Confusion

Adore u, Pretty u

Mari was sitting silently in the corner of the room. She looked up and watched how Seungcheol was still trying to open the door.

Mari flinched as Seungcheol hit the door with his foot. Looks like he gave up.

“Sunbae,” Mari called him softly. Seungcheol turned to her, “It’s okay. You don’t have to force yourself. Come on sit with me.”

Seungcheol let out a big sigh. He slowly walked towards Mari and sat next to her. “I’m sorry. It’s my fault.”

“No, sunbae. It’s our fault.” Mari shook her head, “If I didn’t come to you… this wouldn’t happen. I’m sorry.”

Seungcheol turned to Mari and laughed. Mari turned to him and gave him a confused look, “Sunbae, why are you laughing?”

“You and Yeorum.” Seungcheol stopped laughing and looked at Mari, “You guys are cute.”

Mari blushed and turned away. She couldn’t help but feel so happy to hear that. Even though Seungcheol mentioned Yeorum as well. “If I have a little sister, I wonder if she would be like you.”

“We’re sorry, sunbae… you know… Yeorum loves breaking the rules.” Mari sighed.

“It’s okay.” Seungcheol smiled, “Have you ever break the rules like this? And getting locked with a guy like tonight?”

Mari started to laugh, “No. Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s fun though.”

“So, what did Vernon tell you this noon?”

Mari gasped as she remembered Vernon, “He told me not to sneak out! And I did! Gosh! If he knew he would nag more than my mom.”

Seungcheol laughed, “You two are really close.”

“Of course!” Mari excitedly turned to Seungcheol, “We’ve been together even since we were in our mommies’ tummies.” She giggled.

Seungcheol smiled, “How lucky Vernon, I wish I was in his position. I swear there will be so many guys wanted to be there with you.”

“Sunbae, don’t tell me that.” Mari laughed.

“But, I’m super serious right now.”

Mari turned to him and smiled, “Thank you, sunbae.”

They suddenly were silent, didn’t know what else to talk about. Mari realized of the strange atmosphere and cleared .

“Then… What should we do now? I didn’t bring my phone. I left in my bag.” Mari said.

“Me neither.”

Mari sighed. She wonder what Yeorum doing right now. Were they hiding like them as well?

“What about Yeorum, Jeonghan and Joshua sunbae?” Mari asked.

Seungcheol shook his head. And Mari sighed again.

After a few minutes, Seungcheol heard footsteps outside the room.

Seungcheol turned to Mari and told her to stay still and Mari nodded. Seungcheol carefully peeked.

“I was right.” Someone said.

Seungcheol smiled and turned to Mari, “It’s okay, Mari.”

Mari turned to the door. The door suddenly opened and she saw Yeorum there as well as Jeonghan and Joshua.

“Mari-ya!” Yeorum ran towards Mari, “You okay?”

Mari nodded with a smile, “How did you know we were here?”

“We were just guessing.” Jeonghan said with a smile on his face.

“So… Are we still going to sneak out? Or not?” Mari turned to her seniors and her bestfriend.

Yeorum seemed like she really wanted to do it but Seungcheol wasn’t sure.

“I don’t want you guys to get in trouble. So, it’s a no no.” Seungcheol stated.

“Sunbae, you’re no fun.” Yeorum pouted, crossing her arms and walked away.

“Yeorum-ah!” Mari ran over to her.

“She’s sulking.” Joshua laughed. “How about us?”

“Let’s go,” Jeonghan nodded and Seungcheol followed him as well as Joshua.

 

***

 

The 2nd Day of their camp fire, Mari was exhausted. She watched how her teacher explaining the lesson but her mind wasn’t in the class.

She looked down to her table and put her hand on her forehead.

“Mari?” Yeorum whispered, calling her name. Mari slowly turned to her, “Are you okay?” Yeorum asked again. Mari just nodded her head.

“Kim Mari?” Suddenly, the teacher called her name. “Can you answer this question?”

Mari looked up, “Sure…” She weakly replied the teacher and stood up of the chair. But suddenly, she lost her balance and passed out.

“Mari!” Yeorum ran over to her, “She has fever,”

“Take her to the infirmary.”

 

***

 

“What do you think they are doing right now?”

In the Vernon’s school, Hoshi and Vernon were having lunch in their cafeteria.

Vernon raised his head, “Who do you mean?”

“Your bestfriend, Mari. Seungcheol hyung, Jisoo hyung and Jeonghan hyung.” Hoshi answered as he kept eating.

“Oh… That camp fire?” Mingyu asked.

“Studying.” Vernon replied.

“You’re so cold to your bestfriend.” Hoshi quipped.

“I think so too.” Wonwoo added.

Vernon stared to his friends who continued talking about them. Vernon was wondering to, honestly. Vernon stood up of his chair as he made Mingyu raised his head and looked to Vernon, “Where are you going?”

“Mm… Restroom.” Vernon replied as he quickly left the cafeteria.

He took out his phone and searching for Mari’s name. He stared at his phone for a few minutes until he was sure to call her. He put his phone to his ear and waited to Mari to answer it.

Hello?”

Vernon frowned, “Who is this? Isn’t this Kim Mari’s phone?”

This is Yeorum.”

“Why the hell are you answering her phone? Give it to her.”

Mari was exhausted. She has fever. We’re in the infirmary right now.”

“What? Is she okay? How bad is it?”

She’ll be okay. The nurse said like that.”

“You know she can’t be too tired! Can’t she go home?”

The teacher already said like that. But she didn’t want to.”

“Why didn’t she wants to?!”

She said she wanted to go to the Camp Fire so she can be with Seungcheol sunbae.”

Vernon paused as Yeorum said that. He put away his phone from his ear and he could hear Yeorum called his name. He hung up his phone and walked away from there with a serious face.

