Chapter 3: Yuju is Watching

You and Me

 “There’s a couch in the coach’s office, I’m sure he won’t notice if we move it” Umji thought out loud..

There they stood, right in front of their decided place to spend the evening only to realize the bleachers and benches had been moved,

    “but can we move it?” asked SinB. “isn’t it too big?”

    “It’s segmented, though, as long as it fits through the door, we can surely carry it” Yuju said and all of them nodded.

   “Then shall we?” Sowon asked and all of them nodded and moved towards the Coach’s office. The entrance was only a few yards away from where they stood so distance wasn't goint to be a problem at all. Eunha had to admit, though, that due to her small size she barely did any of the carrying. 

  They put a few pillows and blankets on the floor and the place was ready.


  “Should we go and buy some food?” Sowon suggested

   “I’ll go with you, Unnie. I’m sure Yerin-unnie and SinB-Unnie would love to accompany us as well”

    “Why us?” SinB asked with her usual unamused expression.

   “Cause we need someone to carry the bags” Yuju said with a wink causing the two of them to groan.

    “And I was about to ask if we could take a swim…” Yerin mumbled disappointed.


Yuju told Eunha she was going to get a drink from the cafeteria (probably steal it), leaving Eunha behind. Not knowing what to do, she sat on the couch for a few seconds, analyzing her surroundings. She saw a ladder leading up to the roof. She walked towards it curiously, and climbed up the ladder. She sat on the roof’s edge and stared at the clouds above her with wonder, random thoughts going through her head.

  “Today has been fun, right?” she told herself with a small smile. She stared at her dangling feet happily. Their efforts had definitely been worth it. Her only issue was: she wished she had spent more time with the others, it seemed to her that she had been with Yerin and Yerin only since the day began. She liked Yerin a lot but part of her wished she could spend some time with the others as well. Problem was, as soon as she saw her friend, she forgot everyone else even existed, not that Yerin would even let her think of anyone else while she was around.

 A small frown appeared on her face. Yerin was being especially needy that day, she remembered what she had said at the bridge and wondered what it meant. Yerin was probably referring to her future role as the captain of the team. She was probably worried sick that she wouldn’t be able to replace Sowon. No, Eunha thought, Yerin can do it. She believes in her and she was sure the others did too. She may seem irresponsible at times but Eunha knew she had a motherly side…that didn’t make her less of an idiot, though.

Eunha smirked, Yerin really was an idiot sometimes, a cute one nonetheless but still an idiot. Clumsy and excitable, one could never get bored when they were with her, not Eunha at least. But she had shown --- once every red moon --- a much softer side, Yerin could go from a careless child to a caring mother in the blink of an eye, Eunha would know.

“I really love Yerin” she thought with a toothy grin which disappeared almost immediately as a strange thought creeped into her mind. She shook her head violently. What was she even thinking? her heart began to pound and she flashed back to what happened in the van, she had never really thought about it but Yerin was very cute, her button nose and pale skin, she also had a pretty mouth, her lips were so nice, Eunha was envious!...or was she? was the feeling really envy? wha— Eunha slapped herself in the face.

   “Hey, are you okay?” a voice behind her asked and Eunha turned around, blessing the lord someone had come to take her mind off things.

   “ah yes” Eunha lied. “I have water in my ear, from, er…showering”

   “Showering?” Yuju tilted her head slightly and took a sip of the drink she was holding.

   “Mind if I sit next to you?” Yuju pointed at the spot next to Eunha and Eunha responded by shaking her head. Yuju sat down next to her, her legs reached farther down than Eunha’s.

    “Seriously though,” She took another sip. “what’s wrong?”

Eunha simply shrugged.

   “I don’t know, I just have this, um...feeling…”

   “Like something bad is going to happen?” Yuju tried to guess.

   “No. I don’t know and then I get these really weird thoughts. They happen randomly, whether it's before going to bed, or during school but lately, they’ve been getting more frequent…”

   “Weird as in se—”

   “NO!” Eunha cried. “No! that’s definetly not what I mean by weird, jeez”

   “Then what do you mean” Yuju questioned. “Is it a boy or—?”

    “No, not a boy, it’s…”

   “Eun-ha” a voice said in a sing-song voice “where are you?”

Eunha saw Yerin appear from below them. From above, she could see her pretty brown hair. She remembered when she took Yerin to get it dyed. Yerin had been so nervous about it even though it was a dark shade. 

   “Over here” Eunha waved with a wide smile.

   “Jung Eun Bi!” Yerin’s eyes got wide open once she saw them. “get down from there right this instant, you can get hurt”

Eunha chuckled loudly and nodded. She heard a small hum beside her. Yuju was staring at her intently as if she had been told some very juicy gossip.

    “What?” Eunha asked but Yuju shook her head.

    “Nothing, nothing” Yuju assured. “Let’s get down from here before your dear Romeo gets mad.

 


 

  “You have pretty fingers, I’m so jealous!” Eunha said as she took Sinb’s hands, examining them as SinB giggled bashfully.

   “Yours are nice too” She answered.

    “hmph!” Yerin grumbled. “Eunha-yahhh, I’m tired” Yerin said as she pushed and pulled on Eunha’s legs. Eunha could feel Yuju’s gaze on them and it was starting to make her uncomfortable.

    “Want me to tuck you in or something?” she answered with a sarcastic laugh, as if talking to a kid but Yerin moved back, her expression similar to that of worry or nervousness. Confused, Eunha sat back again. Yerin had never done this before, now she was running her finger in zigzags on the carpet, looking like a hurt child.

    “She’s so dense” chuckled SinB in delight as she placed an arm around Eunha's shoulders and pulling her close.

   “you have no idea!” said Yuju who sat on a chair across them. They both laughed. Yerin and Eunha looked at them with puzzled expressions on their faces. Eunha looking slightly frustrated.

   “ahh, Unnie, you’re so cute!” SinB told Eunha as she nuzzled her cheek. Yerin’s face turned dark for a second so short, she would have missed it had she blinked. It was a very scary look and Eunha once again, felt very confused.

   “Stop, SinB-ah, before she dies” Yuju said, standing up and pulling the younger girl up.

After giving them one last look, the girls left.

 


 

  “Fine, I’ll pay attention to you, Yerin-ah” Eunha sat on the floor with her, legs crossed and motioned Yerin to rest her head there.

Yerin laid down and closed her eyes as Eunha played with her hair.

   “Today was fun, wasn’t it, Yerin-ah?” Eunha asked her in the sweetest voice Yerin had ever heard and poked her nose playfully. Yerin squirmed in response her eyes still shut and she wrinkled her nose.

  “I guess I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for you so thank you, I really don’t know what I would do without you” Eunha continued. “...I love you, Yerin” 

 She leaned down and planted a small kiss on the older girl’s forehead.

Eunha had meant it in a friendly way but the moment her lips touched Yerin’s smooth skin, her brain went crazy. What was she doing? Yerin would think this was a love confession or something. She lifted her head up quickly and stared at the pool waiting for a response, instead she heard soft breathing, Yerin was fast asleep.

 To her right, the others were chatting, they were quite far from sight and the chair really made it hard to see what the other group was doing (for both parties), she was thankful. 

 She moved away and tried to put a stuffed toy under Yerin’s head to support it but after failing to lift it again, she gave up and placed it over her head.

   Eunha began to play with Yerin’s hair again. Pretending innocently that none of that had ever happened. Little did she know an already suspicious Yuju had seen it all...