Chapter 7: FINAL

You and Me

A/N 

 

It's here! sorry for the long wait. I had a huge writers block but I decided to end the story, hopefully you guys will be satisfied with the ending.

 


 

“Gee, I love you too, Yerin” Eunha mumbled awkwardly, playing dumb even though she knew exactly what was coming. Yerin stood up and once again sat next to Eunha, this time at a safe distance.

 

“I know you do, you said so yesterday” Yerin teased Eunha as she uninterestedly started tracing circles on the wooden bench with the crayon. Eunha’s face turned bright red, she knew Yerin had been awake.

 

“You told me you loved me back yesterday too, you know” Eunha reminded her.

 

“I did,” Yerin answered dryly. “didn’t I?”

 

Both of them sighed loudly. There was a long and awkward silence.

 

Eunha felt torn, on one hand she wanted to ask Yerin if there was a point to this conversation but on the other hand, she felt like she already knew the answer and she felt terrible because she knew Yerin had chickened out and as a friend she should have at least allowed her to say what she wanted to say.

 

Yes, she knew, she knew very well what Yerin wanted to tell her especially after Yerin begged her to be her friend forever it that Yerin was… leaving the Roller derby team.

 

 


 

“So…” Eunha finally said after a few —but still very long— minutes of silence. “Wasn’t there something you wanted to tell me, Yerin?”

 

“Well, I…” Yerin looked around nervously. “It’s nothing really”

 

“What’s wrong?” Eunha asked, she needed to prove to herself that her theories were wrong and that Yerin wasn’t leaving them.

 

“It’s nothing really…” Yerin repeated, dropping her crayon. She looked up. “Eunbi…”

 

“Yerin” Eunha echoed. Yerin stared at her, her eyes burning holes in her as she pursed her lips and stood up slowly.

 

“If I told you a secret, would you be able to keep it and not tell anyone about it, not even think about it yourself?” Her voice was soft again.

 

“I don’t understand what you mean,” Eunha muttered. “why shouldn’t I think about it?”

 

“because it would change the way you look at me” Yerin answered.

 

“I doubt it would” assured Eunha “If you feel the need to tell someone about it, I’m glad it’s me”

 

“I’m having second thoughts about it though, I don’t want to vent out such a thing on you”

 

“What sort of thing?” Eunha was now pretty sure her suspicions were right. She stood up too, gathering all of her courage.

 

“Yerin, you can’t possibly mean…” Eunha began. Yerin’s eyes were wide open, she took a single step back.

“…you’re quitting the club, right?”

 

Yerin let out a loud sigh. Suddenly, she began to laugh uncontrollably.

 

“Yerin-ah, are you—”

 

“Oh, Eunbi, you can’t possibly think I was planning on quitting the club, right?”

 

Eunha just stared at her silently, feeling embarrassed.

 

“But isn’t that all we’ve been talking about? The roller derby club and how you didn’t know how you felt about being president? You said you wanted to quit!”

 

“Wait, you seriously haven’t figured it out” Yerin’s laugh was no longer the warm and gentle laugh Eunha knew. it was cold and slightly mocking, Eunha didn’t like it at all.

 

“Figured what out?! I—“ Before Eunha could get angry, the doors to the gymnasium opened and four loud voices interrupted the heating conversation.

 

“WE’RE HE-REEE” Once again, it was her SinB’s voice interrupting them but this time, she was glad she did. Something about Yerin wasn’t right and things would have gotten ugly had they not gotten there.

 

“So…how was it?” Yuju smiled, wrapping her arm around Yerin’s shoulder, wiggling her eyebrows.

 

“How did she react, unnie?” SinB asked. “did we interrupt something”

 

“Ah! my Yerin, who would have thought!”

 

Eunha looked at all of them in disbelief while Yerin stared at her in horror. They all knew whatever it was she was about to tell Eunha. Was it about her? Was she the one about to get kicked out?

 

“Wait? React? You guys all knew?” Eunha asked, feeling her face heat up.

 

“Yeah, when Yerin told to us her plan, we sure as hell didn’t wanna be here for it, hope you weren’t too shocked, unnie” SinB chuckled.

 

“I’m glad she finally did it, I could see her itching to do it since like December”

 

“Longer than that! since you joined the club!” Umji exclaimed.

