Chapter Sixteen

Of Mentally Handicapped Angels

“How many pieces of chicken have you had?” Sehun asked, pointing a scrutinising look in Jongin’s direction.

“Fifteen.”

“Are you okay?”

“Nah.”

Sehun sighed, Chanyeol was laughing off somewhere in the background and Minseok was gently patting Jongin – who looked like he was about to throw up – on the head.

“Maybe next time you should eat less, hm?” Minseok grimaced.

“Yeah…”

They’d just finished some practicing for their next comeback and Jongin had insisted that they order chicken for lunch, they hadn’t really expected him to eat fifteen pieces, hell they didn’t even think it was possible. Though it’s not like they’ve got anywhere to be anytime soon, so it’s alright.

The others had already finished their food and gone to do their own thing for a while. They were currently practicing and rehearsing for their comeback, the first one since Baekhyun joined their group and they were determined to make it the best one they’ve done so far. Nothing could be worse than Wolf, though. The embarrassment Sehun had felt every time they were asked to growl or howl in interviews made him cringe even just at the thought of it.

Baekhyun seemed to be working the hardest. He’d thought that no one could work harder than Jongdae, who thought he had to work exceptionally hard because he had a short training period, and Yixing, who was just a naturally hard worker, Baekhyun appeared.

Of course, he didn’t really need the training seeing as though his voice makes your heart melt regardless of age or gender and he’s already had experience being solo, so that already means he’s pretty used to variety and such. But that didn’t stop him from continuously asking Kyungsoo, Minseok and Jongdae for singing lessons, or Jongdae, Junmyeon and Chanyeol for help with variety, or Jongin, Yixing and himself for dance lessons.

They were all happy to oblige, but they seriously didn’t see the reason why he was asking for help when he was even better at some of the stuff when compared to them. He was a master at variety, but maybe the kid just didn’t notice it. He didn’t have a sense of awkwardness for some reason, so he always managed to lighten the mood when everyone else was too tense to do it. Which is what the needed in the group, in all honesty. Especially recently, with all the questions about the ex-members and such.

“Sehun!” He heard his name called out in the slowly-becoming-familiar voice and as usual, missing the ‘hyung’.

He turned around and came face to face with a small brunette with a pretty eye-smile.

“Jongin said he was going to teach me the choreography to Growl tomorrow, and he said you have to help.”

As long as it’s not Wolf. “Okay, Baekhyunnie. When are we doing it?”

Baekhyun thought for a moment, before his eyes lit up in recollection. “After practice with the others. He said we should eat first, though.”

Of course Jongin would think about food first and foremost. He chuckled. “Alright.” And with that, Baekhyun scurried off – probably to ask another member for help.

Right then, a deep voice interrupted his thoughts.

Chanyeol.

“Hey.”

“What’s up?” He asked. Chanyeol sounded serious, and anyone who knows him well enough will know that he doesn’t get serious very often; the overgrown puppy that he is.

“I’m angry.” Always to the point, as well.

“Why?”

“The fans are ting on Baekhyun real hard. I don’t know what to do to stop them.” The tall rapper grumbled as he plopped down to sit next to him.

Of course the fans were ting on him. They were complaining that people left now they’re complaining that someone came. Their fans are ever hard to please.

“Why don’t you write a post or something?”

“I was thinking that. But I also thought we could push him in their faces or something. Like, post a bunch of selcas with him. Not just me, but you guys, too.” Chanyeol turned to Sehun and looked at him expectantly. That plan is better. Trying to solve it without expressing anger at the fans is probably the best way to go about it without losing too many fans.

Though, they’ll undoubtedly end up making that post anyway.

“Sure. But the others don’t have Instagram.”

“Well we can just take photos with more than one of us in them, then. And we can’t make it obvious. Like, have him in the background with someone, looking all happy and .” Chanyeol said. “And it’s got to look natural.”

“Alright. When are we doing this?”

