Chapter Three

Of Mentally Handicapped Angels

Baekhyun didn’t understand a lot of things. He forgot a lot of things, but he also remembered a lot of things. He forgets to eat sometimes, and sometimes he forgets the lyrics to his own songs, but he does remember each time his manager hit him. And the previous one. And the previous one.

He doesn’t really understand why they do it. Sometimes he will just be sitting there, composing or practicing his singing, and they will come in and start yelling at him. Yelling words that he sometimes doesn’t know the meaning of. But he prefers it when he doesn’t know the meaning of words than when he does. If he doesn’t understand then it won’t hurt.

But he also remembers that Kyungsoo gives very nice hugs. And that Jongin likes to send people pictures of his puppies – which Baekhyun has decided he really wants to meet – and that Jongdae likes to send people jokes that he usually doesn’t get but laughs at anyway. He also remembers that Junmyeon, Yixing, and Minseok like to send him messages telling him to eat, drink, and sleep, and ask him if he’s okay, which he doesn’t really understand why they do that either. Sehun likes to send him funny photos of his friends. They make Baekhyun laugh a lot.

Baekhyun really likes funny things, and sometimes when his manager yells at him with words he doesn’t understand he finds it funny, so he laughs. That only makes his manager madder, though. But Baekhyun doesn’t understand why. Who doesn’t like laughing? Laughing means something is funny and everyone likes funny things.

So, Baekhyun has decided to try and make his manager laugh. Then he will see how fun it is.

He tells Kyungsoo of his plans to make his manager laugh, and Kyungsoo doesn’t seem to like his plan. Why, though? Does Kyungsoo not like laughter, either?

Kyungsoo says it’s because his manager does not like laughing or laughter in general, but that can’t be true.

He texts Jongdae to send him some jokes that will make someone laugh, but Jongdae only replies with ‘All the jokes I’ve sent you will make people laugh, Baekhyunnie! Just use those ones!’ with about ten smiley faces attached to the end of the message. Baekhyun wonders how he made those smiley faces.

Even though he doesn’t really understand Jongdae’s jokes, he tells them to his manager while they’re in the practice room anyway. The other staffs laugh at his joke but his manager doesn’t. His face scrunches up like he really needs to go to the bathroom, so Baekhyun asks him if he does. His manager’s face goes red and Baekhyun figures he must be embarrassed, so Baekhyun beams at him and tells him that there’s no need to be embarrassed about it and that he should just go because it’s unhealthy to hold it in, and that’s when his manager snaps.

The other staffs gasp and rush to stop him as his manager punches Baekhyun across the face with a yell of “You little !” Baekhyun doesn’t know what he did wrong. He doesn’t know what a is either – despite the countless times he’s heard the word – but the tone of his manager’s voice makes him cry anyway. The staffs hurry over to him and try to calm him down but he’s just repeatedly asking “What did I do? What did I do?” and the staffs don’t know that to do with him.

His manager storms out after being held back by another man that is almost twice the size of him, and it is only then that Baekhyun calms down.

He asks the staff what he did wrong, and again he got no answer. Did he do nothing wrong? But if he didn’t then his manager wouldn’t have hit him, so he must have.

The staffs leave him on his own to practice once they’re sure he’s not going to break down again, and Baekhyun immediately gets out his phone and texts Jongdae, his mood already lightened at the thought of his new friends.

‘Jondgae!!!! How do you do the smile face in the phone!!!!!’

He composes half a song in the time it takes for Jongdae to reply, and Baekhyun was glad that he did because he was starting to think that Jongdae didn’t understand what he meant by ‘smile face’ and he was panicking because he didn’t know how else to explain it.

‘Press the little 123 button on the bottom left of the keyboard, then press the : and then the ) and it will end up like this :)’

‘Like this!!!!! :) :) :) :) it cool!!!!!!’

‘Yes it is cool, right? :)’

‘Yes!!!!! :) :)’

Baekhyun really likes having friends.