The Truth About You and Me

In A World Like Ours

In which Soojung feels unsure

Kai-Krystal_1459543749_af_org.jpgkim-jongin-krystal-jung-exo-kai-jung-soo

ft. f(x) Soojung/Krystal and EXO Jongin/Kai

 

 

 

957

 

 

 

Soojung stares at the fairly new released article.

She skips the content, because she already knows what it's about (she's seen the cover photo), and goes straight to the comments without really wanting to. Her heart beats in trepidation as she scrolls, scrolls, scrolls, her eyes scanning as quickly as they can. She tries to remind herself that the maliciousness, the curse words and death wishes, are all things she expected. She tells herself she's mentally prepared but seeds of doubt begin to sprout within her, and as much as she wants to, she can't seem to tear her eyes away from her phone. The thing that hurts her the most is not the berating words thrown at her, but those thrown at him, Kim Jongin. 

Oh Jongin, she thinks. 

She wonders if he's seen the article.. especially the comments. 

She hopes not. 

Why the company wanted to confirm the fact that the two of them are dating and have been remains a mystery to her. Their two respective groups are already going through a lot with the departure of certain members, and this confirmation, Soojung thinks, surely isn't going to make things any better. The negative reaction from the public is proof. 

She likes to think she can take it. She's been in this business for awhile now, almost ten years actually, and comments like these don't affect her as much as they used. She can take all the hate, all the insults, all the fake things said about her, but this.. 

She glances back at her phone. The article disappears and she receives an incoming call. 

Soojung takes a quick glance at the caller ID and picks up. 

"Hey." 

"Hey." 

Jongin's voice is soft, and just like that, she knows he's seen article. 

"How you holding up, love?"

She presses the phone a little tighter against her ear and sighs a light sigh. "I'm okay I guess. You?" 

She hears him chuckle on the other end and imagines that he's smiling that breathtaking smile of his that she loves so much. She sadly smiles at the thought though, because she wishes she could see it. She wishes she could see him one last time before tomorrow's schedule. 

"As long as you're okay, I'm okay."

Soojung presses her lips in a thin line. She hates it whenever he says that, because she wants to know how he's truly feeling without him taking her feelings into consideration. She knows he's already going through a lot. Jongin has plenty on his plate, and with the reveal of their ongoing relationship from Dispatch, she doesn't want him suffering any more than he already does. It's the last thing he needs. 

"And if I'm really not okay...?" she mumbles. 

There's a small pause before he replies. "Then I'll be here for you like any good boyfriend." 

Despite his comforting words, Soojung still has her doubts. Silently she curls up into a ball on her couch, and suddenly the apartment becomes increasingly empty, and she feels all alone. 

"What were we thinking.." she whispers mindlessly.

"Hey, hey," Jongin's deep voice rings in her ear. "Listen to me. We'll get through this together, okay? Remember as long as we got each other, that's all we need." 

Soojung bites her bottom lip. "I know, but.. we should've been more careful, Jongin. Now you're going to have a hard time because of me, and it's all my fault." 

"None of this is your fault, baby." Jongin assures. "If anything, it's mine. I was the one who wanted to go out on a date in public. I was the one who wanted us to wear couple outfits. It's my fault, okay, and sure we could have been more careful, but I don't regret a single thing, and you know why? Because now the truth is out. Because now the world knows that Jung Soojung is mine and I'm hers. And you of all people know that I've been dying to shout to the entire world that you're the girl I love. I have the most amazing, most beautiful person by my side, and now I don't have to hide that fact anymore. I honestly couldn't be happier." 

The smile on her face grows, and Soojung softens, feeling warm. "You always have a way with yours words, don't you, Kim Jongin? Why are you so charming and why am I so incredibly lucky?"

She waits for him to reply but a knock on her door calls for her attention. With her phone's still pressed against her ear, she gets up to open the door. She wonders who it is, because it's pretty late but doesn't bother to check. The security here is tight, and if anyone's knocking on her door, she knows it's someone she knows.

The door clicks open and she steps to the side to see who it is. 

She blinks, stunned. "Jongin..."  

Kim Jongin stands there with a playful smile and looks at her in absolute affection. In one hand is a tub of mango ice cream, Soojung's favorite. In the other is his phone, pressed against his ear just like hers. He's wearing a simple white tee and jeans with a face mask lowered to his chin, his hair hidden underneath a snapback, and Soojung thinks he looks effortless.

He lifts up the bag and warmly smiles. "I thought maybe we can stuff ourselves with ice cream and cuddle a bit." 

Soojung just shakes her head in disbelief. "Why am I so incredibly lucky?" she repeats, breathless, and walks straight into his arms.

Jongin holds her with a beaming smile. With a warm kiss to the side of her head, he sighs in content.

"I consider myself to be the lucky one." 

 

 


Short, but ugh, I love me some Kaistal.

xoxo, --kayotic