***

“Vernon called you.”

Yeorum told Mari as soon as she woke up. Mari widened her eyes, “What?! Did you tell him what happened last night?!”

“Just about what happened today. But then he suddenly hung up his phone.” Yeorum shrugged.

“Huh? Why?”

“I don’t know.” Yeorum shook her head, “Are you okay?”

“I’m fine now.” Mari smiled.

“You should just go home.”

“You know I can’t miss the camp fire tonight.” Mari said, “I want to be with Seungcheol sunbae.”

“You don’t have to force yourself.” Yeorum looked at her, “Your body is weak. Remember last year? When you forced yourself because you didn’t want to miss the field trip and you got hospitalized.”

Mari gave her an awkward smile, “But, I’m really fine right now! Please, Yeorum.”

Yeorum started to smile, “But if you’re tired, I’m going to call Vernon. Okay?”

“Okay.” Mari chuckled.

***

“I can’t believe we are really doing this.”

Hoshi said as he stared up to the building in front of him.

“I didn’t ask you to come with me.” Vernon said, and turned toward Hoshi, “Then why are you guys coming with me?”

“We didn’t know that you would skip the class to come here.” Wonwoo said.

“But, What did you come here, Hansol?” Mingyu asked. “Did you came to see Mari?”

Vernon laughed in disbelief, “Why would I come here to see her? Hah.”

“Then? Did you came to see Seungcheol hyung? Jeonghan hyung or Jisoo hyung?” Hoshi blinked innocently.

Vernon looked at him and smacked him on his head.

“Yah! What are you doing!” Hoshi winced in pain.

“You guys go somewhere. Don’t follow me!” Vernon waved his hand and walked into Mari’s school.

“What is he doing actually?” Wonwoo shook his head. “Let’s go,” And left with Hoshi and Mingyu.

Vernon was arrived in front of the Infirmary of the school. He asked to the teachers and got permission to come into the school. He put his hand on the door knob and finally opened it.

There was no one there. He looked around and found someone was lying on the bed. He relieved and started to approach Mari.

“Yah,” He softly called.

Mari turned her body and widened her eyes when she saw Vernon was in front of her. In her school.

She sat up and looked around and then looked at Vernon.

“Hansol?! What are you doing here?! In my school?!” Mari asked.

Vernon sat down on a chair next to the bed and stared to Mari, “You okay?”

“Hansol! Did you skip your class?!” Mari kept asking.

“I heard you’re exhausted.”

“Why did you come here?! Are you crazy?!”

Vernon closed his eyes as he was tired to hear Mari’s questions. “Seems like you’re just fine.”

Mari blinked, “Did you come here… to see me?”

“I came here because I heard you didn’t want to go home because the camp fire. Are you crazy?”

Mari paused. She didn’t know what to say. She knew that she will always lose everytime they’re arguing with each other.

“And because you want to be with Seungcheol hyung?” Vernon said again, “I…I—It’s not like I don’t like it but you have to rest. You know what will happen everytime you’re too exhausted.”

Mari didn’t say anything. Someone knocked on the door, they turned to the door and saw Seungcheol walked into the room.

Seungcheol was surprised to see Vernon was there, “Vernon? What are you doing here?”

Vernon grinned.

“You skip the class? It’s very rare.” Seungcheol chuckled. “How are you, Mari? Yeorum said that you’re sick.”

“I-I’m fine now, Sunbae.”

“Don’t force yourself.” Seungcheol smiled, “You can go home.”

“But, I don’t want to miss tonight!”

Seungcheol raised an eyebrow, “There’s nothing special tonight.”

“But—“

I want to be with you. I want to be closer to you…

Vernon turned to Mari. It was like he could read her mind. That she wanted to be with Seungcheol and got more closer with him.

“She will go home.” Vernon suddenly said, “I already told her teacher.”

“Hansol!”

Seungcheol nodded in agreement, “You should.”

“Can you tell Yeorum to pack her belongings, hyung?”

“Sure.” Seungcheol replied and turned to Mari as he patted her head, “Get well soon, Mari.” And left the room.

Mari turned to Vernon in disbelief, “Why did you do that?! I don’t want to go home!”

“Stop being such a kid. You should get some rest.” Vernon quietly said.

“But—“ “Kim Mari.” Vernon stared at Mari with a serious look.

Mari stared back at him and turned away her face. “I thought you supported me.”

“Not this time.” Vernon stood up of the chair when someone came into the room. It was Mari’s teacher. Mari saw him talking to the teacher and he bowed to the teacher.

After that, Yeorum came, bringing Mari’s bag.

“Get well soon, Mari! You should get some rest. You can’t be tired.” Yeorum said as she gave Mari her bag.

Without saying anything, Mari took the bag and wear her jacket then she walked out of the infirmary.

Yeorum blinked, “What’s going on?”

“She’s mad at me.” Vernon replied, “Thank you.”

“Why?”

Vernon shrugged, “Because I came to bring her home? See you.”

***

Night had come. Mari was lying in her room. She was thinking about the camp fire. She didn’t want to text Yeorum either. She didn’t want to know either but she was curious.

There was a knock on her window and she knew it was Vernon. She pulled her blanket over to her body then she heard Vernon’s voice.

“Mari? I know you’re not sleeping.”

Mari didn’t say anything and Vernon kept talking.

“I know you’re upset but I don’t think I’m wrong.” He said, “I brought you home because I care. I don’t want you to get into hospital again. About you and Seungcheol hyung, I’m sure there will be another chances.”

There was a long silence until Vernon continued, “Okay. Get some rest. I…I… Whatever. Good night, Mari…”

Mari didn’t hear his voice again. She pulled away the blanket and sat up on her bed. She stared through her window, where Vernon’s room is. She shook her head and lay down again.