Chapter Four

Of Mentally Handicapped Angels

“So, basically you’re going to make him an offer to join our company but you want us to become friends with him first so he’ll be more likely to join?”

“Yes.”

“That’s essentially manipulation.”

“It’s better than being abused, don’t you think?”

That eating grin their CEO was wearing told him he’d won.

“Okay.” Junmyeon relented. The other seven members sighed in relief. There would be no arguments today. “What are you going to offer him, though?”

“I’ve offered him to join before, when he debuted everyone was after him, but his managers always refused. I was thinking of getting him to come in one day – with the help of you all, of course – and we could settle it that way. Surely he can’t be that hard to win over.”

At this, all eight of them sent him a disapproving look, but said nothing.

“So, you’ve got a week to become friends with him then bring him in. I’ll go over the details then brief it to your manager at a later date. Thanks for your time.” And with that abrupt end, the members of EXO got up and left the CEO’s office.

 

“Well that went better than expected.” Jongdae muttered loud enough for the members to hear, but only got grunts in reply. So he continued, “How do you suppose we become friends with him? A week isn’t a very long time if you add in schedules – not only ours, but his.”

“For today, just keep texting him. We can visit him sometime this week or something. Jongin, ask him for his address at some point.” Jongin gave a nod of approval and went back to playing on his phone.

Right at that moment, Sehun received a text from none other than Byun Baekhyun himself.

‘Sehun!!!!! hello!!! Waht are you doing!!’

Sehun had a hard time figuring out whether Baekhyun was angry or if he was just excessively using exclamation points until Jongdae got a message as well.

‘Jongdae!!!!! Sehun is sick????’

It seems he likes overusing exclamation points and question marks, Sehun received another message.

‘:) :) JOndgae told me how to do the smile face on the phone!!!!! Its cool!!!! Right??’

‘Yeah, Baekhyun. It’s very cool. I’m coming home from practice now, what are you doing?’

‘Dinner!!!’

‘You make your own dinner?’

‘Yes!!!!! Its very easy!!!! Just poor hot water and wait!!!! But don’t add vegetables because they are not nice!!!!!!’

‘You’re making noodles?’

‘Yes!!!! :) :) :)’

‘Do you have noodles every night?’

‘Yes!!!!! Almost!!!! I really like noodles!!!’

Sehun tapped Kyungsoo on the shoulder from his seat in the car and gave his phone to Kyungsoo in a silent request to read the texts.

“Are you kidding me!? They’re going to kill that kid!” Kyungsoo spat. “I know what we can do.” He announced, not looking up from Sehun’s phone. “We can make Baekhyun something other than noodles. Ask him what foods he likes, Sehun.”

Sehun huffed in playful rebellion, “Ask him yourself, I’m having a conversation about noodles, if you didn’t realise.” Then continued texting to Baekhyun about noodles. They were currently discussing different flavours. Obviously Sehun thought that noodles should be extremely spicy and with vegetables, but Baekhyun thought otherwise.

Kyungsoo doesn’t text often. He doesn’t really see the point of doing so when everyone he needs to talk to is right here – or a car ride away. So it takes him a while to actually send a message to Baekhyun, deleting and rewriting the message over and over again in his haste to not sound too formal or intimidating, but not too friendly that it sounds fake.

He just settles for a ‘Hi, Baekhyun. It’s Kyungsoo.’ And decides that he’ll ease Baekhyun into talking about his favourite foods, rather than asking him straight out.

The reply was almost instantaneous.

‘Hi kyungsoo!!!! :) :)’

He smiled, recalling the conversation that Sehun had had with Baekhyun about the so called ‘smile faces’ that Jongdae taught him to do. ‘What are you doing right now?’

‘Texting to you!! Sehun to!!!!’

‘How have you been lately, Baekhyun?’ Is that too distant? Kyungsoo deletes the message and types another one out. ‘Cool!’ He inwardly cringes at that entire message. ‘How have you been feeling lately?’

‘Good!!! Very happy!! bcause you are all very nice to me!!!!’ Cue a smile.

‘That’s good. Sehun said he’s talking to you about noodles. What other foods do you like?’ Now he just has to wait. Once Baekhyun gives him a good enough answer he’ll give Yixing a list of ingredients to get when he goes out tomorrow.

‘Everything!!’ Of course.

‘Do you like kimchi spaghetti?’

