Chapter Twenty-Seven

Of Mentally Handicapped Angels

“Chanyeollie?” Baekhyun whispered into the room.

Chanyeol’s head shot up at the younger’s voice, but he didn’t reply.

“I’m sorry, Chanyeollie.” Despite Sehun’s words, Baekhyun still felt the need to apologise to Chanyeol.

The rapper was facing away from Baekhyun, so the smaller missed the small frown on the older male’s face.

“What for?” He asked.

Baekhyun bit his lip, he wasn’t entirely sure what he was sorry for.

“For, uh, making you mad. I think.”

Chanyeol sighed and turned around to face the other.

“I’m not mad, Baekhyun. I’m upset, yes, but there’s a difference between being mad and being upset.”

Baekhyun tilted his head in confusion.

“I was scared, Baekhyun. I thought you were going to be taken away from me and then when you ran away I thought I was going to lose you completely. I was so relieved when I found you but you looked like you were in so much pain it terrified me.” He moved to gently rest his hand on Baekhyun’s neck, over the bandages.

“It scared me the most to see you hurt yourself like this. I can protect you from everyone, Baek – everyone but yourself,” He said, his voice distorted as he tried to hold back the tears. “Promise me. Promise me you’ll be more careful from now on. Don’t talk to anyone that you don’t know or we don’t know, okay? Not even if they seem nice.”

Baekhyun was staring up at him like he was something he’d never seen before in his life. He gave Chanyeol a cute smile and the rapper felt his chest warm at the sight.

“Okay, I promise. You don’t have to protect me, though. I’m okay on my own.”

Chanyeol shook his head.

“No, I need to protect you. The world isn’t like you, Baek. The world isn’t kind. There’s more good in the world than there is bad, but the bad is much more obvious. And opposites attract.” He smiled sadly.

Baekhyun didn’t say anything, he simply moved to sit on the taller male’s lap, faced him and gave him a bright smile. He didn’t exactly get what Chanyeol said, but he knew that he really, really liked him.

Chanyeol loved that smile on Baekhyun’s face. It wasn’t a half-smile, or just a casual smile, or a sad one. It reminded him of stars, far away from any city lights – making them stand out against the darkness of the sky.

I love you. He wished he could say as he wrapped his arms around Baekhyun gently, much alike the time before. Only this time, it felt different. Something else was there.

“I was scared, too.” He heard Baekhyun say, breaking the comfortable silence that fell over the two.

“It made me remember things. I don’t like it when that happens,” Baekhyun mutters. “I don’t like remembering anything. I want it to go away but it won’t and it’s scary.”

The taller male didn’t know what to say, so he didn’t say anything. Actions speak louder than words, and the tightening of his grip around Baekhyun’s waist proved that.

They ended up falling asleep in that position. When he woke up Chanyeol’s back was sore from sleeping sitting up, but a little pain in his back is nothing compared to what Baekhyun went through.

If the other members had seen the two cuddling together the previous night, they didn’t mention anything about it or even insinuate that they saw, to which Chanyeol was thankful. They had a schedule later that day and the rapper was planning on spending the morning in his studio. He hadn’t had a chance to compose anything recently due to their heavy schedules, so he was happy to finally have an opportunity.

He allowed himself to completely relax once he entered his studio. The plastic and wooden smells of the guitars, tables, and other equipment mixed together to create a particular scent that always managed to calm him down.

He spent roughly two hours composing a short song, and he was proud of the result. The only problem was that he couldn’t think of any lyrics. That was always the hardest part. Not the actual writing of the lyrics, but finding the inspiration.

He thought for a long time. He thought about his life, what’s changed, what’s the same, who’s come and who’s gone. He thought about the fans, he thought about the members. But only one thing – or person, rather – kept turning up in his mind. He grabbed a pen quickly before the thoughts faded.

Boy,

No. He can’t write that. People will think he’s gay, which he is, but they don’t know that.

Boy, Girl, perhaps you are trying to hide

Your wings and many charms that I don’t know of behind your small shoulders

In his opinion, Baekhyun had the most charms in the group. It used to be Jongin, but recently – at least for him – Baekhyun has taken that title. The fans noticed his charms recently, too. The pink-haired vocalist’s amazing voice and adorable personality definitely caught the attention of many fans.

Girl, I don’t know since when

When did it happen? Chanyeol can’t give a straight answer, not even to himself. Maybe it was when Baekhyun first sung on stage with them? Or maybe when they first met and he just didn’t realise? Maybe it was when he almost lost him? He doubts it was love at first sight. That kind of stuff only exists in fairy tales. Sure, someone you meet might be the person you’re supposed to fall in love with, but you grow to love them. It doesn’t happen immediately.

I keep smiling more without knowing

People point it out to him. ‘You’ve been happier recently, Chanyeol. It’s good to see.’ And he is happier. A lot happier.

And thoughts of you fill my mind

When I open my eyes every day rather than (thinking of) breakfast

I think of your face and the smile spreads across my face

It’s true. Chanyeol can’t help himself. Baekhyun’s face – his smile, is enough to make his day better regardless of anything that happened. Seeing Baekhyun truly smile, when his lips stretch so wide and push his cheeks up to his eyes and forms crinkles on the sides of his eyes makes warmth spread through Chanyeol’s chest, like the sun has embodied itself there.

I spend all day working hard daily to make money again

Why don’t I feel sick of it, I’m only enjoying it

He doesn’t think he will ever get sick of seeing Baekhyun.

“Have I told you this before?” Baekhyun asked, eyes twinkling with excitement.

Chanyeol shook his head even though he’s heard the exact same story four times already.

It’s fascinating how a girl like you

Entered my heart and refused to leave

Really, who would’ve expected it? Chanyeol, an internationally-known rapper from a famous Korean boy group discovered he was gay for a cute boy with fluffy pink hair.

I want to keep the door to my heart wide open

I made this song when I thought of you so listen

I’ll wait for you. Hopefully Baekhyun feels the same way he does. Or at least hopefully he grows to feel the same way he does.

I hum lalalalala every day

Your pretty pictures keep filling up my album one by one, baby.

He wonders if he will ever really get used to seeing Baekhyun. Every time he sees the younger male he manages to take his breath away. Every time.

When I open or close my eyes I always think of you, babe.

His beautiful rectangular smile that lights up his face, his plump lower lip and thin upper lip that seem like they would fit together with his perfectly, his adorably-droopy eyes that are always sparkling, his cute button-nose that compliments his face so flawlessly, his perfect teeth and his soft and oh-so-silky hair.

There’s nothing as beautiful as you anywhere

His pretty hands, his wonderfully squishy, soft tummy and his round thighs and , but we won’t go there. The way he is the perfect height for Chanyeol to lean his chin on the top of his head without getting pain in the back of his neck. Chanyeol likes to think about how well they fit together, he’d be lying if he said it wasn’t one of his favourite pastimes.

You are (I just want to tell you today)

If only he could tell him.

You are (I want to hold your hand)

If only they could do so without worrying about being caught on camera.

You are (Even when I pretend that’s not it)

He must pretend. It’s the only way they’ll stay safe.

Actually I only think of you

Chanyeol wished Baekhyun knew.

You are (I just want to tell you today)

You are (I want to hold your hand uh)

You are (even when I pretend that’s not it)