The Rules

The Arranged Marriage

The next morning arrived quickly.

In a small brown suitcase placed on the bed was folded clothes, shoes, pictures, and even some pieces of jewelry. The once lightly packed small bedroom was now a little more spacious and clear. Although there wasn’t much of a difference, Jinri felt the biggest one of all. All her memories in this room, this house, she was leaving them behind for some new house she would never truly feel able to call her home.

Placing the last folded skirt she had in her closet, Jinri pulls down the cover of the suitcase and zippers it up. This was it, the last step. Turning around she looked at the empty white walls, empty closet, and clear dresser. Her heart sunk and she felt like she was on the verge of tears. A light knock takes her out of her trance.

Mrs. Choi softly pushes open the door and slowly inches her way by her daughter’s side on the bed. Jinri keeps her head up and gaze straight ahead on the blank wall. Mrs. Choi the young girl’s loose strands of hair behind her ear as her eyes get teary as well.

“I knew one day that I would leave this place, but I didn’t think it would be today.”

Jinri’s mother nods along to her words.

“What am I supposed to do, mom? I don’t know how to be a wife, how to be an heir’s wife. I’ve never felt so unprepared about anything in my life,” Jinri states her voice shaky.

“Sweetie, you will learn how to do all of those things. And knowing you I have no doubt in my mind that you will be the best wife and heiress there has ever been.”

Mrs. Choi watches as a tear falls freely down her daughter’s cheek, the same tear suddenly falling down her own.

“I’m scared,” Jinri admits.

Her mother rubs her back, “I know, and that’s okay. But I can assure you that everything will be fine, I know everything will work out just fine.”

Quickly Jinri turns to her mother and softly wraps her in a hug.

“Why do I feel like this is a goodbye?” Jinri asks more tears falling.

“Because it is for right now. But I want you to know that you will always be my little girl, even as heiress or wife you’ll always be my baby. I’m proud of the girl you are today and I’ll be even more proud of the woman you become. Jinri, don’t look at this like it’s the end for you, just think of it as the beginning to something beautiful. Promise me you’ll keep that positive mindset,” Her mother insists.

Jinri nods her head, “I promise.”

Placing the small suitcase into the back of the car, Mr. Choi had promised to be the one to drop off Jinri at the Lee’s. Giving her mother one last hug and being told to call her when she got there, Jinri finally made it into the car and was set to take off. With the start of the engine, Jinri watched as her old home and mother become a faint view of her past.


“Checkmate!”

The soft faced girl exhales a grunt as she tries to figure out where she went wrong in the game. Her long straight brown hair matched her soft brown eyes and delicate facial features. In a mid-length floral dress paired with white hand gloves she looked stunning as always.

Located in the south wing of the large estate, the two young adults found their time spent together being used on a game of chess. The wide open space area included large windows that were all slightly open to allow some air in. Flower pots of all the sorts were around each corner of the room as well as two or three bookcases. In the middle was the chess table where the two fond beings sat quietly.

“Perhaps your tendency to overlook things is your problem,” the male comments.

She rolls her eyes at him and scoffs, “You cheated!”

The male chuckles, crossing his arms over his chest.

“Admit it, Taemin! You cheated!” she says a little louder now.

Taemin smirks, “Fine, if it makes you feel better I’ll admit to that lie. I cheated.”

The girl her teeth at his annoying arrogance.

Setting up the pieces of the game exactly as they were at the beginning of the math, Taemin carefully looks at all the pieces trying to decide his first move.

“So, tell me what’s brought you here on this early afternoon?” She asks.

“Naeun, can’t I come and visit one of my favorite girls?”

The girl squints her eyes at him, “You can’t fool me, Mr. Lee. I’ve known you long enough to know when something isn’t right.”

And that was true. Naeun was introduced to Taemin years ago, both of their families come from royalty. Naeun is daughter of Anna Son who is also known along the lines of being part royalty. Being close in age and having such a high status it’s no wonder that these two have met.

Moving one of the black pawn pieces, Taemin waits and watches carefully for the lady to make her next move. She moves one of her pieces on the far right while remaining with a steady stare on the male.

“Does your sudden visit have anything to do with the front page of yesterday’s newspaper?” She inquires.

Taemin remains quiet as it is his turn to go. A serious expression and strict manner shows more than he could say.

“My suspicions are accurate. Who is this new ‘wife’?” Naeun further asks.

“She’s not my wife,” He defiantly states causing the lady to smile.

“Of course, not yet.” Naeun leans over the table for a better look before she moves another piece.

Checking his watch, Taemin realizes that he must leave soon. Rubbing his chin gently he then watches the girl play her next move ever so carefully. Without notice, Naeun observes the young males manner.

“You’ll be alright Taemin. You always have been, not even this stunt will get in your way, alright?” She says knowing the right words to say for him to hear. She had the tendency to do that, tell people what they wanted to hear, even if she didn’t entirely agree with it.

