Chapter 2: Looking Down

You and Me

Eunha and Yerin met on the first day of school that same year. Although they had been in the same school the year before, Being in different classrooms isn’t really the key to becoming friends with someone and to be honest, they never really paid attention to each other. Not until the first day of school the next year that is, when she was approached by a familiar face without a name asking her if she wanted to join the roller derby team. At first, Eunha had though it was a stupid idea but the girl seemed so enthusiastic, she didn’t have the heart to say no. Turns out, Eunha’s quite good at rollerskating, freakishly good and all of the other team mates were so nice she just had to stay. 

  There, she met freshmen Kim Yewon (referred to as Umji by her closest friends) and fellow Eunbi, Hwang Eunbi who would later earn her nickname “SinB” for her knack for math and as a way to stop confusing her with Eunha.

 She also met, Choi Yuju aka the one who does everyone’s homework and Kim Sowon who she had already heard of but had never had the pleasure of meeting. Yerin and her became quite close after a while but things had been extremely awkward between them lately.

 


 

 “It’s such a nice place to skate” Yerin cried as she tied the shoelaces of her roller-skates. Everyone else hummed in agreement. 

   “it’s quite rocky, though, so be careful to not fall on your , unnie” SinB chuckled as she stood up and gave the road a try. Yuju and Sowon quickly followed.

 


 

They all skated around the park’s paving happily, laughing loudly and joking around. It was Monday and 12 in the afternoon so they doubted anyone would be there anyway. SinB dared Sowon to a race and Umji and Yuju followed quickly immersed in giggles. Realizing she had fallen behind, Eunha gained speed to keep up but was stopped by a hand pulling her by the arm.

    “Stay with me for a bit” it was Yerin. “I’m tired”

Eunha would’ve made fun of Yerin for getting tired so quickly but there was something in the tone of her voice that made her swallow loudly and nod her head as Yerin took her hand and led her towards the edge of the bridge, staring down at the road below..

   “Wha-what is it, Yerin-ah?” Eunha stuttered, full sentences refusing to come out of but, instead of answering, Yerin rested her head on Eunha’s shoulder causing the later to stiffen up. 

 It wasn’t as if it was the first time Yerin ever did such a thing, the older girl was actually very clingy and things like this were anything but rare occurrences, but there was something somewhat…different this time. The feel of the situation, although words weren’t being said, was quite, well, intimate. The simple thought of the word made Eunha’s cheeks turn an even darker shade of pink in embarrassment. Eunha felt so stupid but she couldn’t help but slowly lean her head against Yerin’s as well. A small sigh escaping her lips.

 They were complety silent. It was a long silence, but also a comfortable silence, like no words needed to be said, therefore none were being spoken.

 It was Yerin who interrumpted it in a very low tone, unlike her usual cheerful voice.

   “God…Eunha, I’m such a mess, what am I doing?”

Eunha didn’t answer, not only because she was afraid her voice would crack due to the tension, but because she didn’t quite know what Yerin was talking about. She was about to ask, when a loud noise was heard below them, a slip and a thud.

   “Yewonnie! are you okay?!” It was Sowon, and that was enough to bring the both of them back to their senses. They stared down to see a fallen Umji and Sowon kneeling in front of her while SinB and Yuju stood around them, hands in hips.

  Even from afar, they could see Sowon rummaging through her backpack until she found something, a band aid they guessed.

  “Leave it to Captain Kim to bring a first aid kit to a day in the park” Yerin pointed out. “You better remind me to do the same”

  Sowon leaned in and put the band aid over the youngest’s scraped knee, but not without planting a small kiss on the girl’s bandaid. She proceeded to take off her skates and take out Umji’s shoes from the girls bag and placing them on each foot. afterwards, helping her to stand up. Sowon said something to the rest and pointed at Yerin and Eunha and the rest nodded and began to take off their skates as well. Taking Umji’s hand and helping her walk as the four of them disappeared through the tunnel under the other two girls.

   “I hope Umji’s okay” Eunha mumbled.

   “but, God, Sowon is such a dream boat, maybe I should’ve been the one to fall” 

   “I know what you mean…Sowon-unnie’s so coo—AHH!”

Behind her, SinB and Yuju were giggling at the scared girl who fell on her in surprise.

    “Race you to the van!” Yuju cried as the both of them skated away.

 


 

Umji and Sowon were catching up to the pair that had been left behind, Eunha was still sitting on the floor. She stared down at her knee, she hadn’t scraped it but the fall had hurt. Yerin gave Eunha a worried look, accompanied by a small smile and leaned closer to her giving her a small kiss in her already bruising knee –Clearly trying to imitate the captian's actions a few minutes ago– before standing up to brush the dust off her own knees. Eunha just stared at her astonished, not knowing what to do or say, her heart beat madly against her chest.

  “What are waiting for? let’s go!” it was Sowon —who was holding Umji’s hand— as they bolted after the other two. Yerin extended her arm, pulling Eunha back up with a heart-melting smile as she took her hand and both of them, along with Umji and Sowon, skated after Yuju and SinB. 

 


 

Eunha held on to Yerin’s hand tightly unable to shake off an uncomfortable feeling she was sure she had felt many times before. She tightened her grip on Yerin’s hand and pressed her body closer to hers’ as they ran, it gave Eunha a feeling of comfort but it was also accompanied with a feeling of loneliness that ate her up every inch closer she got ro her. They hopped into the van and sat on their past places.

   “Eunha-yah” Yerin chuckled. “you’ve got a bit of sweat in—um…”

Using her thumb she wiped a bead of sweat off her forehead. Their eyes met. Silence. Eunha tried to remove Yerin’s unmoving hand but ended up holding it above her head. No thoughts were going through her head, she was frozen and had yet to break eyecontact with her. After a few more seconds, Yerin blinked and removed her hand from Eunha's grip harshly. They didn’t talk for the rest of the ride, but one thought kept popping up on Eunha’s mind.

“What was that?”

 


Author's Note:

I know it was Umji who helped Sowon out but Sowon being a perfect prez is part of the storyline so..