 

Eunha couldn’t believe it, so everything had been a lie? all of this time, Yerin had been “itching” to kick her out? That made no sense, if she loved Eunbi, why did she want to kick her out? didn’t she say she was happy Eunbi joined?

 

“um, guys,” Yerin finally spoke. “I haven’t told her yet…”

 

All of the members stared at Eunha, mouths wide open.

 

“Tell me what?” Eunha yelled. “That you wanted to kick me out?”

 

There was a long silence. SinB chuckled in amusement and Sojung could’ve swore she heard one of the maknaes call Eunha a under their breath.

 

“What? no!” Yerin answered. “Where did you even get that idea?”

 

“itching to do it? waiting for my reaction? Since I joined?! Why did you even invite me if you wanted me out?”

 

“That’s not what they’re talking about!” Yerin defended herself.

 

“It doesn’t even make any sense!” Eunha continued. “Did you say you loved me to make it less painful for me? cause it didn’t work”

 

“Where is this even coming from, Eunbi, nobody’s kicking anybody out!”

 

“Then what are they talking about?” Eunha screamed. “What is it that you were wanting to tell me so badly that everyone else already knew? Could it be you're jealous? Even though you'll be the captain next year, I'm still way better than you, afterall”

 

“Mess.” SinB commented under her breath.

 

“Unnie, I think we should leave” Umji told Sowon who nodded.

 

“yes, let’s go Yewonnie” SinB put her hand on her shoulder.

 

“No, I’m the one who’s leaving, I can’t do this anymore, not right now!” Yerin cried, storming out of the room. Slowly and awkwardly Sowon and the maknaes followed leaving Eunha alone with Yuju.

 

“You really are an idiot, Eunbi” Yuju mumbled.

 

“What are you talking about? What did she want to tell me?”

 

“You still haven’t figured it out?” Yuju asked.

 

“That’s what Yerin told me before you guys arrived”

 

“…have you?” She inquired.

 

“I don’t know, all she was saying was cryptic about how much she…”

 

Eunha stopped. She could feel her brain having a meltdown as she tried to wrap her head around what she was second away from saying.

 

“Oh my god, you can’t possibly mean she—“

 

“she what…?” Yuju echoed, hoping she finally understood what Yerin had been wanting to say.

 

“I need to talk to her!” Eunha walked towards the door quickly, Yuju followed her. “Any idea where she might’ve run off to?”

 

“How would I know, you’re her best friend”

 

“But I—Wait! I know”

 

and with that, Eunha ran towards the only place where she knew she most definitely would find anyone who wanted to be alone.

 


 

Yerin kicked the air and stifled a sob. She felt so stupid, She had so many chances in such a short amount of time and yet, she didn’t take any of them and now, the consequence was that Eunha was mad at her. She couldn’t handle that, not her, not on a day she had planned to be so special and was ending so painfully. The bubbles, their seats in the car, even the secret “hide out”, everything was supposed to turn out perfectly, but in the end, she too afraid to face rejection.

She was mad at her friends for arriving so soon, maybe she would have done it had they arrived a few minutes later. They had already taken a long time (as instructed), she couldn’t understand how Eunha had actually fallen for the “buying some snacks” excuse, she doubted anyone could take an hour and a half to shop for chips but she needed to make sure Eunha would only pay attention to her and Sowon and Yuju were ecstatic to help as were the younger ones for the ice cream Sowon paid for with Yerin’s money.

 

She hated everything so much, she wanted to scream so loudly that she would lose her voice and never get it back. But that would only attract unwanted attention so instead she settled for a normal volume and short “ah.”

 

“Yerin!” it was Eunha’s voice. Yerin got to her feet and neared the entrance with heavy feet. Eunha was searching for her. Should she go out and let herself be found? Eunha could get lost.

 

She seriously didn’t want to but that didn’t stop her feet from sprinting out and into the woods.

 

“Yerin! I just wanna talk!” were the words that guided her to her best friend.

 

“Eunbi, what are you doing here?”

 

“I came looking for you” Eunha said taking Yerin's hands.

 

“Well you shouldn’t have, you could have gotten lost” Yerin said, yanking her hand away. “You were lost, weren’t you?”

 

Eunha giggled shyly.

 

They walked quietly back to the school, as they arrived Yerin began to walk away again.

 

“Wait! where are you going!?” Eunha grabbed Yerin’s arm.

 

“I want to be alone for a bit, don’t come looking for me” Yerin pulled her arm away from her and began to once again walk away, this time at a quicker pace.