Getting up from his seat, he goes over to the girl and places a chaste kiss on her soft cheek. “You do always know what to say.”

“So I’ve been told. Let me you out,” She says with the assistance of his to help her get out and lead the way to the front door.

“I’ll see you once more this week, I’ll make sure to let you know beforehand,” Taemin announces. Naeun smiles in gratitude.

“That would be wise. I shall see you then,” She says as her male guards open the door for the leaving male.

Making his way down the steps, Naeun watches as he heads to his car and pulls out the driveway. He sends her a smile and she returns the favor with a grin and a blowing kiss. Once his car leaves the lot, she turns back around to retreat inside the home, the two guards closing the glass door behind her.


Watching her father pull out of the parking spot and slowly drive back, Jinri stands quietly outside of her now home with a brown suitcase by her side.

Exhaling a deep sigh, Jinri mentally prepares herself for the new life that would begin in a matter of seconds. Slowly knocking on the door, she steps back a bit feeling as if she’s already too close to facing the truth.

Within the moment, the front door is pulled open revealing the quiet guy she had seen many times during her last visits. Wearing the usual black suit and tie and same blank expression, he clears his throat.

“Hello Mrs. Choi, come in,” He says backing away for her to enter. Picking up the suitcase, he quickly takes it from her grasp and carries it inside himself. She mumbles a thank you as she enters the large house, her breath still being taken away as she is captivated by its beauty.

“Is Mr. and Mrs. Lee here?” Jinri asks softly standing in her usual spot she did whenever she came to visit.

“The Lee’s went back to Paris last night, something urgent came up. I believe they should return sometime during the week.” He answers.

Jinri nods and looks around, the house was too quiet, it was missing that familiar voice that she was sure no one could manage to forget.

“And Taemin, I mean Mr. Lee?” Jinri questions.

“He’s out at the moment,” The male answers simple.

Jinri nods and remains still in her spot, her fingers beginning to fidget with the others, a habit she did whenever she wasn’t sure what to do or nervous. The butler remains with a steady stare on the young lady.

“My apologies, I haven’t properly introduced myself. I’m Jongin but you may call me whatever you like. I am the butler of Mr. Lee and yourself.”

Jinri awkwardly smiles and nods, “It’s nice to meet you, Jongin.”

“Shall I you to your room as well as give you a tour of the rest of the house?” He kindly asks.

With a more reassuring smile and the same nod, Jinri follows behind the tall male, “Sure.”


The house was bigger than Jinri could even imagine. Going up the soft marble steps and onto the second floor, wide and long hallways were present and many doors along these long halls were shown.

Down the main hall and onto your right, Jongin lead the lady to where her room would be for the current time being. Turning the knob of the wooden door, Jongin revealed the guest room in which Taemin assigned for Jinri to be staying.

Its pure white walls were much bigger than her own back at her house, the tiling of the floor was wooden and its beauty was undeniable. A master bed placed in the middle of the room with satin white sheets and brown pillowcases. Two dressers occupied the left side of the room, and the closet space was huge enough to pack around ten people.

A wide window was in the middle of the room as well as a brown sitting chair that looked to be around a couple of years old. A small bookcase sat idly by one of the brown wooden dressers.

Jinri’s mouth hung low as she looked around the room. Jongin watched her as he placed her suitcase on the bed. She seemed captivated by her surroundings.

“It’s beautiful, really,” She said going by the window and watching the view of the pond that was further down from the house and the front of the house which looked upon the entrance. Jongin neatly placed the wooden hangers that had been left on the dresser into the closet.

“The maids will set up your closet for you shortly,” Jongin states. The girl turns around to him, her eyes still a bit widened.

“There’s no need, I can do that myself.”

“Mrs. Lee insists that you be treated properly here. I’ve been assigned to make sure of that.”

Jinri nods knowing that there was no need to constantly insist on something that would never work out in her favor.

“Please, let me show you the rest of the house.” Jongin insists standing by the door. Jinri nods and follows along out of the nice bedroom.

Down the same main hall there were three other doors. One was the bathroom which all people could use, Taemin had his own bathroom in his own room. The next door was revealed to be the study room. There were two study rooms, one on each floor. The next room on this same hall was the office. It was supposedly Taemin’s personal room which only he had a key to, hence, Jongin referred to it as being off limits.

Jinri lost count of just how many rooms there were in this large mansion. From a gym to a gallery, a library to a game room, a sitting area to another study room, the garden to the tea room, there was so much yet to be discovered.

Reaching the sitting room, Jinri walked behind Jongin as he told her about the history of the house. His voice belonged to one of those realtors, he spoke with such depth you would think he’s selling the house himself.

“Now this room was originally the bedroom of Mr. Lee when he was a child. However, due to the constant amount of paparazzi that had been present when he was first born, these window did little to no help of shielding the young boy so it was soon turned into a sitting room for whenever guests or the Lee’s themselves just needed a place to think or rest.”

