Prologue 1: Happy Birthday

Sleeping Dino

"Dangerous

The girl is so dangerous

Take away my money

Throw away my time...."

 

Humming to his favourite artist's song, Chan looked at the mirror and smiled. 

'Finally today my dream comes true!'

He giggled at his thought and walked out of the bathroom to grab his favourite dinosaur Dooly T-shirt.

"Honey, come down after you change your clothes." Chan's mum knocked his door.

"Yes, omma. Will be there in seconds." Chan quickly put on his clothes and opened the door.

A familiar smell ran into his noses once he opened the door. 

'It is omelette rice!!!'

Quickly he ran down the stairs and into the kitchen.

"Good morning, omma!" He hugged his mum who was busy cooking the omelette.

"Good morning and happy birthday, my Chanie!" Mrs. Lee hugged him back.

 

Yes, today was his 4th birthday. And today he would have his first birthday party in his house. And he invited his neighbourhood friends to his first birthday party. 

 

"Thank you, omma!" Chan kissed his mother's cheek and loosened his hug.

"Where is appa?" He looked over the dining table which were full of ingredients and snacks.

"Appa is at the backyard! Go find your appa and ask him to eat breakfast!"

"Yes, omma!" He opened the backdoor and ran towards his father, "Appa!!!!"

Mr. Lee laughed at his adorable son who was running towards him.

"Good morning, son and happy birthday!" He patted his son's head and made Chan grinning cheerfully.

"Thank you, appa and good morning!" Chan gave his father a morning kiss on cheek, "Omma said the breakfast is ready."

"Okay!" Mr. Lee replied and kneeled down in front of Chan, "Prince Chan, let me give you a piggyback ride to the kitchen."

The small boy climbed up his dad's back and said;" Make way to our favourite omelette rice!"

The father and son laughed and they went into the house.

 

 

After they finished their breakfast, Mr. Lee told Chan to stay in his bedroom to play. Chan insisted he wanted to help his parents for preparation but his parents rejected by telling him, "Chan, if you help us, your birthday wish will not come true." Mrs. Lee said and winked to her husband secretly. 

Mr. Lee winked and helped his wife, "Yes, a birthday boy shouldn't help to prepare his own birthday party. If he do so, whatever he wish will not come true. Channie, do you want your wish to not come true?" Mr. Lee gave Chan a puppy look.

Chan widened his eyes and shook his head vigorously, "NO!!!!"

"So go and play. We will tell you when we are ready." The parents watched their son climbing up the stairs.

After they heard the closing sound of the door, they sighed a relief.

 

In his room, Chan climbed up his bed and looked at his dinosaur plushie.

"Dino, do you know what is today date?" He started to talk with his plushie and made the plushie to shake its head.

"Today is 11th February, it is my birthday!" He grinned and push mouth of plushie into a wide smile.

"Hap-pi Birt-day-i-, Chan-ni-!" Chan uttered the words softly as if the words were from the Dino plushie.

"Thank you, Dino." Chan chuckled and hugged his plushie.

"Dino, finally my dream comes true. I can have a birthday party with my hyungs!" He smiled and recalled his memories.

 

Chan went to his his hyungs' birthday party last year. Yes, hyungs. Two of his hyungs have same birthday coincidentally. He surprised at how the birthday party looked like. The delicious customized cake, tons of presents and lots of his hyung's friends who gathered and played. He saw happiness keep hanging on everyone's face during the birthday party. Before he left, he even receive a bag of sweets as a thank you gift for attending the party.

The memories of his hyung's birthday party kept wondering in Chan's mind for a few months. When he finally gathered his courage and asked permission from his parents to have his birthday party, it took his parents a few days to agree. Well, they had never invited any guest to their home before. Chan never saw his parents bringing any person or animal into their house. Even when Chan asked to adopt a pet after he saw his hyung's adorable Golden Retriever puppy, his parents rejected him quickly.  

Actually, since Chan remembered, he could not recall any memories of his mum going out of their house. As Chan is a boy who loves sun, grass and wind, he likes to lay on the grass under sunlight and feel the wind caress his body. Since Chan could crawl, he would sneak out of house and lay on backyard or even sidewalk in front of their house without his parents' notice. In a few seconds, his parents would scream and his dad would rush and grab him back into house while his mum would hold tight on the doorknob and wait for her husband with a worried face. Then his mum would hug him and scan him as if she was playing a "Look for differences" game, searching if Chan got hurt.

Slowly after Chan grew up, but still younger, he would cling on his mum's leg and ask her to go out with him. His mum would say sorry and promise to cook him omelette rice for dinner. His parents explained that his mum could not step out of house as her body was weak and she had higher chance to get sick. For Chan, he was just around the age who was clingy and extremely attached to his mum, he was just unable to understand the situation. Instead, he cried and shouted as if the world would collapse without his mum. At this moment, his dad would pull him away from his mum and bring him to the playground to look for someone who was able to stop his son from crying. Well, not someone, it is someones...... 

