Chapter Six

Of Mentally Handicapped Angels

Baekhyun looked down in shame. They were disgusted with him. He obviously had done something wrong that day but he still didn’t know what it was. Maybe if he asked them they would know. They know a lot of things. Like, how to make kimchi spaghetti and how to play games, and that you should dry your hair properly or you will get sick.

He took a deep breath, trying to stabilise his breathing so he wouldn’t cry. His manager gets mad when he cries. “What did I do wrong?” He mumbled, voice slightly shaky.

“You didn’t do anything wrong, Baekhyunnie. We’re not disgusted with you,” Sehun’s deep voice sounded in his ear, and he jumped a little. “It wasn’t your fault. We’re disgusted with your manager.”

Baekhyun didn’t understand. If he didn’t do anything wrong, then why did he get hit? That doesn’t make any sense. People don’t hit people for no reason. Baekhyun knows that, at least. Why are they disgusted with his manager? Is it because he hit him? He wasn’t expecting for them to be on his side when he told them, he was scared that he might get hit again for telling. He doesn’t like not understanding things. It makes him frustrated.

“Why?” He asked, looking up at Yixing who was wiping off the last of the makeup, eyes shining with unfallen frustrated tears.

Yixing gave him an odd look, “What do you mean, Baekhyunnie?”

“Why did he hit me if I didn’t do anything wrong? That doesn’t make any sense.” Baekhyun urged.

Yixing smiled comfortably again, relaxing Baekhyun a bit. “That’s exactly the point. He didn’t have a reason to hit you, which makes him a bad person. That’s why we are disgusted with him. Do you understand now?” He said.

Baekhyun still didn’t really understand, but he was scared that if he said so then Yixing might get mad at him. So he just nodded silently, which made Yixing’s smile widen and he rubbed Baekhyun’s arm softly to comfort him more. Baekhyun was glad he said he understood, it made his friend smile.

It was at that moment that Jongdae called from the kitchen in his lovably-obnoxious loud voice, signalling that the food was ready. Baekhyun forgot immediately about what had just transpired and happily wriggled out of Sehun’s grasp to skip into the kitchen, his mind set on the food.

The others had conveniently forgotten to mention to Kyungsoo and Jongdae about their discovery so when Kyungsoo screamed and dropped a plate into the sink – luckily it didn’t break – they knew what was up.

“Who punched him!?” Kyungsoo screamed, running over to a very confused Baekhyun who’s mind was still set on the food, despite Kyungsoo’s outburst.

Junmyeon pulled a frantic Kyungsoo and an angry Jongdae out of the room.

“It wasn’t any of us, why the hell would we hit him? It was his manager. Got angry at him for telling some of Jongdae’s lame jokes. He was wearing makeup.” He explained exasperatedly.

“But what about before he took a shower? How could he have makeup on if he’d just woken up?” Kyungsoo asked.

At this, Junmyeon’s averted his eyes to the floor with a frown. “He said he faked it so we wouldn’t think anything was up and ask questions. He said his manager told him not to tell anyone.”

“That sick bastard. If I see one more scratch on Baekhyun I’m going to murder him myself.” Jongdae growled.

“You have my full permission.” Junmyeon smiled in a fake-sweet way.

“And my full cooperation.” Kyungsoo added.


Baekhyun loves kimchi spaghetti. He’s never had it before, and it’s amazing. Whether it’s the food itself, the fact that Kyungsoo cooked it, or the fact that Kyungsoo cooked it for him that makes him like it, Baekhyun doesn’t know. All he knows is that he officially loves kimchi spaghetti.

The members watched Baekhyun almost inhale the food, as though he’s never had real food in his life.

“I assume you like it, Baekhyun?” Chanyeol laughs as Baekhyun looks up from his food with his sauce-covered lips in a smile and a curt nod.

Kyungsoo, Junmyeon and Jongdae had only just come back in and returned to serving everyone their food, and they found it the cutest how Baekhyun had waited for everyone to get their meal and start eating before he even picked up his fork. He really is the sweetest kid, how anyone could hurt him is beyond them.

They conversed about trivial things while eating, Baekhyun only joining in when he paused to breathe between mouthfuls of food. The other members could barely contain their smiles every time he did it. Minseok offered to do the dishes, but Baekhyun insisted that he should do them since it’s his house. Minseok, however, was not having any of that. He practically forced Baekhyun to go sit in the living room with the rest of them, saying it’s the least he could do.