Jinri looks at the view of the bright green grass and tall trees that shook softly. Taller and bigger houses were seen farther out there. Jongin stood quietly by the girl’s side, his mind probably caught slipping away as well.

Looking up to him, she tilts her head gently. The tall man realizes it and looks to her, her brown orbs capturing his rather quickly. Mrs. Lee was right, she was a beauty.

“What is it?” He asks.

Jinri clears , “Nothing. I-I’m just thinking.”

Jongin smirks, “Yes, this room does make people do that.”

“When I first met you, you were very quiet. I’m just surprised that you talk is all, your voice is not exactly what I had imagined it to be,” Jinri explains.

“I see.” He simply says keeping his gaze back on the view in front of him.

“Do you like it here?” Jinri asks.

Jongin tilts his head, “It’s enough for me.”

Jinri smirks, “Now, that wasn’t the question.”

The male turns his back to her, “Yes, I like it here.”

She nods along to his answer, “Okay.”

The sound of the door opening and closing is heard. The girls heart jumps at the sound, she knew all too well who that could have been. Now it was time for her to face the music and meet her soon to be husband.


                                                                                                                                              

Adjusting his cuff links, Taemin strolls into the silent house immediately greeted by one of the servants to take his jacket for him.

Coming out from the living room area, Jongin meets with the older male followed by the girl behind him. Taemin’s eyes meet the quiet girls ones who seemed to be unaffected by his strong gaze.

“Jinri, right?” He asks going near her.

She nods as he takes her hand and places a peck on it, “It’s very nice to see you again.” Jongin remains hushed as the two young adults meet with each other. This time there were no parent’s around, no older adult telling you what to say or how to feel, it was truly up to them as to how their lives would play out from this moment on.

“I assume you gave her the tour and showed her the room?” Taemin asks towards the tan man.

“Of course, Sir.”

Jinri looks at Jongin recognizing his very formal speech towards Taemin. A true gentleman he was, but how long had he been this way?

“I see, very well then. I suppose it’s my turn.” Taemin says rubbing his hands together. “Follow me,” He tells the two people who just go along with it.

Taking the conversation into the study room, Taemin assists Jinri to sit on the couch as he walks over to the desk on the far right. Jongin studied the lady’s confused expression which he as well felt, just what was Taemin doing?

Holding a thick pile of papers and with a smile on his face, Taemin holds out the papers in front of the silent girl. Her eyes look at the paper and then at him who remains with his hand output and smiling. Hesitantly she takes hold of the papers and reads in the small black print, “Rules for Mrs. Choi to abide by...”

“What exactly is this?” Jinri asks flipping onto the next page with even more small black printed words extending towards the end of the page.

“It’s the rules you will need to follow in order to enjoy your stay here,” Taemin says plopping himself on the seat in front of her. Watching her flustered expression made his heart skip with joy.

“Rules? “Don’t stand in the foyer or you will be fined, No guests, you must use the washroom before 5am as it will be locked at 6am”, don’t you think these rules are a bit ridiculous?” Jinri asks her eyes widening at the sight of these extreme regulations.

Taemin squints his eyes at her words, “Check page 2, Rule 27,”

Jinri swiftly turns the page and looks for the assigned rule, her mind more confused than ever. “Rule 27: Don’t question Mr. Lee Taemin,”

Taemin smiles even more as he watches her huff angrily, motioning for Jongin to get him a drink he sits comfortably in front of the lady feeling a sense of happiness.

“Now this is just insane. We are human beings, one of our many instincts is to question things!” Jinri exclaims annoyed.

Jongin gives his cousin the drink feeling a bit sad for the lady who is being greeted in such a foolish way. It never made sense to him how Taemin could act this way towards others.

“Well then I insist that you figure out what to do about that. Is there anything else you have a problem with?”

Jinri nods, “Uh how about this whole packet. Like what do you even mean-”

Taemin cuts her off when he closes his eyes and whispers, “Uh-uh, Rule 27.”

Jinri scoffs as she gets up and storms out of the room and towards her own. Taemin watches her leave with a wide grin on his face, “You might want to get some sleep, you have to be up before 5am,” he teasingly calls out.

Jongin watches the irritated girl leave and looks back to the male, “Why did you do that?”

“Hey, Rule 27 applies to you as well.”

Taking a gulp of the remainder of his drink, he wipes his mouth with the sleeve of his shirt. “You know, I think that went quite well.”

Upstairs, Jinri slams the door behind her as she finally reaches her room. Its quiet atmosphere made her feel like there was at least a chance for her to calm down. Walking over to the brown sitting chair by the window, she rests her body on it as she holds her head in her hands.

Her hair flipping over her face, she swiftly raises herself back up again, the long locks going back as well. “You can do this, Jinri” she told herself. Repeating this to herself over and over again, it was the only thing keeping her from going insane and regretting the moment she walked into the house.

A/N: Jinri’s finally moved in and Taemin is being a bit of a jerk L let’s see how their lives turn out now that they are officially moved in with each other. I’ll update soon.