Christmas Break

Literal

Wonwoo’s mother was to give birth to a baby boy over Christmas break, and Wonwoo was looking forward to it. For one, he looked forward to spending time with his family whilst they were preoccupied with something other than his deviation from religion or his attraction to boys, and he also looked forward to having a new baby brother.

He was packing his belongings listening to After School songs when Mingyu came up with the idea: “Can I come with you?” Mingyu asked him suddenly.

Wonwoo knew that it had been on Mingyu’s mind for a long time. And he knew exactly why he wanted to come in the first place. For a long time now, Mingyu had been encouraging Wonwoo to come out to his parents about their relationship, but Wonwoo always refused. He didn’t want to deal with their disapproval and their homophobia, and wanted to maintain the stable relationship he now had with them, even if that meant lying to them about who he was with (they still thought he was with Jin).

He was planning to tell them, but he never found any time appropriate. He kept postponing and postponing, and it has now been over a year now since Mingyu and Wonwoo were together.

Wonwoo’s parents still don’t have a clue.

“Mingyu, I don’t want to tell them. I’m not ready yet,” Wonwoo told his lover.

“You’ll never be ready, Wonwoo. But you can’t just keep them in the dark forever.”

“I know how they’ll react.”

“Well obviously they’re not going to be all rainbows and sunshine about it, but the sooner you tell them, the more time they will have to come to terms with it. Tell them now and give them the next semester to process it and realize that you’re not backing out. Otherwise you’d just be lying to them your whole life.”

“And I’m okay with that…”

“Wonwoo, no you’re not. You love your parents and you want to maintain a relationship with them. You can’t do that lying to them about a big part of your life.”

Mingyu was right about that­, but Wonwoo hated to admit it. Whenever he thought about the topic, he just pushed it away and decided to deal with it later, but he couldn’t do that anymore. He had to tell them. He dreaded it so much; he dreaded their reaction and their disappointment. He dreaded that they would choose to disown him and have nothing to do with him anymore.

But there would no better time to tell them, especially if Mingyu came along. Wonwoo trusted that Mingyu could charm them like he did when he first met them. And plus, his parents were having a baby: there was so much happiness to offset the disappointment that would inevitably follow coming out to them.

And of course, a newborn baby meant they would not divorce, and that was the most important thing. They had a new boy to raise, a new boy to keep from becoming an “abomination.”

“Mingyu,” Wonwoo called out to his lover the following day before Mingyu headed out to his internship, “I’ve thought a lot about what you said about my parents… and you’re right. I want to be honest with them, and now is the time. So… would you come with me?”

Mingyu smiled and nodded to agree. Wonwoo let out a jittery sigh, one filled with anxiety. Mingyu took Wonwoo’s head in his hands and kissed his forehead, “it’ll be fine.”

“I hope so,” he said as he wrapped his arms around Mingyu.

No matter what happened, Wonwoo felt like nothing could be terrible when he had Mingyu at his side. No matter what his parents did to him, if Mingyu was there with him, Wonwoo could overcome anything.

-

When Wonwoo asked his parents if Mingyu could come along, they were very welcoming. They remembered Mingyu from the time they first met him when they came to visit from Changwon to meet Jin. They liked him, and so they were eager to have him over for Christmas and New Year’s, and happy to let him witness the birth of Wonwoo’s new baby brother.

“They’ll hate me when they find out the truth, won’t they?” Mingyu asked

“Yes, they will hate you. So we better have a backup plan in case we get kicked out of my home,” Wonwoo said.

“No big deal. We’ll get a motel,” Mingyu replied with a shrug. “Also, is there anything I should know? Any house rules or…?”

“Yeah, there is actually. My brother, Bohyuk, is kind of a devil. So just… stay away from him.”

“I’m curious now…”

“You’ll see what I mean when you meet him,” Wonwoo replied.

-

The ride to Changwon was long, but peaceful. Sitting at the very back, Wonwoo and Mingyu were able to sneak a few kisses and had plenty of space to catch up on sleep and have important conversations, one in which they decided to come out Wonwoo’s parents after the baby, because they didn’t want to stress his mother out before birth. They decided to do it right before going back to Seoul so they didn’t have to pay extra motel fees.

Wonwoo had no hope when it came to his parents. He knew that how they would react. He knew that they would hate it, and that his mother would cry and that his father would yell at him. He knew they would talk about Jesus Christ, and wonder where they went wrong. He knew that he would be kicked out of the house along with Mingyu. He also knew that he would cry, feel heartbroken and rejected by his own parents.

Although he had no hope for an immediate warm reaction, he did have hope for something favorable in the long-run. Maybe a few months later, they would randomly call him and tell him about his new baby brother, not talking about Mingyu at all. He did not expect that they would ever give their blessing, but he did expect that they would stop hating him, and that they wouldn’t cut contact with him completely.

And that’s all he wanted. He didn’t want them to accept Mingyu with open arms; he just wanted them to accept their son and love him despite the things that he does that they did not agree with.

-

His parents were both beaming when he greeted them. They looked happier than usual, wearing such bright smiles on their faces, smiles that Wonwoo felt he had not seen in a long time. Wonwoo guessed it was because they were excited about the life that was currently in his mother’s belly.

