The Apology

The Arranged Marriage

He paced slowly back and forth in the room. In the sitting room, the house remained silent on this fine afternoon. His chest was out and he prevailed with a head held high. Just what was his next action going to be?

“Is she even awake?” Taemin asks continuing his stroll.

Jongin nods, “The maids had noted that she indeed is awake.”

“She skipped breakfast?”

“She said she wasn’t hungry,” Jongin answers.

“But she didn’t eat dinner last night. How could she not be hungry?”

“I’m not sure.”

Taemin rubbed his chin trying to come up with some sort of idea to get Jinri out of her room. After their argument yesterday it became apparent just how upset she really was. It was a shock to both men, but more importantly a wakeup call of some sort.

“Well, I must speak to her.” Taemin heads to the nearest chair to rest his body on.

That was indeed true. Mr. and Mrs. Lee would visit sometime today as well as other guests they had mentioned would be coming along. The atmosphere in this house was not good, and a talk was very much needed.

“Tell her to come down, say anything to get her down here,” Taemin commands.

“Lie to her?” Jongin asks.

Taemin exhales at the males comment. “Must you question everything you’re told?”

Jongin gulps as he turns around to do as told. This left Taemin to think of just how their talk could go down.


Resting with her legs to her chest on the brown chair in her room, Jinri remained silent as she stared out her window. Something about the view made her mind relax and her thoughts clearer than before, like some kind of magic it felt like.

The door to the room is gently knocked upon, not startling or bothering the young girl. Tilting her head she says loudly, “Come in.”

Turning the knob and pushing open the door, Jongin slowly enters inside the tidy room. Looking at her he realized that she managed to get dress, which was much better than before when she was still in bed dressed in her nightgown.

“You should come downstairs,” Jongin says keeping his gaze on the floor. He wasn’t usually the one to lie, it wasn’t like him. Even when his cousin insisted it, he just couldn’t do it.

“And why is that? To see him? I rather not,” She responds simply.

Jongin exhales as he gets his thoughts together. “You can’t do this. Avoid him forever.”

“Can’t I try?”

“You two will be living here together which includes the many chances of seeing each other. I know that my cousin can be arrogant and rude but in the end he will still be your husband.”

“Thank you for reminding me, Jongin.”

The male sighs feeling a sense of defeat. Was it even possible for her to get out the room?

“Please come downstairs, Jinri.”

The girls head turns to him. Her eyes instantly meeting his pleading ones. This was the first time she had ever heard her name being called from his mouth. It was surprising since she never expected him to address her like that. It was different.

“Fine,” She agrees getting up and slowly making her way out of the bedroom.


Walking into the foyer with hushed steps, Taemin catches sight of the expected girl along with his butler. It was a small accomplishment that she was finally free from her room, one that Taemin was silently pleased about.

Reaching the last of the steps, Jinri stares at him blankly as he motions for their conversation to be carried on in the sitting room. Jongin follows silently behind the lady thinking of how this meeting will go.

Sitting down on one of the chairs by the window, Taemin motions for Jinri to do the same. Plopping herself down with her arms crossed, Jinri sits across from the older male.

“I’m surprised you left your room.”

“I’m already regretting it.”

Taemin smirked. The girl had some fire to her, it was one quality that stood out to him the most. Out of all the things he disliked, this managed to not make it onto the list. That was a good thing.

“I don’t usually do this but it’s become clear that this is needed,”

Jinri raises her eyebrow intrigued and confused by his words.

“Late yesterday afternoon, I was open to the idea that my actions have not been the exact best this week,” he says folding his hands over the other.

Jinri squinted her eyes, was this his way of apologizing?

“I think it’s best if we find some common ground and maybe start over again.”

Jinri couldn’t believe what she was hearing. Starting over? Common ground? Was this even really Taemin? As much as she wanted to do these things, there was still some part of her that didn’t want to even bother with the guy, but she couldn’t listen to that part of her.

“I agree,”

Taemin smiles at her positive words towards his speech.

“First things first, the rule book must go. All those rules, they must no longer exist,”

Taemin scoffs, “I think you made sure of that last night.”

