her? Even as these words were told it was still hard for her to grasp.

Jinri’s grandfather was a steward for the Lee family. Back then, times were especially hard for Jinri’s grandfather, he was a young man who had nothing. It’s not too clear what was exact but from the pieces Jinri remembers her grandfather telling her about his youth, his parents had passed away when he was young and after he got out of the military an old man took him under his wing.

Working as a steward allowed the man to have a roof over his head, a bed, food, and experiencing some sort of luxury that others wouldn’t dare be able to say they have had. Through his work with his boss, he was able to get his life together and even met his wife also known as Jinri’s grandmother during this time.

What once was just a work relationship soon became a bond between the two men. It was then sought that later down the years that his grandchild would be well suited with his grandson since both are on a successful path and to keep the company from falling apart. Now, time was finally here for this ‘contract’ to take place.

“And there’s no way I can get out of this contract?” Jinri asks almost immediately.

“Were meeting with the family tomorrow to figure this all out, Jinri. But there are no promises, sweetie.” Jinri’s mother says getting up and going over to her daughter to rub her back.

“I can’t believe this,” Jinri mutters under her breath as she rubs her temples and lowers her head into her hands.

“Who is this guy anyway? Have I heard of him before?” Jinri asks.

Her mother nods, “Everyone’s heard of him, Jinri. He’s an heir.”

“What? Who is he?”

Lee Taemin,” her father responds.


The scent of fresh pine filled the air as the maids mopped the marble floors and staircase. Standing by the door of the study room, he starred at the shiny floor his reflection showing clearly. A smirk formed from the corner of his lips at the sight.

Hands behind his back, he strolled past the maids looking straight ahead. The two story mansion was quiet on this early day. When you did talk, you could hear the breathtaking echo from time to time. Occasionally there were guests stopping by throughout the day, or business related people who could come and stop by. However, today proved to be different.

Walking past the kitchen, the smell of baked bread tingles the young man’s nose. The cook places the neatly plated baked buns of bread on the table before starting up on supper. Before the cook begins, from the corner of his eye he spots the young master watching from the side. Quickly he bows. “Hello, Taemin. I mean, Master Lee.”

Taemin scoffs, “Get on with supper then why don’t you?”

The cook nods quickly and rushes to get the materials together needed for the meal.

Before Taemin could continue to scold he’s interrupted.

“Sir, you have a letter from Mr. Lee,” his butler informs the latter as he holds the letter in his grasp.

“If it’s about his plan to redesign then I don’t want to hear it,” Taemin says in a dismissive manner as he heads to the sitting room, the young man following behind.

Pulling open the doors to the sitting room, the windows open and the wind breezing past the white cloth that covers the view. Taemin exhales as he feels the nice breeze hit his face.

“It’s not about that. It’s regarding a girl-”

“Girl?” Taemin asks, eyebrows raised. Walking to him and taking the letter from his grasp, he sits on the white square chair. Taemin’s eyes scan through the letter before he roughly hands it back to the butler.

“Father must be at it again with his useless talk,” Taemin dismisses starring back at the view from the window. Tilting his head, he keeps a steady gaze on the sight being seen.

“This is no useless talk, Taemin. Father has found you a wife.”

Abruptly turning around, Taemin approaches the man with the dark hair, and gleaming brown eyes, grabbing him by the collar. “It’s Mr. Lee to you, cousin.”

Taking the older man’s grip off of him, the butler remains expressionless. “She’s expected to arrive tomorrow along with her family, Mr. and Mrs. Lee will be present as well.”

Taemin mentally curses as he walk back to the window. “He’s setting me up already. Why didn’t I expect the bastard to do that?”

“Shall I begin preparing the rooms for their stay?” he asks

Taemin immediately shakes his head, “No, not yet. I want you to find me some more information on this ‘girl’ my father is so eager about, a picture or something.”

Before the butler could interrupt, Taemin speaks once again over him.

“Now, I have some important business to attend to and well your work has been set up for you. I’ll be back by morning,” Taemin states before walking out of the room leaving the other dumbfounded.


A/N: Hello! So they now know of each other but how will their first meeting go?!?!? Find out in the next chapter. If you liked this chapter don't forget to subscribe and upvote, also if you have any feedback leave a comment down below. I'll update soon. Have a nice day everyone!~