 

Eunha froze, she felt like she knew what it was that Yerin wanted to tell her and she was extremely afraid of being right. It would ruin their friendship and that was something Eunha didn’t want but at the same time, not going after her wouldn’t make things any better. but as soon as Yerin quickly disappeared from sight again, Eunha was forced to decide.

 

“oh, it!” Eunha swore before running after her.

 

She was scared, she still couldn’t understand her own feeling but for some reason, she felt like there was no point in thinking about it, not at this rate. The only thing that was left to do was follow her heart and see where it would take her.

 

I’ve been waiting for this moment

 

She managed to catch up to Yerin, taking her hand and pulling on it so she would stop running. Yerin tried to resist but Eunha managed to get Yerin to stop moving.

 

And I’m with you who’ve always kept by my side

 

Taking a deep breath, she grabbed Yerin’s shoulders and turned her around so she was facing Eunha. Her hands slid down her arms making Yerin shiver.

 

I’ll make it come true, like I always do

 

Before she could protest again, Eunha pressed her lips against Yerin’s and relaxed against the kiss. She heard Yerin’s muffled gasp and Eunha mentally panicked. It took the older girl a few seconds before relaxing and kissing back. Sighing softly, Yerin pulled away and stared an Eunha in shock.

 

“Was this what you were planning on telling, Yerin?”

 

Yerin remained silent, her eyes twice as large and her cheeks deep red.

 

“Since you can’t seem to say whatever you want to tell me, I'll tell you what's been on my mind for a while. It’s been almost a year since we became friends, right? but were we ever really just friends? I have been having these weird thoughts lately. no, not weird, unexplainable. I keep imagining you and I as a couple. Could it be you imagine this as well?”

 

“I—” Yerin began but Eunha interrupted her again.

 

“You do, don’t you? you kissed me back after all. Could it be your heart also flutters when you see me just like mine does when I see you? That you think about me at nights like I think of you?”

 

Yerin looked like she was about to cry, she wanted to speak but words just wouldn’t come out.

 

“or am I just imagining it? did I just make a fool out of myself and imagine all of those moments in which I thought I was so special to you?”

 

Yerin shook her head violently. Tears started streaming down her face. Why was it so easy for Eunha to just say it but even after knowing her feelings were mutual she couldn’t spit it out.

 

Eunha seemed frustrated with the silence, she looked around as if considering walking back so Yerin decided to gather all of her courage and she took Eunha’s hand in hers. She stared at Eunha’s shiny black eyes and gave her a weak smile. Eunha have her hand a light squeeze but didn’t smile back.

 

“I— I— I do” Yerin stuttered. “I do love you, adore you, even! Every time we talk, every time we do as much as spend time in the same room, I can feel my day getting a little bit better. It’s as if I was given my very own ray of sunshine, but sometimes I feel guilty for thinking it’s mine to keep. I was scared that I would scare you away so I never said anything about it, I planned out this whole day so I would be able to confess to you but even now… it feels like I failed”

 

Yerin whiped her cheek, giving Eunha a very pathetic smile.

 

“I’m sorry, Eunbi, I really wanted this to feel special but now I feel like you did all the work. This is so embarrassing”

 

“I’m sorry too, everything would’ve gone just the way you wanted it to go if I hadn’t denied it to myself for so long. I don’t know why it never hit me. Actually, it did hit me, countless times. I didn't want to get my hopes up so I denied it to myself.”

 

“but that isn’t your fault, I shouldn’t have hesitated for so long, I…”

 

Eunha embraced Yerin in a tight hug, nuzzling her nose against the crook of her neck.

 

“let’s stop, Yerinie” she whispered comfortingly. “there’s no point in dwelling in the past, right?”

 

“You’re right” Yerin hugged Eunbi back, tears were still streaming down her face but they felt so different than the tears on her cheeks a few minutes ago, they were happy tears. Maybe deviating from the plan didn’t matter so much after all as long as you reached the goal.

 

 


 

A/N:

I think it's important for me to mention that Eunha WASN'T actually that dense, she was just trying to think of things other than that, because she didn't want to get her hopes up and then have Yerin just go and say something different. She herself wasn't sure if it was a real crush or not so she was trying to postpone coming to terms with it.

 

 

anyway, i had fun with this story, a shame it took me a year to finish it.