Jinri unexpectedly chuckles at the thought of her own actions, “I guess I did get a little too carried away.”

Taemin squints his eyes at her, maybe she was insane?

“And the time for the showers, that has to go too. Who wakes up before 5am?” Jinri asks.

Taemin his teeth, “That rule was a good one.”

Jinri waits patiently for a better answer.

Taemin looks to Jongin who stares blankly back at him. “Fine.”

Jinri smiles feeling some sort of happiness from this. Even though he didn’t exactly apologize, putting the end to his ridiculous rules was better than nothing.

Jongin could only be shocked at how bendable his cousin was being. Taemin never made any agreements or deals with anyone else that wasn’t business related. What was making him change because of this one girl?

Jinri smiles while the male looks exhausted over their negotiations.

Rising from his seat, “Now that this has been taken care of, I’ll be in my office unbothered.”

Jinri gets up as well watching the young male head towards the doors to leave.

 “When my parent’s come tell them of my whereabouts.” He tells Jongin who opens the door for him to leave.

“Mr. and Mrs. Lee are coming?” Jinri asks Jongin as Taemin has already left the room and is going up the stairs.

A light knock on the front door is heard. Jongin looks back and then at the girl.

“Perhaps they’re already here.”


“Jinri!” Mrs. Lee greets excitedly as Jongin pulls open the door to let in the expecting guests. Mr. Lee puts out his cigar before walking in, a young lady following behind the two adults.

Jinri is welcomed with a warm hug from the older woman and smiles at the sight of her. Mrs. Lee was always so kind to her even though they met under complicated circumstances the woman still managed to treat Jinri well.

“I know that we left without notice, oh, how is the house? Are you enjoying your stay? Is there anything we need to change?” Mrs. Lee begins rambling out.

“Let the girl breathe,” Mr. Lee says from behind as he gives one of the maids his suit jacket. “Jinri, it’s nice seeing you again.”

Jinri releases a huff and smiles, “It’s nice seeing you both again.”

The young tall thin woman behind the two adults stands still in her place. She had jet black long hair that was styled sleek back, a pale skin complexion, her features were very soft and her eyes were a deep brown. She wore a violet sheath dress paired with black high heels which matched with the accessory’s she had on.

“Pardon my bad manners, Jinri there is someone we would like you to meet,” Mrs. Lee starts off backing away and motioning for the tall sophisticated woman to come over.

The woman strides over towards the others, had she been a super model?

Extending out her arm towards the younger one, she smiles gently. “I’m Victoria Song but you can call me Victoria.”

Jinri shakes hand with the woman, her touch so soft it surprised the girl. In the back of her mind Jinri could only imagine if this person was human or not.

“Jinri, Victoria will be your personal stylist from now on,” Mrs. Lee announces happily as she claps her hands together.

A stylist? Actually, Personal stylist? Jinri only knew these words as they were often used when referring to celebrities or a person of higher status. It hadn’t hit her that she was becoming one of those type of people.

Looking her up and down and eyeing out certain parts, Victoria nodded her head. “What size are you in shoes, dear?”

Jinri shrugged, “I think an 8.”

Victoria quickly corrects, “8 ½. Hmm, I think I have my work cut out for me.” Crossing her arms she exchanges one of the picture perfect smiles to the Lee’s, the smile that Jinri only saw models with.

Jinri wasn’t too far off with that thought. The 27 years old woman had done some modeling gigs here and there, yet her passion for fashion was something she decided to set her mind on. Today, Victoria is now recognized as one of the best stylist out there, mostly noted for working with Kate Middleton, Victoria Beckman, and even other A-list idols.

“I know this may be a silly question but why exactly would I need a stylist now? Isn’t the wedding months from now?” Jinri questions softly.

Mr. Lee chuckles, “The wedding is soon but you must meet some of the guests beforehand, correct?”

Jinri slowly nods her hand in understanding while Mrs. Lee agrees with her husband.

“You must meet the business partners, relatives and others who are of the same status. Why, you’ve already received more than a dozen invitations to social gatherings.”