And seeing them like that was like heaven to Wonwoo. He loved them so much, and being with them in such a time where they were so happy was the greatest blessing.

His mother kissed his forehead when she saw him, telling him how much she loved him, and how happy she was to see him again. He teared up a little bit, but thankfully, only Mingyu noticed and not his mischievous younger brother, Bohyuk (who would have totally made a farce of it).

Mingyu was welcomed with open arms. And he got along with the family as if it were his own. He fit in perfectly, making his parents laugh and engaging them in easy conversation. He did not hold back when complimenting Wonwoo’s mother on the dishes she had prepared for dinner that night. He even insisted on doing the dishes, and later watched a football game with his father. He had even brought some of his fancy tea and prepared it for them, both of whom loved it.

Wonwoo also got to flaunt all of what he learned from his theology classes about Christ and the Gospels and Christian history. His parents were so happy and impressed, especially since they seemed to think that he now believed in it. (He didn’t; he just knew more about it).

It was just perfect. And Wonwoo hated that he would have to ruin the entire atmosphere eventually.

-

Mingyu was helping put up the Christmas tree when the topic of religion came up. Wonwoo’s mother asked about how his parents celebrated Christmas, and Mingyu revealed that he was not Christian and that his parents did not celebrate it.

“Oh, you’re not?” Wonwoo’s mother seemed surprised.

And for a moment, both Wonwoo and Mingyu became anxious. They hoped sincerely that it would not impact what they thought of Mingyu.

“I’m not,” Mingyu revealed, “I’m Buddhist. My parents actually work in a temple.”

“I see,” his mother said in a soft voice.

“I know it’s probably inappropriate that I celebrate such a sacred holiday with you if I’m not part of the religion, and so I’ll spend Christmas day exploring the city…”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Mingyu,” Wonwoo’s mother said. “You’re part of the family this Christmas, no matter what you believe.”

“That’s very kind of you, Mrs. Jeon,” Mingyu smiled at her.

“And we respect other religions. Just because we don’t agree on things doesn’t mean we should hate and exclude people, right?”

Both Mingyu and Wonwoo were surprised to hear something like that coming from . Just because we don’t agree on things doesn’t mean we should hate and exclude people, right? If only she could apply those words to Wonwoo when he came out…

“Those are some very wise words, Mrs. Jeon. I definitely agree with you,” he replied to her.

“Maybe Wonwoo can teach you a bit about Christ someday,” Mrs. Jeon suggested.

“I would like to learn actually. I’m quite interested in the religion, but I never had a chance to look into it,” Mingyu replied. It was a very clever reply on Mingyu’s part, for that one statement from Mingyu seemed to have made Wonwoo’s mother absolutely adore him.

-

“You two are ing, right?” Wonwoo’s younger brother asked them that night when Wonwoo’s parents were in bed.

Mingyu’s eyes widened at the question, but at the same time, he seemed quite amused by Bohyuk’s bluntness.

“Shut up, Bohyuk, and watch your tongue,” Wonwoo snapped.

“So it’s true. You’re not even denying it,” Bohyuk replied, crossing his arms in tirumph. “I can’t believe mom and dad haven’t put two and two together. It’s so obvious that you two are ing.”

“I like your brother,” Mingyu said, laughing when he saw just how timid Wonwoo became.

 “Ignore him,” Wonwoo replied, rolling his eyes, and avoiding eye contact with the two of them.

“When are you gonna tell mom and dad?” Bohyuk asked.

Mingyu looked to Wonwoo to see if he would answer.

“After the baby,” Wonwoo told his brother, “and you’ll keep your mouth shut till then, right?” Wonwoo glared at Bohyuk intensely, who just shrugged his shoulders.

 “Yall need Jesus,” Bohyuk remarked.

“Says the boy with magazines under his bed,” Mingyu butted in, making Bohyuk’s face turn red.

“How did you…”

“I saw them when I was unpacking,” Mingyu said with a shrug. “And from what I saw, I’m pretty sure you need Jesus a lot more than we do...”

“I like your boyfriend,” Bohyuk told Wonwoo, looking slightly embarrassed but also impressed at the same time.

“I like you too, to be honest.”

And thus, Bohyuk and Mingyu became friends.

-

At first, Wonwoo had been nervous about Bohyuk knowing about the two of them, but it actually did a lot more good than harm. Mingyu would ask Bohyuk to stand guard at the door as Mingyu pulled Wonwoo in to do things like make out and cuddle and the like. It would not have been possible without Bohyuk, and Wonwoo could not imagine how hard it would have been avoiding such physical contact with Mingyu their time there.

In addition to those secret romantic encounters, the events of the following days were nothing but pure bliss for Wonwoo. The people he loved most in the world were getting along and laughing together. Mingyu becoming friends with both his parents and Bohyuk, being the most perfect boyfriend anyone could ever ask for. Helping his mother browse the Internet for baby names, going with his father to help buy groceries, playing video games with his little brother. He even brought Wonwoo’s family Christmas gifts.