‘I think so!!!’

‘Okay. I’ll make you some kimchi spaghetti. When do you have free time next?’

‘I am free now!!’

‘I can’t now, I have to buy the ingredients. Other than now?’

‘I will check!!!’

‘Okay.’

It took almost an hour for Baekhyun to reply, which made Kyungsoo confused. How does he not know his schedule? Maybe he got caught up with something else?

They’d arrived home already and it appears that Sehun was just as confused as he was as he kept checking his phone every five seconds – Kyungsoo assumes he is waiting for Baekhyun to reply as well.

The members were currently off doing whatever they please with their small amount of freedom before they have to sleep. Sometimes they sit and talk with each other, but after being with everyone for hours on end you eventually get sick of seeing them. Not that they’re bad people, they just need some time to themselves or they might go insane.

Sehun walked into Kyungsoo’s shared room with Jongin and Chanyeol. “Hey, hyung, has Baekhyun been replying to you?”

Kyungsoo sighed. “No. I asked him when he’s free next and he said he’d check and he hasn’t replied since.”

“Oh. Okay. Well I’ll leave you be, then.” And as quickly as he came in, he left.

Ten minutes later, his phone buzzed next to his thigh, making him jump a bit. He immediately knew who it was, because no one else would bother texting him.

‘I am free on wednesday!!!! Sorry I was late!!!’

Wednesday. Perfect, he could get the ingredients tomorrow after practice, he wouldn’t have to ask Yixing to do it. He sent a quick message to Baekhyun asking him for his address then went out to find the other members; something Kyungsoo really did not enjoy doing. They were always scattered around the dorm, some of them were sleeping and sometimes members leave without telling anyone. It’s a mess.

He found Chanyeol and Jongin were playing video games in the living room, he wasn’t entirely sure if they heard him when he said they were going to Baekhyun’s on Wednesday after practice and if they didn’t, well, they’re in for a surprise. Minseok was cleaning the bathroom for some unknown reason (it wasn’t even that dirty) and smiled when he informed him. Yixing was composing – or at least attempting, with Jongdae being his loud self right next to him – and offered to go with Kyungsoo to the store to get the ingredients. Really, Yixing was one of the kindest people he’d ever met. God knows where Junmyeon is, probably arguing with the manager about whether or not he should be allowed to do certain gags on stage but no, Junmyeon, you cannot do inappropriate things. Which would be followed by a loud exclamation that It’s not inappropriate! and an eruption of laughter from anyone and everyone eavesdropping. Apparently Sehun already knew, so Kyungsoo figures Baekhyun must have told him. Either that or he heard him yelling at Chanyeol and Jongin.

-

Chanyeol woke up the next morning with an ultimatum; Find out if Baekhyun plays games. If he doesn’t, suggest him some games to play. Or he could show them to him when they visit tomorrow. He really needs something to be able to relate to Baekhyun with or the whole ‘friendship’ thing isn’t really going to work out. He already knows that Baekhyun is quite loud, from what he’s heard, so that’s already one thing. Not enough to go off, though.

Everyone was given Baekhyun’s number that day, and some of the other members have already become friends with Baekhyun through texts. Even the ever-shy Kyungsoo has. And Kyungsoo never texts. Ever. But apparently Baekhyun is easy to talk to – according to Sehun, who had a two hour long debate over instant noodles with him yesterday.

So, with his ultimatum in mind, he pulls out his phone and sends a quick text to him.

‘Good morning Baekhyunnie! Did you get enough sleep? Or did Sehun text you too much? ;)’

‘Good morning!!! I did!! Sehun didn’t text me too much, no!! I like talking to him!!! :) Did Jongdae teach you how to do the smile as well!’ Cute.

‘Nah. I learnt it myself!’

‘That is cool!!!’

‘I know, right?’

‘Yes!!!’ Well that conversation lasted long.

‘Do you play games, Baekhyun?’ Might as well get straight to the point.

‘I played some in school but I was not very good at them’ Chanyeol was about to reply when another text came through. ‘Do you play games?’

‘Yeah! I can teach you how to play games if you want me to. Tomorrow, when we come over.’

‘I’d like that!!!’

‘Okay! It’s settled, then. I’ll bring some games for you to play, Baekhyunnie! See you tomorrow :)’

‘Ok!! See you tomorrow too!’