Chapter 5: Weak Knees

You and Me

 

Hey! I'm back! wow, it's almost been a month! I'm so sorry, as a reward for waiting, hopefully I'll give you a double update tonight


  “Are you sure it's fine?” Umji asked.

  “Chill, Yewon” SinB answered looking annoyed. “No one has to find out”

   “Except for us.” Sowon said as a matter-of-factly.

   “Except for us” Echoed SinB in agreement.

   “Where did you even get those from?” Yuju asked.

    “Found them as we rummaged through the coach's office” 

    “We?” Sowon said to herself.

   “I went with her” Yerin explained.

   “When did you even do this?” Eunha asked with a yawn.  

    “While you where still sleeping like a little baby” she pinched her nose causing Eunha to turn bright red. “so cute”

 They were standing at the entrance of the gym. Due to Sowon’s horrible habit of throwing her bag around, their key to the Gym had gotten lost the past night so SinB had to steal the coach's keys from his office.

 Eunha had been the last one to wake up that morning since she had had so much trouble sleeping with what had happened.

      

 


     -----Flashback-----

    “I love you too, good night”

The kiss was still warm against her cheek and as much as she wanted to touch, it she didn't move in fear of waking up Yerin, who's head was now rested against her collar bone, above her chest. 

Eunha prayed Yerin was deep asleep or else, she would have felt Eunha's heart threatening to explode. She knew what Yerin meant by it. Her friend had meant it in the same way Eunha did when she told Yerin she loved her: in a "friend” sort of way.

   Even though that was what one would expect it to be, Eunha couldn't stop thinking of what would have happened, had Yerin missed her cheek. Why was she even thinking that, though? Yerin would think she was weird but still, she was curious. Very curious. A toxic curiosity that rose up and gave her a bitter taste in the mouth as she moved her head slightly to see her sleeping friend more clearly. Yerin truly looked the prettiest while she slept.

  What's wrong with her? She needed to stop thinking about these things, she knew she was just tired but as she closed her eyes, trying hard to sleep, thoughts that shouldn't appear on her mind popped up, no matter how hard she tried to suppress them, they kept coming back. She lifted her hand and bit her finger. She had to think of something else, think of... A song! That would make things better, she began to sing a song she had heard on the radio that morning, but even that song reminded her of Yerin.

Wake from the dreams Na na na navillera
Someday, you and I
I hope we can
build a future together

You’re more than enough for me 

 

Never had trying not to think, been so exhausting for Eunha, and as soon as she managed to fall asleep, she didn't wake up 'till 2 hours after the second to last to wake up and when she opened her eyes the first thing (or face) she saw made her want to curse at the skies.

 


 

   “It worked!” SinB said in astonishment as the door clicked and she pushed it open. It was her friend’s voice that brought her back to reality (which wasn’t any better).

They all ran inside.

   “I left some chips in my locker” Yerin suddenly remembered.

   “How long have those been there?” Yuju inquired.

    “I bought them the day before yesterday and left them in my locker so I wouldn’t have to carry them around”

Yerin nodded her head with a dumb smile while everyone just stared at her, waiting for her to show any signs of her having the intention of going to get them.

   “so, are you gonna go for them or…?” it was SinB who said this —of course— and snapped Yerin out of her daze.

   “Ah, yeah! Eunbi-yah, come with me” She motioned for her to follow. Both Eunbis stood still, not knowing which one Yerin had been talking to. 

 Realising her mistake, but without turning around, she corrected herself with a small cough and a firm tone, “Jung Eunbi.”

 SinB scowled, feeling slightly rejected and telling a shrugging Eunha to go after her.

 


 

Yerin was far ahead and by the time she caught up to her, the older girl was already facing her locker. As she opened it, she noticed a huge stuffed rabbit crammed inside the small locker. Eunha raised an eyebrow, amused.

   “Yerin-ah…” Eunha began, in a very low voice. but, she never finished her sentence since Yerin was already pulling on the stuffed animal, grunting loudly and muttering through gritted teeth. Yerin tugged on it so hard that when she finally managed to pull it out, she lost her balance and fell on her .

 Eunha giggled as Yerin struggled to get up with the giant rabbit in arms.

   “Eunha-yah…a little help please”

With a loud chuckle, Eunha ran to her and helped her get up. As she pulled her up, Yerin stared at Eunha with a wide smile. Once again, Eunha was caught in a trance, a pink tint painting her cheeks as she tried hard to look away. Unfortunately for the short haired girl, her best friend’s stare was hard to ignore. She her lips twice, knowing she should say something but not knowing what to say. Slowly, she opened , but before she could say anything, her fellow Eunbi’s boomed:

   “UNNIE! where are my chips!” 

Yerin awkwardly bowed and left with the chips, leaving Eunha alone and confused. 

 


  

   “I saw our trophy in the trophy room.” Yuju informed everyone as she sat down with the rest of the group who were hungrily munching on Yerin’s chips.

   “oh, really?” Yerin asked, spitting all over SinB who wiped herself using her sleeve, a frown on her face.

   “let’s go check it out!” Sowon told everyone who nodded. —except for Umji who just wanted to enjoy her chips—.

  “I’m too lazy, unnie!” cried the maknae. 

   “I’ll stay behind too, you guys go ahead” Eunha announced. 

Hesitantly, the other four friends left.

 


 

   “Eunha-unnie, are you okay?” Umji inquired. “you’ve been acting weird since this morning. Did something happen? are you not feeling well?”

Eunha guessed Umji had been expecting her to be the one to start the conversation since she didn’t say a thing for ten minutes, they just sat quietly. Eunha didn’t feel like initiating dialogue with anyone at the moment, her head hurt a lot and she not only felt physically but emotionally tired as well. 

   “I’m fine…” Eunha lied. “just a bit tired, is all”

 Umji nodded her head slowly, unconvinced. 

 


 

  “We’re back!” Yerin announced. She, along with SinB, Sowon and Yuju were carrying dusty trophies.

   “Why did you bring those back with you?” Eunha asked Sowon.

   “We decided to give them a nice polish” Sowon explained patting the tallest one with a proud grin. 

Eunha and Umji nodded, still feeling somewhat confused.

They polished trophies for almost half an hour. Their rags now belonged in the nearest trashcan but you could fool people into thinking these trophies couldn’t be more than 5 years old instead of a few decades old.

As they polished, Yuju skated around them, uninterested in whatever it was they were doing and instead using the trophies as an obstacle course. 

SinB grunted in disapproval every time Yuju got too close to a trophy, but Yuju knew what she was doing, even the younger Eunbi knew that.

  As she skated, her sight was kept on a confused Eunha who acted as if she didn’t notice she was being watched. She didn’t like it when Yuju observed her, it made her feel like an experiment or source of amusement rather than an actual friend. Yuju casually acted as if she wasn’t blatantly keeping track of everything Eunha did, but she couldn’t fool Eunha anymore now that she sort of knew what Yuju was doing. Same as Umji, she was trying to figure out what was wrong with Eunha but the latest would never say a word about it.

 


 

  “We’re taking them back” Sowon instructed. “Yerin, stay behind with Eunha. Eunha, you need to get that knee checked a.s.a.p.”

   “knee checked?” Eunha echoed, confused.

   “Yeah, that knee that has been bothering you since yesterday” She tried to remind her but Eunha just stared blankly, clearly puzzled by the captain’s comment as Yerin knitted her eyebrows together.

   “What are you imp— you know what, I don’t wanna know” 

The girls left without Eunha once more. The look on Sowon’s face made her wonder if she had even been talking about her knee or if she had been discreetly referring to something else…