“Whenever. If you see him happy and with someone take a selca and make sure they’re in the background.” The taller nodded as if happy with his own plan.

“Sure.”


Chanyeol was angry. He’d been elated when Baekhyun had joined their group, but that quickly changed when he witnessed the fans reactions to the new addition to their group.

There were comments on each of their Instagram accounts, their Twitter feeds were full of comments, fans were sending letters and spamming their fan-sites and such with hate towards Baekhyun. He’d seen a few nice comments amongst the bad, with things like ‘I’m glad EXO has taken Baekhyun in! Can’t wait to see him in action with you guys! Fighting!’ and such, but the good was greatly outweighed by the bad ones. Telling the small singer to leave the group, calling him all sorts of ugly names, and – worst of all – telling him to kill himself.

He would’ve thought the fans would be more understanding when it came to this situation seeing as though a month ago they were all showing their utmost support for Baekhyun when he was going through everything with his manager, but apparently he put too much faith in their fans.

He didn’t want to get angry at their fans, he knew that they loved EXO a lot and they really do care about them but it’s times like these when he really can’t help it.

There was something about Baekhyun that made him want to protect him. Maybe it’s because he’s so small? Or because of what he’s been through? Maybe something else? Whatever the reason, Chanyeol can’t control it.

He’d already taken it upon himself to take a photo of himself with the smaller male and post it on his Instagram. He knew the comments would just be full of hate and the occasional supportive message but he’d planned everything out with Sehun. They just have to get the fans to see how much of a sweetheart Baekhyun really is and that all the members are already exceptionally close with him and maybe the hate will stop.

Of course, it’ll never stop completely, but hopefully it will die down a great deal and relatively quickly.

He opened up Instagram on his phone and went to check the comments section on his latest photo. His expectations proved to be correct. He smiled, recalling the exact moment he’d taken the photo.

“Hey, Baekhyunnie. What are you up to?” Chanyeol grinned as he stood behind the singer who was seated on the lounge as he munched on something Kyungsoo had made him that the taller male couldn’t remember the name of.

Baekhyun jumped a little at the sudden loud voice, before craning his neck to look up at Chanyeol and smiled. “I’m eating these things Kyungsoo made. They’re really nice.” He praised, the food in his mouth making his words a little hard to understand and making his cheeks puff out like a squirrel.

The rapper couldn’t help but think he looked adorable like this – looking up at him with his cute puffy cheeks, twinkling eyes and brown fluffy hair.

“Yeah. I’ve have them before, I wish I could bake. I only know how to cook.”

Baekhyun laughed a bit before returning his head to its previous position. “Well, that’s more than I can do.”

Chanyeol moved to sit next to the shorter boy and figured if he thought Baekhyun looked adorable as hell right now, so would their fans. He got his phone out and shuffled a little closer to the brunette.

“Baekhyun.”

Said male looked up and his eyes widened as Chanyeol pressed the button.

“Why?” He whined, not liking the picture at all. His hair was a mess, eyes were wide, cheeks were puffed out and he wasn’t wearing any makeup at all. Chanyeol thought it was cute, though, so he posted it with the caption ‘Enjoying Kyungsoo’s baking!!’ along with a myriad of emojis.

“You looked cute.” The taller smiled.

Doing his best to show his disapproval, Baekhyun pouted and mumbled a small, “Did not…” But the flush across his cheeks proved otherwise.

Seriously, the guy was too adorable for his own good. Chanyeol chuckled to himself absentmindedly, earning him a strange look from Yixing who was sitting across from him, working on a new composition.

Funnily enough, Baekhyun was great at composing. Being an ex-solo artist obviously had its perks, and the small singer was currently working on a few songs – he’d refused to let any of them hear them until they were done, though. Which was a shame, but if Baekhyun’s solo songs are anything to go by, the guy is an amazing composer.

He and Yixing would surely be able to come up with some amazing songs for their next comeback. That might also make the fans like him more, he hopes.