Monster

Winter Sunset
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 9: Monster (20,300 words) 

"Monster"- Imagine Dragons 

If I told you what I was,
Would you turn your back on me?
And if I seem dangerous,
Would you be scared?
I get the feeling just because,
Everything I touch isn't dark enough
If this problem lies in me

A/N: Oops, sorry this is SUPER long. :) But! Most of your questions should be answered more or less ;) Also there will probably be a Monster Part 2 

    Mingyu slammed his fist against the solid wall of the isolation cell. Everything had been going so well. He had been living in the lie and for the first time in his life, loving the world it created. The normal one. Unlike most of his kind, he had never wanted to be normal. Even with his persistent  problem with self control, he had never hated what he was. He never blamed what he was either. A bomb can't start a war; the person who fires it  can. 

 

    Really, in the past several years, he had managed to get his anger management issues under decent control. He still had outbursts, but they usually only occurred when absolutely necessary. The episodes had been far apart and infrequent. Then came Jeon Wonwoo. 

 

    Camp had always been a sanctuary for Mingyu. It was challenging as hell, but the constant anxiety that he might hurt someone wasn't there. He loved the way he was, and the part of camp where he was forced to live normally was difficult. Yet, he knew the purpose of it and loved the after effect. The dampeners were like that. The 24-7 dosage had always left him completely normal and helpless like any other human. Then came Jeon Wonwoo. 

 

    In hindsight, the punishment he'd received had been extremely merciful. Although he wasn't thinking it at the time, the short beating and two days of isolation were much less than he deserved for the crimes he had committed. He had exposed himself and attacked one of his own, somehow bypassing the system they had put into place hundreds of years ago. He wasn't sure if they had gone easy on him because of who he was, or if the confusion behind how the crime had happened had made the judge go easy on him. Seungcheol thought it was because of how quickly Wonwoo's awakening would be happening. 

 

    On top of Mingyu's potent need to protect the older boy, something about Wonwoo himself stirred Mingyu to the core. Never before in his life had he felt so on edge, so ready to pounce. On the other hand, he'd never been happier than when he was with Wonwoo. But he'd probably ed that up. All he wanted was to forget the rest of his life and run off into normalcy with Wonwoo. But soon Wonwoo would be into this crazy confusing hell of a life. Mingyu cringed at the thought. 

 

    Mingyu loved his life because it was the only life for him. Sure, he was smart but he never did very well in school. School was far too boring and far too much busy work. Mingyu needed action; he needed to be different to succeed. He was driven by the fact that only he could accomplish the goal. Wonwoo wasn't like that. Wonwoo was incredibly charming in the most unconventional ways. He was far too pure for the world. More than that, he was infinitely too pure for the other World, Mingyu’s reality.

     Mingyu felt himself smiling and the tears in his heart widening as he thought back to the subtle blush that had been present on Wonwoo's cheeks as he removed his shirt the day they swam in the creeks. He wasn't sure if he wanted to cry or smile or scream. What would Wonwoo do when he found out the truth? 

 

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

 

 

    His time in isolation was almost over. They had only given him partial dampeners since the isolation cells didn't allow for anyone to do anything anyways. The fact that they gave him any dampener at all definitely answered one of Mingyu's questions: they did in fact fear him. And probably with good reason. 

 

    As night fell, Mingyu could see the dampeners and the cell weren't quite working well enough. Every wound he had received from the beating was pretty much healed, albeit slightly slower than normal, but still... The worry stirred in Mingyu's empty burning stomach. He could tell something bad was on the way. He didn't know why they'd starve him if they were treating him like a caged animal. Animals are dramatically more dangerous when they're hungry. Thus, so was Mingyu.

 

    However, there was no food Mingyu craved, rather someone much more human. He just wanted to see Wonwoo for himself. He needed to know the smaller boy was safe. Just because Seungcheol said he would take care of him, that didn't mean Wonwoo was safe. Seungcheol was powerful, especially with Jeonghan by his side, but that didn't mean he could protect the boy who practically chased danger. The boy that danger itself lusted after and tried to covet for its own.

 

    Mingyu allowed himself to wish, rather than being able to walk into the sunset humanly with Wonwoo, that maybe after Wonwoo's awakening they might be able to be like Seungcheol and Jeonghan. Mingyu knew that this wish wasn't very pratical either. Everyone, especially Seungcheol, told him to not hope for that. Seungcheol told him to, on the other hand, run far away. Mingyu knew that couldn't be good; Seungcheol was always right. 