That made Baekhyun confused. The least he could do? For what? Baekhyun hasn’t done anything for him that he knows of. Maybe he has and he’s just forgotten. That’s probably it. He sits down on the couch and looks expectantly at Chanyeol who is seated next to him, fishing through the bag he brought with him. He dug out a black rectangular thing, that Baekhyun assumes is the newest version of the DS his friends had back in school.

“Okay, so I’m going to teach you how to play Mario Kart. It’s a pretty easy game once you get the hang of it and I brought more DS’s so when you’re ready we can all play together. Sound good?” Chanyeol smiles.

“Yeah!” Baekhyun cheered, his hands already reaching for the console that Chanyeol was holding.

He grasped the basic mechanics of the game fairly quickly, surprising Chanyeol and anyone else who was watching the two. He didn’t quite get the concept of turning or drifting, but neither did Chanyeol – or anyone else for that matter – when they first started out.

Baekhyun felt increasingly proud every time Chanyeol or someone else complimented him on how quickly he got the hang of the game. He normally doesn’t get things very quickly so it was a new feeling to Baekhyun. His right cheek hurt a bit from smiling so much today but he wasn’t complaining. Smiling was fun, and if it hurt then so be it.

Chanyeol joined in himself after about an hour, and one by one the other members started joining the game until seven of them were playing and the other two – Yixing and Junmyeon – watched them as they battled to first place. Baekhyun prided himself in not coming last, and when he earned himself second place in one of the races he even jumped up and did a small cheerful dance, much to the joy of everyone else in the room. The sight of a fluffy-haired, beaming Baekhyun wearing an oversized sweater doing his cute little dance made them squeal a little – on the inside or outside.

They spent a good while playing Mario Kart, and before they knew it, it was dark outside and the eight members of EXO had to leave so they’d get enough rest for practice tomorrow. With a hug and a promise from Baekhyun to text each of them, the members made their way back home in quiet contentment.


“Isn’t there some sort of legal action we can take?” Sehun asked Junmyeon as he chose his clothes for his MC job on music bank tomorrow.

“We don’t have any proof that it’s his manager that’s doing it. Even if Baekhyun admits that it was him, chances are that his manager would use his disability against him. He seems to have no problem doing it now.” Junmyeon replied, pausing his ruffling through clothes to look at Sehun with an almost pained look. “And I already spoke to Lee Sooman-seonsaeng-nim about taking legal action, and he said there’s not a lot we can do if he’s not signed under our company.”

Sehun was quiet for a while, before looking up at Junmyeon from where he sat on the bed. “What about the fact that he’s living alone? He’s only seventeen. How can they expect him to be able to live alone at that age, especially if he’s not very smart? Who makes sure he eats? Who makes sure he sleeps? The answer should be his manager, but we all know that’s not the case.” He grumbles.

Junmyeon blinked, the realisation hitting him hard. “I don’t know. We probably should’ve asked him that while we were there. I didn’t even think of that. Why the hell is a seventeen-year-old mentally challenged kid living on his own? Honestly, I swear they’re trying to kill him. And if they’re not well they’re certainly headed that way.” He sighed, before continuing. “You’re close with Baekhyun, right? Ask him why he’s living alone. Where are his parents?” His next thought struck a chord in him. “Does he even have parents? If he does, what the hell have they been doing while their kid is being abused!? And if he doesn’t, why the hell did his company just leave him like that!?” His voice got progressively louder as each new thought came tumbling out of his mouth like a torrent.

“Hyung!” Sehun yelled in an attempt to get Junmyeon out of his frenzy. “I’ll ask him, okay? Just chill out, would you?”

Sehun left as Junmyeon attempted to calm himself down. He sat down next to Chanyeol who was playing video games on the couch.

“What was that all about?” He asked, a mouth full of half-chewed chips. Sehun’s mouth upturned in disgust.

“Finish your food before talking, hyung, you’re getting soggy chip bits everywhere.” Chanyeol quickly finished chewing before repeating his previous question.

Sehun sighed, again. “Baekhyun. He wants me to ask him why he’s living alone then he started hyperventilating or something, yelling about Baekhyun’s parents. I dunno, I stopped listening when he started talking too fast for me to keep up.”

“Come to think of it, why is he living alone? Where are his parents?” Chanyeol asked.

Sehun stopped him before he could continue anymore, “Please, not you too, Chanyeol.”

‘Baekhyunnie! I’ve got a question for you. You don’t have to answer if it makes you uncomfortable, though.’

‘Sure!!! What is your question??”

‘Why are you living alone?’