That was how he met his favourite hyungs. The people who Chan thought is the ones who love Chan next to his parents. And Chan love them too, he considered them as his real brothers. And today, he was able to spend his birthday with his hyungs.

 

"Dino, i feel like I am the happiest person in the world now." Chan crinkled his eyes and hugged Dino tighter.

He started to roll on the bed with Dino in his embrace to express his happiness.

"Channie, come down for awhile." The sound startled him a little and he nearly fall down from bed.

"Yes, omma!" Chan gently laid down Dino and rushed down to kitchen, finding that his parents smiling at him with their hands at their back. Chan watched his parents with curiousity.

"Channie, omma and appa have something for you." Mr. Lee kneeled down in front of Chan and put his left hands on Chan's shoulder. 

"But first, you need to close your eyes and your appa will lead you to backyard." Mrs. Lee followed.

Chan nodded and said," Okay!" 

Shutting his eyes, he felt he was lifted by his dad so he quickly placed his arm around his dad's necks. A few steps and after the sound of door opening, "Now, you can open our eyes!" 

Chan slowly openend his eyes and gasped at the sight.

They were standing beside the doorframe facing into the backyard. In the backyard, the usual wooden huge table ,which he used to lay on during the summer, was placed beside the wall of his house. The wooden huge table was covered with a black fabric and surrounded by flower pots while a Michael Jackson poster was sticked on the wall above the table. A banner written "Welcome to Channie's showcase" was hunged above the poster too. In front of the huge table, there were chairs placing neatly which made the huge table seemed like a stage.

Chan blinked and gazed at his parents.

"Appa, omma...."

"Channie, omma and appa decided to make a stage for you to perform your dance in front of your hyungs. Do you like it?" Mrs. Lee said in nervous tone.

 

Chan loves dance, especially with Michael Jackson song. Being told from his mum, since he still inside his mum's stomach, he liked to kick her when she listened to MJ song. When he could stand, he would follow the dance and end up tripping over a lot. Other than being outside and talking to his Dino, Chan would always stay in front of TV and learn MJ dance. 

 

 

"Well, appa and omma know Channie has been learning dance so hard so that Channie can perform at his birthday party in front of his hyungs," Mr. Lee bit his lips," So do you like it?"

 

Chan remembered that he once whispered to show his hyungs MJ dance during his birthday party when he was learning the dance moves in the living room where his parents were talking to each other behind Chan. He thought his parents did not hear his whisper.

 

"Omma, Appa" he pulled his parents' head towards him and kissed their cheeks, " I really really really really love you."

At first confused, his parents broke into a broad smile and replied with many pecks on Chan's cheek, " we love you too, really really really really."

Feeling tingled by the attacks, Chan laughed and struggled from his parents' pecks, "Omma, appa, stop it!" He slipped down onto the floor and rushed back to his room, " I am going to practice now. Don't disturb me!"

"Okay!" He heard his parents giggling behind him.

 

"Dino, i am going to perform Michael Jackson dance in front of hyungs today!"

"Re-e-li-y?"

"Appa and omma made a stage for me in the backyard. And now i am going to practice!" Chan said with determination.

"O-ke-y!"

"Dino, stay there and watch me dance!"

Chan quickly switched on the music.

 

 

 

"Channie, your hyungs are going to reach in any minute now. Come down and ready to open the door for them." Mr. Lee walked into Chan's room.

"Okay, ap-PA!" Chan was suddenly pulled into a hug by his dad.

"So cute!" Mr.Lee cooed at his son.

Chan was wearing a typical suit. Yes, the suit that people like to wear when dancing Michael Jackson. However, a small sized suit made Chan more adorable and cuter ever. 

"Appa, my clothes!" Chan pouted.

"Sorry, my cute Channie," Mr. Lee lifted Chan up and went down the stairs," Here comes Prince Chan. Prepare to bow down!"

"Oh my lord," Mrs.Lee at first rolled her eyes but decided to play with her husband," The stage and dinner is ready. But still there are less of something."

"What is it, Mrs. Lee?" Mr. Lee asked.

"Our guest hasn't come yet. While our Prince's suit is a littlee untidy now."

"I think these are not the main problem, Mrs. Lee. But I figure that there is less of one thing."

"What is it, Mr. Lee?"

"Prince Chan hasn't granted his kiss on us!"

Mr. Lee blew a kiss to Chan, followed by his wife.

"Omma, appa," Chan didn't stop pouting," Hyungs are going to reach soon. I need to prepare."

"Okay okay!" Mr. Lee put his son down.

Chan quickly smoothed the wrinkles of his clothes and ran through all dance moves in his mind.

Suddenly, the door bell rang.

"Looks like your hyungs have reached." Mrs. Lee smiled.

"I will get it." Chan quickly walked to the main door and took a deep breath before he turned the door knob.

In the sight, he saw his hyungs holding different sizes of presents. Smiling sheepishly, he waved his right hand.

"Hi, hi-yu-ongggg!"

Chan suddenly felt he was squeezed between chests and arms around his bodies.

"Happy Birthday, Channie!"