 

    Yet, all Seungcheol would tell him was that he should stay away. Seungcheol obviously knew that wouldn't happen, yet he still refused to provide any reasoning as to why. Before he even got here, Seungcheol had warned Mingyu that the boy who was coming was someone he couldn't associate himself with. Seungcheol had even apologized to Mingyu for taking Wonwoo on his team. It concerned him. Why did none of the other team leaders want to take Wonwoo. What were they all seeing that Mingyu couldn't know? Wonwoo seemed to be the most harmless being they'd encountered in a long time.

 

    The questions weren't helping to clam Mingyu down. The stirring anxiety slithered down his spine, and Mingyu tried to guess how many more hours he would have to remain in the cell. He could feel the future sneaking in on him like a dark hooded figure. Yet the dark hooded figure was moving towards Wonwoo. He had no foresight, but he could still know that something bad was coming. 

 

    He got up and started pacing, he assumed it was near midnight. Technically he didn't get released until 7AM the next morning, but on the other hand, he WAS supposed to get released today. He could feel his skin burning, the anxiety just continuing to build as he tried to calm himself down. It wasn't working. 

 

 

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

 

    His escape had been a blur. As foggy as his mind was at this point, he knew two things. As he was wondering through the forest, most of his thoughts were purely occupied with the thought of getting to Wonwoo, a much smaller and much foggier part of his mind was terrified. Of himself. He never should have been able to get out. Something was very wrong with him. It's one thing to be a monster among humans; it's another thing to be a monster among monsters. 

 

    Though the night was pitch black and completely silent, he could see and hear perfectly. It was as if the entire camp was laid out in a blueprint before him. He knew where every cabin was located, he could hear the breath of every guard, he could hear every step of his own and took extra care to make as little noise as possible. It was no surprise he had made it to the cabin easily. Inside the cabin, he could hear a soft rustling. From the loudness of the steps and the clutzy nature of the gate, he knew it was Wonwoo that was up immediately. 

 

    It made his heart leap knowing that the other was awake right now as well. Was this the danger he had felt coming? He knew that he had to get Wonwoo quickly. Seungcheol was an extremely difficult person to bypass and speed would be his only weapon unless Seungcheol was just being incredibly merciful and not religiously following the rules like normal. Merciful Seungcheol was not something Mingyu would be relying on. He slipped through the door, eyes seeing straight through the dark to the beautiful boy in the baggy sweats and t-shirt. As quick and soundless as he could manage, Mingyu grabbed Wonwoo and pulled him out of the cabin. 

 

    He realized by both the rapid beating of his heart and basic common sense that covering Wonwoo's mouth and not allowing him to know who had removed him from the cabin was probably not the nicest idea. He had tried to reveal his identity or at least calm Wonwoo down slightly by cracking a small teasing joke. Yet, Mingyu knew he couldn't afford for Wonwoo to make noise if he wanted to get away unseen. Thus he had to continue to sacrifice Wonwoo's peace of mind for the sake of furtivity.  

 

    Mingyu quickly realized that listening to the erratic beating of Wonwoo's heart had distracted him from listening for guards. The click of a flashlight was enough to snap him out of his haze. He saw a tree and spun Wonwoo against it, concealing them both under a weeping willow and using his body to push Wonwoo against the tree and also block Wonwoo form making noise. He could tell Wonwoo was confused and afraid so he soft ran his hand down Wonwoo's head and whispered a small shh. 

 

    The feelings that were evoked due to the close proximity of the object of his admiration could have been an issue for his rapidly heating body, but the pounding of Wonwoo's heart was a more prominent problem for Mingyu. It physically hurt him that Wonwoo was afraid, but he could do nothing about it until the guards had passed. He hadn't come this far to just get them both into more trouble. 

 

    When they finally were out of hearing range enough for Mingyu to speak, he whispered the all clear to Wonwoo. As Wonwoo's shaking grew rather violent, Mingyu pushed himself off of Wonwoo immediately. Instead just looking down and admiring the older, giving him complete access to see who had taken him. Mingyu almost laughed at Wonwoo's eye-rolling reaction. He did smile at the way Wonwoo seemed to melt into his hold now that he knew it was him. His heart rate slowed. Still, the innocent boy would play it off of course and try to push Mingyu away. Mingyu wouldn't allow for that. He grabbed Wonwoo's arm. "I missed you. I was... worried about you. I needed to know you were okay." His very honest and raw explanation was the best apology he could offer. 

 

    But then reality s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter