Chapter Fourteen

Of Mentally Handicapped Angels

Junmyeon had explained the situation to the others. Baekhyun would be appearing in court in three weeks. Some of them would be speaking as witnesses – namely Junmyeon and Jongdae, as they’d been the ones that were there when they saw Baekhyun almost get hit – and a few of the staffs from Baekhyun’s old company offered to speak as well.

The lawyer had arranged for a psychologist to come in and talk to Baekhyun to assess the psychological damage the entire situation has had on him and whether or not he is really fit to be able to speak in front of his abuser.

Word had gotten out about the lawsuit against the company and it was the hottest topic in Korea for quite some time. People had also noticed EXO’s apparent affiliation with Baekhyun and the members of EXO were glad to see that their fans were speaking up in support of Baekhyun, rather than bashing him. Why would they bash him? Well, some fans have some screws loose in all honesty.

The singer in the centre of everything seemed to be taking everything quite well, considering his current predicament. Aside from the panic attack he’d had in the office that one time, he’d been relatively calm about everything. He’d had a few conversations with the psychologist already, and the man had told them that Baekhyun pretty much only reacted like he did that one time because he thought he was going to get hit for not knowing something. He explained to them that it has probably been going on for a lot longer than just now – the abuse, that is. Whether Baekhyun or the people actually doing it realised, he was being abused most likely from a young age. Not physically, but mentally. The idea that he would be punished for not knowing something, making a mistake, or getting something wrong has been so deeply engrained in his mind it will take a while for him to be able to move away from that. He’ll need to be shown support from everyone, not just those directly around him, that making mistakes is okay and that he won’t be punished or it, in order for him to make a recovery.

They’d all noticed this, of course. The flinching when someone raised a hand near him or yelled when he was in the room, the questions of “Is this okay?” and his constant need for validation that he hadn’t made a mistake and that they weren’t going to hit him and even if he did make a mistake, he wouldn’t be hit.

Chanyeol and Baekhyun had become practically attached at the hip. They were constantly around each other, Chanyeol finding the other’s presence something akin to a breath of fresh air – much like the rest of them – and the smaller of the two found the other’s presence warm and safe. The others had expected it to happen, with their similar interests, Chanyeol’s protective personality and Baekhyun being the cutest, most innocent thing they’d ever laid eyes on.

He and the overly-tall male had spent most of their time gaming together, with Chanyeol teaching Baekhyun all sorts of games and soon enough they both were battling for first place in just about every game, keeping the other members awake until ungodly hours at night with their screaming and laughing.

They were very touchy with each other, which was obvious given their affectionate personalities, and the other members found it absolutely adorable every time they found the two snuggled up next to each other, having fallen asleep on the couch the night before mid-game.

The three weeks passed without them realising it, and it soon came time for them all to appear in court. It was scary, honestly. None of them had thought they’d be appearing in court so early in their lives, albeit at all.

They just hoped that the company would lose without much resistance. Although they were pretty certain that the jury would take Baekhyun’s side anyway.

Jaekwang was waiting for them outside of the courtroom with the psychologist, and upon seeing their group of nine walking towards them, gave them all a huge reassuring smile, confident that they will win.

Baekhyun hadn’t spoken the entire car ride there, and was currently avoiding eye contact, and none of them knew what to do to console him. Chanyeol had grabbed his left and Kyungsoo his right, knowing that actions were more effective than words at this point.

They hadn’t yet run into his manager or anyone of the likes, which they were thankful for but they knew it was only a matter of time.

Jaekwang gave them another quick rundown of what was going to happen when they went in there. They’d be seated, the judge would explain a few things, people would get settled, then they’d leave everything up to him. The only thing they really had to do – other than Junmyeon and Jongdae, who were testifying – was sit and keep Baekhyun calm.

Of course, that would prove to be somewhat more difficult than they’d imagined it to be once they entered the room.

Baekhyun had locked eyes with his manager and frozen stiff. Numbness slowly overtook his body and he soon felt as though he wasn’t even there – flashbacks of what had occurred that day and the helplessness he had felt and the pain he had felt all came rushing back at once.

Why? Why? He thought he was okay. He had everyone he knows around him and they would protect him but what if they can’t and what if he gets up and comes over what will he do what will his manager do to him and oh no he’s going to die he knew he shouldn’t have done anything –

He was snatched from his thoughts when strong arms wrapped around him gently, not too hard as to frighten him but enough to offer the comfort that he needed in that moment. His face was pushed into a hard chest and he really didn’t care who it was but he was thankful. The feeling of dissociation lingered but the flashbacks were gone.

He allowed himself to be swiftly guided to a chair as he sat down stiffly, not making eye contact with anything but the floor and his shoes. Which were a soft blue. The colour calmed him down a little without him realising it.

The judge was quick to introduce everything and get the whole thing started, Baekhyun hadn’t listened to a word the middle-aged man had spoken, but Jaekwang had said that he would handle everything so he didn’t have to worry much.

Everything passed by so quickly and before he knew it, it was his turn to speak. Sitting in front of everyone, he couldn’t help but hold his breath in fear of doing something embarrassing. The members of EXO had noticed this and attempted to catch his attention. When the tiny boy finally looked up and made eye contact with Sehun, the rapper had mouthed a short “Breathe” and a reassuring smile to the boy, which had visibly calmed him down.

“So, Baekhyun-ssi, what exactly is it that you claim Choi Daesuk has done to you?” He flinched at the mention of his manager’s name, he was never allowed to call him by his name; only ‘manager-nim’ and such.

Baekhyun hesitated for a brief moment, before replying with a meek, “He hit me.”

The man pursed his lips, looking condescendingly down at the small brunette. “I’m going to need more details than that, Baekhyun-ssi.”

The direction the conversation was going in was worrying to both Junmyeon, the psychologist, and Jaekwang. Two of whom had already witnessed how he reacts to these sorts of questions and the psychologist who had been analysing Baekhyun for any signs of a panic attack.

As soon as his breathing started to quicken and his body started to shake subtly, the psychologist had ordered someone to get him a drink of water.

Baekhyun’s vision was too blurred by the flashbacks of it all, a repeat of earlier that day was happening but this time there was no strong arms and hard chest to get him out of it. He had to save himself this time, but what he needed to do was realise that.

When he’d still not calmed himself down and the psychologist had convinced the judge to let someone close to him attempt to calm him, the other members had immediately pushed Chanyeol up there, remembering how easily Baekhyun had calmed down when the taller male had hugged him earlier.

That’s all it took for the small singer to relax, seemingly melting into putty in the other male’s arms – already tired albeit only having been asked one question.

Chanyeol wanted to stay there for the remainder of the questioning but he knew he wasn’t allowed to, so he dejectedly made his way back to his seat and earned himself a thankful pat on the thigh and shoulder from Yixing and Minseok respectively.

“I’ll have to ask that question again, now that you’ve calmed down. Can you explain what he did that day in detail, please?” The man held absolutely no remorse or sympathy in his voice, obviously a side effect of being a lawyer. Then again, Jaekwang was exceptionally kind and understanding, so maybe the other guy was just an .

The was a long moment of silence and everyone thought it was going to happen again until Baekhyun finally spoke up, albeit extremely softly.

“He… That day…” He began. “I said to someone I trusted that I was going to file a lawsuit against the company because of what they were doing to me but then she walked away towards his office and I knew she was going to tell him even when she said she wouldn’t so I went and hid in the practice room and I didn’t think he would find me but he did and… and…” His voice was trembling towards the end, the flurry of words that had left his mouth so quickly had taken everyone a while to sink in. The man was kind enough to give Baekhyun a few moments to compose himself as the everyone else looked on with concern etched on their faces.

Jongin looked over to Baekhyun’s old manager and grit his teeth in anger. The man was smiling. Smiling at Baekhyun’s pain. How the hell could someone be so heartless? What did Baekhyun do to deserve this? He knew bad things happen to good people but why the does it have to be that way?

“And?” The man asked, voice still as stern and patronizing as it was previously.

“I-I don’t really remember much about what happened. H-he just g-grabbed me by my hair and… and th-then everything hurt so I started screaming, b-but the practice rooms are soundproof so no one could h-hear me…” His eyesight was blurred by his tears so he didn’t see the looks that everyone was giving him, his voice was shaking so much that you could barely make out what he was saying but by everyone’s expressions, they did.

The lawyer once again pursed his lips as he looked at Baekhyun. “Is there any proof of this?”

Baekhyun was shocked at the question, was he supposed to have proof? How would he have proof? He was the only one in the room and no one from his company would stand up for him, they all hate him. “I-I don’t know…”

“Objection!” Jaekwang yelled, hoping to save Baekhyun, who looked as though he was about to pass out, from the situation. “This is not relevant to the witness. He has undergone emotional trauma and is has a mental disability, the other witnesses are the proof.”

The judge sustained the objection and the lawyer decided that he wouldn’t get anything else out of Baekhyun. A few of the staffs had testified for him and relayed that they had found Baekhyun bleeding on the floor of the practice room after getting worried when he hadn’t come out for an hour. They’d also spoken up about the previous incidents of abuse that they had all been witness to, and Jongdae and Junmyeon had also spoken about the time that they’d seen Baekhyun about to be hit by his manager at Music Bank.

In the end, much to everyone’s – apart from a select few people – happiness, Choi Daesuk was found guilty of all charges and Baekhyun was released from his contract with YG. The smaller male held no resentment towards the company, while the members of EXO low-key held resentment towards them, they couldn’t help feeling that way.

The brunette singer hadn’t opened his mouth since he got down from the podium. It made the other members slightly worried but they knew that now nothing could hurt him. They’d left the courtroom in haste to get away from Daesuk’s furious glare.