It was almost too picture perfect. And every night, Wonwoo thought about how it would fall apart when he told them. He considered not telling them so many times, but Mingyu always was there to convince him otherwise.

-

Then came the announcement.

Over Christmas dinner, with Wonwoo’s extended family over, Wonwoo’s parents decided to announce what they had decided to name their new son.

“We’ll call him Jeon Mingyu,” his father announced, eying Mingyu with fondness.

Both Mingyu and Wonwoo’s mouths fell open. Yes, they both knew that his parents liked Mingyu, but they did not know that they liked him enough to name their son after him.

“Um… I… I don’t know what to say,” Mingyu said, shocked and a little uncomfortable. “I’m so flattered,” he stood up and bowed to them. When he sat back down, he nudged Wonwoo, and Wonwoo knew exactly what he was thinking.

“They’re naming your brother after me?” Mingyu almost yelled when they were alone. “Wonwoo, we have to tell them…”

It was days earlier than they had planned, but Mingyu was right. Wonwoo could not let them name his new brother after someone they would inevitably resent, someone they would want nothing to do with.

-

They decided to tell the following morning over breakfast. They packed their bags, knowing that they would be kicked out, and prepared exactly what to say and how to say it.

They did not get the opportunity to say it though, for Wonwoo’s mother began with the contractions, and she had to be taken to the hospital immediately.

Wonwoo’s mother gave birth a few hours later to a healthy baby boy.

It was a new experience seeing a newborn child, and definitely a positive one for the both of them. It was quite overwhelming actually, especially for Wonwoo as he confronted the heartfelt realization that this child was his brother.

“He’s beautiful, mom,” Wonwoo told his mother as he held the baby for the first time. “I wish he would be less of a disappointment to you than I am.”

“Wonwoo, don’t be ridiculous,” his mother said tiredly, laying on her hospital bed, a wide smile on her face as she watched her oldest child hold and caress her youngest. “You are not a disappointment at all to me, darling.”

Now was the time.

“Me and Mingyu are dating, mom,” Wonwoo told her, tearing his eyes from his new brother’s face to watch her reaction closely.

The smile on his mother’s face faded. His father, who had been listening, also looked stunned, and not in a good way.

Mingyu bowed to the both of them, apologizing to them, telling them that he loved the family and that he was sorry for pretending to only be a friend to Wonwoo all this time.

“Give him to me,” his mother said to Wonwoo. Wonwoo transferred the baby from his arms to his mother’s. “And go, both of you. I don’t want to see you for a long time.” She then began to cry.

And so Wonwoo and Mingyu left, taking their already packed bags to a motel where they would spend the remaining three days.

Wonwoo knew this would happen, but somehow, he was not prepared for it emotionally. It was so hard to recall how his mother’s happy face dropped when he came out to them. It made him feel like a failure, like a disappointment, like an abomination.

Had Mingyu not been there for him, Wonwoo felt like he would have probably broken down. But Mingyu was there for him, encouraging him, cheering him up. It made everything so much more bearable.

“Your parents will come around, Wonwoo,” Mingyu had told him. “It’s obvious that they love you, and they’re not going to lose you over this.”

“It was so hard to see her cry because of me…”

“It’s not your fault.”

“Then whose fault is it?”

“It’s her own fault. She’s the one who needs to change, not you.”

Wonwoo nodded. “I wish she would.”

“I think she will. Both your parents will.”

“What makes you say that? You don’t know them well.”

“You’re right. I don’t know them. But I do know how it feels to love you and to have you in my life. And there is nothing that you could do that would make me want to give you up. I’m sure your parents would feel that way too.”

“Mingyu…” Wonwoo uttered, touched beyond words. Mingyu leaned in and kissed Wonwoo’s cheek softly.

“I love you,” Mingyu said, and Wonwoo felt instantly better.

“I love you too,” Wonwoo responded.

-

It took less than 24 hours for Wonwoo to receive a message from his mother.

Me and your father raised you as best we could, and we left you in God’s hands. God has a plan for everyone, and Mingyu seemed to be God’s plan for you. Mingyu is a blessing, and I am thankful for him and how he has helped you throughout your college days. He has given you a home, a job, a friend and even a lover.

Wonwoo, ever since you’ve been here, we don’t think we have ever seen you happier. We don’t agree with your relationship, but we can’t deny the good it has done you. And you are not a disappointment. You are not an abomination. You are our son, and we love you. And “Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful; it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth. Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.” Corinthians 13:4-7.

And so, we will not insist on our own way, nor will we rejoice at what we believe is wrong. But we will bear it, and endure it. Because you are our son, and we love you very much. Please come home now, with Mingyu, of course (but no touching each other in the house AT ALL! And you’re sleeping in different rooms too.)

PS: Your new brother’s name is not Mingyu anymore. We figured we’re going to see Mingyu a lot from now on, and having two Mingyus as part of the family would be too confusing. Instead, we decided to go for Minwoo. Do you like it?

 


A/N: Okay this wasn’t really meanie fluff… But idk I enjoyed writing it tbh lol.

I still feel like I need to add a drama-free meanie fluff chapter to this though :P Maybe we’ll see ~


(meanie is killing me today!!!!!)