Jinri’s eyes widen even more. It was shocking to hear that people were already wanting to meet her under such a short time period that everything’s happened. Suddenly her heart beat was getting faster.

“Due to this we will also like to inform you about your lessons in royal etiquette that will start rather sooner than later.”

“Etiquette lessons?” Jinri mutters.

“Correct. The same man that taught me those many years ago is now spending his years on some beach somewhere in Italy, so I’m afraid you won’t receive the exact same training as I but don’t fret, we found the second best trainer for you, dear.”

Swiftly strolling over towards the front door and folding her arms with the young males arm she smiles a grand smile. “Kim Jongin will be your teacher for the time being.”

Jongin looks down at the old lady and then back up at Jinri. Her expression more confused than ever before, he adjusts his back to an even straighter position.

“Why this young man here knows everything there is needed to know, I’m sure he’ll do his best in teaching you what is needed. Right?”

“Of course, Mrs. Lee.”

Mr. Choi realizes the silent from Jinri and quickly try’s to adjust the current mood. “This all may sound like a lot but it really isn’t, I can assure you that everything will be fine.”

“When will these lessons take place? I do have school too,” Jinri asks.

“Ah yes, I’ve sent Jongin the schedule which works well with your personal own. Everything is set and will work out perfectly fine.”

Jinri exhales as she takes in all the new information. Lessons and personal stylist, this was no big deal she tried to think to herself. The amount of change that was happening within a week was shocking and required more time to adjust to.

“Everything is going to be fine. I’m sure of it.” Mrs. Lee repeats once more as if anyone else needed convincing.


The sudden hollow echo of knuckles rapping on the door startles the young man in his office. Getting up from his desk, Taemin makes way towards the door prepared for whoever it may be. Mr. Lee enters once Taemin backs away for him to come inside, swiftly closing the door behind.

The room was wide and spacious. Its deep brown colored walls had matched along with the same old style the house had originally begun with. There was a pool table in the middle of the room, sitting chairs placed around as well as small bookshelves.

Taemin strolled back to his chair placed in front of the wooden desk that had piles of paper on it and a glass cup of scotch right nearby. Behind the desk was locked cabinets full of more documents and important papers the heir decided needed protection.

“Is mother here?” Taemin asks placing a long page letter under another file of printed out documents.

“Yes along with Victoria.”

Taemin’s eyes trail off of his paper and onto his fathers. “Ms. Song has come all the way from China to visit us?”

“Europe, actually. And she’s not just paying some visit, she’ll be here frequently as she is aiding Jinri for the upcoming social gatherings.”

Taemin lets out a groan, “And what special occasions do you have planned for her already? It’s less than a week and you’re already throwing her out there.”

Mr. Lee chuckles as he reaches for the hidden bottle of whiskey on one of the bookshelves. Taking an empty glass that rested on the brown end table next to a scattered pile of Times magazines he pours himself some of it.

“Jongin will teach what is expected of her. I can safely assume that you will model perfect behavior as well.”

“Sure,” Taemin simply answers not fully paying any mind to his father.

Mr. Lee stares at his son as he takes a nice long gulp from the small glass cup. his lips, he places the cup down on Taemin’s desk right on top of the paperwork he had been so focused on.

This causes Taemin to look up and once their eyes meet it’s clearer than before the tension that has already been built up.

“I trust that you are doing what is expected of you as well, son.”

Taemin relaxes his back in the chair, crossing his hands over his lap. “Indeed, father.”

Mr. Lee has a steady stare on the boy before looking away and heading towards the door. “Dinner will start in a few, be down in 10.”

Taemin smiles as the man leaves but once he closes the door behind him his smile has now faded. Picking up the glass cup and moving it off of the paper, Taemin stares at the now wet circle creased on the very important document.

With the sign of his signature, Taemin quickly shuffles past the paper and onto the next document. This was a routine of his that had been continuous for years, one that he would be used to for the rest of his life. On the last document in big printed red letters was the word, “Terminated.” Taemin casually looked at it and then past it. It meant nothing now, it was nothing now.

 

A/N: Tada, how’d you like it? I was feeling lazy today when I wrote this so if there is any mistakes my apologies. I’ll update soon!